Royal Caribbean transfer from Ravenna to Venice

F19810

12 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I'm curious where they heard there will be no trains. From the cruise staff?  If so, seems like a ploy designed to sell their own transfers....

Minor thing called weather … train tracks damaged….do you not follow the news? 

https://www.railtech.com/infrastructure/2023/05/24/flooding-of-railway-lines-near-bologna-costs-rfi-90-million/

23 minutes ago, little britain said:

Minor thing called weather … train tracks damaged….do you not follow the news? 

https://www.railtech.com/infrastructure/2023/05/24/flooding-of-railway-lines-near-bologna-costs-rfi-90-million/

Goodness, no need to be snippish. It's not exactly common broadcast news here in the USA but yes am trying to follow it.

I read in an article earlier that (and I quote): "High Speed, InterCity and regional trains are running as normal in the Emilia-Romagna region."

https://www.euronews.com/travel/2023/05/19/italy-travel-warning-everything-you-need-to-know-as-apocalyptic-floods-hit-emilia-romagna

Which includes Bologna and Ravenna. Hence my query.  

IMG_0151.jpeg

So, is this the normal departure information for Ravenna?  RCL and CC sells transfers to:

1.  Marco Polo Airport near Venice

2.  Bologna Guglielmo Airport

3.  Tronchetto City Centre (drop off point for Venice and surrounding area)

4.  Ravenna Train Station

5.  Bologna Train Station

To me, it doesn't matter the price for any of these.  It's like parking at the port - a necessary expense.

28 minutes ago, RocCruisers said:

IMG_0151.jpeg

So, is this the normal departure information for Ravenna?  RCL and CC sells transfers to:

1.  Marco Polo Airport near Venice

2.  Bologna Guglielmo Airport

3.  Tronchetto City Centre (drop off point for Venice and surrounding area)

4.  Ravenna Train Station

5.  Bologna Train Station

To me, it doesn't matter the price for any of these.  It's like parking at the port - a necessary expense.

That's probably as "normal" as you can expect.  That was indeed to offerings for my Explorer cruise to/from Ravenna earlier this month before the flooding.  Of course, anything is subject to change.  I would add that those transfers, with the possible exception of the one to/from the Ravenna train station, can be reserved in advance of your cruise by calling Royal Caribbean.  Not all agents are experience selling transfers, but if you get the right agent, they should be able to get it done for you so you're not worrying about it on the ship. I believe they were all purchasable ON the ship as well.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So it sounds like as long as the trains are operating, Royal Caribbean has shuttles from the Cruise Terminal at Porto Corsini to the train stations in both Ravenna and Bologna.  My concern is getting to the cruise ship terminal from Ravenna.  Are there shuttles for that?

5 hours ago, Jimani7 said:

So it sounds like as long as the trains are operating, Royal Caribbean has shuttles from the Cruise Terminal at Porto Corsini to the train stations in both Ravenna and Bologna.  My concern is getting to the cruise ship terminal from Ravenna.  Are there shuttles for that?

Im pretty certain that the transfer buses taking taking people to the train station from the ship also take people arriving at the train station for the next cruise to the ship.  The buses just run a loop.  This was mentioned in a post on another social media site I was following when I was in Ravenna last month for my cruise.  People were giving their cabin number to someone on the bus so they could charge you the $10 per person.  However, I also read that those shuttles stopped at 3pm.  

Thank you so much for this response.  That would have been my thought, but I had not seen it addressed previously.

We are staying at a hotel in Ravenna overnight, so we would just need to get to the station that morning.

14 hours ago, Mick B said:

Hi

Yes believe it or not but I did make it

I will give full details later this week when I get back from Barcelona

Mick

Went into Schooner a few times but didn’t spot you! Hope you had a good cruise. 

17 hours ago, Jimani7 said:

Thank you so much for this response.  That would have been my thought, but I had not seen it addressed previously.

We are staying at a hotel in Ravenna overnight, so we would just need to get to the station that morning.

Correct.  I also read that there was a Royal Caribbean person greeting people as they got off the trains and directed them to the bus location.  I believe the bus location was actually in a nearby bus terminal.  So look for the greeter in the train station and/or scope out the train/bus stations the night before.  I believe there is a back entrance to the train station that gets you closer to the bus terminal via a tunnel under the road.

Hi,

Now back in the UK and got access to a keyboard to type.

yes, I made the cruise, in fact I was onboard for just after 11am on the Monday.

A grand miracle!

Firstly, TFL shut the London Underground between Acton Town and LHR so had to change to a bus service with cases.

Secondly, my flight to Bologna had a technical issue and we were delayed for 3 hours and didn't get to our hotel until 2200. Luckily there was a nice restaurant round the corner still open on a Sunday night.

I went to Bologna Centrale for my 0905 train to Ravenna which was running as the train company said they had just opened Ravenna FS that morning. However 2 minutes before the train was due they switch the platform from 8 to 11 but only announced it in Italian and we only knew what was happening as we watched everyone else on the platform vanish. We made it to the train just as the doors were shutting.

The train was running slow and built up a delay (possibly due to track issues from the floods) and pulled in to Ravenna 10 minutes late.

I found the ticket office for the no.90 bus and paid the Euro 2.10 each for us. I shown the lady my cases and offered to pay extra for them but she said we would be OK.

The bus was in and there was just enough room for all of us. About 4 other couples had chosen to do this bus too.

I had googled the roads leading to the port so knew where to get off as a local Italian lady had told some of the other cruisers to get off at the wrong stop and I knew we had to go round the corner. It was a warm dry day and the walk to the ship took about 15 minutes.

We entered the terminal and hardly any other passengers were there so walked straight on to the ship.

I am sorry if I missed anyone at the Schooner Bar but we normally go there just for the quiz, but all the quizzes were in either Centrum or Spotlight Lounge so only passed through the Schooner to go elsewhere as only a Piano player was on each time we passed through.

I was told the ship was full and there were no rooms spare so all my attempts at at a Royal Up were declined - not surprised and not too bothered either as our room was quiet and we managed to get around the ship without any issues.

The ship was now starting to look a bit run down in places. The Diamond lounge was never full and we actually went in there for several breakfasts and several happy hours and got the same seats each time. Never been able to do that before.

Finally got to get inside the Vatican (via RCI trip) after nearly 20 years of trying. Nice to pay for VIP jump the queue as we could not have waited in the long lines outside. This was the only trip we booked and for that reason.

I have now booked a 15 night TA next April on the Jewel from Ft Lauderdale to Southampton for my wife's 60th. I have got my TA to sort the flights, hotels and transfers as I do not ever want a repeat of all the stress sorting this holiday out has caused.

Anyway, now things are running correctly again in Italy, It is possible to get the local trains to and from Ravenna FS and Bologna Centrale and get the local no.90 bus to and from the port and Ravenna FS with average sized suitcases.

Hope this helps someone else in the future.

Mick.

Edited by Mick B
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi fellow cruisers,

I must say this is the hardest transfers I have ever had to book. If anyone can help simplify things I would appreciate any help.

We are flying to Rome and spending 4 nights we then need to transfer to Ravenna for an over night stay and board ship next day. We get off the ship and then travel to Venice three nights.

Any suggestions would be so helpful. I booked this cruise directly with the cruise line.

We have been preparing for Explorer of the Seas out of Ravenna on July 16, returning July 30.  We fly into Bologna on July 15, taking the train (Marconi Express) from Bologna Airport (BLQ) to Bologna Centrale and then a train from Bologna Centrale to Ravenna on July 16 and staying overnight in Ravenna.  We will then take the bus from Ravenna to the cruise port.  We understand the bus station is behind the central train station in Ravenna.  Buses will be running between the station and the cruise port.  (Information on the buses taken from previous posts above in this thread).

Upon return on Explorer, we will take the bus from the cruise port to the Ravenna train station, and then take the train from Ravenna to Bologna, and stay overnight in Bologna, taking the Marconi Express to Bologna Airport the next morning.

On Trenitalia, there are between 5 and 8 routes from Roma to Ravenna daily, dependent upon the day of the week.  Most involve 2 train changes, and some involve 3.  Average time is between 6 and 8 hours.  (From the Trenitalia webpage). Once in Ravenna, you can take the bus to the cruise ship the day of the cruise departure.

Getting to Venice upon your return is easier, and can be arranged through the Cruise Line via bus, or via train from Ravenna to Venezia.  There are many trains daily.  In addition, the Cruise Line offers direct transfers via bus to Venice.  Also see previous posts in this thread for details.

From Rome to Ravenna there's really no good bus alternative either, unfortunately.  The fastest option is direct and takes five and a half hours, but only runs once per day and doesn't arrive to Ravenna until 9:30 PM.  If you're staying overnight in Ravenna before a cruise, then it might make sense.  

Bus schedule Rome-Ravenna:  Tariffario-Ravenna-online-2023.pdf (sulga.it)

Other bus lines, like Flixbus, require a change en route and take much longer.

The Frecce to Bologna followed by a regionale to Ravenna is probably your best bet.

We flew in and out of Rome for a cruise out Ravenna and trained it there and back.  From our experience:

For Rome to Ravenna, if booking a high speed train from Rome Termini station to Bologna Central, try to do so sooner than later to try to get a discounted fare.  Seating is reserved.  Note there are two major high speed operators:  TrenItalia and Italo.  We took TrenItalia there and Italo back and found them to be comparable.  They have an English version of their website.  We found Italo has some reps by their ticket machines at the stations to help travelers book.

The train from Bologna Central to Ravenna is kind of a TrenItalia commuter train that seems to run hourly at a set price of 8e with no reserved seats.  We initially had some problem finding all train times for this segment on the TrenItalia website so we just bought this ticket when we arrived in Rome.

We found a Celebrity coach transfer to the port at the Ravenna train station starting at 11am.  I'm assuming other lines would have something similar?

+1 on the ease of a coach transfer offered by the ship from the port to Venice.

1 hour ago, Jimani7 said:

On Trenitalia, there are between 5 and 8 routes from Roma to Ravenna daily, dependent upon the day of the week.  Most involve 2 train changes, and some involve 3.  Average time is between 6 and 8 hours.  (From the Trenitalia webpage).

This info isn't correct.

I have taken the train from Rome to Ravenna and it's no more difficult than taking it from Venice to Ravenna -- each involves one transfer. (But coming from Rome it does take a little longer.)

I just looked up a random date for upcoming options from Rome to Ravenna on Trenitalia (see snip below, this is just a part of the daily schedule). The best options will be to use the high speed (Frecce) train from Rome to Bologna, then the regional (Regionale) line from Bologna to Ravenna. This routing is offered several times daily and takes about 3 hours and 30 minutes.

image.thumb.png.85dd81513e10a219235ae0e87f159e32.png

On 6/10/2023 at 8:57 AM, Mick B said:

Hi,

Now back in the UK and got access to a keyboard to type.

yes, I made the cruise, in fact I was onboard for just after 11am on the Monday.

A grand miracle!

Firstly, TFL shut the London Underground between Acton Town and LHR so had to change to a bus service with cases.

Secondly, my flight to Bologna had a technical issue and we were delayed for 3 hours and didn't get to our hotel until 2200. Luckily there was a nice restaurant round the corner still open on a Sunday night.

I went to Bologna Centrale for my 0905 train to Ravenna which was running as the train company said they had just opened Ravenna FS that morning. However 2 minutes before the train was due they switch the platform from 8 to 11 but only announced it in Italian and we only knew what was happening as we watched everyone else on the platform vanish. We made it to the train just as the doors were shutting.

The train was running slow and built up a delay (possibly due to track issues from the floods) and pulled in to Ravenna 10 minutes late.

I found the ticket office for the no.90 bus and paid the Euro 2.10 each for us. I shown the lady my cases and offered to pay extra for them but she said we would be OK.

The bus was in and there was just enough room for all of us. About 4 other couples had chosen to do this bus too.

I had googled the roads leading to the port so knew where to get off as a local Italian lady had told some of the other cruisers to get off at the wrong stop and I knew we had to go round the corner. It was a warm dry day and the walk to the ship took about 15 minutes.

We entered the terminal and hardly any other passengers were there so walked straight on to the ship.

I am sorry if I missed anyone at the Schooner Bar but we normally go there just for the quiz, but all the quizzes were in either Centrum or Spotlight Lounge so only passed through the Schooner to go elsewhere as only a Piano player was on each time we passed through.

I was told the ship was full and there were no rooms spare so all my attempts at at a Royal Up were declined - not surprised and not too bothered either as our room was quiet and we managed to get around the ship without any issues.

The ship was now starting to look a bit run down in places. The Diamond lounge was never full and we actually went in there for several breakfasts and several happy hours and got the same seats each time. Never been able to do that before.

Finally got to get inside the Vatican (via RCI trip) after nearly 20 years of trying. Nice to pay for VIP jump the queue as we could not have waited in the long lines outside. This was the only trip we booked and for that reason.

II have now booked a 15 night TA next April on the Jewel from Ft Lauderdale to Southampton for my wife's 60th. I have got my TA to sort the flights, hotels and transfers as I do not ever want a repeat of all the stress sorting this holiday out has caused.

Anyway, now things are running correctly again in Italy, It is possible to get the local trains to and from Ravenna FS and Bologna Centrale and get the local no.90 bus to and from the port and Ravenna FS with average sized suitcases.

Hope this helps someone else in the future.

Mick.

Mick - reading your posts have given me anxiety LOL.  We aren't sailing til October 2024 also on the Explorer and navigating to Ravenna is overwhelming.  So...couple of questions....would I be able to fly into VCE, I know Bologna is easier, but never seeing Venice, I would really like to spend a couple days, take the train from the airport to  a hotel, on my own, without transfer, then take the train to Ravenna and then bus #90? What area do you recommend?  Piazza Roma near the train station?  Thanks for posting

39 minutes ago, jonsmom said:

Mick - reading your posts have given me anxiety LOL.  We aren't sailing til October 2024 also on the Explorer and navigating to Ravenna is overwhelming.  So...couple of questions....would I be able to fly into VCE, I know Bologna is easier, but never seeing Venice, I would really like to spend a couple days, take the train from the airport to  a hotel, on my own, without transfer, then take the train to Ravenna and then bus #90? What area do you recommend?  Piazza Roma near the train station?  Thanks for posting

Why don't you take Royal's transfer from Venice to Ravenna?  I'm taking it from Ravenna to Venice after my trip.  Believe that I paid $58 from Ravenna to Venice and $38 from Bologna to Ravenna.

Judy

It all comes down to a few things. The time you have and the amount of money you wish/have to spend.

The first thing here is that for anyone who has NOT been to Venice before, then this is a MUST.

If you have the money then find a nice hotel on the actual island in the lagoon. If you are on a budget then there are plenty of hotels on land in nearby Mestre and there are plenty of trains, trams and buses that will ferry you to the main island.

If RCL or whatever cruise company are offering transfers from Venice to Ravenna's port then as long as you like bus rides of up to 2 hours then fine.

My advice, and this is only advice, is to to this...

Fly into Venice (either Marco Polo or Treviso which is about 12km north) and stay in a hotel in Mestre near the train station for 2 to 3 nights. From there you can easily catch all methods of transport into Venice and it doesn't cost the world. You can get a 1 or 3 day pass for vaparettas and buses too.

There is a really nice restaurant in Mestre called the Dante (on the Via Danta near the train station) which does all sorts of Italian food - Before Covid (and removal of ships from Venice) we used to visit this restaurant almost every year.

2 to 3 days in Venice will allow you the time to walk around the main Island and enjoy some of the fine restaurants and ride the Vaparettas. You may also find time to visit some of the smaller islands where glass is made or even go the the Lido and enjoy the beach. Yes there is a beach and I have also had a swim in the sea there too. Also on the Lido is a helipad and I have taken members of my family up in the small 4 seater helicopters a few times for great views which really show perspective of how Venice looks. Again not as expensive as you think. 

Now, if you really have time, then I would suggest making your way towards your ship after 2 or 3 days by taking the train (either from Santa Lucia or Mestre) to Bologna. It takes about an hour and a half and the first class/business class section comes with food/drink for not much more than a standard ticket.

I would suggest finding a hotel for 1 night near Bologna train station and there are plenty of hotels and restaurants around there. The reason for this is not just to make sure you are nearer the ship in case of any issues such as train strikes, but because Bologna is a really nice city to visit and you could do worse than spending a little time there exploring. 

On the day of the cruise you should be able to get a train from Bologna to Ravenna around 0905 which will get you to Ravenna for 1015. This train is regional and has no first class. It does have loads of room and racks to put your cases.

Once you get to Ravenna FS (and I suggest google maps to get a idea of where you are) you should walk over to the bus ticket office that has the word "START" outside. Buy your tickets and ask if you need to pay extra for your cases (sometimes you do if they are very large). The number 90 bus is just around the corner - there a a Kebab shop and a hotel called Ravenna near this stop. A bus at 1035 will get you to the town where the port is located for around 1100. There is another bus at 1135 but you will need to google as the times may change and may change again depending on time of the year. IIIR your stop is 2 stops after the PO stop. There was no signs on the bus as to where you are, but you can see some of the names on the stops themselves. It is quite easy, after leaving Ravenna the bus travels along several narrow roads with nothing bus grass, water and industrial units. It then goes over a bridge and the bus turns right into a town and this is the town you need. It goes along a longish road, past the PO and then turns right on a loop. As it turns right, this is your stop and a sign with "Cruise terminal" is across the road and you should see your ship in the distance. It is approx a 10 minute walk with cases to the ship with no shelter from the elements.

Of course, you could try and sort a taxi from Ravenna to the ship. I made enquiries on line and they were between 40 and 60 euros for the 8 mile trip.

So you have to weigh up the following.

The price and ease of a cruise transfer from Venice to the ship

or

the cost of the train to Bologna with a possible overnight stay and then the price of the train to Ravenna with the price of the bus tickets or taxi.

If you don't want to stay in Bologna (or have done it before) but want to be nearer the ship on the day, then you could change trains at Bologna or Ferrara and travel down to Ravenna and explore that town instead. There were hotels both near the train station/bus and even up near the cruise port too - although you would still need to take a taxi/bus to your hotel and the walk to the ship with cases could take some time as taxis a not very common around Ravenna.

I would imagine that if you are elderly, infirm or unsure then the cruise transfer is best for you, but if you like adventure and want to explore not just Venice but other parts of Italy whilst you are there and have the money and time to do so, then the train is not a bad option.

Hope this helps

Mick.

Edited by Mick B

2 hours ago, Mick B said:

It all comes down to a few things. The time you have and the amount of money you wish/have to spend.

The first thing here is that for anyone who has NOT been to Venice before, then this is a MUST.

If you have the money then find a nice hotel on the actual island in the lagoon. If you are on a budget then there are plenty of hotels on land in nearby Mestre and there are plenty of trains, trams and buses that will ferry you to the main island.

If RCL or whatever cruise company are offering transfers from Venice to Ravenna's port then as long as you like bus rides of up to 2 hours then fine.

My advice, and this is only advice, is to to this...

Fly into Venice (either Marco Polo or Treviso which is about 12km north) and stay in a hotel in Mestre near the train station for 2 to 3 nights. From there you can easily catch all methods of transport into Venice and it doesn't cost the world. You can get a 1 or 3 day pass for vaparettas and buses too.

There is a really nice restaurant in Mestre called the Dante (on the Via Danta near the train station) which does all sorts of Italian food - Before Covid (and removal of ships from Venice) we used to visit this restaurant almost every year.

2 to 3 days in Venice will allow you the time to walk around the main Island and enjoy some of the fine restaurants and ride the Vaparettas. You may also find time to visit some of the smaller islands where glass is made or even go the the Lido and enjoy the beach. Yes there is a beach and I have also had a swim in the sea there too. Also on the Lido is a helipad and I have taken members of my family up in the small 4 seater helicopters a few times for great views which really show perspective of how Venice looks. Again not as expensive as you think. 

Now, if you really have time, then I would suggest making your way towards your ship after 2 or 3 days by taking the train (either from Santa Lucia or Mestre) to Bologna. It takes about an hour and a half and the first class/business class section comes with food/drink for not much more than a standard ticket.

I would suggest finding a hotel for 1 night near Bologna train station and there are plenty of hotels and restaurants around there. The reason for this is not just to make sure you are nearer the ship in case of any issues such as train strikes, but because Bologna is a really nice city to visit and you could do worse than spending a little time there exploring. 

On the day of the cruise you should be able to get a train from Bologna to Ravenna around 0905 which will get you to Ravenna for 1015. This train is regional and has no first class. It does have loads of room and racks to put your cases.

Once you get to Ravenna FS (and I suggest google maps to get a idea of where you are) you should walk over to the bus ticket office that has the word "START" outside. Buy your tickets and ask if you need to pay extra for your cases (sometimes you do if they are very large). The number 90 bus is just around the corner - there a a Kebab shop and a hotel called Ravenna near this stop. A bus at 1035 will get you to the town where the port is located for around 1100. There is another bus at 1135 but you will need to google as the times may change and may change again depending on time of the year. IIIR your stop is 2 stops after the PO stop. There was no signs on the bus as to where you are, but you can see some of the names on the stops themselves. It is quite easy, after leaving Ravenna the bus travels along several narrow roads with nothing bus grass, water and industrial units. It then goes over a bridge and the bus turns right into a town and this is the town you need. It goes along a longish road, past the PO and then turns right on a loop. As it turns right, this is your stop and a sign with "Cruise terminal" is across the road and you should see your ship in the distance. It is approx a 10 minute walk with cases to the ship with no shelter from the elements.

Of course, you could try and sort a taxi from Ravenna to the ship. I made enquiries on line and they were between 40 and 60 euros for the 8 mile trip.

So you have to weigh up the following.

The price and ease of a cruise transfer from Venice to the ship

or

the cost of the train to Bologna with a possible overnight stay and then the price of the train to Ravenna with the price of the bus tickets or taxi.

If you don't want to stay in Bologna (or have done it before) but want to be nearer the ship on the day, then you could change trains at Bologna or Ferrara and travel down to Ravenna and explore that town instead. There were hotels both near the train station/bus and even up near the cruise port too - although you would still need to take a taxi/bus to your hotel and the walk to the ship with cases could take some time as taxis a not very common around Ravenna.

I would imagine that if you are elderly, infirm or unsure then the cruise transfer is best for you, but if you like adventure and want to explore not just Venice but other parts of Italy whilst you are there and have the money and time to do so, then the train is not a bad option.

Hope this helps

Mick.

Wow! Just Wow! Thanks for taking all this time to provide me with all this information.  I have already copied and pasted it to my Google Itinerary.

I have no problem with staying outside of the island and traveling onto the island every day.  Is Mestre where most of the cruise line shuttles depart from?  I think that's what is giving me the most anxiety...if I stayed in the lagoon area, how would I get to the cruise line's shuttles? 

I thought perhaps staying near the train station would make it easier to get to Ravenna.

You reference Ravenna FS - what is Ravenna FS?

I have been to Italy many times, I have a trip coming up in October.  Traveling by land not sea, including Florence, Positano and Rome.  I have all of my trains figured out as well as VRBO stays.  Venice has me stymied.  

Thanks again!

18 minutes ago, jonsmom said:

You reference Ravenna FS - what is Ravenna FS?

Ferrovie dello Stato Italian, or State Rail of Italy, it simply identifies the station as a Trenitalia station (to distinguish it from stations for local/private train lines).