Booked a cruise on The Seine! Trying out Tauck for this one.

Lois R

Good morning, first, thank you all for the suggestions and your thoughts🙂 .and don't take this wrong but OMG.....it certainly sounds like everyone has their own views on what to do, how long to stay, where to go, etc....etc....it is a bit overwhelming. 

I have traveled on my own for many years (20 of those years cruising). But it sure does sound like Paris is different.  To be honest, I don't have a list of "to do" stuff.....I have always wanted to sail on the Seine and the rest of it is gravy. 

I would like to find a private tour guide who knows the area. I will do my research. I know Tours by Locals is supposed to be quite good and I will check them out.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

How many times have you been to Paris?  I don’t want to make redundant recommendations.  If you’ve been a few times perhaps I can suggest you drill down to some more unusual sites and activities and we can make some suggestions.

I’ve sailed three times with Tauck and enjoyed the quality of the excursions, especially on the Rhône.  On that cruise the pre-cruise hotel was The Intercontinental next to the opera house.  Nice location but the hotel was not great.  Really musty and rather dumpy.  Paris is a wonderful city to splurge on a true luxury hotel. I would highly recommend The Reserve or The Peninsula.  Beyond that, I’m sure you'll have a great time and I would be very interested in your thoughts as to the comparison between Tauck, Uniworld and AMA…I really trust your opinion.

The Intercontinental is what they are using now but when the gal told me the cost I said I would find my own hotel. As I mentioned, I looked at the 2 properties you suggested......they are way, way, way more $$$$ than I spend.  They might be luxury 2 grand per night? No thanks.

18 hours ago, Roz said:

@Lois R, Paris will blow you away.  I felt like I was on overload.  So much to see and do and take in.  

Like @Gourmet Gal, I'll be interested in your impressions of Tauck vs. Uniworld.

Hi Roz🙂, yes, even from the postings, it seems like overload would be the correct term.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

The Intercontinental is what they are using now but when the gal told me the cost I said I would find my own hotel. As I mentioned, I looked at the 2 properties you suggested......they are way, way, way more $$$$ than I spend.  They might be luxury 2 grand per night? No thanks.

Once you’ve sailed with Tauck you will be offered a complimentary hotel night, including breakfast, before or after your future cruises.  Nice perk.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

If you have only one day I would skip all the museums with the possible exception of L’Orangerie or the Picasso Museum in the Marais.  Even then it’s a chunk out of a day that will fly by.

After re-reading all the postings on here, I will probably go 2 days early. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Do you mean the Galeries Lafayette, behind the Opera Garnier? We go there for the food and wine shop (Le Gourmet), diagonally across from the main building.

Definitely worth checking out: https://haussmann.galerieslafayette.com/coupole-galeries-lafayette/

I enjoyed it many years ago.

Have not been for many years, but I find the Sacre Coeur experience overrated, too busy and I have in recent years been made aware of the dangers of being up there in the evening.

I found the Pantheon highly interesting, but this topic is not for everyone of course: https://www.napoleon.org/en/magazine/places/pantheon/

notamermaid

I wouldn’t stress over “only” a day or two in Paris. Just a taste is better than nothing at all.
If there is a popular site you want to visit, it’s always a good idea to get tickets on-line ahead of time. 

• Like 1

I just called Tauck and will be going 2 days early...so even though some of you said that is still not enough? Oh well. It is more than 1🙂.  And to be honest, it is really only 1.5.  The flight gets in around noon so arrival day is not a whole day. I am good with my decision though.

Been researching hotels this morning but haven't found one yet.

• Like 2

I won't add my priorities to the already overwhelming list you've gotten above.  Instead I'll offer a way to simplify your planning:  get Rick Steves Paris.  He has suggested itineraries for 1 day, 2 days, etc.  Start there, but make your own judgment from his detailed descriptions of the sights.  You may be able to pick and choose from his 4-day list once you eliminate those that don't appeal.  [I have been to Paris many, many times – it is the top city that I want to keep returning to – but I don't feel called to visit Les Invalides no matter what Rick or anyone says in its favor.]

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

I just called Tauck and will be going 2 days early...so even though some of you said that is still not enough? Oh well. It is more than 1🙂.  And to be honest, it is really only 1.5.  The flight gets in around noon so arrival day is not a whole day. I am good with my decision though.

Been researching hotels this morning but haven't found one yet.

You’ll have a great time, glad you could extend your stay.

Good choice to add another day.  There's 1,000 ways to see Paris, and you have an abundance of choices.  Decide what's important to you and go enjoy.  One of my favorite things is just sitting in a sidewalk cafe and watching people.

@jpalbnyYes, it's a great name! LOL

• Like 3

Hello again, yes, I am still going to Paris but after the last couple of days of thinking about everything.....I think (haven't made a final decision yet) but I am thinking about changing lines. After all the postings, some of you may be saying, WHAT? LOL.....well, I have heard very good things about Tauck but I loved my Uniworld cruise and they have an 8 night cruise (Tauck's is 9 nights) and the Tauck cruise is twice the price😮.  That seems like ALOT of $$$$ to me......I have some time to think about it but just wanted to let you know since everyone was so forthcoming on what to do, where to stay, etc.   Just not sure if paying so much extra for one extra night is worth it to me.

Will let you know what happens🙂

• Like 5

I will be going on Taucks RIver Cruise Rendezvous on the Seine (Ms Sapphire) Paris to Normandy on August 27.  Does anyone have a daily itinerary they gave out the first day with times each day for the daily activities.  Thanks Alan

shulmanac@gmail.com

I wouldn’t say Tauck is 100% better than Uniworld at all.  We prefer Tauck but would always consider itinerary first when everything else is pretty similar.  I will say that Tauck really does go the extra mile service-wise and I much prefer the more contemporary and comfortable decor.

• Like 1

On a new search now.....AMA or Uniworld LOL..... 

I realize we are all different but in my brain, I couldn't justify paying twice the price....call me frugal if you want.......that part of me comes from a Dad who was raised during the depression (he is no longer here) but he is with me all the time. I know I am very lucky to be able to cruise as much as I do and am very grateful for it all but I do have to look at the cost too........it is a factor for me. 

• Like 4

And now after going through some of my previous bookings/cancellations, I forgot this, but I have a credit of 200.00 from AMA Waterways going  back to early 2022😧I totally forgot about it. I must be having a Sr moment🤔

I will now look at AMA's Paris sailings too..........oh, I have sailed with both AMA and Uniworld before and both were terrrific😀

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

I’d look at the included excursions. Does Tauck offer exclusive excursions that Uniworld doesn’t? Specifically in Paris. 

Possibly.  You’d really have to compare the day by day.  Tauck quite often will have insider-access type activities and they always have a special dinner or event with entertainment off-ship.  I will say the quality of the excursions at Tauck seems much better than at Uniworld with smaller groups, smaller bus loads and a little more “hand holding” if you need it.  There are also usually multiple ports where you’ll have a choice of excursion and the groups are also divided by walking speed.  You also have the option to just take a map and DIY.

Hi @Lois R- we are taking this cruise with Uniworld this spring. I looked into several different cruise lines and felt that was the best fit (I have traveled with Uniworld previously). 

As far as Paris recommendations go, I think this may be my 6th visit? It is such a wonderful city. There is no wrong itinerary! If you want to see the Louvre, it is very easy to see the "big 3" in a short time (there are signs which help you do this) and then move on to another wing or another museum entirely. The Musee d'Orsay and the Orangerie are wonderful and I am also a big fan of the Rodin and Cluny museums. Booking ahead does help you skip the line (if you are visiting several attractions, the museum pass may be a good buy and also lets you skip the line). But whatever you do, it will be wonderful!

I will not recommend where we have stayed recently as they are not particularly budget friendly. But we once stayed at the Waldorf Madeleine and thought it was a well located boutique hotel- it has been awhile but I would recommend it. I also heard good things from a friend about the Hotel Verneuil and another friend recommended the Hotel des Grands Boulevards. 

• Like 1