Carnival, why do you even make rules?

5 hours ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

It seems that a larger and larger percentage of people are jerks these days, whether it's while driving, at the grocery store, restaurant, or any other normal everyday place. These people don't seem to have been raised with any sense of manners, social etiquette, or empathy for others and they don't suddenly grow these social skills when they get on a cruise ship. 

People just seem to have lost the ability to smile and be friendly.  The Golden Rule is lost for a lot of folks.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, AquarianCruiser said:

True story.  Someone I know quite well told me he went on a Carnival cruise with his family and he went to the main dining room on one of the chic dress nights wearing shorts and flip flops and he was furious because he wasn’t permitted to enter wearing his beach bum attire…and he was so outraged and insulted because according to him and I quote “It’s MY damn vacation!  And I should be allowed to wear any damn thing that I want to wear on MY damn vacation.”  He’s a big Garth Brooks fan so naturally he isn’t much on social graces.  Maybe cruising just isn’t for him.  

You lost me when you said Garth Brooks fan so not much on social graces.  And I suppose no other voting blocs or ethnic groups act like this.  If you really believe this, cruise on a 5 day out of San Juan or NYC.  

• Haha 1

That’s true.  I believe, generally speaking, we get what we pay for.  If we want a more exclusive and civilized cruise experience, we are going to have to pay the extra to have it or to have a better chance of having it.  There are no guarantees we will not cross paths with a few Neanderthals and unsavory characters when we decide to book a cruise however being mindful of the cruise line, dates and itinerary are more often than not good indicators of the experiences we are signing up for.  
The difference between cruising on Carnival and cruising on Celebrity was like the difference between night and day in my opinion.  That being said, I’ve never been on a bad cruise.  I’ve enjoyed them all and didn’t want them to ever end.  

Edited by AquarianCruiser
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

You lost me when you said Garth Brooks fan so not much on social graces.  And I suppose no other voting blocs or ethnic groups act like this.  If you really believe this, cruise on a 5 day out of San Juan or NYC.  

You cannot be serious.  I quoted a line from a Garth Brooks song that Garth Brooks wrote himself.  You have got to be kidding.  lol

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, icft said:

In addition to the kids running wild etc. there are so many cruisers these days trying as hard as they can to be offended.😅🤣😂

That's not just cruisers, it's an entire generation of people. The reason comedy is dead.

• Like 10

Just got off the Mardi Gras and had the exact same experience. I noticed it a lot in Serenity, which defeats the whole purpose of that area. A loud, personal playlist playing over the intended soothing music destroys the vibe. The staff (who were great btw) did not intervene. Probably trying to avoid confrontations.

5 minutes ago, mdin said:

Just got off the Mardi Gras and had the exact same experience. I noticed it a lot in Serenity, which defeats the whole purpose of that area. A loud, personal playlist playing over the intended soothing music destroys the vibe. The staff (who were great btw) did not intervene. Probably trying to avoid confrontations.

The crew probably thinking, "at least they're not beating the snot out of each other or smoking pot" Choosing their battles.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/7/2023 at 2:30 PM, crazy4themouse said:

Just got off Vista on Saturday, and had an amazing time, as always. The staff are always wonderful on Carnival, but they all seemed extra-nice this time around for some reason! Every last one of them. And our stateroom host was so sweet! The whole ship was sparkling clean, the food was *much* improved since our most recent Breeze cruise in October, and our beloved Havana area was just as awesome as always.

The one issue we had this cruise was not one I expected. I know Carnival just recently made the big to-do about how they're done with everyone's shenanigans and were going to be cracking down. Chair hogs, fights, that sort of thing were not going to be tolerated...They made it sound like Shaquille O'Neal himself was going to pop out of a lifeboat and kick anyone's ass who defied the rules. And things like bluetooth speakers were now banned entirely. This kind of irked me because we always bring a small one to play white noise on while we sleep, but NBD we just used the phone itself. I don't know if it was in defiance over the new rules being enforced, or we just lucked out on every other cruise, but this cruise -- immediately after the proclamation had been made -- it was a big issue with the speakers. 

At least 4 or 5 times when we'd go up to the smoking area at 11 aft, there would be someone with music just *blasting* out of their personal speaker. A couple of times, the guy hung it right from under the big umbrella like we had all voted to hear it. A couple of times there were two people with competing speakers. One time, a woman was wandering through one of the shops holding a speaker, also at near full volume, like she was the only one aboard the ship. And the enforcement each time? Nowhere to be found, Shaq or otherwise. It was pretty ridiculous. 

So if anyone was wondering about whether or not Carnival was actually going to start enforcing their own rules that they make such a big deal about, the answer is definitely NO.

We had a speaker with us on our most recent Vista cruise 2/25-3/4. We kept it very low and asked everyone around us to please say something if it was a problem. 

29 minutes ago, DreadPirateRobert said:

We had a speaker with us on our most recent Vista cruise 2/25-3/4. We kept it very low and asked everyone around us to please say something if it was a problem. 

It's a problem but folks those other folks were too polite and considerate to say anything.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, AquarianCruiser said:

That’s true.  I believe, generally speaking, we get what we pay for.  If we want a more exclusive and civilized cruise experience, we are going to have to pay the extra to have it or to have a better chance of having it.  There are no guarantees we will not cross paths with a few Neanderthals and unsavory characters when we decide to book a cruise however being mindful of the cruise line, dates and itinerary are more often than not good indicators of the experiences we are signing up for.  

I agree with all of this.  But, as I said in an earlier reply on this thread, it bothers me that this isn't an option for everyone.  Some people save up all year to take their well-behaved selves and their well-behaved families on a cruise.   The solution should not burden the innocent with a solution but hold the guilty accountable.  

Adam Smith Quote: “Mercy to the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.”

If Carnival discouraged unruly behavior with consequences, it could keep its prices low while attracting a better crowd.  Maybe those who can afford "a better crowd" would choose Carnival more often.   I'd be willing to upgrade to a suite on Carnival if I had better odds of not dealing with ridiculous behavior.  Until then, I will continue to cruise Carnival "on the cheap" and spend more on other lines.  

But, again, the story about the widow and his children feeds my point.   People who do the right thing but are not well off should have options. 

Edited by Momto3girlsintheCarolinas
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, icft said:

It's a problem but folks those other folks were too polite and considerate to say anything.

I am not too polite or too considerate.  I am afraid of the reaction of a person who would act like that in the first place.  I don't want to be screamed at or hit, and I don't want to upset those around me trying to enjoy their vacation.  

While I do not think it should fall under the purview of the crew to address this kind of behavior, having a well-trained and visible security force seems reasonable.... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, DreadPirateRobert said:

nobody wants to hear your music except you! Not difficult to understand…

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

People shouldn't have to confront another about such things on vacation, including myself. It may be agreeable music to you, but subjective to others. Even at low volume. I usually have no problem moving, but if its a busy Sea Day, then it's a problem.

Edited by seannyice81
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

You apparently don’t realize it (or do you?) but your passive-aggressive challenge only serves you so you can act offended or uber sensitive if someone has the nerve to say something. And by asking everyone, you made it clear that the first to say something would be considered a lone wolf.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Guest BasicSailor
23 minutes ago, ZumbaChick said:

We are Platinum Carnival, and have enjoyed many cruises, but in the recent years it has gotten out of control. Just came back from our first Celebrity cruise and will never go back to Carnival! 

Can't say as I blame you. I have noticed the disrespect from the crew drop in the last few years. I usually do at least four cruise's a year, but I have cut back to three (On different lines). More land vacations for this Diamond member Gatlinburg Tenn. was a blast. I truly feel Carnival is trying to push the Platinum and Diamond members out.

5 hours ago, DreadPirateRobert said:

5 hours ago, icft said:

2 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

You apparently don’t realize it (or do you?) but your passive-aggressive challenge only serves you so you can act offended or uber sensitive if someone has the nerve to say something. And by asking everyone, you made it clear that the first to say something would be considered a lone wolf.

Exactly...many incidents start with one person speaking up and being attacked by a group.  Your "we" already signals that most individuals are already outnumbered.    

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guest BasicSailor
7 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Exactly...many incidents start with one person speaking up and being attacked by a group.  Your "we" already signals that most individuals are already outnumbered.    

Reminds me of the days when this site was controlled by the Host and their followers. And so forth as with JH today.😉

9 hours ago, Momto3girlsintheCarolinas said:

I agree with all of this.  But, as I said in an earlier reply on this thread, it bothers me that this isn't an option for everyone.  Some people save up all year to take their well-behaved selves and their well-behaved families on a cruise.   The solution should not burden the innocent with a solution but hold the guilty accountable.  

Adam Smith Quote: “Mercy to the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.”

If Carnival discouraged unruly behavior with consequences, it could keep its prices low while attracting a better crowd.  Maybe those who can afford "a better crowd" would choose Carnival more often.   I'd be willing to upgrade to a suite on Carnival if I had better odds of not dealing with ridiculous behavior.  Until then, I will continue to cruise Carnival "on the cheap" and spend more on other lines.  

But, again, the story about the widow and his children feeds my point.   People who do the right thing but are not well off should have options. 

I agree 100 %. 👍🏻👌🏻👏🏻 💯 

I’m just not planning on taking another Carnival cruise though I reserve the right to change my mind at a later date.  I’m spoiled after my cruise on the Celebrity Beyond.  No squalling.  No squealing.  No pounding on the doors in the middle of the night.  No dodging underaged, pint sized terrorists in the hallways.  No Neanderthals propping up their filthy feet on the seat opposite of them in the main dining room in the evening.  No hooligans picking up food and putting it back in the buffet lines.  I don’t mind getting behind someone pushing a walker and/or someone who walks with a cane.  I will gladly smile and be content knowing that I won’t be dealing with uncivilized behavior because I am not on Carnival.  I’ve met some of the most interesting and high quality people on Celebrity too.  

• Like 2