Popcorn at movies

abby1257

On 2/22/2023 at 2:01 PM, Kevin308 said:

Isn't a change I like.  Don't get me wrong if they want to charge for popcorn I am fine with it if they had popcorn worth paying for.  What they have just isn't good enough for a charge.   But I would be all for a popcorn bar with different flavors and or good butter popcorn.

Right, it's not even fresh or good popcorn. It's pre-popped bagged popcorn that's cold and kinda stale.

DIY Nuke popcorn is better and I hate nuke popcorn

Edited by EngIceDave

7 hours ago, Florings said:

I never thought the popcorn was that good, no flavor at all for the most part.   I had never thought of taking my own snacks onboard until last cruise when my brother suggested it... we took store-bought popcorn, both buttered and cheese flavored (BOGO at Publix) and it was worth carting it onboard in a tote bag.   I'm doing it again this weekend when we board for the southern Carribean.

That is a great idea I'll have to remember for my next cruise. I never get the popcorn any more because it wasn't any good not because of the price. On the Horizon they used to sell (pre covid 2019 last time on that ship) a small pre packaged bag of popcorn at the Imax theater. Carnival should just sell pre packaged bags from the bars on lido for the Seaside movies at night. I already carry on a 12 pack of coke so why not carry on a bag of popcorn for movie time 🙂

• Like 1

On 2/22/2023 at 10:39 AM, staceyglow said:

From my understanding, the charge for popcorn is to help offset the cost of cleaning the mess some people leave.. I can't imagine how long it takes to clean up all that popcorn from under and between the deck chairs, especially if it gets wet.

More like if people have to pay for it, then maybe they won’t just throw it around so that it makes a mess everywhere. And it will help reduce waste. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Carnival Cheerleader said:

$3 isn't the concern, it's $3 for a product I wouldn't take if it were free because it's so bad. If it were good popcorn that tasted great, I'd happily spend the $3 to get some.

I can say that about anything because I don't spend money on things that I don't like. They offer it at a price and people can buy it or not.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, EngIceDave said:

ON pre-popped or nuke popcorn?

I know what it tastes like....pre-popped

Might want to stroll down the the bar area on ships that provide it before a movie to confirm your suspicion.  Your expertise on taste is already out there.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

I can say that about anything because I don't spend money on things that I don't like. They offer it at a price and people can buy it or not.

When we cruise together I will buy one for you….just because

• Like 1

On 2/22/2023 at 2:01 PM, Kevin308 said:

Isn't a change I like.  Don't get me wrong if they want to charge for popcorn I am fine with it if they had popcorn worth paying for.  What they have just isn't good enough for a charge.   But I would be all for a popcorn bar with different flavors and or good butter popcorn.

I agree....it's HORRIBLE

On 2/22/2023 at 10:18 PM, kctwinmommy said:

Yep, on our November cruise it was a charge. Not only that, they stopped selling it when the movie was "almost over." But apparently "almost over" meant with an hour left to go! And it was Top Gun Maverick, the deck was packed!

On our last cruise (Valor last November) but they wouldn't sell (or pop any popcorn) until after the movie started.  It was 5 minutes before the movie started, and they wouldn't pop/sell any.   The bar staff acted like it was a big inconvenience to make/sell any popcorn.

I have never seen pre-bagged or pre-popped popcorn on any of the ships I sailed on.  Have always seen bartender tending to the popcorn machine, and always scooping up the freshly popped popcorn. I have had to wait several times for the machine to finish its batch.  There is also salt you can add yourself if you want.  I always buy it as to me it is a great healthy snack to munch on while watching the movie, and the $3 a box is not a big deal to me.  

4 hours ago, pe4all said:

I have never seen pre-bagged or pre-popped popcorn on any of the ships I sailed on.  Have always seen bartender tending to the popcorn machine, and always scooping up the freshly popped popcorn. I have had to wait several times for the machine to finish its batch.  There is also salt you can add yourself if you want.  I always buy it as to me it is a great healthy snack to munch on while watching the movie, and the $3 a box is not a big deal to me.  

I saw giant bags of it on Horizon, so I don't know anymore

43 minutes ago, EngIceDave said:

I saw giant bags of it on Horizon, so I don't know anymore

Interesting - when we sailed on Horizon they were popping it fresh.  Maybe with covid "over" they decided it was cheaper and less time consuming for the bartenders to use the pre-bagged stuff. I know they were always running around the bar to put more kernels in the machine as the popcorn sold so quickly.   I would never buy it if I saw it wasn't fresh-popped.

They should just sell bags of skinny pop or Funnyuns if people want a snack. The magic of seeing that popcorn machine steaming under the jumbotron is ruined, anyway. Nobody wants to beg a bartender to sell them a box of probably day-old popcorn for $3. Special touches...

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 1

On 2/25/2023 at 5:24 PM, mz-s said:

They should just sell bags of skinny pop or Funnyuns if people want a snack. The magic of seeing that popcorn machine steaming under the jumbotron is ruined, anyway. Nobody wants to beg a bartender to sell them a box of probably day-old popcorn for $3. Special touches...

As I understand it popcorn on Carnival has always been criticized and hasn't qualified as a "special touch" since its inception.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

As I understand it popcorn on Carnival has always been criticized and hasn't qualified as a "special touch" since its inception.

Well I'm as guilty as anyone for complaining (perhaps more so). The popcorn back when it was fresh and free reminded me of Target's popcorn. Got the job done.

• 4 months later...

Popcorn was terrible I wouldn't eat it of they gave it to me. Definitely a fan of carnival cruises but the popcorn I don't get it! It's so easy and cheap to make. Wish they would figure it out. I sent a email to the company but I'm sure my words don't mean much. We were on the panorama in February. Everything else was great. Popcorn not so much.