Early departure

pops43

If you are in the first disembarkation group carrying all your luggage and there are absolutely no problems with the ship's arrival time and the staffing times and personnel numbers for the Customs and Immigration staff at the port and for airline staff (if checking luggage) and TSA at the airport it is possible.  Princess recommends flights after 11:00.  If you go with the 10:15 flight make sure you have a Plan B.

3 hours ago, pops43 said:

Can I feel comfortable booking a 10:15 am flight time out of Ft Lauderdale upon completion of a Princess cruise?  I think they have an early departure carrying luggage option. Thank you.

If you exit the ship smartly, you will be at the airport in minutes.  Do you have TSA Pre?  Do you have any airline priority?  These things help.  Do you have Global Entry or NEXUS?  Again, helps clear US CBP at the terminal.  Remember, bags are due at 9:15am for a 10:15am flight in most cases.

• Like 1

IF the ship arrives back to Ft Lauderdale on time

IF the ship clears customs without a problem

IF you are walking off with all your luggage and are among the first to walk off the ship

IF you and your party go through customs without a problem

IF you take a taxi to the airport

IF you are TSA preapproved or there is a short line for security 

Then, yes, I think you can make it

• Like 1

I do it all the time when I'm returning to San Pedro /LA, and flying out of Long Beach. 

We get in first walk off group, (our walkoff week ago we were first off

ship at 7:14 AM) and got one of the first Ubers. Its about 30 min ride to LGB.

Think its about the same timing for Ft. Laud.

Helps if you have carryon, in case you are delayed getting there & not enough time to Check bag. (we had plenty of time to check bags & enjoyed nice

little breakfast at airport.)

Yes were TSA Pre.  (Thanks to Global Entry.  We just renewed, like it alot)

Security Line was actually kinda long at the airport, but only 2 in Tsa Pre.

We have had No probs out here.

Agree about Plan B.

Edited by CalLuvsCrusingToo

Thank you all for your excellent responses, yes we do have tsa precheck which will help. We will however have bags to check. Also we are retired and don’t have time commitment to be home so alternate plans can be made.  Thanks again.

4 hours ago, pops43 said:

Thank you all for your excellent responses, yes we do have tsa precheck which will help. We will however have bags to check. Also we are retired and don’t have time commitment to be home so alternate plans can be made.  Thanks again.

A couple of other things.

What time of year are you traveling?

What time is the ship scheduled to dock?

How many ships in port?

Or just spend the night in Fort Lauderdale and don't worry about trying to make the 10:15am flight until the next morning. Could be a better option than possibly missing your flight, having to pay more to get on a flight later that day or having to wait to fly out the next day and still have to pay for a hotel.

If you do early walk off I would suggest finding out what deck you will be leaving from and get there early I had an early flight out of lax and the line for early embark was already long when I got in line.  You also may want to check out luggage forward to the airport I believe it's available I ft. Lauderdale.

1 hour ago, avonlady6390 said:

You also may want to check out luggage forward to the airport I believe it's available I ft. Lauderdale.

For using EZ-check in Fort Lauderdale the flight must leave after 11:30 so that won't help the OP.

• Like 2

Thanks, more good points to consider. The cruise is next January on Sky Princess scheduled to dock at 6:00 am on Sat Jan 20th. The primary reason the flight is so desirable is because it’s the only non stop to our home. How do I check on ships in port?

We will find out departure deck and other info for early departure on board.

14 minutes ago, pops43 said:

Thanks, more good points to consider. The cruise is next January on Sky Princess scheduled to dock at 6:00 am on Sat Jan 20th. The primary reason the flight is so desirable is because it’s the only non stop to our home. How do I check on ships in port?

We will find out departure deck and other info for early departure on board.

Check the Port Everglades ship schedule about a week in advance for ships in port:  https://pevvesseltraffic.broward.org/webx/

Right now CruiseMapper has 5 ships in port.  The Sky Princess and Odyssey of the Seas have 6 am arrival times while the 2 Celebrity ships have 7 am and none is listed yet for the Viking Mars.

Viking Mars

Sky Princess

Odyssey Of The Seas
Celebrity Reflection
Celebrity Apex

Also remember just because the ship docks at a given time it does not mean that disembarkation begins immediately especially for those ships arriving early.  I think most people would say that if everything is working according to plan disembarkation begins 20 to 30 minutes after the arrival time. 

On 2/27/2023 at 7:32 AM, pops43 said:

Can I feel comfortable booking a 10:15 am flight time out of Ft Lauderdale upon completion of a Princess cruise?  I think they have an early departure carrying luggage option. Thank you.

Yes, you could make it if you get off at the earliest at 7am, take a taxi, and be at the gate by 8am.  We had done that.

• Like 1