What does Oceania consider "premium economy"?

Lance&Jen

Back to the original question, what does Oceania consider to be “Premium Economy”.  I recently got notice of flights for the May 13 sailing on Vista.  The return flight was pretty good from Venice, one stop in London to Charlotte. The first leg was regular economy, the trans-Atlantic flight was ‘Premium Economy’ on American Airlines. That is more width, legroom, uprated meals and drinks.

However, the flight going on United, the trans-Atlantic was in Economy, looking at the seat assignments it was ‘Economy Plus’ which appears to be nothing more than a couple of inches of leg room. United does offer a ‘Premium Economy’ class similar to others including American Airlines.  They even have flights with “Economy Plus’ and ‘Premium Economy’. I am rebooking those flights to spend a couple extra days in Rome, told my TA, I did not consider ‘Economy Plus’ to be ‘Premium Economy” purchased.  Waiting to new flights.

It is not Oceania that determines what is Premium Economy, it is the airlines definition of that class of service and if they even offer it. When we have used the Oceania PE upgrade for our West Coast long haul flights over the pond,  they have been great value for the money. Any flights then within Europe, have been Economy because the airlines did not offer short route PE service. 
We always do a lot of airline searches to see who offers PE and on what flights and then let Oceania Air see what they can come up with.  If it works, then we know where our break even point is and proceed accordingly. 
Good Luck,

Mauibabes

No, the premium economy is nothing like the old first class seats. They are not as padded, not as wide and doesn't recline much. Each airline has different types of premium economy seats so you need to do your homework.

If you cannot sleep without reclining, like me, don't even attempt it. On the newer seats on some airlines, reclining seats have the seats moving forward, and the backs hardly move back so you are still sitting straight.

I don't fly to get better airline food or drinks, I want a comfortable seat so I do business class.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, LHT28 said:

You should have good travel  insurance  anyway

There is no guarantee if using O air that your flights will not be delayed

O cannot get  you on a flight  with no seats available should you miss the connection etc...

True, but ‘O’ will pay your expenses until they can get you to the ship some way…

4 hours ago, bob brown said:

True, but ‘O’ will pay your expenses until they can get you to the ship some way…

Perhaps...but nowhere in the Terms & Conditions on the Legal page of their website does there appear any promise of such care should you miss your embarkation due to late flight arrival.  

What they do say is:  "In making these arrangements, Oceania Cruises acts only as an agent on the Guest's behalf, and does not operate, control, or supervise any airlines and is not responsible for carriers failing to meet schedules."

Plus, even if they have an unofficial unwritten policy to "pay your expenses until they can get you to the ship," it may not be possible.  Per the T&Cs:  "Due to government regulations, if you are delayed or unable to board at embarkation, you may not be able to board at a later time."  

In which case, you are probably on the next flight back home while a paid-for cruise sails around somewhere with your money (but not you) onboard.

• Like 2

And you can just take the air credit and buy a PE seat on your preferred air carrier ($499 each way is alot)  Then you can use point or credits to upgrade to Biz.  Many airlines use the priority list for upgrades as paid PE being the highest (like United).

In February (booked in December) flew RT on UA from MCO to VIE (Vienna) in PE for $1200 and used plus points both ways for upgrades

Last week (booked in January)  -- RT on UA from MCO to GVA (Geneva) in PE for $1300 -- same on the upgrade both ways.

Edited by PaulMCO

7 hours ago, bob brown said:

Maybe  because you were on RTW   they paid  for yours?

I have not had a problem so do not know  what O would pay or not pay if  flights are delayed

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bob brown said:

You may want to read the Cruise T&Cs and Ticket Contract more carefully. Oceania assumes no responsibility for the performance of third party performers including air carriers. Acting only as a TA in booking air, O will assist in any necessary rebooking due to air delay or cancelation. But, any associated expenses or compensation is an issue between you, the airline and your travel insurer. And don’t forget that boarding at a later port stop may be restricted by local authorities (if available at all).

A somewhat similar misconception is that the ship will always wait for latecomers from its own tours. Bottom line here is that “time and tide wait for no man.” Port authorities have the final say on whether a ship can overstay its allotted time in port (and Mother Nature is very picky about adhering to her tide tables).

In this situation, however, O’s Port Agent (always printed in the daily Currents) will provide logistical assistance. And, though O’s legal mumbo jumbo still absolves them from responsibility for third party performance, Destination Services MAY (and most likely will) compensate you for the next port logistics costs. That said, however, anyone without their own Travel Insurance (Trip Interruption) coverage may find themselves S.O.L.

On 3/11/2023 at 9:57 AM, LHT28 said:

YUP

But then booking your own PE these days  is bad also

You are between a rock & a hard place flying now😃

And if anything kills cruising, it's going to be the air fares.  I can afford the cruise; getting there, not so much!

• Like 3

Thanks for all the clarifications. I had thought that the main benefit of booking cruise line air, as well as their shorex, was the assurance of them guaranteeing the connection either way.

Guess I’ll have to rethink that.

Fortunately, I was never in a position to test it🙂

8 hours ago, bob brown said:

Thanks for all the clarifications. I had thought that the main benefit of booking cruise line air, as well as their shorex, was the assurance of them guaranteeing the connection either way.

Maybe with the excursions   it works  as they are responsible to get you back onboard

12 hours ago, bob brown said:

In case anyone else doubts, here’s the Ticket Contract language (pretty straightforward):

i. Shore Excursions and Other Transportation, Services and Facilities: We shall in no event be liable to You with respect to any occurrence prior to embarkation or after disembarkation from the Ship named herein or substitute, except for transportation by water which is carried out by means of a conveyance provided by Us including the Ship and our tenders. If we have made arrangements on Your behalf for the provision of travel facilities with various independent contractors, such arrangements were made solely as a convenience and not as an agent of those independent contractors, for which a surcharge may be imposed. Although Carrier requires that independent contractors comply with Carrier’s COVID-19 Policies and Procedures, Carrier does not undertake to supervise or control such independent contractors or their employees, conveyances or facilities, and accepts no liability for any loss, delay, damage, injury, death, misrepresentation or disappointment whatsoever resulting therefrom. Carrier makes no representation, either express or implied, regarding the suitability, safety, insurance or other aspects of any such independent contractors, transportation, tours, services, products or facilities and Carrier’s liability for nonperformance of any independent contractor providing such facilities or services shall be limited to a refund of the amounts received by Carrier on the Guest’s behalf, if any. We assume no responsibility in whole or in part for any delays, delayed departures or arrivals, missed connections, loss, death, damage or injury to person or property or accident, mechanical defect, failure or negligence of any nature whatever caused in connection with any accommodations, transportation, services or facilities, substitution of hotels, common carriers or equipment with or without notice or for any additional expenses occasioned thereby. We reserve the right to choose the air carrier, routing and gateway locations, as well as the right to substitute charter flights for scheduled service and vice versa. If the entire Cruise or CruiseTour is canceled by Us for any reason, Guests shall have no claim other than for a full refund of the Cruise Fare or the CruiseTour Fare, whichever is applicable. The airlines and other transportation companies concerned are not to be held responsible for any act, omission or event during the time You are not on board their conveyances. This Ticket Contract constitutes the sole agreement between Carrier and You, it being understood that the various independent contractors otherwise participating in the Cruise or CruiseTour will enter into their own separate contractual arrangements with You, and that You assume the risk of utilizing the services and facilities of those independent contractors. Any penalties, change fees or cancellation fees that result from changes to or cancellation of air arrangements are the sole responsibility of the Guest. The Carrier shall not be liable for any injuries or damages which occur while participating in any athletic or recreational activities aboard the vessel or onshore at any port of call. Carrier is not responsible for (a) Guest’s use of any athletic or recreational equipment or attractions; (b) for the negligence or wrongdoing of any independent contractors, including but not limited to shore excursion operators, photographers, spa personnel or entertainers; and (c) for events taking place off the Carrier’s vessels, launches, tenders or transports, or as part of any shore excursion, tour or activity. Guest agrees to solely assume the risk of injury, death, illness or any other loss arising out of or relating to the aforementioned and fully releases and discharges Carrier.

• Like 1

So what they tell you, and what they practice, may not be the same?

The legal contract seems to absolve them of responsibility, but I have seen them always wait for late returning shorex passenger, or on one occasion put them in a hotel, and bring them to the next port.🤷‍♂️

4 hours ago, bob brown said:

The legal contract seems to absolve them of responsibility, but I have seen them always wait for late returning shorex passenger, or on one occasion put them in a hotel, and bring them to the next port.🤷‍♂️

most importantly, the fine print doesn’t “seem” to absolve them. It is iron clad and crystal clear.

in addition, as aforementioned, it is ultimately the Port Captain and/or Mother Nature who decides at what point the ship can no longer wait. and, while (in some situations), O’s Port Agent will then provide logistical assistance for those who fail to make the ship, any $ necessary for those arrangements are probably spelled out in the O contracts with the third party providers.

so, while O may bend over backwards to assist you, who ultimately pays the tab could be an issue that drops in the lap of the third party provider.

6 hours ago, bob brown said:

Were they on an O tour ?

Then the ship will try to wait  but  it is not the same if you miss  a flight & miss the ship for  embarkation day

They may try to get you to the ship  but other factors  may stop that from happening

On 3/9/2023 at 5:59 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Depends on the airline and the aircraft. The terminology can be tricky too. Premium Economy or Premium Plus or Whatever, it can range from extra legroom only to a somewhat larger/non-lay flat seat with a better meal and free booze. Add to that, the probability that, if you have a US domestic leg in your itinerary, the “Premium Economy” will be only for the long haul intercontinental flight.

Whatever the seat types are, if you’re doing a 12-15 hr long haul (we just did SFO-SYD 15 hrs +), anything but “lay flats” (e.g., United Polaris) is asking for a very uncomfortable experience. Even shorter long hauls to Europe from California (we often do SFO-FRA then local connects) scream out for lay flat seats.

And, if you do opt for bizclass, do not use O air. Their bizclass quotes look good until you realize you don’t get credit for the coach tix purchased in the “with air” cruise fare required to get that bizclass quote. You end up paying for two tix per person! In addition, if you want specific non-stops on a preferred carrier, you’ll also be looking at possible deviation fees and fare differentials - particularly on non-contract airlines.

My advice: take the air credit and DIY.

I would research air fare before you turn down O’s. I have a direct flight back from Rome and am paying the $175 air deviation fee plus $500 fare difference. When I researched it myself, the flights were all over $4,000 (business class).

5 hours ago, Furball83 said:

I would research air fare before you turn down O’s. I have a direct flight back from Rome and am paying the $175 air deviation fee plus $500 fare difference. When I researched it myself, the flights were all over $4,000 (business class).

But, were you given an air credit for the value of the coach tix paid for in the initial cruise fare? If so, that would be a change in a long-standing O practice. If not, you may want to redo your math and add the cost of those unused tix to your bottom line on airfare.. 
In any case, I stand by my oft stated “NEVER use O for bizclass.” If for no other reason than not being able to then DIY necessary changes (e.g., ticket assignment at a connecting hub when the “poop hits the fan”), I’d rather not introduce a third party into the equation, thus losing control of the air booking and be stuck with fare classes that deny FF points,

As for “researching it myself,” are you using ITA Matrix for an overview of DIY bizclass prices? And, despite what an airline’s own website might say, are you then calling the carrier to see if there are unpublished “flash sales” (particularly on partner carriers for short  haul connections)? That alone can save up to “four figures” on bottom line air costs.

(BTW: the deviation fee has increased to $199.)

With the "post pandemic" business class pricing the way it is, we have started flying lie flat for over night flights and premium economy for day time long hauls. Doing a TA repositioning with friends starting next Tuesday. Flying home BA from London in premium economy during the day, saved about 6000 usd. Did not do O air but have in the past. As was mentioned upthread, once you are at the airport, only the airlines can help you if flights start going sideways  because at that point the air carrier has assumed control of the ticket. 

• Like 1