Interesting Wine Corkage Charges By Cruise Lines

mcrcruiser

HAL charges $20 per bottle  at the pier  & use to be $15 per bottle .Max 2 bottles allowed . Celebrity has no corkage fee if you drink it in your state room ; but ,does have corkage fee of $25 if brought  to a dining room 

9 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

HAL charges $20 per bottle  at the pier  & use to be $15 per bottle .Max 2 bottles allowed .

This is either incorrect information or a poorly composed sentence/paragraph(?) (not sure which it is!)

Currently a 'reasonable quantity' of wine may be taken onboard subject to corkage charge.

The 2020 'Know Before You Go' (downloaded in September 2021) still offers one bottle of wine or champagne without corkage (for stateroom consumption) per guest aged over 21 and $18 per bottle subsequently.

Yes, it was $15 previously, but what is the point of this thread?

You select your cruise and are subject to the cruise lines regulations.  If you don't like the regulations then change your cruise line OR use your time machine to go back to when it was the price you liked.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

HAL charges $20 per bottle  at the pier  & use to be $15 per bottle .Max 2 bottles allowed . Celebrity has no corkage fee if you drink it in your state room ; but ,does have corkage fee of $25 if brought  to a dining room 

Ahhh, but if you order a room service snack (to enjoy with your wine) on Celebrity you will now pay $9.95 + 18%.  All Celebrity room service (even the delivery of a pot of coffee) now involves this new fee.  

49 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Ahhh, but if you order a room service snack (to enjoy with your wine) on Celebrity you will now pay $9.95 + 18%.  All Celebrity room service (even the delivery of a pot of coffee) now involves this new fee.  

We have been well aware of the new up charge fee by Celebrity  .No up charge fee for a continental breakfast in the stateroom 

4 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

This is either incorrect information or a poorly composed sentence/paragraph(?) (not sure which it is!)

Currently a 'reasonable quantity' of wine may be taken onboard subject to corkage charge.

The 2020 'Know Before You Go' (downloaded in September 2021) still offers one bottle of wine or champagne without corkage (for stateroom consumption) per guest aged over 21 and $18 per bottle subsequently.

Yes, it was $15 previously, but what is the point of this thread?

You select your cruise and are subject to the cruise lines regulations.  If you don't like the regulations then change your cruise line OR use your time machine to go back to when it was the price you liked.

That is not what has been posted here  on many past posts .We seen CCers post  the $20 port corkage fees & maximum 2 bottles of wine 

8 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

That is not what has been posted here  on many past posts .We seen CCers post  the $20 port corkage fees & maximum 2 bottles of wine 

There is a $20 corkage fee with each bottle brought on board.  Sometimes the corkage fee desk is staffed; sometimes it’s not.

I believe you are confusing the old rules when it comes to “maximum 2 bottles of wine”.  Pre-covid you could bring one bottle per person and pay no corkage if you were consuming it in your room.  There is no across-the-board 2-bottle maximum.  It is as @VMax1700 says; a reasonable quantity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

There is a $20 corkage fee with each bottle brought on board.  Sometimes the corkage fee desk is staffed; sometimes it’s not.

I believe you are confusing the old rules when it comes to “maximum 2 bottles of wine”.  Pre-covid you could bring one bottle per person and pay no corkage if you were consuming it in your room.  There is no across-the-board 2-bottle maximum.  It is as @VMax1700 says; a reasonable quantity.

Interesting then who decides what is reasonable or non reasonable quantities of wine ?  Seems to me that is  too  loosely programed  by HAL  . Perhaps it depends in the mood of the corkage fee desk at the  pier,lol . HAL has become noted for some rather loose  information on their web site 

5 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

Interesting then who decides what is reasonable or non reasonable quantities of wine ?  Seems to me that is  too  loosely programed  by HAL  . Perhaps it depends in the mood of the corkage fee desk at the  pier,lol . HAL has become noted for some rather loose  information on their web site 

Unless you are bringing on numerous cartons of wine for short voyages, I wouldn’t worry about it.  The cruise lines will have their internal guidelines and procedures.  It is not an arbitrary mood-oriented decision.  Not one single passenger has posted about being denied their wine.  If we ever do see a post about it, I imagine the “excess” wine would be stored by HAL and given back at the end of the cruise without incurring a corkage fee.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Unless you are bringing on numerous cartons of wine for short voyages, I wouldn’t worry about it.  The cruise lines will have their internal guidelines and procedures.  It is not an arbitrary mood-oriented decision.  Not one single passenger has posted about being denied their wine.  If we ever do see a post about it, I imagine the “excess” wine would be stored by HAL and given back at the end of the cruise without incurring a corkage fee.

The point I was making is that this is not the only issue people on this board are having with HAL policies. where there is loose policies  there are loose decisions made & it is not only about wine . This business can not be run by the seat of the pants  & be ultimately successful going forward . I wiuld really like to see HAL publish their menus for their ships as a example . Yes I know that menus have been posted here on CC but where does HAL post their menus ?  Candidly that could make us make a decision whether to book or not to book  .so I go back to charge me the hotel rate separately & the food separately  . That way I know what I am getting . imo the cruise lines ultimately will  be going to a ala carte type pricing  in the future  .The ship with in the ship for many cruise lines is just the start

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

The point I was making is that this is not the only issue people on this board are having with HAL policies. where there is loose policies  there are loose decisions made & it is not only about wine . This business can not be run by the seat of the pants  & be ultimately successful going forward . I wiuld really like to see HAL publish their menus for their ships as a example . Yes I know that menus have been posted here on CC but where does HAL post their menus ?  Candidly that could make us make a decision whether to book or not to book  .so I go back to charge me the hotel rate separately & the food separately  . That way I know what I am getting . imo the cruise lines ultimately will  be going to a ala carte type pricing  in the future  .The ship with in the ship for many cruise lines is just the start

I was responding to the point that you made; not the point that you didn’t make.  The title of this thread is Interesting Wine Corkage Charges by Cruise Lines.  Your numerous threads on all the other issues you have should be addressed sufficiently in those threads without moving the goal posts on this one.  If you would like to condense them all into one thread I’m sure we’d all appreciate it.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

I was responding to the point that you made; not the point that you didn’t make.  The title of this thread is Interesting Wine Corkage Charges by Cruise Lines.  Your numerous threads on all the other issues you have should be addressed sufficiently in those threads without moving the goal posts on this one.  If you would like to condense them all into one thread I’m sure we’d all appreciate it.

How do you do that ?

5 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

Not sure i agree with loose policies. HAL like all lines change or modify their polices to meet bussiness needs, not always to what we want, but I assume they try to for a balance outcome.

Yes, I used to take advantage of the two bottle limit with no corkage fee if consumed in our cabin. But I have no problem whit the new policy and it seems fairly clear to me.

FromHAL's FAG page:

Revised Policy effective June 1st, 2021

Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages on board for consumption or any other use except as follows:

Guests may bring Wine and Champagne onboard, however a corkage fee of USD $20.00 (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to each bottle (max 750 ml in volume or less). Limitations apply. Wine brought in quantities deemed to be excessive by the vessel or security will be refused.

Wine purchased during company-sponsored shore excursions that visit local wineries are exempt from the on-board corkage fee (offer limited to one bottle of wine per person).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Stop the insanity.  If you are so desperate to bring wine on board just realize they may / may not limit your bottles at the pier and the price per bottle may or may not be $XXX. 

The corkage charge per bottle is a minuscule percentage of your overall cruise cost. If the corkage fee is a determining factor for you, then find another cruise line which you feel has a policy that better suits your needs, find an alternative vacation option, or stay at home and drink your wine. Harsh words perhaps but really sometimes people just need the options spelled out. Nobody is forcing you to 1) Go on a cruise 2) Go with this cruise line or 3) Bring a bottle of wine for which you do not wish to pay corkage on.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, RD64 said:

Stop the insanity.  If you are so desperate to bring wine on board just realize they may / may not limit your bottles at the pier and the price per bottle may or may not be $XXX. 

The corkage charge per bottle is a minuscule percentage of your overall cruise cost. If the corkage fee is a determining factor for you, then find another cruise line which you feel has a policy that better suits your needs, find an alternative vacation option, or stay at home and drink your wine. Harsh words perhaps but really sometimes people just need the options spelled out. Nobody is forcing you to 1) Go on a cruise 2) Go with this cruise line or 3) Bring a bottle of wine for which you do not wish to pay corkage on.

It is not only about wine corkage fees ;which we agree is  a minor amount of money , what this is all about is how HAL words or doesn't word policies to make it very clear ,so that these discussions would never exist . 

We have seen on these cruise threads many items discussed  to clear up the fog which cruise lines can & do create . We as pax also create  fog ,at times . It is human to  make mistakes 

• Haha 1

I wrote this in another thread before finding this one:

-----

We were on a Singapore to Singapore cruise to Thailand and Malaysia on the Westerdam Feb 3-14.  We brought two bottles of red wine and two of white with us.  One of the bottles of white was in our carryon and the other three were in our "checked" luggage.  When we got to the carryon x-ray machine we let the person running it know we had a bon voyage bottle in our carryon and that we'd have have to pay corkage for it.  They said don't worry about it.  We also never got charged for the other three bottles.

-----

However we were prepared to pay the corkage if need be.  The prices they charge for wine onboard are ridiculous compared to what a bottle costs here in California.  It's worth it to us to bring wine we know we will enjoy and pay the $20 because it will cost the same or less than what we can get onboard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What is procedure to bring wine on board?  I assume we would want to bring in carry on and not risk a wine-soaked checked bag.  So do you just mention as you approach scanner and then get sent to a desk to pay or get lucky and get waived through?

On 3/5/2023 at 4:12 AM, sandiego1 said:

The policy is very clear and is listed above. What IS confusing is people who misquote the policy or list OLD information such as 2 bottles allowed.

I had questions re: upcoming HAL cruise and once those questions were answered I asked about the "alcohol" policy.  She read the HAL policy to me.  🙂  She came to the conclusion that wine is not alcohol and 1,  750 ml bottle of wine or champagne is allowed per quest subject to a $20 corkage fee.  However, she said "hmmm" I wonder if screw caps are subject to a corkage fee.  

On 3/5/2023 at 4:12 AM, sandiego1 said:

The policy is very clear and is listed above. What IS confusing is people who misquote the policy or list OLD information such as 2 bottles allowed.

They are allowed.  Wine or champagne .

How strict do you think they are on the definition of "wine"? I have considered bringing a bottle of Framboise, which technically isn't wine, but is in a wine bottle. I'm thinking it would be fine.

Lindemans Framboise Lambic (Belgium) 12oz

3 hours ago, Hllb said:

How strict do you think they are on the definition of "wine"?

The definition of 'wine' is irrelevant when the product in question is 'beer'.

2.5%ABV

Beer is not permitted to be taken onboard.

58 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

The definition of 'wine' is irrelevant when the product in question is 'beer'.

2.5%ABV

Beer is not permitted to be taken onboard.

It's not beer though - it's something different, and comes in a wine bottle. 

13 minutes ago, Hllb said:

Since it's written right on the bottle label "RASBERRY LAMBIC BEER"...  I think you might have difficulties convincing them it's not beer...  😀

Edited by gregma60

7 minutes ago, gregma60 said:

Since it's written right on the bottle label "RASBERRY LAMBIC BEER"...  I think you might have difficulties convincing them it's not beer...  😀

Fair. I didn't know how closely they'd look at the bottle - it's a wine bottle with a cork LOL

33 minutes ago, Hllb said:

It is not an acceptable wine bottle either.  Wine/Champagne bottles are 750 ml. A half bottle of wine is 375 ml.  The label shows Beer and 355ml - that's two strikes 😉