Royal Caribbean transfer from Ravenna to Venice

F19810

1 hour ago, cuterlmt said:

. But other people thought that they had to start on the 2nd floor and weren't checking in with their airline first and had to be re-directed with the luggage to tag their luggage for their flight. And then you go through security and passport control. It wasn't really very difficult, just a very long line that took a long time to get through.

Thx for the explanation!  I never travel w/ checked luggage so I would have headed to Security.

I don't I'll ever fly direct to the US, but it's good to know what the proceedure is. 

Sounds like VCE is as chaotic as ever.  Too bad. When I flew out in Oct I was at my gate in less than an hour, so I hoped it was due to process improvents, but apparently it was just due to having a 6am flight.  Thx again for the info.

8 minutes ago, mapleleaves said:

Thx for the explanation!  I never travel w/ checked luggage so I would have headed to Security.

I don't I'll ever fly direct to the US, but it's good to know what the proceedure is. 

Sounds like VCE is as chaotic as ever.  Too bad. When I flew out in Oct I was at my gate in less than an hour, so I hoped it was due to process improvents, but apparently it was just due to having a 6am flight.  Thx again for the info.

We actually flew from VCE to FCO (Rome) the week before and it was pretty easy. We did have to check in with the airline and drop our luggage, but TSA was easy, and we just waited for the plane. The only odd thing was we didn't get a gate assignment until about 30 minutes before the flight. But much easier of course.

• Thanks 1

Hi all,

with less than 2 weeks to go to our cruise from Ravenna, RCI have now got back to me with an update for transfers.

Here is what they said...

Dear Mick,

Thank you for contacting our Customer Service Department regarding your upcoming cruise.

Thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean for your holiday, we offer tons of experiences that we hope you enjoy onboard!

Please be aware that the transfers we offer are from the Bologna Airport, Venice Marco Polo Airport or the Venice City Centre to the port of Ravenna. We don't have transfers from the Ravenna Citi Centre.

We would recommend checking options for public transportation, taxi or Uber services beforehand to avoid any issues on boarding day.

Well...
We are actually flying in to Bologna, but the night before and I now have an hotel booked for the night and train tickets to Revenna sorted for the morning of the cruise.

I have managed to find a bus from Ravenna to the port for a few Euro's, but if Royal had informed me of the transfers from Venice when I originally asked them then I may have opted to fly there on the Saturday before, but because they didn't we chose Bologna as a fail safe. I have suggested to my wife that we could go back to Bologna Airport on the day of the cruise and take the transfers with RCI from there to the ship, but he has told me that she does not trust them as on our last cruise transfers were cancelled at the last minute.

It was much simpler when the ships left from Venice. A couple of Euros on that overhead train, but sadly those days are gone.

Which brings me to my next point. Why then if Ravenna is going to be the home port for cruises around the Adriatic, hasn't something been put in place to give customers the facts about getting to the ship beforehand, instead of just a couple of weeks before when we have made alternative arrangements.

I have also been to my TA several times about this too and all they can say is that I should be fine with the local Bus!

I will be writing a review about my cruise upon return in June and I will also let you all know about any issues with getting to the ship, so that I can help anyone else in the same boat (ignore the pun!).

Mick.

BTW If anyone is on the Enchantment on 29th May and they want to meet me for a good old laugh, then I will be the big ginger/bald/grey brit on deck with the Kraken-colada! and possibly... also at the Schooner Bar for the oldies music quiz!

Hey @Mick B … I had to laugh when we got the RCI email yesterday which clearly mentions the shuttle from Tronchetto …

Pre-Cruise Shuttles:

Shuttle services will be available from locations in the area including Venice Marco Polo Airport and Venice City Centre (Tronchetto). Guests may select their preferred transfer based on their flights and selected check-in time for boarding the ship.

And I too have just received the same email from Cust Serv as you ^^ saying only from Airports!! “Please be aware that there are transfers available from the Bologna Airport, the Venice Airport and to the Barcelona Airport or the Barcelona Train Station.”

I feel sorry for those who are going to turn up at Tronchetto expecting a bus! I wonder how many will miss the ship?  We have a shared van booked at €75pp. Let’s hope the floods subside first…!!

Yes I’ll look out for you on board, usually do the quizzes too…. We will need that drink! Mines an aperol! 

NOTE: This issue with transfers only seems to affect the Enchantment sailings… the regular Explorer rotation seems to have shuttles to all the required places! 

Edited by little britain

@Mick B, I just saw news on TV about flooding in the Bologna to Ravenna area the last two days.  

https://maritime-executive.com/article/guardia-costiera-rescues-multiple-survivors-from-flooding-in-ravenna

And a Venice is raising a flood barrier. We fly into Venice in  2 weeks, so had been looking at weather and forecast 

Praying for all the impacted residents!   Flooding anywhere is awful!

Dare not tell the wife about the floods. She already thinks the cruise is jinxed since they took the Brilliance and swapped it for the Enchantment.

Anyway, I have just emailed RCI to ask them if the ship will still be going from this port and how can we get to it by Bus/Taxi if the roads are flooded etc.

Can't wait for the reply.

And, yes, if all is back to normal and the Bus is running, I will post here what the procedure is as I believe they have a limit on the size of cases and you can pay extra for them which is what I am going to ask at the ticket office.

You would think that the one bus going close to a cruise port would cater for tourist with suitcases. I would even think that they should put on a bus with extra luggage space and maybe charge a bit extra for it - even if it only runs on cruise days, it would be nice.

At least Barcelona has both a good bus and train service from the city centre to the airport. I know Barcelona is considered the cruise capital of the med and that is probably why, but come on Ravenna, at least try and do something better for cruise ship passengers!

Mick.

Edited by Mick B
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ocean sounds said:

@Mick B, I just saw news on TV about flooding in the Bologna to Ravenna area the last two days.  

https://maritime-executive.com/article/guardia-costiera-rescues-multiple-survivors-from-flooding-in-ravenna

And a Venice is raising a flood barrier. We fly into Venice in  2 weeks, so had been looking at weather and forecast 

Praying for all the impacted residents!   Flooding anywhere is awful!

I am just messaging my Airbnb host in Venice and he says they are not effected 

Edited by little britain
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Mick B said:

Hi all,

with less than 2 weeks to go to our cruise from Ravenna, RCI have now got back to me with an update for transfers.

Here is what they said...

Dear Mick,

Thank you for contacting our Customer Service Department regarding your upcoming cruise.

Thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean for your holiday, we offer tons of experiences that we hope you enjoy onboard!

Please be aware that the transfers we offer are from the Bologna Airport, Venice Marco Polo Airport or the Venice City Centre to the port of Ravenna. We don't have transfers from the Ravenna Citi Centre.

We would recommend checking options for public transportation, taxi or Uber services beforehand to avoid any issues on boarding day.

Well...
We are actually flying in to Bologna, but the night before and I now have an hotel booked for the night and train tickets to Revenna sorted for the morning of the cruise.

I have managed to find a bus from Ravenna to the port for a few Euro's, but if Royal had informed me of the transfers from Venice when I originally asked them then I may have opted to fly there on the Saturday before, but because they didn't we chose Bologna as a fail safe. I have suggested to my wife that we could go back to Bologna Airport on the day of the cruise and take the transfers with RCI from there to the ship, but he has told me that she does not trust them as on our last cruise transfers were cancelled at the last minute.

It was much simpler when the ships left from Venice. A couple of Euros on that overhead train, but sadly those days are gone.

Which brings me to my next point. Why then if Ravenna is going to be the home port for cruises around the Adriatic, hasn't something been put in place to give customers the facts about getting to the ship beforehand, instead of just a couple of weeks before when we have made alternative arrangements.

I have also been to my TA several times about this too and all they can say is that I should be fine with the local Bus!

I will be writing a review about my cruise upon return in June and I will also let you all know about any issues with getting to the ship, so that I can help anyone else in the same boat (ignore the pun!).

Mick.

BTW If anyone is on the Enchantment on 29th May and they want to meet me for a good old laugh, then I will be the big ginger/bald/grey brit on deck with the Kraken-colada! and possibly... also at the Schooner Bar for the oldies music quiz!

Mick, I know it will still leave you uncertain, but I can tell you that I am currently on the second leg of a B2B on Explorer of the Seas.  At the end of leg 1, in Ravenna, the ship was selling bus transfers TO the Ravenna train station.  The charge was $10 per person.  There was also a bus TO the ship from the Ravenna Bus Station, which apparently is beside the train station.  There was apparently a ship person at the train station directing people to the shuttle.  Apparently you gave your room number on the bus and they added the $10 fee to your account.  The info about the Station to ship service came from people getting on the ship and it was posted on another social media site.  

Due to heavy rains, the bus TO the station from the ship was running slow.  They kept announcing to remain on the ship rather than to proceed to the terminal because there was no place dry to wait.  

Communication about this transfer is very poor.  But it apparently exists.  Here is a screen shot from the Royal app about transfers after the cruise.  The Ravenna bus does a loop back and forth.  They have never posted details on how often or how lat in the day it operates.  

IMG_2073.png

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi all,

thanks for all your replies and help with this.

I have now also emailed my TA.

Issue is if the local buses and taxis can get from Ravenna to the cruise terminal if the roads are flooded deep or bridges have been made unsafe. I will keep an eye on the news.

One would hope that RCI will sort something for the cruisers if they stick with this port and things remain bad.

Hopefully, with over a week to go I can only hope the waters subside and things get back to normal. It cannot be very nice for anyone caught up in this and I am very sorry for all those who have lost their lives.

Mick.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2023 at 1:12 PM, Mick B said:

Hi all,

thanks for all your replies and help with this.

I have now also emailed my TA.

Issue is if the local buses and taxis can get from Ravenna to the cruise terminal if the roads are flooded deep or bridges have been made unsafe. I will keep an eye on the news.

One would hope that RCI will sort something for the cruisers if they stick with this port and things remain bad.

Hopefully, with over a week to go I can only hope the waters subside and things get back to normal. It cannot be very nice for anyone caught up in this and I am very sorry for all those who have lost their lives.

Mick.

Hi! We are on the same cruise! We are staying in venice for a few days first then taking the train to Ravenna. We get there at 12:48. We are hoping to grab a taxi or the bus. Hopefully there is an RC shuttle, that would be great! The cruise going out the week before us is being rerouted to Trieste. Somehow they are transferring all the passengers from Venice to Trieste. Hopefully the port is back to normal for our cruise. 
But whatever happens we’re gonna make the best of it and pray for those poor people who had to endure the floods. Makes you remember whats really important. Hope we get to meet up! 

There are no trains showing on the Venice/Ravenna or Ferrara/Ravenna or Bologna/Ravenna line until Friday 26th.

Of course 26th is a strike day in Italy so I wouldn’t expect trains until Saturday 27th providing they have the tracks repaired and cleared. 

Edited by little britain

4 hours ago, little britain said:

Of course 26th is a strike day in Italy so I wouldn’t expect trains until Saturday 27th providing they have the tracks repaired and cleared. 

How do you find out about strike days? For trains and other services

1 hour ago, Fishboy1947 said:

How do you find out about strike days? For trains and other services

The official website is here, only in Italian but you can run it through Google translate if needed:

https://www.cgsse.it/calendario-scioperi?data_inizio=2023-05-18&data_fine=2023-05-31

I find the site fiddly and I usually make sure I use the filter and update the dates I am searching as sometimes it doesn't seem to update itself from last query....

It does appear that there is a General strike scheduled for May 26.

image.thumb.png.4bf0f0b9a0a46bdb977227bfa8ec2e56.png

For trains (trasporto ferroviario), the effective hours are 9:00 am to 5:00 pm so if you are on a train before or after that time it should be fine. (Trains that have started before the strike hours generally complete.)

There are also a certain number of trains that will run, even on strike days. For example, if you go to the Trenitalia website, you can drill down to find lists of various regional and national trains that are guaranteed to run during strikes. I'm not sure how Italo handles it.

https://www.trenitalia.com/it/informazioni/treni_garantiti_incasodisciopero.html

• Thanks 1

I am now hoping all is going to be well for our cruise from Ravenna in a weeks time.

There is another post on the forum ref Explorer change of Itiniry with the ship going to Trieste.

Not sure yet if the Explorer will go from Ravenna on the 28th, but if it does then that should be a good indication that our cruise will leave from there too the following day.

One good thing here is that at least we will be cruising to Barcelona so if more floods take place (and I really hope they don't for the poor people of Italy's sake), then at least we won't have to worry about wasting valuable time whilst onboard stressing to figure out how to get home at the end.

If anyone has read my posts, you will know I chose to fly to Bologna as this put me closer to the port than Venice with the time restraints we had getting from the UK. This was my choice and I hope I made the right one as at the time of booking the flights RCI could not confirm shuttle from Venice to Ravenna. I have sailed and stayed in Venice more times than almost anywhere else, so although I will be missing it badly here, I will return to it at some point soon I am sure, but probably not to cruise.

Anyway, from Bologna Airport I will be taking the monorail to Bologna Centrale (costs about 11 Euro each) and I have a room at a nearby hotel booked for the night before the cruise. I have train tickets for the train from Bologna to Ravenna station (which is currently closed but due to open again tomorrow I believe and I will be watching reports about this as I am not sure if the station is flooded or if the tracks have suffered damage from landslides) and from Ravenna I plan to either catch the no.90 bus or take a taxi to the port.

Now, if the ship is diverted to Trieste then it looks like it will be from a cargo port with no check-in facilities and check-in looks likely to take place in Venice (and I assume at the cruise terminal there) and then it looks like Royal will take you by coach to Trieste.

One question I have asked my TA is if Royal are going to shuttle us from Bologna to Venice and if so, then is that from the Airport and/or the Train Station?

For anyone is the same boat (excuse the pun), there are trains running from Bologna Centrale to Venice Santa Lucia station (just a small walk from the cruise terminal monorail entrance) on May 29th. There is a slow train at 0812 that takes 2hrs and 8 mins that gets in to Venice at 1020 for £12.87 or the faster train at 0921 that gets in at 1055 (1hr 34 mins) at £18.16 and also offers £24.55 for 1st Class and I would suggest paying the extra as Italian trains normally give you free drinks and snacks in 1st Class and Business Class carriages for just a little bit more!.

Obviously, before forking out for these new train tickets, I will be pressing my TA for an update with the ship.

Once I know anything, I will let you know. However, the train times and fares above should hopefully help anyone else who is waiting for news as they may be far cheaper than what RCO offers if they offer anything as the cruise is billed as being out of Venice (Ravenna) so they may not offer anything from Bologna at all.

Bon voyage!

Mick.

Hi All,

My TA has just come back to me with...

"I have just spoken to Royal who said the cruise is still going out of Ravenna. If things change we will contact you ASAP."

So lets hope there is no more heavy rain or flooding anytime soon in that area.

Mick.

On 5/23/2023 at 4:05 PM, Mick B said:

Hi All,

My TA has just come back to me with...

"I have just spoken to Royal who said the cruise is still going out of Ravenna. If things change we will contact you ASAP."

So lets hope there is no more heavy rain or flooding anytime soon in that area.

Mick.

Celebrity Constellation docking in Ravenna tomorrow 

• Like 1

@Mick B

This was just shared by someone on current Enchantment sailing for Disembarking pax….no trains at Ravenna Monday 29th. 
See you at the bar. Good luck x

IMG_0818.jpeg

Edited by little britain
Funny how they are offering trips to Tronchetto but not from Tronchetto!!!

Wow!, thanks for the heads up.

I have now emailed my TA yet again with ref to getting from Bologna to the ship as I first asked Royal this question back in November and they said transfers were available but because I had used a TA I needed to go through them and after months of popping in to see them with no result I booked my train from Bologna to Ravenna with the hope of getting the 90 bus to the port.

Strange that neither Royal, my TA or the Italian train company have emailed me with regard to changes to Monday's train service.

I have logged in to my account with the train company and see that my tickets have not been cancelled. I have checked the trains and cannot find any on Monday to Ravenna before 1650 which is too late and cannot tell if that's because all trains are cancelled or because all the tickets have sold out as there are a load available for tomorrow which I assume means the line is open?

There are trains scheduled today from Bologna to Ravenna and tomorrow, some are direct and others have a change at Faenza, so gods know what to expect!

Anyway, there are some trains running from Bologna to other stations on Monday such as Faenza and Forli and both these stations seem to have bus services to Ravenna. It will just take a lot longer.

Also, I see the bus 90 is timetabled as running as normal on Monday from Ravenna to the port.

Also I see there are buses scheduled from the port to Ravenna at 0636, 0825 and 1120 plus others, so whats going on. Have the bus company not updated any cancelled buses or does Royal know or not know something else?

In all my years of travelling and cruising, I have never had such a load of trouble with the simple task of getting from a port to a ship as I have with this one.

I will let you know what my TA says.

Not only have I emailed them, but I have told them I will pop in to see them at lunch. I bet they all go out for lunch at that time!

Mick.

Hi all,

I have just been in to see my TA with a copy of the leaflet from the ship.

My TA contacted Royal (as it could be up to 7 days before they respond to my email I sent them) and he was told by a chap called Brian that there are no issues with public transport or trains at Ravenna at this point in time.

My TA agrees with me that the memo sent to passengers possibly may be a simple way to advertise their shuttles to Bologna etc.

I will let you know if and when RCI get back to me.

I have had no emails from the company I booked my trains with with regard to issues with travelling Monday morning and cannot find any information that either confirms trains are cancelled or running properly either.

Mick.

Hi all,

just received an email from Royal.

It now says that there will be shuttle transfer on Monday 29th May 2023 from Bologna Centrale to the cruise ship every 30 mins starting at 10am for $30.00 pp which will charged to your account.

So the good news is here that if my train tickets turn out to be worthless at 0905 then I can catch the shuttle later. I suppose this saves on using the no.90 bus as well as knowing my luck the trains will be running to Ravenna and then the buses won't and taxi's will probably cost more to the port than the shuttle service!

Hope this helps out anyone else in the same boat as me (sorry again about the pun!)

Mick.

Edited by Mick B
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, little britain said:

This was just shared by someone on current Enchantment sailing for Disembarking pax….no trains at Ravenna Monday 29th. 

I'm curious where they heard there will be no trains. From the cruise staff?  If so, seems like a ploy designed to sell their own transfers....

Ready for a laugh

Royal have now come back to me ref the email I sent them earlier today.

Here's the funny thing...

At 1656 I got the "Important information about your upcoming Ravenna sailing" telling me about the shuttle transfer service they are now putting on for us on Monday 29th at Bologna Centrale Station.

But now at 1732 I have received a email from royalcustomerserviceuk telling me that "We are very sorry to inform you that the reservation is already close. We may not do any changes or add transfers to it" etc etc.

Well, before Covid I would call this incompetence or the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing. But post Covid I expect and except that this is the kind of service I am now going to be getting.

I am in the process of booking a cruise out of Miami/Fort Lauderdale next year for the wife's 60th. She is not well and gets upset quickly, so a nice relaxing holiday is what she needs because looking at whats going on with next weeks cruise, I doubt that is going to happen!

Mick.