FTTF times

bartleby112

I know there are a few questions already out there about FTTF.  But I'm curious what to actually expect about early boarding and debarking. 
Parents are platinum, (hold your applause please LOL JK) so I'm wondering if we arrive at the port the same time, and I don't get FTTF, how much longer we will have to wait till its our turn (assuming we are up at 12am to check in).

I can see the perks of being able to drop off of bags at the room, especially with little ones.

And I guess I'm also wondering how much faster we can get off the ship when we are done assuming we take our own bags to make it faster.  Got a 14 hour drive home and wife wants to be home so we can do Easter stuff the next am.

Thanks!

That all really depends on what check in time you are able to snag. If you got a 10am check in time, you realistically are probably never more than half an hour behind your parents boarding the ship. They will get to pick check in time at 16 days until the cruise and you at 14 days. With FTTF you can show up with them at any time and will board right behind them. Last cruise our friends were platinum and we were not, but we did have FTTF, we actually passed them while boarding the ship as they stopped to take a picture. 

Off the ship is a little more of a difference sometimes. Platinum and FTTF will be invited to a location to wait for priority debark and it will even have snacks. Then they will be guided off the ship all at once. without FTTF or priority status, you will debark by your assigned number they call unless you use self debark and carry all your own luggage off the ship. 

Edited by asalligo

21 minutes ago, asalligo said:

That all really depends on what check in time you are able to snag. If you got a 10am check in time, you realistically are probably never more than half an hour behind your parents boarding the ship. They will get to pick check in time at 16 days until the cruise and you at 14 days. With FTTF you can show up with them at any time and will board right behind them. Last cruise our friends were platinum and we were not, but we did have FTTF, we actually passed them while boarding the ship as they stopped to take a picture. 

Off the ship is a little more of a difference sometimes. Platinum and FTTF will be invited to a location to wait for priority debark and it will even have snacks. Then they will be guided off the ship all at once. without FTTF or priority status, you will debark by your assigned number they call unless you use self debark and carry all your own luggage off the ship. 

So even the self disembark where we carry our own luggage is not as fast as platinum or FTTF?

14 hours ago, bartleby112 said:

So even the self disembark where we carry our own luggage is not as fast as platinum or FTTF?

Sorry, I will have to defer to someone who know more about that. I have not self debarked without FTTF in years. My second to last cruise on the Pride though (December 2022) I self debarked with FTTF and I was asked to meet in a certain location and we were guided off the ship. I can only assume this was before the regular self debark was released. 

On our December MG cruise we were in a suite and platinum, we self debark as we have a 8.50 hr road trip home.  We had earliest debark,  we were in one waiting room (suites) and FTTF were in another room (they had staff directing and showing you where to go).  We left the ship and were in our car (parked at port) on the road by a few mins after 7 AM.  FTTF cruisers definitely went before the self debark that didn't have it.  If you have younger children with you it would be worth it to be able to drop off your carryons and be hands free (except for the kids of course!) until your room is ready.  

9 hours ago, Drazil65 said:

On our December MG cruise we were in a suite and platinum, we self debark as we have a 8.50 hr road trip home.  We had earliest debark,  we were in one waiting room (suites) and FTTF were in another room (they had staff directing and showing you where to go).  We left the ship and were in our car (parked at port) on the road by a few mins after 7 AM.  FTTF cruisers definitely went before the self debark that didn't have it.  If you have younger children with you it would be worth it to be able to drop off your carryons and be hands free (except for the kids of course!) until your room is ready.  

yeah. i think that would be worth while. since i posted this, the FTTF sold out! it was sold out earlier, then reappeared, but has sold out again.  we will probably only have back packs.  parents are platinum and the room next to us.  so now that i'm thinking about it. i can drop our stuff off in there room!!!

We cruised Carnival Vista last November without FTTF...and Carnival Dream last month with FTTF. I'll compare our experiences...boarding wasn't as quick without, but since we had an early time it wasn't a big deal. What was a big deal was having to drag our carry-ons and backpacks all over the ship without FTTF...especially since all the elevators are horribly busy and taking stairs with luggage is very tough. Our cabin wasn't available until right at 1:30. With FTTF, we boarded early, and was at our cabin at 10:45 dropping off our stuff. Our cabin attendant was cleaning our cabin, and he told us if we wanted full access to our room, he would be finished by 11 am. On the Vista, I had to wait once at the service desk almost 20 minutes...on the Dream...with FTTF, I had priority service at the service desk, and skipped the long line. And, our self assist debarkation was horrible on the Vista without FTTF. We had to wait on the floor above the gangway until they called our turn...then we had to drag everything down stairs...with a throng of pushy people ( getting an elevator was impossible).it was HORRIBLE!!....with FTTF on the Dream, we were allowed to wait on the gangway floor with the priority people...and debarkation was super easy and fast. We have used FTTF six times...have it booked again for our next cruise in November...and we love it.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, hillbillycruisers said:

We cruised Carnival Vista last November without FTTF...and Carnival Dream last month with FTTF. I'll compare our experiences...boarding wasn't as quick without, but since we had an early time it wasn't a big deal. What was a big deal was having to drag our carry-ons and backpacks all over the ship without FTTF...especially since all the elevators are horribly busy and taking stairs with luggage is very tough. Our cabin wasn't available until right at 1:30. With FTTF, we boarded early, and was at our cabin at 10:45 dropping off our stuff. Our cabin attendant was cleaning our cabin, and he told us if we wanted full access to our room, he would be finished by 11 am. On the Vista, I had to wait once at the service desk almost 20 minutes...on the Dream...with FTTF, I had priority service at the service desk, and skipped the long line. And, our self assist debarkation was horrible on the Vista without FTTF. We had to wait on the floor above the gangway until they called our turn...then we had to drag everything down stairs...with a throng of pushy people ( getting an elevator was impossible).it was HORRIBLE!!....with FTTF on the Dream, we were allowed to wait on the gangway floor with the priority people...and debarkation was super easy and fast. We have used FTTF six times...have it booked again for our next cruise in November...and we love it.

yikes. thats def a night and day difference! 

Are your bookings linked?  If so, your parents may be able to choose a boarding time for you when they check-in.  Please note I may be incorrect about this.  

after boarding, meet up with your parents and put things in their room so you don’t have to carry them around.  Yes, you will have to move them later, but you will have the freedom of not toting your luggage while getting lunch and muster drill.

If you want to be off the ship early, put that you have an early flight (I know you are driving, but early flights get off the ship in the first round).  No one checks into these things, they are trusting people will put down proper departure info.

Edited by FTLCruiseGal

On 2/28/2023 at 4:08 PM, asalligo said:

So does your arrival time not matter when you have FTTF?  I've read several things and this is the one detail I'm still confused about.  If i choose a noon arrival time, and get there at 10, can i still get checked in at the port?  I have FTTF for my first Carnival Cruise on the Mardi Gras and am checking in next Sat.

3 hours ago, browerjs said:

So does your arrival time not matter when you have FTTF?  I've read several things and this is the one detail I'm still confused about.  If i choose a noon arrival time, and get there at 10, can i still get checked in at the port?  I have FTTF for my first Carnival Cruise on the Mardi Gras and am checking in next Sat.

Pre-covid, it was clear that you could.

Post covid, while reports are that you can ignore the arrival time and get in the priority line whenever you arrive, arrival instructions from Carnival has said otherwise.  It's very confusing.

8 hours ago, FTLCruiseGal said:

Are your bookings linked?  If so, your parents may be able to choose a boarding time for you when they check-in.  Please note I may be incorrect about this.  

after boarding, meet up with your parents and put things in their room so you don’t have to carry them around.  Yes, you will have to move them later, but you will have the freedom of not toting your luggage while getting lunch and muster drill.

If you want to be off the ship early, put that you have an early flight (I know you are driving, but early flights get off the ship in the first round).  No one checks into these things, they are trusting people will put down proper departure info.

Will have to look into this.  Would be interesting if they could pick our times. But i doubt it works. Just seems like a sneak around to avoid buying FTTF. 

Pre-Covid, with FTTF and at Galveston, we were allowed to walk in when we got to the port.  During our recent cruise in January (Long Beach on the Panorama), we had FTTF and a 10:30 boarding time.  We had to wait for the 10:30 time to be called, but there was a dedicated FTTF lane, and we walked directly to the check-in processing area.  After check-in, we were shown to a seating area near the platinums and boarded the ship after the diamonds, suites and platinums were called.  Then, because we had FTTF, #5 tags were delivered to our room with disembarkation instructions, so we were off the ship quickly.

Other ports may have different protocols for FTTF, and we will find out if the process is different in Galveston later this year.

Happy cruising!  

On 3/3/2023 at 7:24 AM, FTLCruiseGal said:

I have two cabins booked for this May, one with me (Platinum) and my mom (Gold) and one for my two DD's (Gold).  My Cruise Manager says my Check-In date for my cabin is two days earlier than my DD's cabin.  Yay, I get to stay up to midnight twice in one week!😅

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

I have two cabins booked for this May, one with me (Platinum) and my mom (Gold) and one for my two DD's (Gold).  My Cruise Manager says my Check-In date for my cabin is two days earlier than my DD's cabin.  Yay, I get to stay up to midnight twice in one week!😅

Or you can just wait and do your check-in at the same time as the other two. I assume you'll want to stay together, so your earlier check-in time isn't really going to be an advantage in this situation. 😉

• Like 1

On 3/3/2023 at 10:57 AM, browerjs said:

Yes, you may ignore arrival time and arrive at your leisure with FTTF. I tested it in December and then again in February in Tampa and Port Canaveral. Arriving at 9:30 am for my 10:30 and then 11:30am check in times. I was just pointed to the Priority check in line. 

20 hours ago, hapster85 said:

Or you can just wait and do your check-in at the same time as the other two. I assume you'll want to stay together, so your earlier check-in time isn't really going to be an advantage in this situation. 😉

I will probably check my cabin in early.  My mom needs wheelchair assistance so like you said, it may be a moot point but it might possibly help.  And I usually stay up till midnight to play the next day's Wordle anyway. 😅

• Like 1

Just my two cents...

We arrived to Port of Miami at 10:30am for our assigned time. Out of the van and into the terminal, checked in with our passports, dog sniffed our bags, bags in the x-ray machine, and on the ship at 10:52am!  We hung out in the very back since not many people go there. Three kids under 4 and 11 adults. We just grab food and hang until 1:30 when the rooms are open. This is without FTTF!

Everything in Miami is quick and efficient which I believe is the standard these days.

Getting off the ship at port, easy and quick...maybe 5 mins?!

Debarking morning, Down to deck 6 and waited 10 minutes for the suits/platinum guest to get off a 7:15am. I was off the ship (group of 14) at 7:32am and arrived to the Miami airport at 8:03am. Since we had passports, we didn't need to check in with customs. Just walked out of the terminal as we carried our own bags off.

This was the carnival Celebration with over 6000 passengers. I wouldn't pay for it...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Riles34 said:

Just my two cents...

We arrived to Port of Miami at 10:30am for our assigned time. Out of the van and into the terminal, checked in with our passports, dog sniffed our bags, bags in the x-ray machine, and on the ship at 10:52am!  We hung out in the very back since not many people go there. Three kids under 4 and 11 adults. We just grab food and hang until 1:30 when the rooms are open. This is without FTTF!

Everything in Miami is quick and efficient which I believe is the standard these days.

Getting off the ship at port, easy and quick...maybe 5 mins?!

Debarking morning, Down to deck 6 and waited 10 minutes for the suits/platinum guest to get off a 7:15am. I was off the ship (group of 14) at 7:32am and arrived to the Miami airport at 8:03am. Since we had passports, we didn't need to check in with customs. Just walked out of the terminal as we carried our own bags off.

This was the carnival Celebration with over 6000 passengers. I wouldn't pay for it...

Sailing out of Miami is a pleasure in many ways.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Riles34 said:

This is good to know. We have an early flight from FLL. We couldn't do anything about that part. If we get off at this time or even an hour later, we should still be good.

On 3/5/2023 at 1:12 AM, DPTexas said:

Pre-Covid, with FTTF and at Galveston, we were allowed to walk in when we got to the port.  During our recent cruise in January (Long Beach on the Panorama), we had FTTF and a 10:30 boarding time.  We had to wait for the 10:30 time to be called, but there was a dedicated FTTF lane, and we walked directly to the check-in processing area.  After check-in, we were shown to a seating area near the platinums and boarded the ship after the diamonds, suites and platinums were called.  Then, because we had FTTF, #5 tags were delivered to our room with disembarkation instructions, so we were off the ship quickly.

Other ports may have different protocols for FTTF, and we will find out if the process is different in Galveston later this year.

Happy cruising!  

I was wondering about Long Beach. I have seen others report on here that there was no line for FTTF. I am going on the Panorama with my kids and their significant others. I am platinum so will get in the priority boarding lane. I was hoping FTTF would allow us to stay together. We would just wait to board until FTTF is called.

On 3/4/2023 at 10:12 PM, DPTexas said:

Happy cruising!  

This was our experience 2 weeks ago, EXCEPT disembarking. Not sure what the hold up was but we didn’t get off until almost 11:00. They called the people carrying off first, by muster. If we had know it would take as long as it did we would have done that! 🤷‍♀️ glad our flight wasn’t until 4:30 but we had bought tickets to the aquarium and that was a waste. 

On 3/8/2023 at 8:29 PM, kona_wahine said:

This was our experience 2 weeks ago, EXCEPT disembarking. Not sure what the hold up was but we didn’t get off until almost 11:00. They called the people carrying off first, by muster. If we had know it would take as long as it did we would have done that! 🤷‍♀️ glad our flight wasn’t until 4:30 but we had bought tickets to the aquarium and that was a waste. 

What ship was that on?