On odyssey now. Some observations

On 3/4/2023 at 10:14 AM, not-enough-cruising said:

We bring our own TP from home; game changer

Pay a few thousand to go on a cruise and have to bring your own TP and others saying bring your won soap, shampoo and conditioner????  WHAT has cruising become?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, OBX-Cruisers said:

Pay a few thousand to go on a cruise and have to bring your own TP and others saying bring your won soap, shampoo and conditioner????  WHAT has cruising become?

I have never brought on my own toilet paper.  It wouldn't even occur to me to do that.

I bring my own shampoo because, like many others, mostly female, I am very picky about what I do to my hair.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Zero service? I've done than than a few cruises on RCI. I've been quite happy with the service.

No waiters walking around most of the time and the ones that do just pay zero attention. Massive groups of people at every bar trying to get a drink because there is little to no table service by the pool or most of the bars. 

On Wonder the waiter told everyone to hold off on the drinks order because the Tepenyaki chef was waiting to get started and he didnt want to delay him so we all had to wait for the usual song and dance routine to finish before we could get a drink. We all sat in disbelief... 

The reason its hard to pinpoint a problem with a cruise line is because its inconsistent between ships. 

Zero service for me is the service above the most basic level of service expected so to answer the smart arse about the towels and trash that is what i consider to be zero service. Passing a bottle from the fridge to the bar is not service. Taking my drink order at the sunbed and bringing me a cocktail that is well made is service. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The sea calls my name said:

That will be easier for you next year when she begins sailing from Cape Liberty next Nov.

For how long? I'm looking at February from Ft. Lauderdale.

Oh wait, did you mean Nov 2024?

5 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

For how long? I'm looking at February from Ft. Lauderdale.

Oh wait, did you mean Nov 2024?

Yes., so you will have to wait a while. that s the bad news but the good news is she is going to be sailing  from Nov of 2024 thru  April  of 2025 where the deployment schedule ends.

Edited by The sea calls my name

24 minutes ago, The sea calls my name said:

Yes., so you will have to wait a while. that s the bad news but the good news is she is going to be sailing  from Nov of 2024 thru  April  of 2025 where the deployment schedule ends.

I'll be curious to see how she's received after a couple of 7 day winter cruises.

47 minutes ago, The sea calls my name said:

Would you mind letting me know if the deck 5 smoking area is on the port side or if it has moved to starboard?

I was on Odyssey last week and the deck 5 smoking area was port side outside and just forward of Giovanni's.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The sea calls my name said:

Would you mind letting me know if the deck 5 smoking area is on the port side or if it has moved to starboard?

I really think the misunderstanding come from people thinking the smoking area will be on the same side on sister ships.  Per the app, I can see the smoking areas are starboard deck 5 on Quantum and Anthem, for example, so some posters on CruiseCritic or other social media who had sailed those ships might have erroneously assumed it would also be starboard on Odyssey.  Still, both the current app and recent cruisers report smoking is port side deck 5 on Odyssey. 

I think your starboard balcony should get more sun on the eastbound TA; I hope you enjoy it😀

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

I'll be curious to see how she's received after a couple of 7 day winter cruises.

Yes, but isn't it  just replacing Oasis? I guess after Oasis gets her "face lift" next spring she will return to sunny Florida and the Odyssey will go north. At least the Odyssey has a climate controlled and enclosed Solarium. 

2 minutes ago, The sea calls my name said:

Yes, but isn't it  just replacing Oasis? I guess after Oasis gets her "face lift" next spring she will return to sunny Florida and the Odyssey will go north. At least the Odyssey has a climate controlled and enclosed Solarium. 

I think it's replacing Anthem which has two enclosed pools.

That's too bad someone rude told you talk in English.  Maybe they thought you were talking about them.  😆

Yes, kids do splash in the pool.  I don't like splashing, but I understand it.  I did ask a kid not to splash when it was continuous/on purpose splashing and not splashing due to swimming, etc.  I certainly wouldn't hit anyone!

The asking for feedback is probably mandatory for employees.  On the one hand, they would be interrupting my meal, but on the other hand, if there is a problem, it would be a good time to tell them.  People need to be honest and not just say 10.  Otherwise, things won't improve.

That's too bad about people smoking.

Maybe give kid a washcloth so shampoo doesn't get in their eyes or use your own.  I do bring my own shampoo/conditioner.

I hope you still had a good time!

19 hours ago, LPut714 said:

Hopefully your TP doesn't plug up the pipes. Single ply is for marine toilets.

“Regular” toilet tissue from home makes no difference in the vacuum toilet systems on a cruise ship. The paper breaks down in much the same way as the cheap stuff.

@chengkp75can confirm. 

One week later we were on Quantum, all food venues were serving the worst food we have ever had on any cruise, with the exception of Specialties. Wife actually lost two pounds over the 10 nights on Quantum.  Wish I had a picture of the carved Turkey being served in the Windjammer, the server was pulling it apart by hand, absolutely gross.  However the bar tenders in Vintages were some of the happiest crew on the ship, I had several Negronis every night and my wife fell in love with the Cucumber Elderflower Martinis. 

Just now, shofer said:

Food can vary so much ship by ship.  In 2015 we were on Vision and ALL the food was bad, except for Chops.  We actually lost weight!  On the survey we rated the food in the MDR/Windjammer a big, fat 0. Fast forward 2 years and we were back on Vision for a Baltic trip.  The food was great in all venues.  It was a vey nice surprise.

8 hours ago, The sea calls my name said:

Yes, I jus looked it up, you are correct. Oasis is returning back to Ft Lauderdale in Fall 2024. I confused myself on the NE ports. Thanks for the correction.

Basically, Anthem and Oasis will be swapped out for Odyssey and Symphony.  Same classes, newer ships.