Formal night

yutje

13 minutes ago, dawntrdr said:

I believe that MO230704010 means Moon (MO) 2023 (23) July 4 (0704) for ten days (010).  That's a Reykjavik round trip.

Yup, that does pin it down as you've stated.

My guess for the first formal night will be on the second night in Isafjordur. The second one is anyones guess.

Mine have just appeared about a month before my next sailing. If you look in my silversea on a PC, Click on activities of your booking, Find the display that has a week or so of dates and formal nights will be represented as a black bow tie.

• Like 2

If you go to My Silversea account under the booking, go to activities tab.  You should see the daily calendar.  There is a bowtie shown at the top of each day that has formal night.  In our case day 4 and 7 on Norway cruise. 

Sorry Les, did not see your response before pressing send button.  

Edited by Luv2Cruise1016

On 3/6/2023 at 5:20 PM, A Tucson Guy said:

On my last two cruises last year, the bow ties never showed up. I think it is a mixed bag.

it’s crazy that the significance of why it needs to be there is lost. It doesn’t matter the day as such, but it does when paired with your other restaurant (and even excursions if it’s going to be a late night!) 

When an unscheduled set of formal nights get overlayed on your planned restaurants, it’s probable that the bookings you cancel to participate in the MDR / Atlantide, can’t be replaced.

There is no excuse in my mind why this information isn’t available earlier. It never used to be a problem!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, les37b said:

There is no excuse in my mind why this information isn’t available earlier. It never used to be a problem!

There is no excuse in my mind why the information needs to be there at all.

It never used to be a problem because we all just embarked, read the welcome letter in our suite, visited with the maître d' to make a reservation or two, and went about enjoying our vacation.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

It never used to be a problem because we all just embarked, read the welcome letter in our suite, visited with the maître d' to make a reservation or two, and went about enjoying our vacation.

When was your last visit with the Maitre'd, last cruise with Silversea?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Do you never pre book any reservations?

Each to their own. It never used to be a problem because the formal night details were published. That’s changed.

On the 2 cruises I have in a couple of days and next month, both have just had formal night added which introduces clashes. We’d prefer to attend in Atlantic. Unfortunately the bookings in Kaiseki and Silver Note cannot be replaced on any other night because they are now fully booked every night for the whole cruise. So that late advise means we have a choice on which we’d prefer to miss. Yes I know we could attend formal night in those venues, just as we could in the grill of pizza place. We’d just rather not.

Reservations for activities are there for a reason.

1 hour ago, Mahogany said:

When was your last visit with the Maitre'd, last cruise with Silversea?

I visit with them every voyage.  But, the last time to make a reservation was before the current request system was out in place, pre-Muse. I assume that is what your question was referencing.

6 minutes ago, les37b said:

It never used to be a problem because the formal night details were published. That’s changed.

Not true, Les.  Maybe for your voyages, but not for all voyages.  In fact, for years before the current online system, they were never listed until one was on board.

8 minutes ago, les37b said:

Reservations for activities are there for a reason.

Of course.  My comment on your post was specific to the topic you were referring too; dining.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stumblefoot said:

Not true, Les.  Maybe for your voyages, but not for all voyages.  In fact, for years before the current online system, they were never listed until one was on board.

Of course.  My comment on your post was specific to the topic you were referring too; dining.

Ive made reservations for dining on every voyage Ive been on. True on Silver Cloud and Wind, only La Terrazza and La Champagne / La Dame were bookable. Funnily on a voyage in 2016 I even posted my disappointment that 120 days out when reservations were open, that I missed out on being able to book La Champagne on our overnight in Monaco as it was shown as wait listed. In the end, it turned out it was because Manfredi had booked the venue to entertain Prince Albert and a few racing drivers.

My South America voyage last year, formal nights were shown at the same time bookings were available 120 days out.

The two coming up is the first time formal nights have not been shown, but just like always, restaurant reservations were open on 120 days to sailing.

Ive no idea why your voyages didn’t have bookings available, but 100% of mine have.

I know I prefer to know ahead of time when the formal nights are because we don’t always participate, so not knowing when they will occur leaves us booking many nights in La Terraza to make sure we at least have an indoor venue to go to if they schedule a formal night that evening . I don’t like tying up reservation space at La Terraza , unnecessarily. I’m certainly not going to La Terraza every night and the Grill is only good when the outdoor temperatures are moderate or there is no inclement weather. 

I try to guess when the formal nights will be so I don’t have to book too many nights (2nd night and 2nd to last night or a sometimes a day at sea ) however, this upcoming cruise I guessed the wrong dates, but luckily was able to make the changes and add La Terraza on those formal nights and reschedule the other nights for silver note and the grill.

in the end it worked out, but based on some of the earlier examples sometimes people are disappointed. 

I m in the camp of  having the notice long before boarding , not after. 

Edited by bobolz
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, les37b said:

it’s crazy that the significance of why it needs to be there is lost. It doesn’t matter the day as such, but it does when paired with your other restaurant (and even excursions if it’s going to be a late night!) 

When an unscheduled set of formal nights get overlayed on your planned restaurants, it’s probable that the bookings you cancel to participate in the MDR / Atlantide, can’t be replaced.

I’m curious. You wrote “to participate in the MDR/Atlantide” Does that venue have an extra special menu on “formal” nights? I never took notice.  

25 minutes ago, Sunny429 said:

I’m curious. You wrote “to participate in the MDR/Atlantide” Does that venue have an extra special menu on “formal” nights? I never took notice.  

It certainly used to. Not so sure now. Just nicer to attended when most may have made the effort to dine in the main venue.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, les37b said:

It certainly used to. Not so sure now. Just nicer to attended when most may have made the effort to dine in the main venue.

Thank you. I will be sure to pay extra attention to the menu in Atlantide on formal nights on our cruise next month. 

I’m starting to think I’m a bit strange because every MDR I’ve ever eaten in, on several cruise lines just takes me back to my Dining Hall at school. I Much prefer the smaller venues. We’ve only had dinner in Atlantide once (we’ve only cruised SS twice) and It was the only meal on SS that I’ve not been impressed with. We had lunch there too one day and that wasn’t my favourite either. I Sailed a different line last year and had 1 meal in the MDR. It was also the only meal of the entire 14nt cruise that I didn’t enjoy. It’s not, I believe, my lack of enthusiasm clouding my judgement, the limousin steak in Atlantide could safely have doubled up to patch any hull damage inflicted by a passing iceberg even after they’d rendered enough fat from it to buy the ship an extra couple of miles in an emergency. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, les37b said:

If I remember correctly, Atlantide followed the evening dress code, while S.A.L.T was one step down.  For example if Formal night, you need a tie in Atlantide but just a jacket (ie informal) in S.A.L.T.   On informal nights, Atlantide was informal & SALT was casual.  This was on the Dawn in Jan this year.

25 minutes ago, mitz18 said:

If I remember correctly, Atlantide followed the evening dress code, while S.A.L.T was one step down.  For example if Formal night, you need a tie in Atlantide but just a jacket (ie informal) in S.A.L.T.   On informal nights, Atlantide was informal & SALT was casual.  This was on the Dawn in Jan this year.

T shirt in Atlantide then topless in SALT

Yes we get it now.