Flying home from Amsterdam This August

Compass Rose Monica

Greetings,

I've been trying to figure out the earliest flight home from Amsterdam (to Wilmington NC or any nearby airport). I will be on the Journey Norway cruise August 1st to the 17th. First time on Azamara - very excited!!

A friend stated not to get a flight earlier than noon. I haven't found many flights after noon (I'm still looking at alternatives). I found one at 10:55am and wondering if this is okay. I looked on some past comments from August 2022 and folks have stated to be at the airport 4 hours before the flight. Is this still true?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Monica

I work in Amsterdam and use the airport on almost a weekly basis.

It's much improved from the dark days directly after Covid

There are no guarantees ever with travel but I'd say 2.5 hours max, less if you have any type of priority 

Are you overnighting in Amsterdam the night before you leave?  If so, you can leave much earlier.  If not, if you’re flying in business or first you should be able to fly earlier.  I personally wouldn’t advise too early if you’re flying coach.

55 minutes ago, laurieb said:

Are you overnighting in Amsterdam the night before you leave?  If so, you can leave much earlier.  If not, if you’re flying in business or first you should be able to fly earlier.  I personally wouldn’t advise too early if you’re flying coach.

Is it because of coach, or because of security.  TSA Pre should expedite even the cheapest seats (if they have it at AMS).

Monica- I

5 hours ago, Compass Rose Monica said:

Greetings,

I've been trying to figure out the earliest flight home from Amsterdam (to Wilmington NC or any nearby airport). I will be on the Journey Norway cruise August 1st to the 17th. First time on Azamara - very excited!!

A friend stated not to get a flight earlier than noon. I haven't found many flights after noon (I'm still looking at alternatives). I found one at 10:55am and wondering if this is okay. I looked on some past comments from August 2022 and folks have stated to be at the airport 4 hours before the flight. Is this still true?

Monica

I'm also on this Norway cruise. I hope you have joined the roll call for the cruise.

Schiphol can be pretty crazy. We decided to come home on 8/18 (flying into Philly) and will stay at the airport the night before, so we aren't so rushed in the AM. I would want to be at the airport at least 3- 3 1/2 hours early. I'm guessing that the ship will dock by the Central Train Station in Amsterdam. Haven't decided what we will do after we get off, exactly, but I think the options are:

1. transfer from ship to airport if flying out same day (we decided not to chance it)

2. stay in the city (leave bags in train station baggage check) If staying in town, just take something small for the night. There is a nice Renaissance with walking distance of the train station that we have stayed at a couple of times. Or if staying at the airport, check bags for the day and take the train out to the airport. Another option would be to take the ship transfer to the airport, check in and just leave the bags at the hotel, take the train back and forth to town. I think it's bit of a hike at the terminal to get into the train station, even though they seem to be next to each other.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Is it because of coach, or because of security.  TSA Pre should expedite even the cheapest seats (if they have it at AMS).

Makes no real difference Boxman is right with his timing. Amsterdam is poor for priority lanes. Lauries advice is sound on considering a night before stay at the airport or an extra day in Amsterdam 

One thing to consider is that this is the school holidays so Schiphol will probably be a bit of a madhouse! Great itinerary by the way however while you  are in Amsterdam why not take the advice of others above and stay (at least) one night. No worries if you will be in time and such a relaxing end to a cruise.

Here is some more info about the port.

https://www.whatsinport.com/Amsterdam.htm

Happy planning.

Rosalyn

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I thought that TSA pre was available only when flying from a US airport.  Is it also available when flying from a European airport to the US?

DON

• Like 1

Just now, donaldsc said:

I thought that TSA pre was available only when flying from a US airport.  Is it also available when flying from a European airport to the US?

DON

I never seen it,in AU I asked about it Abd they never heard of it.

personally I would stay longer there or if ship is there stay at airport hotel.

to the person who,stsrted this thread I live in NC and normally have to,fly thru ORD thru to Asheville.  
this summer using Zurich to,ORD and  that was to leave Venice.

living in tiny towns makes it harder. I know people who have used Dallas,Greenville also.

6 hours ago, Compass Rose Monica said:

Greetings,

Monica

Personally I would stay an extra day and get to,airport at 7;or so

8 hours ago, knitter said:

Monica- I

I'm also on this Norway cruise. I hope you have joined the roll call for the cruise.

Schiphol can be pretty crazy. We decided to come home on 8/18 (flying into Philly) and will stay at the airport the night before, so we aren't so rushed in the AM. I would want to be at the airport at least 3- 3 1/2 hours early. I'm guessing that the ship will dock by the Central Train Station in Amsterdam. Haven't decided what we will do after we get off, exactly, but I think the options are:

1. transfer from ship to airport if flying out same day (we decided not to chance it)

2. stay in the city (leave bags in train station baggage check) If staying in town, just take something small for the night. There is a nice Renaissance with walking distance of the train station that we have stayed at a couple of times. Or if staying at the airport, check bags for the day and take the train out to the airport. Another option would be to take the ship transfer to the airport, check in and just leave the bags at the hotel, take the train back and forth to town. I think it's bit of a hike at the terminal to get into the train station, even though they seem to be next to each other.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I think we will spend 1, maybe 2, night in Amsterdam and avoid the hassle the morning we dock.

Knitter, yes, I am on the roll call. Looking forward to meeting you. I guess I'll have to figure out where to stay so that getting to/from places will not be time-consuming. Which hotel do you plan to stay in? 

Monica

• Like 3

Please note news has appeared in the Dutch press Schiphol still hasn't got their act together and they were once again forced to cancel flights during the very busy May School Holidays. Apparently, Security staff levels have settled, however, there is still an enormous problem with the understaffed baggage handling departments.

As the ship arrives in Amsterdam on disembarkation day, I suggest you stay overnight and catch a flight the next day. It's a great city! 🙂

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Oslo Dutch said:

Please note news has appeared in the Dutch press Schiphol still hasn't got their act together and they were once again forced to cancel flights during the very busy May School Holidays. Apparently, Security staff levels have settled, however, there is still an enormous problem with the understaffed baggage handling departments.

As the ship arrives in Amsterdam on disembarkation day, I suggest you stay overnight and catch a flight the next day. It's a great city! 🙂

I just booked a hotel close to the airport with complimentary shuttle. We can use it to get to the airport to get to the train station and head to town. Staying at for two nights. 

Monica

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Compass Rose Monica said:

Thanks everyone for your comments. I think we will spend 1, maybe 2, night in Amsterdam and avoid the hassle the morning we dock.

Knitter, yes, I am on the roll call. Looking forward to meeting you. I guess I'll have to figure out where to stay so that getting to/from places will not be time-consuming. Which hotel do you plan to stay in? 

Monica

Post this cruise we are staying at the Sheraton at the Amsterdam airport. We spent several days in the city in 2109, stayed at the Renaissance.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Compass Rose Monica said:

I just booked a hotel close to the airport with complimentary shuttle. We can use it to get to the airport to get to the train station and head to town. Staying at for two nights. 

Monica

You. Ed to pre book AnnFranks House..else you waste hours in line.

I did that plus two museums inna day. Another day walked from the Jewish area to Rembrandt’s  home to the Red  light area back to the ship.lots of walking but a great day 

Just now, Roel94 said:

You. Ed to pre book AnnFranks House..else you waste hours in line.

I did that plus two museums inna day. Another day walked from the Jewish area to Rembrandt’s  home to the Red  light area back to the ship.lots of walking but a great day 

Need to pre book  Ann Franks 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, knitter said:

Post this cruise we are staying at the Sheraton at the Amsterdam airport. We spent several days in the city in 2109, stayed at the Renaissance.

I changed hotels to the Movenpick next to the train station. Easy off the ship and to the hotel, drop off the luggage, and dive into the city.  Been there before a couple of times as a port visit. May visit Delft the second day or another place. 

Decided I didn't want us to go back and forth to the hotel since it would mean the train/metro and a shuttle bus. Spending more than I want but paying for convenience. If we want to take a break in our hotel room, it will be easy to get to, rather than trekking back to the airport area. 

Monica

• Like 3