Does more newbies = more ships?

YoPhilly

I see so many cruisers “jumping ship” from Celebrity, Princess, etc. - at least on this board.  That’s great news for O.  Wondering how/if that translates to a bigger fleet.  Thoughts?

1 hour ago, YoPhilly said:

Wondering how/if that translates to a bigger fleet. Thoughts?

The NEW Vista sails this year, so that's the 7th ship. With the 8th named and to be in service in the future, the 8th ship. That will be the current 4 smaller Rs and 2 larger Os plus the two larger Allures.

BUT this was news in 2019, before COVID. These things take lots of planning and time!

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/3646/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YoPhilly said:

I see so many cruisers “jumping ship” from Celebrity, Princess, etc. - at least on this board.  That’s great news for O.  Wondering how/if that translates to a bigger fleet.  Thoughts?

Vista is already the next added O ship. Allura will be ready in 2025. All O ships will remain “small” at under 1200 passengers. 
I predict that Marina (or Riviera) will move permanently to the Pacific and, if anything is built in the foreseeable future after Allura is launched, it will be O’s first expedition ship.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Vista is already the next added O ship. Allura will be ready in 2025. All O ships will remain “small” at under 1200 passengers. 
I predict that Marina (or Riviera) will move permanently to the Pacific and, if anything is built in the foreseeable future after Allura is launched, it will be O’s first expedition ship.

Why do you think a ship will move to the Pacific?  Which market?

2 hours ago, YoPhilly said:

Look at Vista’s itineraries in ‘24 and ‘25. Then look at Riviera’s in ‘24 and ‘25 (where you’ll  notice far more Pacific Rim ports than previously).

There’s only one true “market” in the Pacific: The Rim (which is an always moving market). That said, the main “home base” would be LA (though I’d prefer SF). But, whichever O class ship it is, it will do crossings across the four Pacific quadrants as it moves across associated summers/winters.

2 hours ago, YoPhilly said:

Did you miss the memo that Oceania will be losing many of their loyal customers due to age? It will equal out. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

It seems to me that the Vista will be wasted on Caribbean "milk runs".  If I was guessing (and I am) I would use Marina in the Caribbean and Vista for more exotic itineraries like the SA season that Marina is doing right now, that is unless FDR doesn't want his shiny new boat to get all scratched and dinged by icebergs. 

11 hours ago, shepherd really said:

It seems to me that the Vista will be wasted on Caribbean "milk runs".  If I was guessing (and I am) I would use Marina in the Caribbean and Vista for more exotic itineraries like the SA season that Marina is doing right now, that is unless FDR doesn't want his shiny new boat to get all scratched and dinged by icebergs. 

I had similar thoughts, but then as details about Vista emerged I started to wonder. The alterations such as Ember instead of Jacques and a focus on cocktails (Bloody Mary bars, mixologist classes, etc.) indicates that Vista is trying to appeal to GenX and below (~<60). While some in this age group are FI/retired or have large swaths of vacation time, I would guess that most can only manage the 7-10 day cruises. I could be completely off base. Now if I could just convince O to carry a decent cider...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AMHuntFerry said:

I had similar thoughts, but then as details about Vista emerged I started to wonder. The alterations such as Ember instead of Jacques and a focus on cocktails (Bloody Mary bars, mixologist classes, etc.) indicates that Vista is trying to appeal to GenX and below (~<60). While some in this age group are FI/retired or have large swaths of vacation time, I would guess that most can only manage the 7-10 day cruises. I could be completely off base. Now if I could just convince O to carry a decent cider...

Again- look at the Vista (and Riviera) itineraries through first quarter of 2025. As I said earlier, one O ship is going to the Pacific (I had hoped it would be Marina) and Vista will get stuck in Miami as a cash cow. 

DC4A964A-77A9-45A8-9C70-7B107C699809.jpeg

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Again- look at the Vista (and Riviera) itineraries through first quarter of 2025. As I said earlier, one O ship is going to the Pacific (I had hoped it would be Marina) and Vista will get stuck in Miami as a cash cow. 

DC4A964A-77A9-45A8-9C70-7B107C699809.jpeg

I think we are in agreement. Shepherd really was surprised that Vista would be stuck in the Caribbean, and I was suggesting that those itineraries are something the younger generations would be better able to do and that Vista has some new features that seem to be geared toward attracting them.
I also had noticed that Riviera appears to be headed for the Alaska season after I saw that Regatta would be elsewhere in the summer of 2025. (and I also would love if SF was that home port!)

2 hours ago, AMHuntFerry said:

I think we are in agreement. Shepherd really was surprised that Vista would be stuck in the Caribbean, and I was suggesting that those itineraries are something the younger generations would be better able to do and that Vista has some new features that seem to be geared toward attracting them.
I also had noticed that Riviera appears to be headed for the Alaska season after I saw that Regatta would be elsewhere in the summer of 2025. (and I also would love if SF was that home port!)

While LA has a larger population within reasonable drive from the port area, most out-of-state folks would/should prefer SF, which is more compact and user friendly.

• Like 2