Booked a cruise on The Seine! Trying out Tauck for this one.

Lois R

47 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Possibly.  You’d really have to compare the day by day.  Tauck quite often will have insider-access type activities and they always have a special dinner or event with entertainment off-ship.  I will say the quality of the excursions at Tauck seems much better than at Uniworld with smaller groups, smaller bus loads and a little more “hand holding” if you need it.  There are also usually multiple ports where you’ll have a choice of excursion and the groups are also divided by walking speed.  You also have the option to just take a map and DIY.

This is what @maryogreen said in her review from her Tauck river cruise:

The special access tour of Giverny was as wonderful as I had imagined, and there was also a terrific after-hours private tour at the Louvre.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2

@Lois RI have not sailed with Uniworld or AMA and can only comment on our experience with Tauck. We did this cruise in September 2021, just as travel was beginning to open up after the pandemic. It was absolutely extraordinary in every way! I was attracted to the "special access" tour of Giverny and the private after-hours tour of the Louvre as @Gourmet Galand @Coralmentioned. We only had 30 passengers, but Tauck treated the cruise as if we were a full riverboat of 100, carrying on with all activities and tours.

Here's a link to the review I posted on this CC Board:

I also have blog posts with stories and photos from each port, which will give you an idea of the excursions. They are posted in order of oldest to most recent, starting with "Paris in the Fall" and ending with "Traveling Internationally in 2021." And as others have mentioned here, it's a great idea to spend a couple of days in Paris before the cruise. We didn't stay at the Tauck hotel, but did choose a location where we could walk or take the Metro to places we wanted to visit.

https://www.themodernpostcard.com/category/france/page/2/

Best of luck with your decision! I'm happy to answer additional  questions that you may have.

Mary

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

You are so welcome.  After delving through your extensive blog I am even more impressed.  You’re a wonderful writer!

It is an amazing resource! I love her photography and writing. I wish I had her life 🙂 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, maryogreen said:

@Lois RI have not sailed with Uniworld or AMA and can only comment on our experience with Tauck. We did this cruise in September 2021, just as travel was beginning to open up after the pandemic. It was absolutely extraordinary in every way! I was attracted to the "special access" tour of Giverny and the private after-hours tour of the Louvre as @Gourmet Galand @Coralmentioned. We only had 30 passengers, but Tauck treated the cruise as if we were a full riverboat of 100, carrying on with all activities and tours.

Here's a link to the review I posted on this CC Board:

I also have blog posts with stories and photos from each port, which will give you an idea of the excursions. They are posted in order of oldest to most recent, starting with "Paris in the Fall" and ending with "Traveling Internationally in 2021." And as others have mentioned here, it's a great idea to spend a couple of days in Paris before the cruise. We didn't stay at the Tauck hotel, but did choose a location where we could walk or take the Metro to places we wanted to visit.

https://www.themodernpostcard.com/category/france/page/2/

Best of luck with your decision! I'm happy to answer additional  questions that you may have.

Mary

Hi Mary, thanks for sharing your experience with us....looks and sounds like you had a wonderful time😀

• Like 2

I like Hotel 31. It’s near the Eiffel Tower and not far from the ports. The location is safe, a lot of restaurants and more local area then tourist. I usually stay in smaller boutique hotels. Plus they will arrange a car service from airport if needed. The train as mentioned before is easy. 

On 3/2/2023 at 7:56 AM, Lois R said:

"I would like to find a private tour guide who knows the area. I will do my research. I know Tours by Locals is supposed to be quite good and I will check them out."

@Lois R I'm late to this party but as I was reading through I thought I should suggest a TbL guide and then I came across you comment. Jane and I booked two B2B cruises with Ama In August of '21 beginning it Paris. We had a couple of extra days and having never been to Paris we decided a private guide was the best idea. 

We booked Eugenie P. and cannot recommend her highly enough! We spent the first day walking and taking the Metro all over Paris. It was a marvelous day. The next day we spent a half day visiting Versailles with her. It too was wonderful. She's fun, energetic, knowledgeable.... everything you want in a private guide. If you do happen to choose her, please tell her Paul & Jane from TX say hello.

Paul

• Like 1

On 3/7/2023 at 9:25 AM, Wings55 said:

Hi Paul, good to see you🙂. Thanks for the recommendation. I am sort of stepping back and still figuring things out. I guess I posted this whole thread without thinking everything through to start.........

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Another Midwesterner said:

Thank you for the links.

9 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Paul, good to see you🙂. Thanks for the recommendation. I am sort of stepping back and still figuring things out. I guess I posted this whole thread without thinking everything through to start.........

Did you put a deposit down on Tauck? Their cancellation fees were pretty weird when I looked into them. You had to buy their insurance to cover the deposit if I remember correctly and their insurance wasn't cheap. It was enough that I was afraid to book as my schedule is not firm that far out in time. I have no doubt the quality is there and I would like to try them but just not right now.

2 minutes ago, Coral said:

Did you put a deposit down on Tauck? Their cancellation fees were pretty weird when I looked into them. You had to buy their insurance to cover the deposit if I remember correctly and their insurance wasn't cheap. It was enough that I was afraid to book as my schedule is not firm that far out in time. I have no doubt the quality is there and I would like to try them but just not right now.

Hi, I got my deposit back in full. It actually came through today. I did not need insurance to cover it at all. I was told I had 15 days to decide before payment was due in full. There was no penalty and as mentioned, I have already received the credit on my credit card.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi, I got my deposit back in full. It actually came through today. I did not need insurance to cover it at all. I was told I had 15 days to decide before payment was due in full. There was no penalty and as mentioned, I have already received the credit on my credit card.

Congrats. Maybe they changed their policies or maybe I was trying to hold something for a year out and wouldn't know until sooner. It was before COVID when I was looking at them.