Halong Bay arrival and clearance

grmmybtty

We will be on the LA to Sydney cruise on October 4,2023. We are schedule to arrive in Halong Bay at 7am on 11/24, which is our first stop in Vietnam. Has anyone experienced a stop at this port who can tell me how long it takes for Vietnamese customs and immigration to clear the ship for disembarkation? Even though our itinerary indicates it is a tender port, the new Halong Bay International cruise terminal has opened and we may possibly dock. I would like to schedule a day cruise which departs from Tau Chau Marina at 10am, a 25 min.Taxi ride. Would I be able to make it or should I book a ship leaving later in the morning?

5 minutes ago, grmmybtty said:

We will be on the LA to Sydney cruise on October 4,2023. We are schedule to arrive in Halong Bay at 7am on 11/24, which is our first stop in Vietnam. Has anyone experienced a stop at this port who can tell me how long it takes for Vietnamese customs and immigration to clear the ship for disembarkation? Even though our itinerary indicates it is a tender port, the new Halong Bay International cruise terminal has opened and we may possibly dock. I would like to schedule a day cruise which departs from Tau Chau Marina at 10am, a 25 min.Taxi ride. Would I be able to make it or should I book a ship leaving later in the morning?

Probably you will be fine, but I’d schedule for a later time just in case. Also, we found that the ambiance on the afternoon cruise in Halong Bay was even better than in the morning.

Thank you both for your replies. The cruise I was looking at is an all day cruise sailing to the less visited Lan Hau Bay, so I think I will take the chance to book it. If I find out after we board and speak to the Oceania staff that the timing is too close, I can cancel up to a week prior.

• 7 months later...

Have a related question - I am also on the Regatta that stops at Ha Long Bay at 7am on 11/14/23.  I'm trying to arrange an independent excursion to Hanoi (as the , and am being asked into which port at Halong Bay the ship will be arriving,   Oceania today said that for my particular cruise, they don't have that answer yet and might only be able to tell us once we have already boarded the Regatta two days before.   That doesn't seem right to me - does anyone have any helpful info/intel?  Thanks in advance.

Edited by ORDBoyInLAX

29 minutes ago, ORDBoyInLAX said:

Have a related question - I am also on the Regatta that stops at Ha Long Bay at 7am on 11/14/23.  I'm trying to arrange an independent excursion to Hanoi (as the , and am being asked into which port at Halong Bay the ship will be arriving,   Oceania today said that for my particular cruise, they don't have that answer yet and might only be able to tell us once we have already boarded the Regatta two days before.   That doesn't seem right to me - does anyone have any helpful info/intel?  Thanks in advance.

we did this on a cruise ship tour many years ago. My advise go with the ships tour.  It's over 3 hrs to get to Hanoi over very hilly highway. This way you won't have to think about it. 

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, mcd-family said:

We will be on the Regatta, and have booked a private Hanoi tour on 14 November. Ship excursions were fully booked months ago. Please contact me directly if you can, would consider a shared tour.

Hello @mcd-family and welcome to Cruise Critic!

The specific Cruise Critic Roll Call thread for your cruise line, ship and sail date is the ONLY place on the Cruise Critic message boards where you and your fellow Roll Call thread members are allowed to post personal ads about sharing private tours, excursions or transportation with each other. There is a "captive audience" there since you are all sailing together! Your fellow Roll Call thread members may have important information posted in your Roll Call thread. Especially those that have sailed your line, ship or itinerary before. Also, they may have already posted private share requests that may interest you. Roll Calls are for people to get to know one another before their cruise; therefore, there will be all kinds of discussion!

To find your fellow Cruise Critic members sailing with you, you need to post on the specific Cruise Critic Roll Call thread for your cruise line, ship and sail date. Since you did not mention your sail date, I cannot merge your post into the Roll Call thread for your cruise if one has already been created.

Please read What is a Roll Call? Everything you Need to Know and How To: Create A New Roll Call. For more information about our famous Roll Calls, please read the Roll Calls and Our Policy Regarding Facebook and Roll Calls sections in the Guidelines we all agree to follow when registering for our free Cruise Critic memberships. We also have the following Cruise Critic article from last year you might enjoy8 Reasons to Join a Cruise Critic Roll Call

The Cruise Critic website and the message boards are both great resources for new as well as experienced cruisers, and we are so glad you found us! Please feel free to browse the Cruise Critic Community categories list for the various forums. Please read a few threads in the different forums to get a feel for what each forum is about. Make sure you read any pinned threads (aka Stickies) on the top of the first page of threads in most forums. You will find very important instructions or information there.

I sincerely hope this information will be helpful to someone new to posting on our message boards. We are glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! 

Happy sails,

Host Kat

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, pmatawan said:

Can anyone who sailed on Oceania recently tell me if the ship tendered into port or docked at the new cruise port terminal?

Are you due there next month ?

We are on a cruise through there at a later date.

If you remember, could you post back here as to your experience please.

Thanks.

7 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

Are you due there next month ?

We are on a cruise through there at a later date.

If you remember, could you post back here as to your experience please.

Thanks.

Will do.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, pmatawan said:

We are docking, not tendering. 

Thanks for coming back with that @pmatawan

That's good info.

One other query if I may.

Did you hear any comments regarding the shuttles into Saigon from the Hiep Phuoc port ?

How long the shuttles to & from town were taking, and what time the last shuttle left from town on the first day in Saigon.

5 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

That's good info.

Did you hear any comments regarding the shuttles into Saigon from the Hiep Phuoc port ?

How long the shuttles to & from town were taking, and what time the last shuttle left from town on the first day in Saigon.

The shuttle was to a market area. We did not take it as we were on private tours, but the ship is returning to Siagon on Feb I8th and we will be taking it at that time and I will let you know.

• Thanks 1

On 2/13/2024 at 12:28 AM, Tranquility Base said:

That's good info.

The shuttle takes less than 30 minutes but is dependent on traffic. Last shuttle is 9:30pm.

The information in Currents said shuttles don't run from 11am to 2pm and again from 5pm to 7pm to allow for meal breaks, but is inaccurate. The shuttles schedule from the bus company  shows it leaves ship on the hour and returns from the city on the half hour. That may be inaccurate also as we got on a "crew shuttle" leaving the city at 2pm.