WIFI costs...are you kidding me?

remydiva

On 2/24/2023 at 11:07 PM, CruizinSusan70 said:

At 60 per day, after factoring out gratuities, it's 45.50 for wifi & drinks per day.  This is cheaper than any of their competitors.  It of course was an even greater deal when it was 40 per day, which we enjoyed last year for 14 days on the Discovery and will for 14 in a few months on the Majestic.

Looks like you are not aware of Crew Incentive increase from $14.50 to $16.  So, your number is $44.00.  Now, take out your MedallionNet cost - either $15/day or $7.50/day.

On 2/25/2023 at 12:23 AM, Valiamo said:

We are on a 16 night Hawaii Cruise that I cancelled and re-booked for a better price.  We had Internet 4 devices and paid for $108 CAD for upgrade to 4 devices for the cruise.

I went to book the 4 devices again and was totally flabbergasted that the price has gone up 400% to $432, and that is with the 50% discount for being Platinum.  

I wish Cdn posters would either indicate the USD equivalent or the exchange rate booked at.

I did some Math and when you booked, MedallionNet was $10/day for 1-device and $20/day for 4-devices.  The upgrade differential for 16-night voyage was $160 USD ($80 USD with 50% discount).  You must have booked with 1.35 exchange rate as $80 USD converts to $108 CAD.

By the time you re-booked, the new pricing is $15/day for 1-device and $40/day for 4-devices.  Yes, that is 100% increase, but the 4-device old price was an overly generous bargain one could argue.  The differential is now $25/day, instead of the former $10/day, so that is a 250% increase. 

For 16-night voyage, the upgrade SHOULD be costing $400 USD (16 x $25).  With 50% off, it SHOULD be $200 USD or, $270 CAD using the 1.35 conversion rate.  If you did not get a discount, the upgrade cost should be $540 CAD.  I am not sure where you are getting the $432 number (which is $320 USD or $20/day for 16 days).  If that is supposed to be a discounted rate, then it equates to $640 USD or $40/day - which is the FULL price for 4-devices.  

It appears as though you are getting no value from Princess for your included 1-device plan and are being charged in full instead of the upgrade difference.  You need to go back to Princess about this and get them to look into it and fix it.

Are you on the PLUS Fare or STANDARD Fare plan?  Even with STANDARD, the 4-device plan has only doubled in price - not 400%.  Suggest you review your situation more closely.

• Like 2

Just watched a youtube video about a flight on Japan Airlines.  They offer wi-fi in the air.  $10 something for one hour.  I stopped looking at the rate after that.  Don't know if it is 60 minutes at one time or over the length of the flight.  There are disclaimers about using a satellite connection. 

Guess Princess is a "bargain". 

• Like 1

Internet is one facet of cruising on Princess that I am still prepared to be delighted with.  The last time we sailed, 6 years ago, there was no internet.  Or if there was, we chose to go without.  I’m not looking to conduct zoom meetings or stream tv shows.  Just check a thing or two online while I’m away.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BamaVol said:

Internet is one facet of cruising on Princess that I am still prepared to be delighted with.  The last time we sailed, 6 years ago, there was no internet.  Or if there was, we chose to go without.  I’m not looking to conduct zoom meetings or stream tv shows.  Just check a thing or two online while I’m away.

You've hit the salient point that is causing so much consternation.   Many of us want to "Get away completely", which used to be a marketing slogan.   Princess would serve their passengers better if they offered options for internet use.  The one that just went away was an "online minutes" option, which was sufficient for a quick email check or even a look at a web site or two.  This was also the option that had a loyalty benefit of X many minutes (where X depended on the length of the cruise).

This has been replaced by a costly unlimited minutes option.   OK I get it that some people want that, despite the possibility that over 1000 users trying to stream through a satellite connection is likely to cause latency issues.   But that's the only option we have now so we either live with it or do without.

Back last century when we started cruising there was no internet and if family needed to contact us for an emergency they could call the ship at $/minute.  That's still an option if we do without Internet,
FYI - ship contact information is at FAQ: Keeping in Touch On Board Your Cruise - Princess Cruises

Edited by Times Prince

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

I wish Cdn posters would either indicate the USD equivalent or the exchange rate booked at.

I did some Math and when you booked, MedallionNet was $10/day for 1-device and $20/day for 4-devices.  The upgrade differential for 16-night voyage was $160 USD ($80 USD with 50% discount).  You must have booked with 1.35 exchange rate as $80 USD converts to $108 CAD.

By the time you re-booked, the new pricing is $15/day for 1-device and $40/day for 4-devices.  Yes, that is 100% increase, but the 4-device old price was an overly generous bargain one could argue.  The differential is now $25/day, instead of the former $10/day, so that is a 250% increase. 

For 16-night voyage, the upgrade SHOULD be costing $400 USD (16 x $25).  With 50% off, it SHOULD be $200 USD or, $270 CAD using the 1.35 conversion rate.  If you did not get a discount, the upgrade cost should be $540 CAD.  I am not sure where you are getting the $432 number (which is $320 USD or $20/day for 16 days).  If that is supposed to be a discounted rate, then it equates to $640 USD or $40/day - which is the FULL price for 4-devices.  

It appears as though you are getting no value from Princess for your included 1-device plan and are being charged in full instead of the upgrade difference.  You need to go back to Princess about this and get them to look into it and fix it.

Are you on the PLUS Fare or STANDARD Fare plan?  Even with STANDARD, the 4-device plan has only doubled in price - not 400%.  Suggest you review your situation more closely.

I can only what I am shown on the App and what I originally paid (in CAD of course) at the 1.35 exchange rate.  You can math the exchange rate, but it still is showing that I would need to pay 4 times the rate I paid before cancelling.  Not chance to pay in USD unless I cancel and re-book again with Princess at the prevailing USD rate.

On the original booking I bought and paid $108 for 4 devices.  I was more than OK with this price, as it gave me 4 devices for a killer price. Alas, I rebooked for the Cdn at Par Sale. as the savings far outweighed the loss of an excursion or 3 extra devices.

Currently on the App, it is showing a whopping $864 for 16 days of internet (or just over $40 USD per day) with the discounted price to $432 ($20 USD).   

Every time I multiply $108 x 4, I get $432.00 (or a 400% increase).  Agreed that I should be getting some sort of credit for the Plus internet I am already purchasing, but it is not what they would charge me if I were to book..    

IMG_2542.thumb.jpg.27cce15ab71d81b5314e1a5d96de8515.jpg

Alas, Princess has a LONG way to figure out what the heck their website is doing and charging.  

Also, purchased Princess Plus fare, which includes 1 device per person.

Edited by Valiamo

1 hour ago, Valiamo said:

I can only what I am shown on the App and what I originally paid (in CAD of course) at the 1.35 exchange rate.  You can math the exchange rate, but it still is showing that I would need to pay 4 times the rate I paid before cancelling.  Not chance to pay in USD unless I cancel and re-book again with Princess at the prevailing USD rate.

On the original booking I bought and paid $108 for 4 devices.  I was more than OK with this price, as it gave me 4 devices for a killer price. Alas, I rebooked for the Cdn at Par Sale. as the savings far outweighed the loss of an excursion or 3 extra devices.

Currently on the App, it is showing a whopping $864 for 16 days of internet (or just over $40 USD per day) with the discounted price to $432 ($20 USD).   

Every time I multiply $108 x 4, I get $432.00 (or a 400% increase).  Agreed that I should be getting some sort of credit for the Plus internet I am already purchasing, but it is not what they would charge me if I were to book..    

Alas, Princess has a LONG way to figure out what the heck their website is doing and charging.  

As I mentioned orignally, it is obvious Princess App is not crediting you for the value of single device plan included with Plus Fare.  This is evident since the App is showing a charge if you book 1 device as shown in the screenshot you included.  Go after Princess about this.

16 hours ago, Steelers0854 said:

There are too many variables with satellite internet for this to be a fair comparison.  Was it the exact same itinerary across all 4 cruises?  Location of the ship has a lot to do with the internet speed.  As does congestion on the ship side, congestion on the service provider side, weather etc.  I’m not saying Princess is better than the other 2, just pointing out unless you did the exact same itinerary on all of them, with the same weather its not a true comparison.

Yeah I ran a decent stress test and stand by my comparison.  No time to spell it out here but thanks for the comments.

Cheers

On 2/24/2023 at 10:19 PM, Times Prince said:

However, as we need to access internet at least a couple of times, I've talked with my Princess travel advisor who verified we can buy a day of access at a time, and her feedback is that the 50% discount applies.  We'll see if that's true.

Thanks for asking this as it's probably what I will do as well. Do you know what the daily rate is?

8 hours ago, GonzoWCS said:

Yeah I ran a decent stress test and stand by my comparison.  No time to spell it out here but thanks for the comments.

Cheers

Your stress tests unfortunately will not tell you anything beyond what you experienced, which as i stated is not a fair comparison.  You’re always entitled to your opinions and experiences, the problem is that people will read your comments and take it as Celebrity and MSC have superior internet to Princess, and I’m just trying to ensure people understand its not as simple as that despite what you experienced.  

On 2/24/2023 at 3:36 PM, remydiva said:

But no way I'm paying $141 net ($282 gross) for wifi on a TA where we got 6 sea days. Thats net $10 a day. Outrageous.🤑

This is a dilemma for many posters here.

Outrage over the price.

vs.

Disappointment over the speed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steelers0854 said:

Your stress tests unfortunately will not tell you anything beyond what you experienced, which as i stated is not a fair comparison.  You’re always entitled to your opinions and experiences, the problem is that people will read your comments and take it as Celebrity and MSC have superior internet to Princess, and I’m just trying to ensure people understand its not as simple as that despite what you experienced.  

Thanks

Cheers

On 2/26/2023 at 3:22 PM, Times Prince said:

You've hit the salient point that is causing so much consternation.   Many of us want to "Get away completely", which used to be a marketing slogan.   Princess would serve their passengers better if they offered options for internet use.  The one that just went away was an "online minutes" option, which was sufficient for a quick email check or even a look at a web site or two.  This was also the option that had a loyalty benefit of X many minutes (where X depended on the length of the cruise).

This has been replaced by a costly unlimited minutes option.   OK I get it that some people want that, despite the possibility that over 1000 users trying to stream through a satellite connection is likely to cause latency issues.   But that's the only option we have now so we either live with it or do without.

Back last century when we started cruising there was no internet and if family needed to contact us for an emergency they could call the ship at $/minute.  That's still an option if we do without Internet,
FYI - ship contact information is at FAQ: Keeping in Touch On Board Your Cruise - Princess Cruises

However new system cannot do minutes, only by account and device ID.  So if they wanted to add a minutes capability they would need an entirely different system for doing minutes.  Maintaining a second system would mean increased costs.  If they spread that cost over just the people that wanted minutes it would probably be very expensive per minute.  

On 2/26/2023 at 3:27 PM, Valiamo said:

If I recall right the App only shows the two options 1 device or 4.devices.  Even if you have purchased a plan it would still only show you the original plans, no upgrade option.  To upgrade you would need to do it on board or maybe customer service might be able to do it.  The other option might be to cancel the original order and then place a new one.

1 hour ago, ldtr said:

If I recall right the App only shows the two options 1 device or 4.devices.  Even if you have purchased a plan it would still only show you the original plans, no upgrade option.  To upgrade you would need to do it on board or maybe customer service might be able to do it.  The other option might be to cancel the original order and then place a new one.

Yes, currently the App only shows either 1 or 4 devices.  But.. before Dec it also provided an upgrade price on the 4 devices, when one went to purchase it.   The App department has connected with me and asked additional questions and clarifications, so awaiting their response.

Edited by Valiamo

5 hours ago, ldtr said:

However new system cannot do minutes, only by account and device ID.  So if they wanted to add a minutes capability they would need an entirely different system for doing minutes.  Maintaining a second system would mean increased costs.  If they spread that cost over just the people that wanted minutes it would probably be very expensive per minute.  

Counting connection minutes is software, and is software they've had for years, so it is not new technology. No separate system is needed, just a switch to a different software routine that counts minutes from when one logs in to when one logs out.  And that could be done for all logins, with the data maintained for statistical purposes for people with unlimited packages, something they probably already do in the background.

Logging in and out is what happens when one switches from one device to another, like going from a smart phone web browser to a web browser in the Internet Cafe.

On 2/26/2023 at 3:19 PM, Steelers0854 said:

There are too many variables with satellite internet for this to be a fair comparison.  Was it the exact same itinerary across all 4 cruises?  Location of the ship has a lot to do with the internet speed.  As does congestion on the ship side, congestion on the service provider side, weather etc.  I’m not saying Princess is better than the other 2, just pointing out unless you did the exact same itinerary on all of them, with the same weather its not a true comparison.

All you say is accurate, but Princess does not promote the "Best WIFI at Sea" as only being available some of the time in some areas of the world.

6 hours ago, ldtr said:

With the minutes system of the past, the free minutes were valued by Princess at about 50 cents/minute.  For a 7 day cruise, the benefit was 150 minutes, worth about $75 which, until recently, was more than what Princess charged full price for seven days of unlimited ($70).

So Princess changed a free benefit worth $75 to one that you need to pay $35 for with the 50% discount.

Nice trick convincing people that getting a discount is a benefit when the old benefit was worth more than the full undiscounted price of the switch to unlimited.

On 2/26/2023 at 3:58 PM, Steelers36 said:

Looks like you are not aware of Crew Incentive increase from $14.50 to $16. 

Also unaware of the Crew Incentive increase is the "Important Notices" section of the Personalizer for a cruise.

CREW APPRECIATION PAYMENT INFORMATION

To simplify the tipping process for our guests, a discretionary crew appreciation payment of USD 16.50 per guest for suites, USD 15.50 per guest for mini-suites, and USD 14.50 per guest for interior, oceanview, and balcony staterooms, per day (including children) will be automatically added to your shipboard account.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, caribill said:

Also unaware of the Crew Incentive increase is the "Important Notices" section of the Personalizer for a cruise.

CREW APPRECIATION PAYMENT INFORMATION

To simplify the tipping process for our guests, a discretionary crew appreciation payment of USD 16.50 per guest for suites, USD 15.50 per guest for mini-suites, and USD 14.50 per guest for interior, oceanview, and balcony staterooms, per day (including children) will be automatically added to your shipboard account.

SMH...

A cheaper cost is 1 device vs 4 devices which I do not use.  Does anyone know if 1 device includes your original tablet/phone or computer and the internet cafe computer so you can print boarding passes and other items.  

24 minutes ago, stromer said:

A cheaper cost is 1 device vs 4 devices which I do not use.  Does anyone know if 1 device includes your original tablet/phone or computer and the internet cafe computer so you can print boarding passes and other items.  

You could use 10 devices or more.  The only restriction is to be logged in with only one device at a time.

• Like 1