Oasis class vs Navigator of the Seas

Hello, 

We've only sailed in Oasis class before (Oasis twice and Allure once) and we're thinking of going on Navigator of the Seas this time. (We've also done Disney Dream, but that was 4 nights only).

I want to manage my expectations and thought I'd ask you here. 🙂

1. One of the reasons why we were on Oasis class only is because I get seasick. It was the worst when I was on Allures going to Eastern Caribbean, and it was the least when I took Oasis from NJ - perhaps we're close to the shore? We're thinking of Navigator, going to Mexico, leaving from LA in the summer. Would the movement be an issue? where should we get the stateroom? We always have done mid/aft oceanview balcony and worked well. but again, this is a different route, and it is also a smaller ship, so not sure if the same will apply. 

2. When we were on Oasis last year, we were pretty excited to be back as it says she was 'amplified'. Then we learned the cabins are not updated. It clearly was showing the age. Navigator being an older ship, would this be the same case? Is there a particular room/rooms where she'd be more updated? 

3. Kids club - Oasis had a lot of kids - we sailed in last August and the ship was just massive. Will Navigator also have good number of kids? Our daughter wants to make friends (she is 9 y/o). We're also looking at the end of August sail - and was wondering what to expect since most of the California schools will be back.

4. I've heard the show quality is kind of so-so, except for the skating show. We were pretty big on broadway shows that Oasis class had - Hair Spray, Cats, Mamma Mia! -, and I dont know what the Navigator show is about. Is this a child-friendly show? And do they have other shows? - like the Aqua show? 

5. I've also heard that you dont have to book the shows in advance - is that true? What about My Time Dining? 

6. Service and food - I assumed this really varies ship to ship and time of the year, etc. I am okay if service and food is at par with my other cruise experience. Can anyone comment, if you have traveled recently? 
TBH, we did see the service level changed (to worse) last year, but we also had a benefit of the doubt that it is because they just came back from COVID and was hard to predict. I am hoping it will be a slightly better experience though. We normally don't do specialty dining. So our experiences are limited to Windjammer for lunch and MDR for dinner. 

Thank you so much!

7 minutes ago, parkbr said:

I dont know what the Navigator show is about. Is this a child-friendly show? And do they have other shows? - like the Aqua show? 

I doubt they have an Aqua show, because they don't have an aqua theater.

Yes, there will be kids. Other states' schools go back in September.

8 minutes ago, parkbr said:

I've also heard that you dont have to book the shows in advance - is that true? What about My Time Dining? 

only some ships (Oasis and newer) allow advance show reservations. 

Navigator will definitely be even older than Oasis. Heck, even Allure was kind of showing her age last year.

You may want to bring some dramamine with you, since it appears you do have seasickness worse than an average person.

15 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Cabins on decks 11 and 12 are new

But they will be prone to motion. Personally, I like that

You mean the cabins on deck 11 and 12? Or Navigator Mexican route?

6 minutes ago, Denversail said:

It has been several years but the roughest seas that I recall while cruising was doing the Mexican riviera route. 

Oh no! 
Do you know if that is usual thing at all? 
Also, which ones have you traveled? I want the know in comparison. 

11 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I doubt they have an Aqua show, because they don't have an aqua theater.

Yes, there will be kids. Other states' schools go back in September.

only some ships (Oasis and newer) allow advance show reservations. 

Navigator will definitely be even older than Oasis. Heck, even Allure was kind of showing her age last year.

You may want to bring some dramamine with you, since it appears you do have seasickness worse than an average person.

Oh okay. I somehow thought they had an aqua theatre - because I read about the belly contest. 🙂

Yay for kids! 

Yeah, it is a much older ship, but it has been also amplified - so thinking main areas will be okay, but cabins can be quite aged. 

I always take pills when I am on board. Yet, I still got a bit sensitive when I was on Allure. 😞

1 minute ago, parkbr said:

Oh okay. I somehow thought they had an aqua theatre - because I read about the belly contest. 🙂

Yay for kids! 

Yeah, it is a much older ship, but it has been also amplified - so thinking main areas will be okay, but cabins can be quite aged. 

I always take pills when I am on board. Yet, I still got a bit sensitive when I was on Allure. 😞

Where there is a pool there is a contest 🙂  I prefer them on the Voyager class and Freedom class because the top pool deck is so open.  I did just see in my cruise planner for an upcoming Mariner cruise the "acupuncture for sea sickness" booking?  I don't know if it would help at all, just FYI.  I have usually been fine on all size Royal ships except in rough seas where I have to be more careful with what I eat/drink.  I think you'll enjoy the ship and find plenty to do, fingers crossed you fare well!

5 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

Where there is a pool there is a contest 🙂  I prefer them on the Voyager class and Freedom class because the top pool deck is so open.  I did just see in my cruise planner for an upcoming Mariner cruise the "acupuncture for sea sickness" booking?  I don't know if it would help at all, just FYI.  I have usually been fine on all size Royal ships except in rough seas where I have to be more careful with what I eat/drink.  I think you'll enjoy the ship and find plenty to do, fingers crossed you fare well!

Oh I see. So they do it at a pool then. 🙂

Yeah, when I looked at the deck plan, the pool deck reminded me of Oasis class. 🙂
Haha. Acupuncure for sea sickness. lol. Didn't even know such thing existd. 

So I think it's more the sea condition rather than the vessel itself? What was your experience like?
I am just not sure what to expect from that side of the ocean - since I've only done Caribbeans. 

1 minute ago, parkbr said:

Yeah, when I looked at the deck plan, the pool deck reminded me of Oasis class. 🙂

So I think it's more the sea condition rather than the vessel itself? What was your experience like?
I am just not sure what to expect from that side of the ocean - since I've only done Caribbeans. 

I'm better on the Oasis class since they tend to be more stable, but really so many things can impact it - and sometimes ships have to adjust due to system glitches so it's hard to say for certain.  I will say if I've been drinking I fare better BUT that may not be your choice and that's fine.  My oldest (adult) is worse on sea sickness than I am, so while I can usually roll with it, she relies on ginger chews, Dramamine, soda, and bands depending on need. I use peppermint tabs as mint works better for me and I have no sweet tooth so can't do sodas, etc.  I'd suggest a mid-deck, not super low but not super high, and I prefer a balcony because of access to fresh air.  I also do always know where the doors to the decks are, which are much easier to find on this class over the Oasis class, when my brain can see what's happening, and I can get to air, I am much better.  So if I start to feel it in an enclosed space, I'll head to the deck quickly to get an idea of weather/seas and grab some fresh air, then usually it's mind over matter until it passes.

The ship is still very big and depending on winds and weather, Oasis can move more than freedom class from what I’ve read.  I wouldn’t skip this ship due to sea sickness issues.  At a certain size, and navigator is still a huge ship, it’s either gonna bother you or it won’t.  

There will be plenty of stuff for kids and plenty of kids I’m sure.  

People say Allure is old and shows here age.  We’ve sailed on her many times including last year and thought she looked great.  I’m guessing Navigator will be fine too.  Remember, it wasn’t all that long ago this was the largest cruise

ship in the world.  Only compared to Oasis class would it feel “small”.  These ships are basically a slightly smaller version of Freedom class.  Some of our favorite cruises were on both of these class ships.  

9 minutes ago, parkbr said:

If your are talking Pacific, my understanding is it is much more likely to have more motion.  That is why the Caribbean is the most popular.  The calm seas relative to other places adjacent to the US.   

21 minutes ago, topnole said:

The ship is still very big and depending on winds and weather, Oasis can move more than freedom class from what I’ve read.  I wouldn’t skip this ship due to sea sickness issues.  At a certain size, and navigator is still a huge ship, it’s either gonna bother you or it won’t.  

There will be plenty of stuff for kids and plenty of kids I’m sure.  

People say Allure is old and shows here age.  We’ve sailed on her many times including last year and thought she looked great.  I’m guessing Navigator will be fine too.  Remember, it wasn’t all that long ago this was the largest cruise

ship in the world.  Only compared to Oasis class would it feel “small”.  These ships are basically a slightly smaller version of Freedom class.  Some of our favorite cruises were on both of these class ships.  

Yeah, it is just that I am very prone to the motion sickness and I live on pills when I am on a cruise. So I am little concerned about facing a rough sea.

20 minutes ago, topnole said:

If your are talking Pacific, my understanding is it is much more likely to have more motion.  That is why the Caribbean is the most popular.  The calm seas relative to other places adjacent to the US.   

I see. I am now thinking about not doing this at all. 😞

23 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

I'm better on the Oasis class since they tend to be more stable, but really so many things can impact it - and sometimes ships have to adjust due to system glitches so it's hard to say for certain.  I will say if I've been drinking I fare better BUT that may not be your choice and that's fine.  My oldest (adult) is worse on sea sickness than I am, so while I can usually roll with it, she relies on ginger chews, Dramamine, soda, and bands depending on need. I use peppermint tabs as mint works better for me and I have no sweet tooth so can't do sodas, etc.  I'd suggest a mid-deck, not super low but not super high, and I prefer a balcony because of access to fresh air.  I also do always know where the doors to the decks are, which are much easier to find on this class over the Oasis class, when my brain can see what's happening, and I can get to air, I am much better.  So if I start to feel it in an enclosed space, I'll head to the deck quickly to get an idea of weather/seas and grab some fresh air, then usually it's mind over matter until it passes.

Thank you. 
I am very prone to the motion sickness - probably same as your oldest - so I have seabands, ginger chews, ginerale, and take pills twice a day - most days, I am fine with them. But we were told that one of our cruises were also one of the most calm ones. Having reading about Mexican riviera cruise (from other posting) I am now very concerned... 

Oasis class has lots more entertainment, Broadway show , aqua show , comedy club. But I do like the size of the navigator had sailed her 3 times , still lots of entertainment, it does have a ice show , nice pub with normally a guitar layer and nice piano bar, plus shows in main theater .

5 minutes ago, parkbr said:

Yeah, it is just that I am very prone to the motion sickness and I live on pills when I am on a cruise. So I am little concerned about facing a rough sea.

What I’m saying is that navigator will do well.  It’s gonna be the weather and not the ship.  Oasis class is much taller ao winds can impact it more from what I’ve read.   To me it sounds like inclement weather would be a problem for you regardless of oasis class versus voyager class.  I would definitely keep to the Caribbean if I were you.   One option to consider is the port intensive routes out of San Juan.  Way more time in ports so way less chance/time for sea sickness.  Just a thought.  

1 hour ago, Denversail said:

It has been several years but the roughest seas that I recall while cruising was doing the Mexican riviera route. 

Not to be an alarmist (we've only done one Mexican Riveria cruise), but we had the highest/roughest seas by far on that route as well.  

12 minutes ago, parkbr said:

Thank you. 
I am very prone to the motion sickness - probably same as your oldest - so I have seabands, ginger chews, ginerale, and take pills twice a day - most days, I am fine with them. But we were told that one of our cruises were also one of the most calm ones. Having reading about Mexican riviera cruise (from other posting) I am now very concerned... 

Yep, with the reports I'm seeing from your question on the Mexican Riviera being more prone, it's now not on my future plans either. I think you'll find the voyager and freedom classes work well for you.  It did surprise me how I was more aware of motion on the Oasis and Allure over the smaller ships - the height and wind ratio makes sense.

11 minutes ago, George C said:

Oasis class has lots more entertainment, Broadway show , aqua show , comedy club. But I do like the size of the navigator had sailed her 3 times , still lots of entertainment, it does have a ice show , nice pub with normally a guitar layer and nice piano bar, plus shows in main theater .

Thank you. I liked what we saw (Youtube videos, etc), but I am now more concerned about the rough sea now. lol

14 minutes ago, topnole said:

What I’m saying is that navigator will do well.  It’s gonna be the weather and not the ship.  Oasis class is much taller ao winds can impact it more from what I’ve read.   To me it sounds like inclement weather would be a problem for you regardless of oasis class versus voyager class.  I would definitely keep to the Caribbean if I were you.   One option to consider is the port intensive routes out of San Juan.  Way more time in ports so way less chance/time for sea sickness.  Just a thought.  

Thank you. 
Yeah, we thought Navigator seems to be a good ship, but I dont think I can handle pacific ocean. lol. 
I thought I was being smart avoiding Caribbean during the hurricane season, but I guess not! 😉

11 minutes ago, Husky1987 said:

Not to be an alarmist (we've only done one Mexican Riveria cruise), but we had the highest/roughest seas by far on that route as well.  

Thank you. I really appreciate this.

8 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

Yep, with the reports I'm seeing from your question on the Mexican Riviera being more prone, it's now not on my future plans either. I think you'll find the voyager and freedom classes work well for you.  It did surprise me how I was more aware of motion on the Oasis and Allure over the smaller ships - the height and wind ratio makes sense.

I am willing to try smaller ships for sure - but maybe not Mexican Riviera. 😉