New air option...

jazznruby

Received this today from my very good, well connected TA when I asked about the new air deviation fee. But rather than 'custom air', it looks like all they're offering is the option of going early/staying later (up to 3 days) at no additional cost, instead of same day as embarkation/disembarkation.

The new rate begins today for all bookings no matter when you booked.

There is another option at no cost that Oceania just added to their air program.  You can request custom air and  arrive up to 3 days early and depart up to 3 days after disembarkation. With this option, you cannot request specific airlines, flights, the time you would like to arrive and depart or early ticketing.  You will not be able to request an air arrival at a different port from the embarkation or disembarkation port.  You would have to accept the air Oceania gives to you.  This has to be requested outside of 90 days prior to the sailing.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jazznruby said:

Received this today from my very good, well connected TA when I asked about the new air deviation fee. But rather than 'custom air', it looks like all they're offering is the option of going early/staying later (up to 3 days) at no additional cost, instead of same day as embarkation/disembarkation.

There is another option at no cost that Oceania just added to their air program.  You can request custom air and  arrive up to 3 days early and depart up to 3 days after disembarkation. With this option, you cannot request specific airlines, flights, the time you would like to arrive and depart or early ticketing.  You will not be able to request an air arrival at a different port from the embarkation or disembarkation port.  You would have to accept the air Oceania gives to you.  This has to be requested outside of 90 days prior to the sailing.

True, except that O's website doesn't mention anything about arriving or departing 3 days before or after the cruise.  Also, no mention of the 90 days before sailing.

1 hour ago, jazznruby said:

That is not custom air if you cannot select the preferred carriers or flight  times

So what is the  higher deviation fee for if these options are no additional cost ??

Agreed, that it's not 'custom'. As I understand it, the only free option with this new policy is the 3 day change from having to go and depart on the same day as embarkation/disembarkation, as before. The higher deviation fee allows for true 'custom' air, as before.

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

I am not seeing where you can fly in early or stay longer   but it is  a good plan the way the flights are these days

All I can find on O website  is

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/air

If someone has the  blurb about flying in with no charge  earlier can you post a link thank you

Lyn, it's our mutual TA who gave me the info. I'll check with her tomorrow to see if she can enlighten us further. Sometimes she knows such things before they're posted on the site, no?

• Thanks 1

So I just talked with my TA regarding O's new policy. It's exactly as I initially thought. The ONLY thing that's changed is now having the ability to fly in/out up to 3 days before/after the cruise at no additional cost. O sends you the itinerary, flights, times, etc., just as it's always been, except that it was for day of departure and day of disembarkation only. Choosing your own itinerary, flights, times, etc. still means air deviation at $199/pp. She didn't know if/when it was going to be on the O site, only that she knew about the change, and wanted to share it with me. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, jazznruby said:

So I just talked with my TA regarding O's new policy. It's exactly as I initially thought. The ONLY thing that's changed is now having the ability to fly in/out up to 3 days before/after the cruise at no additional cost. O sends you the itinerary, flights, times, etc., just as it's always been, except that it was for day of departure and day of disembarkation only. Choosing your own itinerary, flights, times, etc. still means air deviation at $199/pp. She didn't know if/when it was going to be on the O site, only that she knew about the change, and wanted to share it with me. 

Hi Ruby as usual she is correct..

Jancruz1

• Like 1

Ditto Jan, 

Sometimes we can all benefit a lot by not hitting the keyboard and CC when we have no real factual information, just supposition and expounding on opinions. I have found it really does not matter where a person is in any organization, no one knows everything, even if you are the President of the company, unless of course it is a one person company 🤪👍 

The one thing about our world of Breaking News and instant internet information, it promotes a lot of misinformation. JMHO

For those of us who use Oceania Air, I think it is an outstanding policy change. 
Mauibabes

• Thanks 1

If true, Kudos to O, just wish it had happened sooner.

We have been suggesting this on our end of cruise surveys since 2013.  We have always flow in a few days earlier to ensure we get there on time to the ship before it leaves.  Doing so allows for a stress-free time before flying as we don't have to worried about weather or short layovers.

9 hours ago, mauibabes said:

For those of us who use Oceania Air, I think it is an outstanding policy change. 
Mauibabes

Agree….also good for O. On our August 2022 cruise out of Rome, 42 people with O air didn’t make the ship and when they caught up with ship at next port, many had no luggage. Big expense for O.  They’re quite aware of cancelled flights and strikes and now probably would prefer passengers arrange flights 1-3 days early. 

• Like 3

Let’s remember than the Air Dept is a profit center for O. If this change in policy drastically increases the number of guests utilizing O’s Air, it will obviously more than offset the loss of the $175 deviation fee. 

no I think we have it....

great that there will be no charge to go in early to ensure making the ship....

and also great that those with loyalty will still have their choices without charge....

yes until things change....