New Wine Allotment - 1 Bottle per Adult

Maybe I am wrong, but I think where RCL is going with this one bottle per guest approach - some couples (I have NO IDEA who THAT couple MIGHT be) would put two bottles of wine in each other's carry-on. They would go through two separate security lines, being separate...if a question arose, they'd say, "these are our two bottles per cabin" and they'd carry off to the ship smartly. See, THIS way, they'd confiscate one bottle, but you'd get it back by cruise end.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

Signs do not mean they enforce it......

Oh so true.  Usually, things are not enforced because of many factors.  Lazy employees, untrained employees, and/or weak leadership.  Possibly other factors, too.  However, if I have a 75% chance of skirting around a rule/regulation/policy/whatever, I don't want to be within the 25% of people that do get caught, get embarrassed, and/or inconvenienced.  AND, I'd like to think that I have more integrity than that.  It's just toooooooo easy to follow the rules.  No, I'm not claiming a moral superiority over anybody else, it's just my upbringing and my convictions.

• Like 2

On 3/1/2023 at 4:37 PM, Merion_Mom said:

I disagree.  It's straightening out the argument about "how many per cabin".  Now it's more straightforward:  one per person.

And they have always disallowed open bottles and cups of any kind.  I witnessed this in Cape Liberty four days ago.  They made my grandson throw out his partially consumed bottle of chocolate milk.  (and several other people in line)

I used to always carry my water bottle or 2 on board...  with WATER in them and was never questioned. We all had to dump or drink the water this time. I haven't cruised since 2019, but it wasn't an issue then. I was surprised.

• Like 2

I'm amazed at how many people bring their own wine on board and/or are griping about this.  We never did previously and just figured paying for wine as part of our plan or separately was part of the vacation.  nbd  Since we're normally flying in from somewhere, bringing breakable bottles would be a pain in the neck.  

1 minute ago, gail-s said:

I'm amazed at how many people bring their own wine on board and/or are griping about this.  We never did previously and just figured paying for wine as part of our plan or separately was part of the vacation.  nbd  Since we're normally flying in from somewhere, bringing breakable bottles would be a pain in the neck.  

For us we are driving, so bringing the wine onboard is nbd. I'll only have to take care of it from the car to when the cabin opens.  

Even without the wine, we'll have a 12-pack of Diet DP for DH, a cooler for DD's medicine, plus our electronics, swim suit etc. for two adults and two teens.  So, we'll have a lot of carry-on regardless.  Then you add in that I don't expect them to have the champagne I'd want.  I figure it is my vacation and if I have precisely what I want within the rules, I'll go for it.  

• Like 3

Two bottles worked perfectly for me when cruising solo. Just almost enough to have wine for every dinner on a 7 night cruise. So this is a minor inconvenience as I will have to purchase wine for a few dinners. But being Diamond I get 50% off a couple of wine glasses, so indeed it's a minor change.

Edited by nferr

2 hours ago, gail-s said:

For those of us driving to port, bringing wine is much easier.  We have a wider selection of wine locally than Royal Caribbean offers on the wine list.  Furthermore, Royal has had some difficulty keeping listed wines in stock in the last couple years.  Bringing our own assures we will be able to enjoy some favored wines.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, gail-s said:

I'm amazed you would gripe about people griping.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

We will have 7 in our party, 4 have DBP, 1 of the other 3 does not drink wine plus 8 Diamond vouchers.  So that’s 3 1/2 bottles each for the non DBP wine drinkers, enough for a couple glasses a night at dinner.  

On 3/3/2023 at 9:22 AM, teacherman said:

... So, the big decision is after spending thousands of dollars to take this cruise, am I going to agonize over paying maybe $22 above retail for a bottle of wine?   Or am I going to let the ship buy it, bring it onboard, uncork it, and serve it to me?  And not be concerned with taking it onboard in my carry-on?

Oh, well.  Never think about prices too much when you are on vacation.  Just go and enjoy yourself.😇

I don't mind bringing my own bottle of wine onboard.  That $22 difference is a couple drinks or a taxi to the beach.  I'm carrying a backpack anyway, and it's not a difficulty for me; someday when I'm old, it might be more difficult.  

Sure I may've paid thousands for the cruise ticket ... but why does that mean I should not be frugal with my other spending?  The less I spend on things I CAN get for less, the more money I keep or can spend on other things.  I didn't go from being a free lunch kid to a wealthy early retiree by spending when I could save!  

On 3/3/2023 at 10:25 PM, iuki said:

Although they mentioned B2B allows 2 bottles pp when boarding the first sailing, I noticed there was no mention of longer cruises, e.g., an 18-night or 21-night cruise.  So, it’s apparently 1 bottle pp per “sailing”.  Correct?

Yes, and this makes no sense.  1 bottle for a three-night ... 1 bottle for a seven-night ... 1 bottle for a 21 night.  But 2 bottles for two B2B seven-nights.  It's not at all equal.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, HappyTexan44 said:

For us we are driving, so bringing the wine onboard is nbd. I'll only have to take care of it from the car to when the cabin opens.  

Even without the wine, we'll have a 12-pack of Diet DP for DH, a cooler for DD's medicine, plus our electronics, swim suit etc. for two adults and two teens.  So, we'll have a lot of carry-on regardless.  Then you add in that I don't expect them to have the champagne I'd want.  I figure it is my vacation and if I have precisely what I want within the rules, I'll go for it.  

Been carrying on Diet Mt Dew for 3 Decades myself. Few times at check in they were even counting my 12 16.9oz bottles and other's in line that had Wine. One Couple had 4 Bottles, they threw 2 away before getting done with Security and Boarding. Not always but did happen at least once in Boston, Tampa, Ft Lauderdale.

Edited by ONECRUISER

On 3/2/2023 at 1:06 AM, Merion_Mom said:

You know until recently, NO wine was permitted to be brought on board.

How quickly people forget.

I’m guessing there were a lot more rum runners back then. 🤷🏼‍♀️

On 3/2/2023 at 7:55 AM, icsys said:

Let's also hope they don't hike the per-bottle price of wine to offset the discounts  😇

They probably will with their dynamic pricing. 🙄

On 3/5/2023 at 7:16 AM, BND said:

That's what I told DH.  One per person over 21 is completely enforceable.  2 per cabin, not so much unless you are the only adult.  We don't bother to carry on anymore as we're D+ with almost 600 points so on cruises longer than 6 days we can get 3 bottles of wine from C&A, but we never took more than two total.

It has to be 7 nights for the 3 bottles with over 525 points.

On 3/8/2023 at 3:38 AM, ONECRUISER said:

I paid $9 each for 5 Nite Royal Cruise once. Port was $50ea for total $118 for 2 of us... Oh we're talking about Bottles Wine? Nobody in my Family Drinks, oh well...

9-11 was so long ago so can’t even compare to todays prices. Covid pricing was at least recent.

12 hours ago, gail-s said:

8 hours ago, sjinnj said:

I'm amazed you would gripe about people griping.  

👍🏼

17 hours ago, gail-s said:

For me it's not about saving money, it's about having better wine than you can get on the ship. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ARandomTraveler said:

For me it's not about saving money, it's about having better wine than you can get on the ship. 

Okay, that makes sense to me.  And the other comment about driving and being able to do the same. We're in the Northeast so with the exception of Boston to Bermuda, there aren't many cruises that leave out of here.  And when we did that, I think you could bring wine on but you had to pay a corkage fee so we never bothered.  Most of our rooms came with the unlimited drink package anyway so I just grabbed a drink at the bar.  Our next cruise we'll be flying in again, so maybe we'll pick up a bottle each in Barcelona before we get on.  We'll see.  It's not a deal breaker for us.  I remember years ago the big topic of discussion around here was how to sneak booze onto the ships.  It always seemed like way too much work and stress for me.  🤷‍♀️ but that's my own opinion and everyone is entitled to their own.  We were talking about bringing wine home with us after the trip, we've done that when visiting France but not on a cruise.  I guess I'll figure that part out as I go.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

9-11 was so long ago so can’t even compare to todays prices. Covid pricing was at least recent.

People forget Ships were just as empty after 9/11 as 2021 startup and prices were cheaper then. But most longer Cruises that I have Booked this yr and in 2024 are reasonable compared to pre-CV and are even cheaper then what were in 2017-2018

Edited by ONECRUISER

Galveston 3/19/23 Allure sailing. I didn’t see any signage about the new wine policy. The old 2 bottle per cabin policy was still being allowed. This of course may change with next week’s sailing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1