Once a day Cleaning Morning or Evening?

molly361

Once a day Room Service Morning or Evening?  

194 members have voted

1. 1. Once a day service Which do you pick Morning or Evening

• Morning
    • Evening

10 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

How do you figure it's double the pay?  

Old Cleanings: 15 cabins x2/day = 30 cleanings/day.

New Cleanings: 25 cabins x 1/day = 25 cleanings/day

16% reduction (in theory)

Old tips: 15 cabins * $3pp * 2 people = $90/day

New tips: 25 cabins * $3pp * 2 people = $150/day

66% increase (in theory).

NOTE: the per person fee is just a number.  No matter what number you put in there, it's still a 66% increase.

I'm sorry, I'm not seeing the down side for the steward.  Even if all 25 rooms requests morning, if it's me, I start at one end of the hall on day 1, and the opposite end of the hall on day 2.  Keep swapping. 

I was talking general terms. No Algebra needed. Let's settle on "almost double" with cash tips from the additional cabins. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

I wonder how being a typical morning vs evening shower-er influences our preference for morning vs. evening cleanings? My whole family showers at the end of the day so I would prefer a cleaning between when we return from an excursion and use the towels the first time, and when we turn in for the night so I can have fresh towels for the second shower. Do those of you choosing the morning cleaning typically also shower in the morning?

I hope they continue doing it for the kids. My teens still love it (they created a "zoo" last year with their animals) and it was one of their favorite things when they cruised for the first time. 

0415221811a.jpg

Cute!  🙂 We have done that many times, though we are not kids any longer by any means.  We usually line them up on the back of the couch. 

Kind of have out grown that though, and with so many of our cruises being B2B or more....just no room to keep them all.  Did not miss them.  It was the first time we did not get the animals, and being on the ship for 3 weeks...kind of nice to have the extra space.  😉 

13 hours ago, Longford said:

I'm a newbie, with just one solo cruise experience.  My cabin attendant liked it that I was out of the room from 8 a.m. until after lunch ... and took the opportunity to clean my lightly-used room early before tackling the mess left in other cabins.  😁  Evenings, I was out until 9 p.m. or so ... and didn't mess the room throughout the day.

Welcome to the world of cruising newbie!  🙂  You will find it addicting.  

Thank goodness we are not all alike...what would the world be like with only one flavor of ice cream? 😄 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, davekathy said:

Not us.  Especially with all this chatter of cutting to once a day.  Prefer the cabin attendants focus on the necessities. 

Dave, you can see the writing on the wall.  With the attendants taking on more cabins, they simply won't have time for the cute things they used to do...including taking the time to do the animals.  With so many cutbacks happening (including stream lined, no special request, limited menus), the "other things" are going away.  

Hey...where are the chocolates on my pillow?  😄 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, HappyTexan44 said:

Does anyone really think that the stewards will be getting more money?    

That amount they get from each room isn't cast in stone.  They'll give each steward less from each room and add that amount to the "Other" category.   

No...indeed, more work, less pay IMHO.    The pax that tip extra in cash, most likely will tip less for "1/2 service" when they go to once a day.  

• Like 1

We need to also remember that the second evening cleaning was much less work than the morning clean. Rarely see Henry in the halls in the evening. Beds might be a bit messy, but unlikely they have to completely remake every single bed like the morning. Bathrooms get a deep clean in the morning, but a touch up in the evenings. 

So instead of doing 18 morning full cleans and 18 evening touch ups, they will now be doing 25 full cleans every day - just split into half in the morning and half in the evening. The two current cabin services are not an even amount of work for the cabin steward. 

DH and I are very unhappy about this reduction in service. CAN we hang our towels up to dry - yes. Do we WANT to hang them to dry? NO. We like fresh towels each time. This is not home where we hang for several days. This is supposed to be a vacation where we are pampered and get services that we don't have at home. I can't wait to see all the dirty dishes put outside the doors in the hallways. Interesting that RCI reduced the services they are providing us yet continue to raise the onboard gratuities. 

• Like 3

On 2/22/2023 at 6:21 AM, island lady said:

Dave, you can see the writing on the wall.  With the attendants taking on more cabins, they simply won't have time for the cute things they used to do...including taking the time to do the animals.  With so many cutbacks happening (including stream lined, no special request, limited menus), the "other things" are going away.  

Hey...where are the chocolates on my pillow?  😄 

Agree, loud and clear. 

The last time we got evening chocolates was on the Explorer, 2009. Pssst...I don't want to say this to loud, but we still get the evening chocolates with Celebrity. Shhh🤫

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Agree, loud and clear. 

The last time we got evening chocolates was on the Explorer, 2009. Pssst...I don't want to say this to loud, but we still get the evening chocolates with Celebrity. Shhh🤫

I heard that and I'm tell'in!  :classic_smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, davekathy said:

Agree, loud and clear. 

They will shortly substitute dinner altogether.

• Haha 2

1.  I want my room "CLEANED" with bathroom cleaned, toiletries attended to, fresh linens/towels and garbage removed 1x/day is fine.  Morning ok for me.

2.  I want my bed made and dirty towels replaced again in the evening.

If I am paying same/more than before, and tipping same/more than before, then 1 cleaning and 1 additional "freshen up linens" is not too much to ask.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, BobNoxious said:

1.  I want my room "CLEANED" with bathroom cleaned, toiletries attended to, fresh linens/towels and garbage removed 1x/day is fine.  Morning ok for me.

2.  I want my bed made and dirty towels replaced again in the evening.

If I am paying same/more than before, and tipping same/more than before, then 1 cleaning and 1 additional "freshen up linens" is not too much to ask.

It's true, neighbor.  Chasing and begging a room attendant (I cannot believe I'm turning into political correctness program) for what used to be standard) cleaning is not a pleasant game during what is supposed to be a total relaxing and cleared mind holiday.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, davekathy said:

Agree, loud and clear. 

Just be sure to see them there before you crawl into bed with warm bodies, and wonder what that odd melted brown stuff is all over the sheets the next morning!  🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, island lady said:

Just be sure to see them there before you crawl into bed with warm bodies, and wonder what that odd melted brown stuff is all over the sheets the next morning!  🤪

No problem. I'm unwrapping mine before the door shuts. 😁 Now, only if I could convince Kathy the stateroom attendant forgot to leave her a chocolate. 😁 

• Like 2

I chose morning, but after reading a few comments, I'm thinking maybe evening.  I don't like coming back from breakfast and having to wait to get into room because I don't want to disrupt steward.  I guess ultimately it doesn't matter because it may not be my choice.

I try to keep room neat, but obviously there is still stuff to be done.

39 minutes ago, moposh said:

I chose morning, but after reading a few comments, I'm thinking maybe evening.  I don't like coming back from breakfast and having to wait to get into room because I don't want to disrupt steward.  I guess ultimately it doesn't matter because it may not be my choice.

I try to keep room neat, but obviously there is still stuff to be done.

You can always put the "do not disturb" sign up while you are at breakfast, and not take it down until after you have returned from breakfast and then gone "out for the day".

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

You can always put the "do not disturb" sign up while you are at breakfast, and not take it down until after you have returned from breakfast and then gone "out for the day".

Good idea.  What happens when steward sees us both return from breakfast?  😆