Potato chips

shipgeeks

Do you consider potato chips an important part of a meal?  

I've been amused by the amount of recent discussion around the cutbacks on the bags of potato chips on RC.  Apparently too many people were taking so many that they would run out early in the day.  Now they are either with room service only, or by request with a limit of two bags per person. Many comments indicate that a sandwich without a bag of chips is not to be tolerated.

Do you need them on a cruise?

5 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I've been amused by the amount of recent discussion around the cutbacks on the bags of potato chips on RC.  Apparently too many people were taking so many that they would run out early in the day.  Now they are either with room service only, or by request with a limit of two bags per person. Many comments indicate that a sandwich without a bag of chips is not to be tolerated.

Chips are always a welcomed addition to a sandwich.  I don’t understand why they don’t make their own.  Making potato chips would be an easy solution to the RCI chip shortage…unlimited chips for everyone!

1 hour ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Chips are always a welcomed addition to a sandwich.  I don’t understand why they don’t make their own.  Making potato chips would be an easy solution to the RCI chip shortage…unlimited chips for everyone!

Interesting thought.  How do you suppose they would then be served/dispensed?

RC used to put out little boxes of cereal.  Several varieties are now available via clear plastic dispensers, instead.   It's believed this came about after people were seen filling duffel bags with the little cereal boxes, to take home (aargh...)

45 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

RC used to put out little boxes of cereal.  Several varieties are now available via clear plastic dispensers, instead.   It's believed this came about after people were seen filling duffel bags with the little cereal boxes, to take home (aargh...)

The same way they do it at Burger King and McDonalds…salt, scoop and bag them…In open bags served hot.  The technology and kitchen equipment are there and ready to go. I seriously doubt they use frozen French fries!  If they make their own FF then they can easily make chips.

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE

Well. I see we have a terminology misunderstanding!

I am referring to the little bags of potato chips such as Lays/Utz/Pringles, that are now being rationed.

French fries (British chips) are still made and served on the ships.

7 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I am referring to the little bags of potato chips such as Lays/Utz/Pringles, that are now being rationed.

No misunderstanding…I realize you were talking prepackaged chips (not Fr fries) while I’m advocating freshly made chips ( not Fr fries).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/7/2023 at 12:38 PM, shipgeeks said:

... Do you need them on a cruise?

No, I don't 'specially hanker for potato chips; additionally, while on vacation, I'd rather eat things that I can't simply pick up pre-made at the grocery store.  

BUT I can buy into the idea that if a person really loves them, they should be able to calorie-splurge on vacation.  

On 3/7/2023 at 5:43 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

... Making potato chips would be an easy solution to the RCI chip shortage…unlimited chips for everyone!

Homemade potato chips are a fairly labor-intensive item. 

• Like 1

On 3/7/2023 at 12:38 PM, shipgeeks said:

With certain sandwiches chips are a welcome accompaniment. BLT's, Chicken Salad or Tuna is a welcome addition to dish with a pickle or pickle chips.

On 3/7/2023 at 5:43 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I enjoy making homemade PC's at home. Especially with Holidays and Celebrations.

Wouldn't take much for on board fryers.

On 3/7/2023 at 7:17 PM, shipgeeks said:

Stealing small boxes of cereal is a CRIME to walk the Plank,,,,

I can't stand viewing those tubes especially with Fruit Loops....

On 3/8/2023 at 8:16 AM, shipgeeks said:

PC are known as Crisps in UK.......

On 3/8/2023 at 4:24 PM, lenquixote66 said:

The last time I ate Potato Chips .I believe they were a Wise product was probably about 30 years ago.

You should try the Oldie's that came back...... Wises is putting out Golden vers like in the past.

Same as in the past. Tried using old bag fashion.

On 3/11/2023 at 5:23 PM, Mum2Mercury said:

Homemade potato chips are a fairly labor-intensive item. 

If the ship can make scallop potatoes, lyonnaise style also, they can use the cutter sized for chips. 

I can make a batch in no time with the right heat and timing. They go like crazy when made.

Edited by BklynBoy8

Certain Commercial Brands are close to homemade.

I am not a Kettle Fan but Regular are great with the right oil used.

Our best are some locally made that are not shared in all Commercial Stores.

Commercial  we like Cape Cod Brand best stored in a Tin Can as they come in to seal out much air. They have the proper balance of salt. A different type of kettle.

Not really Sour Cream and Onion, Salt and Vinegar, BBQ not my greatest.

Edited by BklynBoy8

On 3/8/2023 at 1:24 PM, lenquixote66 said:

The last time I ate Potato Chips .I believe they were a Wise product was probably about 30 years ago.

You have my condolences.  Chips are a very significant part of one of the of the major food groups - much superior to fruits, vegetables and stuff like that.

DON

3 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Surely you are being facetious .

Based just on taste alone what would most of us prefer to eat - a salad or a bag of chips.  I know my answer and remember I said taste alone.

DON