Royal Caribbean transfer from Ravenna to Venice

F19810

1 minute ago, euro cruiser said:

Ferrovie dello Stato Italian, or State Rail of Italy, it simply identifies the station as a Trenitalia station (to distinguish it from stations for local/private train lines).

Thank you

21 minutes ago, jonsmom said:

I have no problem with staying outside of the island and traveling onto the island every day.  Is Mestre where most of the cruise line shuttles depart from?  I think that's what is giving me the most anxiety...if I stayed in the lagoon area, how would I get to the cruise line's shuttles? 

I don't know about "most", but many depart from Tronchetto, which is not on the mainland.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jonsmom said:

I have no problem with staying outside of the island and traveling onto the island every day.  Is Mestre where most of the cruise line shuttles depart from?  I think that's what is giving me the most anxiety...if I stayed in the lagoon area, how would I get to the cruise line's shuttles? 

I thought perhaps staying near the train station would make it easier to get to Ravenna.

To try to clarify...

Mestre is a town on the mainland, basically the next train stop from Venice proper.

Mestre is NOT where the cruise line shuttles depart from. They are actually quite convenient if you stay near the train station in Venice (which is called Venezia -- Santa Lucia station). That station is in Venice, pretty much at the last bit of land navigable by wheeled vehicles. Beyond that point you'll need some type of boat to get around.

The area immediately around the train station and also where regular buses drop off and pick up is called Piazzale Roma. This is generally considered the MOST practical place for cruisers to stay. It is close enough that you are in Venice and can just walk or use the vaporetti (sort of like a bus on the water) to get around. There hotels on this Piazzale that do not require you to cross any bridges toting luggage if you arrive from the airport. (If you arrive by train, you'd have to cross one bridge).

If you stay in a hotel on or near Piazzale Roma, you can easily get to the ship shuttles that will take you to Ravenna. There is a sort of "monorail" that you can board right from Piazzale Roma that takes you to Tronchetto, where the shuttle buses will be loading. It's quite easy -- it's the same transportation that people used to use to get to the main port in Venice when cruises were still allowed to dock there, and it was designed with ease in mind -- there are elevators, ticket kiosks, etc. You simply get your ticket, get on, and stay on until you reach the last stop, which is Tronchetto.

There is a very helpful website that explains in detail all about the various modes of transportation in and around Venice, as well as providing some suggestions for hotels located in this Piazzale Roma area. It's worth reading and getting familiar with it:   https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/

I would never recommend staying in Mestre to see Venice, but for me location is important. I want to look out my window and see Venice; walk out the door and BE there. Makes it so much easier to enjoy a dinner and late stroll without worrying about getting back to one's hotel. Especially on a first visit, I would highly recommend that you stay IN Venice to experience the magic.

Also just a note -- there are many types of transportation in Venice, even though it's on the water. Many people love to tout the water taxis, but they are very pricey. Me, I'd rather spend the money on a good, well located hotel. There are two buses from the airport that depart frequently, are designed to carry luggage and will get you to Venice (e.g., Piazzale Roma) faster than a water taxi -- and for about a tenth of the cost.

Hi,

To the best of my knowledge Mestre is NOT where any cruise line shuttle buses operate.

IIRC they go from either Marco Polo airport or from the cruise terminal in Venice itself.

You should be able to reach out to your TA or your cruise line for info, if they don't provide you with that nearer the time.

Just before my last cruise Royal emailed me to say there were also transfers from Bologna Centrale to the ship but not from Ravenna train station (although that may have been because of the recent floods) , although other cruise lines do offer transfers from Ravenna if I have read the posts correctly.

One of my main gripes with the port of Ravenna is that the town itself only has a single bus that goes near the port and the timetable for this is all over the place and the town does not have anywhere near enough taxis to cater for all cruise ship passengers who choose to travel there by train. 

You really would think after a few years of cruise lines using this port (and probably will do for some years to come) that better infrastructure would now be in place.

Also, you would think that the town of Ravenna would want to cater for more cruise ship passengers the day/night before they get on their ship and make money out of them through hotels and restaurants etc. I have read that there is some good history to be found around the town.

I know that a lot of customers use the transfer from Venice itself, but depending on the time you can get off work and the availability of flights on certain days, it isn't always possible to travel to Venice first and if you do,  it may be that there is insufficient time left once you arrive to enjoy it properly before travelling to Ravenna - and you need time to enjoy Venice!

Mick.

22 minutes ago, Mick B said:

Hi,

To the best of my knowledge Mestre is NOT where any cruise line shuttle buses operate.

IIRC they go from either Marco Polo airport or from the cruise terminal in Venice itself.

You should be able to reach out to your TA or your cruise line for info, if they don't provide you with that nearer the time.

Just before my last cruise Royal emailed me to say there were also transfers from Bologna Centrale to the ship but not from Ravenna train station (although that may have been because of the recent floods) , although other cruise lines do offer transfers from Ravenna if I have read the posts correctly.

One of my main gripes with the port of Ravenna is that the town itself only has a single bus that goes near the port and the timetable for this is all over the place and the town does not have anywhere near enough taxis to cater for all cruise ship passengers who choose to travel there by train. 

You really would think after a few years of cruise lines using this port (and probably will do for some years to come) that better infrastructure would now be in place.

Also, you would think that the town of Ravenna would want to cater for more cruise ship passengers the day/night before they get on their ship and make money out of them through hotels and restaurants etc. I have read that there is some good history to be found around the town.

I know that a lot of customers use the transfer from Venice itself, but depending on the time you can get off work and the availability of flights on certain days, it isn't always possible to travel to Venice first and if you do,  it may be that there is insufficient time left once you arrive to enjoy it properly before travelling to Ravenna - and you need time to enjoy Venice!

Mick.

I totally agree. Again thanks for taking the time to reply.  Sounds like Ravenna is missing quite an opportunity for tourism.

46 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

To try to clarify...

Mestre is a town on the mainland, basically the next train stop from Venice proper.

Mestre is NOT where the cruise line shuttles depart from. They are actually quite convenient if you stay near the train station in Venice (which is called Venezia -- Santa Lucia station). That station is in Venice, pretty much at the last bit of land navigable by wheeled vehicles. Beyond that point you'll need some type of boat to get around.

The area immediately around the train station and also where regular buses drop off and pick up is called Piazzale Roma. This is generally considered the MOST practical place for cruisers to stay. It is close enough that you are in Venice and can just walk or use the vaporetti (sort of like a bus on the water) to get around. There hotels on this Piazzale that do not require you to cross any bridges toting luggage if you arrive from the airport. (If you arrive by train, you'd have to cross one bridge).

If you stay in a hotel on or near Piazzale Roma, you can easily get to the ship shuttles that will take you to Ravenna. There is a sort of "monorail" that you can board right from Piazzale Roma that takes you to Tronchetto, where the shuttle buses will be loading. It's quite easy -- it's the same transportation that people used to use to get to the main port in Venice when cruises were still allowed to dock there, and it was designed with ease in mind -- there are elevators, ticket kiosks, etc. You simply get your ticket, get on, and stay on until you reach the last stop, which is Tronchetto.

There is a very helpful website that explains in detail all about the various modes of transportation in and around Venice, as well as providing some suggestions for hotels located in this Piazzale Roma area. It's worth reading and getting familiar with it:   https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/

I would never recommend staying in Mestre to see Venice, but for me location is important. I want to look out my window and see Venice; walk out the door and BE there. Makes it so much easier to enjoy a dinner and late stroll without worrying about getting back to one's hotel. Especially on a first visit, I would highly recommend that you stay IN Venice to experience the magic.

Also just a note -- there are many types of transportation in Venice, even though it's on the water. Many people love to tout the water taxis, but they are very pricey. Me, I'd rather spend the money on a good, well located hotel. There are two buses from the airport that depart frequently, are designed to carry luggage and will get you to Venice (e.g., Piazzale Roma) faster than a water taxi -- and for about a tenth of the cost.

Thank you - my first instinct was to sty in the Piazzale Roma, the hotels are reasonable and there is a train station nearby. My TA advised that it would be too busy an area because of all the transportation nearby.  I think that is a benefit of staying in that area.  

I have bookmarked the website you attached and your helpful advice.  Thanks so much.

Joanne

So much great advice on this thread!  We just returned yesterday from our first trip to Italy...landed in Venice and stayed 2 nights, traveled to Bologna for 3 nights, traveled to Ravenna port for a 7-night cruise with Royal, and finished with one night in Venice (actually Murano) before flying home.  It was a lot of research to understand the transportation for this trip, but I just wanted to encourage those still in the planning stage that it is all more manageable on the ground than it sounds when in the midst of research.

On arrival at Marco Polo, we took the ACTV bus to Piazzale Roma, which was inexpensive, direct, and quick. Our hotel was in that area and a short hike over a bridge. Train station was a simple walk (with a large bridge - avoid anyone wanting to help you with your luggage), and we easily navigated the station and boarded a high-speed train for Bologna (93 minutes and we picked seats for that trip). Three days later we traveled by train from Bologna to Ravenna, with general seating on a local commuter train (70 minutes).

Upon arrival in Ravenna, we were greeted by Royal personnel who directed us to the pick area for the shuttle.  We had pre-booked this (not easy to do), but most just signed up on arrival.  

On the ship, passengers could sign up for shuttles after the cruise to Ravenna train, to Bologna train, to Bologna airport, to Venice airport, to Venice Piazzale Roma. We selected Venice airport since transport to Murano seemed easier from that spot. We used the Aliliguna water bus, which dropped off and picked up within feet of our hotel.

Others have far more experience than I do, but my experience is recent.  These boards are a huge help in planning travel so I wanted to give back any info I could.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, TKATeacher said:

So much great advice on this thread!  We just returned yesterday from our first trip to Italy...landed in Venice and stayed 2 nights, traveled to Bologna for 3 nights, traveled to Ravenna port for a 7-night cruise with Royal, and finished with one night in Venice (actually Murano) before flying home.  It was a lot of research to understand the transportation for this trip, but I just wanted to encourage those still in the planning stage that it is all more manageable on the ground than it sounds when in the midst of research.

On arrival at Marco Polo, we took the ACTV bus to Piazzale Roma, which was inexpensive, direct, and quick. Our hotel was in that area and a short hike over a bridge. Train station was a simple walk (with a large bridge - avoid anyone wanting to help you with your luggage), and we easily navigated the station and boarded a high-speed train for Bologna (93 minutes and we picked seats for that trip). Three days later we traveled by train from Bologna to Ravenna, with general seating on a local commuter train (70 minutes).

Upon arrival in Ravenna, we were greeted by Royal personnel who directed us to the pick area for the shuttle.  We had pre-booked this (not easy to do), but most just signed up on arrival.  

On the ship, passengers could sign up for shuttles after the cruise to Ravenna train, to Bologna train, to Bologna airport, to Venice airport, to Venice Piazzale Roma. We selected Venice airport since transport to Murano seemed easier from that spot. We used the Aliliguna water bus, which dropped off and picked up within feet of our hotel.

Others have far more experience than I do, but my experience is recent.  These boards are a huge help in planning travel so I wanted to give back any info I could.

Welcome back. Originally I thought about flying into Bologna but decided I really wanted to see Venice. I would regret it.

Maybe we will look at flying out of Bologna. It's probably less $$

If you don't mind me asking, where did you stay in Venice?

So you used the Alliguana bus to get to Murano?

Interesting strategy to get to Ravenna thru Bologna 

7 hours ago, jonsmom said:

Welcome back. Originally I thought about flying into Bologna but decided I really wanted to see Venice. I would regret it.

Maybe we will look at flying out of Bologna. It's probably less $$

If you don't mind me asking, where did you stay in Venice?

So you used the Alliguana bus to get to Murano?

Interesting strategy to get to Ravenna thru Bologna 

In Venice on arrival, we stayed at the Hotel Arlecchino right in Piazzale Roma.  It is a smaller hotel with a more moderate price, and since we needed 2 rooms for our family of 4 that played a factor. However, the hotel met all of our needs well and it was a great welcome to Italy stay.

Getting reasonable flights was a long process for us, and we stayed open to flying anywhere in Italy for a reasonable price before settling on Venice.  I read mixed reviews on Venice prior to our travel, but we were really completely charmed by this city!

Yes, we used Alliguna. One of the challenges in Italy and specifically Venice is that there are 2 of everything...2 bus companies from Marco Polo (ACTV and ATVO), 2 water bus options (Allilguna and ACTV Vaporetto), and various train companies.

Bologna became a hub for us in our planning process because we knew we wanted to work our way toward Ravenna and we wanted good train access. It is a larger multi-level station. We did a day trip to Florence during our stay in Bologna (spectacular). We also found a reasonable Airbnb to accommodate our group right in the heart of the old city of Bologna.  

I am happy to answer any questions I can.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TKATeacher said:

In Venice on arrival, we stayed at the Hotel Arlecchino right in Piazzale Roma.  It is a smaller hotel with a more moderate price, and since we needed 2 rooms for our family of 4 that played a factor. However, the hotel met all of our needs well and it was a great welcome to Italy stay.

Getting reasonable flights was a long process for us, and we stayed open to flying anywhere in Italy for a reasonable price before settling on Venice.  I read mixed reviews on Venice prior to our travel, but we were really completely charmed by this city!

Yes, we used Alliguna. One of the challenges in Italy and specifically Venice is that there are 2 of everything...2 bus companies from Marco Polo (ACTV and ATVO), 2 water bus options (Allilguna and ACTV Vaporetto), and various train companies.

Bologna became a hub for us in our planning process because we knew we wanted to work our way toward Ravenna and we wanted good train access. It is a larger multi-level station. We did a day trip to Florence during our stay in Bologna (spectacular). We also found a reasonable Airbnb to accommodate our group right in the heart of the old city of Bologna.  

Did you enjoy Bologna?  All these modes of transportation are dizzying. Is that a word? Where did you cruise to?

3 minutes ago, jonsmom said:

Did you enjoy Bologna?  All these modes of transportation are dizzying. Is that a word? Where did you cruise to?

Yes, all the Italian modes of transport are stressful. Doing the research really helped me get my bearings and actual travel was fine. We really liked Bologna and it had so much to offer...historical aspects, parks to explore, fabulous food, and lots to do well into the evening. Our girls are 18 and 22, so I was pretty confident this college town would have an energy they would enjoy. They shut down the streets to vehicles on the weekend in the older section where we stayed, and it was a like a bug block party.  There was an event in town when we visited (Various Voices) and we literally awoke one morning to magnificent singing (a male acapella group) serenading us in Italian directly under our window. It was magical! There was also a big flea market type of event happening on Saturday...it was a great way to pick up a few fun souvenirs at reasonable costs. We would not hesitate to stay in Bologna again.

We cruised with Royal to Croatia (Split and Dubrovnik) and Greece (Santorini and Athens). The trip was a graduation (one from high school and one from college) gift for our daughters.

• Like 3

+1 for visiting Bologna.  We did an overnight there post cruise and really enjoyed it.  Great food.  Walkable core.  Beautiful main square and other piazzas.   Porticoes that provide reprieve from the sun and rain.  Way less crowded than Florence and Rome where we went to on our next legs.  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, TKATeacher said:

Thank you so much for sharing your experience.  Your insight and info is very helpful.  I do have a few questions for you.  We are flying into BLQ and our flight arrives quite late at 10pm.  We planned on taking the Marconi Express (10min) from BLQ to Bologna Centrale Station... seemed the fastest way. Can we purchase the tickets €11pp at the ticket kiosks on the spot?  On the Marconi Express website, you can purchase the tickets ahead of time.  From Bologna Centrale, we were planning to take a 10 min bus ride which stops very close to our hotel in the old city. Did you use the bus in Bologna?  Can you purchase bus tickets from the bus driver on the spot?  Is there only UberX in Bologna? Are taxis better to use in Italy than UberX?  We are looking forward to our stay in Bologna.. great food and sights!  Any advice is appreciated.  TIA

2 hours ago, TeamCan said:

Thank you so much for sharing your experience.  Your insight and info is very helpful.  I do have a few questions for you.  We are flying into BLQ and our flight arrives quite late at 10pm.  We planned on taking the Marconi Express (10min) from BLQ to Bologna Centrale Station... seemed the fastest way. Can we purchase the tickets €11pp at the ticket kiosks on the spot?  On the Marconi Express website, you can purchase the tickets ahead of time.  From Bologna Centrale, we were planning to take a 10 min bus ride which stops very close to our hotel in the old city. Did you use the bus in Bologna?  Can you purchase bus tickets from the bus driver on the spot?  Is there only UberX in Bologna? Are taxis better to use in Italy than UberX?  We are looking forward to our stay in Bologna.. great food and sights!  Any advice is appreciated.  TIA

Bologna was not an early-to-bed town during our visit. This could change when the university is closed (August, I think).  We returned from our day trip to Florence around 10:30 at night; the streets were full of people and the train station was active. We purchased all of our train tickets ahead online, so no experience with kiosk purchases for the train or with Bologna airport...sorry. We also did not use the bus system.  Everything we wanted was walkable from our location. In our experience, there were always taxis directly outside of the main train station entrance waiting for customers.

2 minutes ago, TKATeacher said:

Bologna was not an early-to-bed town during our visit. This could change when the university is closed (August, I think).  We returned from our day trip to Florence around 10:30 at night; the streets were full of people and the train station was active. We purchased all of our train tickets ahead online, so no experience with kiosk purchases for the train or with Bologna airport...sorry. We also did not use the bus system.  Everything we wanted was walkable from our location. In our experience, there were always taxis directly outside of the main train station entrance waiting for customers.

Thanks for the info about taxis outside of Bologna Centrale.  After arriving on the Marconi Express into Bologna Centrale station, the bus was a convenient option to our hotel. Good to know taxis are always outside the station too.  All the sights are easily walkable from our hotel too. We're spending 2 days in Bologna then taking the train to Ravenna.  Thanks again!

We just returned from Celebrity cruise out of Ravenna. We used their shuttle from Troncetto to Ravenna. Celebrity provided complementary shuttles all day from port to Ravenna on embarkation day. Celebrity also provided convenient complementary shuttles in Zadar & Dubrovnik Croatia.

we stayed near Piazzale Roma in Venice at Hotel Olimpia and were very satisfied. Very convenient for vaporetti service.

• 4 weeks later...

Assuming I have a 12:55pm flight departing from Venice Airport, is it feasible to catch a 8am shuttle to from the Cruise ship and make my flight?

I've read here that's it about 2.5 hours.  So assuming its 3 hours to be safe, I would arrive at the airport at 11am and have 2 hours to complete check-in.  It is an international flight to Canada so it would be tight but feasible...

Any thoughts?

Thank you

8 minutes ago, Danor71 said:

Assuming I have a 12:55pm flight departing from Venice Airport, is it feasible to catch a 8am shuttle to from the Cruise ship and make my flight?

I've read here that's it about 2.5 hours.  So assuming its 3 hours to be safe, I would arrive at the airport at 11am and have 2 hours to complete check-in.  It is an international flight to Canada so it would be tight but feasible...

Any thoughts?

Thank you

Personally I would not.  The first shuttle ( I have a copy of the times from a sailing this year, though not my own sailing-I cannot find the list) was at 6:30AM and then every half hour (ish) thereafter.

Venice airport was a hot mess when I checked in for my flight and that was not on a ship day. I was in business class so I had fast pass through security (a much shorter line).

Could you make it?  Probably.  Should you?  That's on you.  When is the next flight?  Our shuttle did not stop for a rest room break but others did.  (No rhyme or reason as to which ones stop and which ones do not).

That said, I was on BA from VCE-LHR-EWR and the check in counter opened like 2.5 or 3 hours ahead so I got there 4 hours early as suggested and had time to kill.  LOL.  You know your level of comfort and stress. 

22 hours ago, megr1125 said:

Personally I would not.  The first shuttle ( I have a copy of the times from a sailing this year, though not my own sailing-I cannot find the list) was at 6:30AM and then every half hour (ish) thereafter.

Venice airport was a hot mess when I checked in for my flight and that was not on a ship day. I was in business class so I had fast pass through security (a much shorter line).

Could you make it?  Probably.  Should you?  That's on you.  When is the next flight?  Our shuttle did not stop for a rest room break but others did.  (No rhyme or reason as to which ones stop and which ones do not).

That said, I was on BA from VCE-LHR-EWR and the check in counter opened like 2.5 or 3 hours ahead so I got there 4 hours early as suggested and had time to kill.  LOL.  You know your level of comfort and stress. 

Thank you!  I always feel like I'm on Amazing Race in these situations.

• Haha 2

On 6/27/2023 at 4:16 PM, jonsmom said:

Thank you - my first instinct was to sty in the Piazzale Roma, the hotels are reasonable and there is a train station nearby. My TA advised that it would be too busy an area because of all the transportation nearby.  I think that is a benefit of staying in that area.  

I have bookmarked the website you attached and your helpful advice.  Thanks so much.

Joanne

I would recommend staying near the St Lucia train station.. If possible near the Guglie Vaporetto stop. 
You fly into VCE and you can then catch the Alilaguna Orange (Arancio) boat from the airport direct to Guglie and your accommodation!  The only way to arrive in Venice is by boat!

I say if you’re going to Venice then stay in Venice and not in Mestre which is soulless! 
There are many excellent authentic restaurants on the pavement between Guglie and Tre Archi Vaporetto stops.  Little supermarkets and a great bakery. 

On cruise day; you can then walk ( wheel your luggage) over the “glass” bridge outside the train station to Piazzale Roma and catch the People Mover to Tronchetto where the RCI reps will meet you and direct you to the coach. 

Hope this helps! 

Hi,

If staying on the island of Venice is too noisy or too expensive, then Mestre on the mainland is an OK place.

It is well connected and there are frequent buses from outside Mestre Train station to both Marco Polo airport and Treviso (which is about 12miles north).

There are also buses that go into Venice and trains straight into St Lucia train station and there is then only 1 bridge to carry your cases over and it is quite easy (so don't get tricked into letting anyone suggest helping you).

There is also a tram, but you do have to change if going from Mestre Train Station, but its easy and you get off one and walk round the corner and get the next.

Lastly, there are loads of really nice little hotels close to Mestre train station and there is (well was last time I was there) a lovely local restaurant on the Via Dante about 5 minutes away called the Dante which has some of the best local fish dishes going.

From Mestre to Venice will take around 30 minutes depending on the time of day. 

You could also arrange for a taxi too.

Last time I was there it was about 60 Euro for a hotel in Mestre and 600 Euro for one that backs onto a main area in Venice.

Mick.

Mick.

3 hours ago, Mick B said:

Hi,

If staying on the island of Venice is too noisy or too expensive, then Mestre on the mainland is an OK place.

It is well connected and there are frequent buses from outside Mestre Train station to both Marco Polo airport and Treviso (which is about 12miles north).

There are also buses that go into Venice and trains straight into St Lucia train station and there is then only 1 bridge to carry your cases over and it is quite easy (so don't get tricked into letting anyone suggest helping you).

There is also a tram, but you do have to change if going from Mestre Train Station, but its easy and you get off one and walk round the corner and get the next.

Lastly, there are loads of really nice little hotels close to Mestre train station and there is (well was last time I was there) a lovely local restaurant on the Via Dante about 5 minutes away called the Dante which has some of the best local fish dishes going.

Last time I was there it was about 60 Euro for a hotel in Mestre and 600 Euro for one that backs onto a main area in Venice.

Mick.

Mick.

Hi,

Mick.

T

Thanks - it may be worth looking at