Photographers onboard

On 3/3/2023 at 4:51 AM, NevadaCruiser2023 said:

Just found the post again. It was posted by a passenger on the Eclipse and it was posted about 8 hours ago (around midnight PST). The ship is currently off the coast of Australia, so about 2000 hrs. local time yesterday.

I am on Ovation now.  A Photographer was taking pictures of people standing in front of a large backdrop of the ship, in one of the lobbies on embarkation day (yesterday).  So Royal has not eliminated photographers.

Edited by cruisestitch

4 hours ago, Pickels said:

Just got off the Reflection; no more photography like it was before.

No more welcome aboard photo, no more pictures when you get off at a port, no more pictures at dinner, (which some people objected to), no setups throughout the ship.  They did have ONE setup with a green screen, during a particular time slot.  Even if you bought a photo package, THERE ARE NO MORE PRINTS;  they are not printing photos anymore. When we went to the photography unit, all the walls were bare except for those who went to the photography studio, (those up there may have been from prior cruises).  So, you want photos, take your phone and have fun ! 

And in true Celebrity IT fashion, this is the email I received today for my cruise in the Reflection in 3 weeks, and there haven't been any packages in the Cruise Planner for months.

image.thumb.png.10595349a77b719a510d843c269e6f14.png

Andy.

• Haha 1

We were on the Apex two months ago,  and I also noticed fewer photo opportunities.  We used to enjoy taking a photo package, no longer.  The photographers seemed bored and took the same old pictures. With such good camera's on phones, guess getting obsolete.

• 11 months later...

One of my favorite photos on our honeymoon cruise 11 years ago was taken of my husband at sail away from Labadee.  He looked so incredibly happy and very sexy.  It’s the very candid shots as opposed to staged “portraits” that made those photos great.

just off ASCENT..You could take photos at port stops and at a few set stations each night..Some green screen, some near stairs etc..

The photography dept was very helpful.  We  selected around  10  8× 10s.. plus they threw in a sep pic of the ship and we bought  a beautiful portfolio album.  Had the E + discount.. 

They also loaded the images onto my phone as I am tech challenged.  We also bought the Comm coins for ASCENT..which were very nice.

I used to work for a company that did business with on board photo

For the most part the photo dept is using a concessionaire on board - although some lines are still cruise line employees. The fee going to the cruise line was outrageous - 70% was not uncommon - so it really was a volume game for the concessionaire. There was also a base $ amount that was guaranteed to the line.  Very tough to make money. 

The average number of pictures taken per pax was 5 per cruise. Ships are now twice the size (or more) of what they were so 3k pax times 5 pictures each was 15k hanging on a wall making it impossible to find an individual shot of "you". 

at one time photos was a top money maker for the cruise line. Evidently the revenue and space needed was not making the numbers work. 

On the app for Silhouette, there are repeated examples each evening of "Popup Photo Studio" or "Casual Photo Studio" or "Chic Photo Studio".  We summised that instead of having photographers all over the place, you have to visit the studio on deck 4 midship.   When looking at the activity, it doesn't say this activity has a fee like wine tastings and such.