Has the quality of food in the MDR changed on Celebrity??

SRQMom

We love Celebrity (especially the Silhouette), but haven't sailed since the Pandemic.  We are looking at booking another Transatlantic and remember fondly how good the food was in the MDR (aka didn't feel the need to eat dinners in Specialty restaurants every night).  BUT, I've read a few recent reviews that say the quality has declined but not very specific details.  Any feedback from recent cruisers on Celebrity would be greatly appreciated.  We love TA's for the relaxation and of course spend more time dining vs ports so it's a biggie on that type of booking.  Thanks!!! 

I know someone that just came back from the Equinox this past week.  They cruise a lot and have done Celebrity serveral times in addition to all the others.  He said it was very noticeable how much smaller the buffets were this trip.  They were told they are cutting back because there has been so much wasted food in the past.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, ZsaZsa2019 said:

I know someone that just came back from the Equinox this past week.  They cruise a lot and have done Celebrity serveral times in addition to all the others.  He said it was very noticeable how much smaller the buffets were this trip.  They were told they are cutting back because there has been so much wasted food in the past.

Our TA was on the Silhouette for 10 days and now on the Equinox 

She no complaints in the MDR and OVC , but at night there are less food available in OVC 

I guess it like there less food available in MDR for breakfast &lunch😁

28 minutes ago, ZsaZsa2019 said:

Corporate has stated it's also cost cutting so at least it's not 100% greenwashing although the more creative solution would have been to develop new recipes people would enjoy therefore no waste.  The buffets during dinner time were reduced but X has stated they'll open additional stations

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SRQMom said:

We love Celebrity (especially the Silhouette), but haven't sailed since the Pandemic.  We are looking at booking another Transatlantic and remember fondly how good the food was in the MDR (aka didn't feel the need to eat dinners in Specialty restaurants every night).  BUT, I've read a few recent reviews that say the quality has declined but not very specific details.  Any feedback from recent cruisers on Celebrity would be greatly appreciated.  We love TA's for the relaxation and of course spend more time dining vs ports so it's a biggie on that type of booking.  Thanks!!! 

Admins on CC have admitted a decline in food quality.  It's been a triple wammy, less food quality, less selection (in the MDR, ribeye, wellington and prime rib are gone) and higher fares.  A retreat manager has stated X has changed to a less costly beef supplier except for the specialty 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We are just of the Apex. We ate in regular dining each night in the Tuscan. We did lunch in MDR, Bistro and OVC. We also ate in Eden one night. We just did Silhouette in Dec and Edge and Equinox last year. Back to the Apex. Menu was missing the Beef and several lamb dishes, but still had very good options each night. Two nights we did not like the menu selections and we ordered Filets off the kids menu. They were outstanding, done perfect we no sauces. I wish we would have known this was an option in past years. Service was great at all venues. The Bistro for lunch was outstanding the muscles and lamb chops were the best ever on ships. We only did one buffet lunch and it was outstanding compared to previous cruises, many  options. I do not know if it was just that Apex had a good chef of what but it was great. Only problem we had was getting a premium Chardonnay. Lunches in the MDH were same as usual with the same 4 menus and food was great, only one app was bad and that was beef ironically. Eden was great but should be for the price. 

We will be doing a full review. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Currently on Equinox - this is our fourth cruise in the last 6 months on Celebrity on all classes. I have not noticed a decline in quality of food from the first cruise in October to now. I believe that there is a definite decline in quality since before the pandemic.

Portion sizes are smaller and I believe they are using less expensive cuts of meat as others have noticed. But what's worse is that they have taken away so much choice. In the MDR, basically you have one meat, one chicken, one seafood and one vegetarian option for your main course other than the grilled salmon, chicken or "NY sirloin" steak in the classic menu. One of those options will be combined with pasta (beef and veal bolognese as the only beef the first night) or the seafood orzo on the next night. Last night veal roast and no beef other than the NY steak. The "homestyle" pork chop I had on the first night was tasty, but so tough I needed a steak knife. The woman next to me in the dining room asked for a steak knife too.

If I were going out to a restaurant and only had those choices, I wouldn't go back. I understand they are cutting costs and cutting down on waste, but they could be more creative and offer a few more dishes. There is no mention of fine dining any more.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

17 minutes ago, Pennstatedj said:

We are just of the Apex. We ate in regular dining each night in the Tuscan. We did lunch in MDR, Bistro and OVC. We also ate in Eden one night. We just did Silhouette in Dec and Edge and Equinox last year. Back to the Apex. Menu was missing the Beef and several lamb dishes, but still had very good options each night. Two nights we did not like the menu selections and we ordered Filets off the kids menu. They were outstanding, done perfect we no sauces. I wish we would have known this was an option in past years. Service was great at all venues. The Bistro for lunch was outstanding the muscles and lamb chops were the best ever on ships. We only did one buffet lunch and it was outstanding compared to previous cruises, many  options. I do not know if it was just that Apex had a good chef of what but it was great. Only problem we had was getting a premium Chardonnay. Lunches in the MDH were same as usual with the same 4 menus and food was great, only one app was bad and that was beef ironically. Eden was great but should be for the price. 

We will be doing a full review. 

It seems the kids filet is only a small minority of the ships.  Over the past six months I was told it's no longer available on the Solstice, Millie, Infinity and Equinox

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SRQMom said:

Speaking for us, I wouldn't consider others positive or negative options. We'll be onboard the Apex in March and we'll make that determination for ourselves. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, cruzfiend said:

We just got off the Equinox and boarded the Apex. What a difference. The Apex is hands down superior. Not only selection, but quality and quantity. The Equinox was mediocre at best.

I was wondering about that, the E class is there big moneymaker now.  Some E class reviews showing the food, you can see the difference.

• Like 3

Over the past year, we have cruised on both Princess and Celebrity.  Food quality and selection have declined on both lines since the pandemic. Doubt we will ever return to Princess...it was that bad.  Giving Celebrity another try in June.  We have to remind ourselves that we don't cruise just for the food.  

• Like 6

6 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Admins on CC have admitted a decline in food quality.  It's been a triple wammy, less food quality, less selection (in the MDR, ribeye, wellington and prime rib are gone) and higher fares.  A retreat manager has stated X has changed to a less costly beef supplier except for the specialty 

Even the beef in the specialty restaurants has gone downhill.

Here is what my son's prime rib looked like in Fine Cut on Apex a few weeks ago:

Number1.thumb.jpg.395adb107a9bb4ef9fef9ef3606309de.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

What does it matter if something declined? Do you only travel based on some arbitrary bar that was set? Will you go to a different spot then, and what bar are they set at? It should be more about if the overall value and experience is good. 

well if the prices go up and the quality declines, then I would say that the overall value and experience has gotten worse.  Of course it's up to the individual to decide when to say "no more" and take their business elsewhere.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

What does it matter if something declined? Do you only travel based on some arbitrary bar that was set? Will you go to a different spot then, and what bar are they set at? It should be more about if the overall value and experience is good. 

I have sailed Celebrity for 30 years, over 160 cruises. When I can no longer find anything I want on the MDR menu certain nights I refuse to continue sailing with them. There are SO MANY different entrees that I used to eat that have been completely eliminated I am no longer happy.

• Like 12

12 hours ago, TommyD3 said:

Even the beef in the specialty restaurants has gone downhill.

Here is what my son's prime rib looked like in Fine Cut on Apex a few weeks ago:

Number1.thumb.jpg.395adb107a9bb4ef9fef9ef3606309de.jpg

Yuck, shame on them, sorry for your son.  I have cancelled our reservations there, truly appreciate the update.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I don't think that the bar is arbitrary.

I set the bar at would I visit or frequent the MDR if it was a restaurant on land.  Previously my answer would have been yes and now it is a no.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Joebucks said:

We have declining food quality, declining food options and increased fares which decreases the overall value.  Now I'll be comparing X's pricing (aka overall value) to Virgin, RCL and MSC for the first time ever

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

I don't think that the bar is arbitrary.

I set the bar at would I visit or frequent the MDR if it was a restaurant on land.  Previously my answer would have been yes and now it is a no.

We would never visit an on-land restaurant that resembled the MDR as it is way too big. But on a cruise we love the experience and that’s part of cruising for us, doing things on a ship we would not do otherwise. Can’t wait to dine there again in September 

• Like 3