Auckland to Sidney or reverse what is preferred direction

Check the itinerary. If you go Auckland to Sydney you will probably go down the east coast of NZ then around to Fiordland entering Milford Sound in the late afternoon, before heading across the Tasman Sea. If coming from Sydney the ship will cross the Tasman Sea and enter Milford Sound in the morning then go around the bottom of the South Island and up the east coast to Auckland. 

Personally I think going into Milford Sound in the afternoon is better as there will be less chance of mists wreathing the mountains and spoiling the spectacular views.

7 hours ago, PasadenaDave said:

We are looking at Viking next December.  What is the preferred direction or does it matter?

Seriously?! Have you looked at a map?! You're at sea the whole time with nothing to see but sea.. lol!

55 minutes ago, Over from NZ said:

Seriously?! Have you looked at a map?! You're at sea the whole time with nothing to see but sea.. lol!

🙄🙄🙄

I very much doubt that some one who is coming all the way from the US would be interested in a short cruise that only crosses the Tasman Sea.

Although there are a few exceptions most one way NZ cruises are effectively two cruises joined by a changeover day in Auckland. The first cruise leaves Australia, often after calling into Tasmania, comes across the Tasman to Milford Sound then round the bottom of the South Island and up to Auckland with various port stops along the way. The second cruise reverses the itinerary, going south down the east coast of NZ.

We've done four cruises this way, starting in Auckland. We find it's a great way to catch up with family and friends in NZ, and it's much better to fly over then cruise home to Sydney.

5 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

🙄🙄🙄

I very much doubt that some one who is coming all the way from the US would be interested in a short cruise that only crosses the Tasman Sea.

Although there are a few exceptions most one way NZ cruises are effectively two cruises joined by a changeover day in Auckland. The first cruise leaves Australia, often after calling into Tasmania, comes across the Tasman to Milford Sound then round the bottom of the South Island and up to Auckland with various port stops along the way. The second cruise reverses the itinerary, going south down the east coast of NZ.

We've done four cruises this way, starting in Auckland. We find it's a great way to catch up with family and friends in NZ, and it's much better to fly over then cruise home to Sydney.

Long-story-short.. it's really irrelevant which way you cross the Tasman.. 🙂 

It depends on your overall time that you have away from US. You could do either a land trip from Auckland or Sydney coming or going or both and what else you want to see in Australia or new Zealand. The time of year may make a difference as well. Auckland to Sydney in 2023 lands you in Sydney at the peak of our holiday period where everything will be expensive and extremely busy outside of the city. The other consideration is that the cruise seems to be cheaper Auckland to Sydney than visa versa.

Not sure what OP means exactly but cruising over Christmas or not, timing and choices for air flights, hotel arrangements would all be a consideration, too. If it were me, with  R/T air so far, I would do both and have a very Merry Christmas :)

Edited by SilvertoGold

I guess that I am the Ocean Pacific as someone referred to me as the OP.  I really enjoyed Ocean Pacific shorts, made of corduroy.

We like the over Christmas itinerary and expense or crowds early January are not an issue as we would not extend the trip.  Arriving one day early and staying one extra day is enough given the length of the cruise as we really don’t like being away longer than three weeks.

We do enjoy days at sea and have done Hawaii round trip from San Pedro.

• Like 1

I always prefer to cruise towards home, so will always plum for Auckland to Sydney. I can handle longhaul flights when we are going away, but loath them coming home. While you are still a long way from home, a return flight home from Auckland is a couple of hours shorter than from Sydney.

2 hours ago, PasadenaDave said:

I guess that I am the Ocean Pacific as someone referred to me as the OP.  I really enjoyed Ocean Pacific shorts, made of corduroy.

We like the over Christmas itinerary and expense or crowds early January are not an issue as we would not extend the trip.  Arriving one day early and staying one extra day is enough given the length of the cruise as we really don’t like being away longer than three weeks.

We do enjoy days at sea and have done Hawaii round trip from San Pedro.

OP is "original poster".  Sorry about that!