Natural Seasickness Remedies

Wayfairers

I only feel seasick on board during the worst weather.  But, I am planning to take some excursions where those prone to seasickness are advised to be prepared.  

Are there any natural things to take to prevent seasickness?   Anything that will work quickly so I can assess the situation and take it only if I need it?   Typically when I can see the horizon I’m fine…I’ve done that on 2 boats that broke their previous number of seasick bags used records.   

Candied Ginger...

Of course, during the rough times, locate yourselves in the midship part of the ship to maintain balance.

Of course, I do carry medication in case that does help. Do accept riding it out...

1 hour ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Candied Ginger...

Of course, during the rough times, locate yourselves in the midship part of the ship to maintain balance.

Of course, I do carry medication in case that does help. Do accept riding it out...

How quickly does the candied ginger work?

Prevention is the best cure. If you wait until you are seasick before taking any remedy, whether natural or pharmaceutical,  then you have to wait for your body to metabolize it. It will take longer on a full stomach. "Natural", plant based remedies may or may not work well or at all, depending on just how sick you feel. However my DD had success with taking a couple of ginger tablets an hour or so before embarking on a snorkeling trip, where she knew the motion of the boat would be an issue for her.

• Like 2

Since ginger isn't a controlled substance, but rather just a food, you should take it any time Captain Speaking advises rough seas may be ahead. Useful forms are ginger beer (not alcoholic, though you can get a can from any bar), ginger snaps (cookies), ginger capsules (if for some reason you don't like the taste of ginger), or just a hunk of candied raw ginger root.
It will also help your stomach if you ate some spicy food on an excursion or something. The key word is "help," as in make it better but not perfect.

• Like 2

Has anyone tried the pressure point bracelets?  I read online they work quickly but don’t work for everyone.  I’m wondering if those they didn’t work for had them over the pressure point and were wearing one on each arm. 

6 minutes ago, Wayfairers said:

Has anyone tried the pressure point bracelets?  I read online they work quickly but don’t work for everyone.  I’m wondering if those they didn’t work for had them over the pressure point and were wearing one on each arm. 

DW moderate results heavy Seas use them.

Always take them. 

Me, tablets, hot tea, cheese and sliced apple. Of course, NAP!

Good as Better Than New...

33 minutes ago, Wayfairers said:

My husband wears two of the bands, and they do a great job for him. He wore them on a deep sea fishing trip and he was one of two that didn’t get sick.

For me the bands provide a little relief, but I take ginger capsules twice a day for the best results. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wayfairers said:

I think their effectiveness is largely dependent upon the belief of the wearer that they work.  

The “natural” remedies suggested by the title which do seem to work are ginger - in as strong a concentration as possible — crystallized ginger yes, but ginger snaps and ginger ale (as opposed to ginger beer) are highly diluted;     and green apples —- add a lot of fresh air and light food, while minimizing alcohol.

23 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I think their effectiveness is largely dependent upon the belief of the wearer that they work.  

I think that this is correct in many instances with this and "natural" remedies. You think that you feel better, because you know that you are supposed to feel better.  

We take ginger capsules with us, but never have had to use them.  The old TV series, "Mythbusters", once did a segment on motion sickness.  They experimented with several different suggestions people submitted. They took the remedy, then did wild and crazy things to feel motion sickness -- extreme roller coasters for example.  The only one that really worked was ginger.

• Like 2

On 3/1/2023 at 11:16 AM, Wayfairers said:

I used them and didn't have much success UNTIL I had acupuncture and my acupuncturist showed me how to properly apply pressure. I do get really seasick (which is why I use acupuncture) - but if I'm in a car and I feel unwell then I dig my nail in to that point so hard that there's a mark on my wrist. 

Ginger also works. In Canada you can buy Gravel ginger - chewable tablets. 

Other tips I have learned - don't ever let your stomach be completely empty. Avoid super greasy food. Don't let your bladder get too full. 

1 hour ago, mrgabriel said:

I used them and didn't have much success UNTIL I had acupuncture and my acupuncturist showed me how to properly apply pressure. I do get really seasick (which is why I use acupuncture) - but if I'm in a car and I feel unwell then I dig my nail in to that point so hard that there's a mark on my wrist. 

Ginger also works. In Canada you can buy Gravel ginger - chewable tablets. 

Other tips I have learned - don't ever let your stomach be completely empty. Avoid super greasy food. Don't let your bladder get too full. 

Thanks…good to know hour bands didn’t work until you learned the correct placement.  

I know greasy food and don’t let your stomach get completely empty.   I didn’t know about the bladder 

My best friend suffers from motion sickness.  She buys ginger capsules from a vitamin store.  GNC maybe???   Anyways, she takes 2 caps (I believe) three times a day, starting 3 days prior to cruising.  She has never had an issue with motion sickness on a cruise.

4 hours ago, sharod103 said:

My best friend suffers from motion sickness.  She buys ginger capsules from a vitamin store.  GNC maybe???   Anyways, she takes 2 caps (I believe) three times a day, starting 3 days prior to cruising.  She has never had an issue with motion sickness on a cruise.

Glad they work for her -- I think ginger is clearly the best protection ---- but I doubt taking it that much in advance is necessary (or even effective).   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sharod103 said:

I buy Ginger Root from Vitamin Shoppe and take a capsule one day before the cruise and one when boarding the ship .It usually works but not always.

11 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Glad they work for her -- I think ginger is clearly the best protection ---- but I doubt taking it that much in advance is necessary (or even effective).   

10 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I buy Ginger Root from Vitamin Shoppe and take a capsule one day before the cruise and one when boarding the ship .It usually works but not always.

My friend has dealt with motion sickness her whole life. Where she got the directions to take her ginger, I don't know. But I do know it works for her.

We were supposed to go on a cruise the end of March 2020, but COVID hit and it was a no-go. Since our last cruise, can't remember the year but definitely pre-2017, she has developed Meniere's disease.  She followed with ENT, and went to what she called a dizzy clinic. Basically teaching her vision/balance exercises, which she still does religiously three times a day.  That disease is horrible for her. It's under control for her now, but in the beginning the room would actually flip upside down, spin, and she would have extreme nausea and vomiting.  She also lost 60% hearing in her one ear.

We all have a cruise booked for April 2024. This will be the first time she has cruised since being diagnosed with Meniere's.  We are leaving out of a drivable port, so at least we don't have to do any flying.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed for her ❤️