Overseas Flight Outfit

buckeye7

On 3/21/2023 at 9:25 PM, Blanq said:

100% agree on this approach, and it’s my go-to outfit as well. I love Vuori performance joggers for travel. Their dream knit fabric is so comfy. Also, I often will add a scarf to the mix, usually a neutral one in soft linen.

I bought my husband a couple of pairs of those Vuori performance joggers and they're amazing.  So soft and comfortable.  I may buy myself a pair for our trip this summer.  

In the past, we've flown overnight from Boston to Paris knowing we would be getting off the plane, dropping our bags at the hotel and going on a tour of the city (with 40-70 kids in tow)  I typically dress in whatever pants I plan on wearing once we land in Paris and a light t-shirt, zip front sweater and a pashmina type scarf and my shoes for the next day.  Once I'm on the plane I pop into the bathroom and change into comfier pants, either leggings or sweatpants.  Our friend who ran the trips insisted that everyone be dressed and ready to go once we got out of the airport.  There would be no time for changing at the hotel.  

• Like 1

Okay, off topic but since some of you have the info I figure I'll ask.  You mention upgrades at hotels for Amex Platinum members etc.  Do you have to ask for them or does the hotel normally upgrade those people on their own?  I booked our hotel (Marriott corp) through Amex and supposedly we're eligible for an upgrade when we get to the hotel if it's available.  I know the Westin in Nashville "upgraded" us without our asking last summer.  The room they gave us was on a corner and it was hotter than the devil the entire time we were there.  

• 1 month later...
On 5/10/2023 at 11:34 AM, gail-s said:

Okay, off topic but since some of you have the info I figure I'll ask.  You mention upgrades at hotels for Amex Platinum members etc.  Do you have to ask for them or does the hotel normally upgrade those people on their own?  I booked our hotel (Marriott corp) through Amex and supposedly we're eligible for an upgrade when we get to the hotel if it's available.  I know the Westin in Nashville "upgraded" us without our asking last summer.  The room they gave us was on a corner and it was hotter than the devil the entire time we were there.  

I guess this is an appropriate time to use the 'your mileage may vary' line. LOL.

Some hotels have a separate check in line, and others do not.  Some staff will catch it and upgrade, some you have to ask (nicely).  No matter, I just ask where my room is located. Just like on a cruise ship, sometimes the "upgraded" room's location is not preferable.  I have also refused the upgrade, when it would require me waiting for the room to be ready, versus taking a room which I could have early check-in.

Have a great trip!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Having run through many airports over the years and being heavier chested I always wear a comfy sports bra. I love my Knix because it holds everything in without uncomfortable compression. Depending what footwear I’m bringing I either wear my Vejas (leather sneakers) or my Blundstones on my flight. I also like having a blanket scarf or shawl when I travel which can make a simple outfit stand out and also be used as a blanket.

for domestic flights I like wearring yoga jeans, a sleeveless top, and a nice blazer. For long haul it’s tapered black stretchy pants (with pockets), a loose tencel tshirt, and a cardigan. Both I always have a blanket scarf or large silk scarf with me as well. When I land I often will change into a different pair of pants but at least during my flight I was able to relax or sleep.

7 hours ago, SoloAlaska said:

Having run through many airports over the years and being heavier chested I always wear a comfy sports bra. I love my Knix because it holds everything in without uncomfortable compression. Depending what footwear I’m bringing I either wear my Vejas (leather sneakers) or my Blundstones on my flight. I also like having a blanket scarf or shawl when I travel which can make a simple outfit stand out and also be used as a blanket.

for domestic flights I like wearring yoga jeans, a sleeveless top, and a nice blazer. For long haul it’s tapered black stretchy pants (with pockets), a loose tencel tshirt, and a cardigan. Both I always have a blanket scarf or large silk scarf with me as well. When I land I often will change into a different pair of pants but at least during my flight I was able to relax or sleep.

And look very attractive doing it!  I go nowhere without pockets, they make a girl's life so convenient.

On 5/10/2023 at 9:34 AM, gail-s said:

As someone who worked/ran the Front Desk at a Starwood (now Marriott) hotel, there is a specific AMEX program you had to book through to get the AMEX benefits,  Plats and Centurions book through the Fine Hotels & Resorts program on AMEX.  Depending on which card, you get upgrade either if available at check in or upon booking, an early check in and late checkout, and a "gift" specific to that hotel - $200 spa credit, $200 food credit, etc.  You had to book with the AMEX card and present it when you checked in.  Now, if you have those cards, you also get automatic Marriott Gold status if you sign up for it on the AMEX page.  When book, give them your Bonvoy # and then everyone will see it and you will get an upgrade if it is available when you check in.   Also, if you have that Plat/Cent card, you can sign up for Hilton Gold, too.  

• Like 2

Yes, we had reserved through the Amex site for one of their Fine Hotels.  We received a $$ credit for food / drinks which we blew through quite easily in the bar on site ($35 cheeseburger, $25 Caesar salad etc)  We had the room I reserved so I'm assuming that there were no upgrades available.  The hotel was nice and we appreciated having staff who spoke English and assisted us in getting taxis when needed.  I linked my Marriot account to the Plat card but haven't done the Hilton yet.  I probably should.  

• Like 1

Ok, I have a question re terminology: "yoga pants".

After many years in the fitness industry, yoga pants, to me, were long pants with close fit to below the knees, and then a boot cut finish.  

Garments that fit the legs all the way to the ankles were tights, or leggings.

All, of course, were good quality stretch fabrics, frequently black.  Personally, they are probably my most-worn garment in all except dressy settings.  Travel, board a ship, grocery shop, PT, home.  I find them flattering, appropriate, and comfortable.  I would not, however, choose to wear "tights" in any of those settings.

How do you define, and what do you wear?

15 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

After many years in the fitness industry, yoga pants, to me, were long pants with close fit to below the knees, and then a boot cut finish.  

All, of course, were good quality stretch fabrics, frequently black.  Personally, they are probably my most-worn garment in all except dressy settings.  Travel, board a ship, grocery shop, PT, home.  I find them flattering, appropriate, and comfortable.  I would not, however, choose to wear "tights" in any of those settings.

Unless they are leather look “tights”, obviously not meant for activewear but the same cut.

2 hours ago, gail-s said:

Yes, we had reserved through the Amex site for one of their Fine Hotels.  We received a $$ credit for food / drinks which we blew through quite easily in the bar on site ($35 cheeseburger, $25 Caesar salad etc)  We had the room I reserved so I'm assuming that there were no upgrades available.  The hotel was nice and we appreciated having staff who spoke English and assisted us in getting taxis when needed.  I linked my Marriot account to the Plat card but haven't done the Hilton yet.  I probably should.  

If you have Plat, it is if available.  Centurion is upgraded when booked.   I forgot that there is also the breakfast credit. When I worked, there was a letter that we had to present to the guest which told each benefit you received AND we had to verbally go over it with the guest.  When we got "shopped" by AMEX, if we didn't do it, we got a failing grade.  My boss forgot once.  That put us on probation.   

Also, with Plat/Cent, you have that once-a-year $200 hotel room credit that you get back on your card, so sometimes the amount you pay through FHR, with that and the extras make it better to book there than elsewhere.

3 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

This makes me laugh ... does anyone really know the exact definition of yoga pants?  Not me!  Everyone decries 'yoga pants',  but nobody ever says what is bad about wearing yoga pants 'out of the studio'. All this stuff comes out of New York, and the rest of the country doesn't pay much attention.  I like your definition: slim-fit bootcut, all-over stretchy fabric, elastic waist.  I wear these kinds of pants all the time.  Leggings are leggings.  Trousers are trousers and jeans are jeans, or levis or denims.  The British call opaque pantyhose 'tights'.  I think denigrating yoga pants is really denigrating certain 'outfits'.  Nobody who is the proper weight and wears them at the right length with appropriate tops (cover the butt please) need worry.  Someone with bulges, inappropriate top, too short, too tight, probably heather grey, doesn't present much of a pleasing picture.   The funny part is that I have a pair of black pants just like described, and I wear them on dressy occasions because they look just like silk ... except they don't wrinkle!  I am eager to hear what others think.

• Like 1

This is a fun thread to read as I am preparing for our longest flight yet, 9 hours to Europe will seem quick compared to our upcoming flight. The total flight time is 16 hours, with the last leg being 13 hours to Tokyo. Sadly it will happen in Economy, because of not being born or marrying into wealth. 😉 My plan so far is joggers, compression socks, and tennis shoes. I like to have zippered pockets on my pants so nothing accidentally falls out. I am either too hot or too cold, so there is no shot of me being comfortable without layers. That said, any other tips or tricks? We lose a day when we land, it will be like it is 2 am, but it will be 2 pm in Japan, so we are going right to the hotel and we can freshen up there before heading out, jet lag be damned! 🙂

I wore lace-up shoes exactly ONCE on an airplane.  Now I wear slip-on shoes ... the others were very uncomfortable after a couple of hours.  I bring a pair of those cheap slippers found in some hotels.  I'm not sure what a jogger is, some kind of soft fabric with an elastic waist I hope!  Have a great time!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2023 at 11:53 AM, TheRinaldis said:

This is a fun thread to read as I am preparing for our longest flight yet, 9 hours to Europe will seem quick compared to our upcoming flight. The total flight time is 16 hours, with the last leg being 13 hours to Tokyo. Sadly it will happen in Economy, because of not being born or marrying into wealth. 😉 My plan so far is joggers, compression socks, and tennis shoes. I like to have zippered pockets on my pants so nothing accidentally falls out. I am either too hot or too cold, so there is no shot of me being comfortable without layers. That said, any other tips or tricks? We lose a day when we land, it will be like it is 2 am, but it will be 2 pm in Japan, so we are going right to the hotel and we can freshen up there before heading out, jet lag be damned! 🙂

For a flight of that length, definitely dress for comfort. When I take quick trips to the U.K. I always fly economy and I've learned to wear loose fitting clothes (except the compression stockings) because anything close fitted feels constricting after sitting for several hours. You might even want to change into knit PJ pants and a loose top after the flight takes off. If you can, grab a bulkhead seat and bring an inflatable foot rest. Makes a huge difference in comfort. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't sleep on airplanes, maybe a quick snooze if I'm lucky.  What really helps is getting up every 20 minutes and walking the length of the plane.  If nobody's in the galley, a few quick stretches.  I am so jealous of people who can sleep.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2023 at 11:53 AM, TheRinaldis said:

That said, any other tips or tricks? We lose a day when we land, it will be like it is 2 am, but it will be 2 pm in Japan, so we are going right to the hotel and we can freshen up there before heading out, jet lag be damned! 🙂

I missed this part the first time around!

My tips for long haul flights when you want to hit the ground running are:

- start changing your internal time clock days ahead so you’re closer to your destination time zone.
- a bulkhead seat really helps because no one needs to wake you to get past you. 

- once on the plane I shift my watch to the destination’s time and just begin behaving as if I am in that time zone and eat or sleep accordingly.

- I don’t drink alcohol on the plane if I need to quickly reset my body clock. I also avoid heavy or salty foods.

- If I need to sleep on the plane, I’ll take half a sleeping pill, put on an eye mask and noise cancelling headphones, and go to sleep. That means I usually miss some of the ’free’ meals and movies on the plane, but I also don’t struggle as much with jet lag.

Edited by mrgabriel
  • Like 4

On 9/8/2023 at 10:40 PM, jsn55 said:

... I'm not sure what a jogger is, some kind of soft fabric with an elastic waist I hope!  Have a great time!

You're on the right track.  Joggers are athleti-leisure pants.  Yes to soft fabric and elastic waist, but also elastic at the ankle.  They're supposed to be worn a tad short so you see a bit of ankle between the shoe and the pants.  They're comfortable and trendy right now, but -- unlike sweatpants -- they're not worn with "sloppy" tops.  

I think they'd be a great choice for wearing on a plane:  they aren't binding and would be comfortable for long trips, and they look good with slip-on sneakers (like Vans).  

Screenshot 2023-09-24 12.51.07 PM.png

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

You're on the right track.  Joggers are athleti-leisure pants.  Yes to soft fabric and elastic waist, but also elastic at the ankle.  They're supposed to be worn a tad short so you see a bit of ankle between the shoe and the pants.  They're comfortable and trendy right now, but -- unlike sweatpants -- they're not worn with "sloppy" tops.  

I think they'd be a great choice for wearing on a plane:  they aren't binding and would be comfortable for long trips, and they look good with slip-on sneakers (like Vans).  

Screenshot 2023-09-24 12.51.07 PM.png

Those are cute.....what brand are they?

• 1 month later...

Comfort all the way for long flights.  For me that means leggings or jeggings that don't constrict my waist at all.  I have a pair of dark denim jeggings that are so comfy that I am saving just for plane trips as they no longer make that particular style.  They look great but have extra room in the waist.

My leggings/jeggings are not tight, in fact I often buy them a size or two bigger than technically 'fit' as I don't like the look of the skin tight ones.

Our 16+ hour flight to Australia last year in economy was no fun, but at least my clothing was comfortable.

I add a short sleeved shirt, cardigan and light jacket, so that I can add or remove layers as needed.  I also wear comfy soft socks and slip on shoes--currently Sketchers.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser
  • Like 2

On 3/10/2023 at 11:00 AM, slidergirl said:

no need to look pretty for an upgrade

I just read an article about this. Flight attendants have a list of priorities for upgrades and if you make it it won't be because of how you're dressed. Oh, wait, I just found one of the articles.

https://www.tripsavvy.com/what-to-wear-for-first-class-upgrade-5093472

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1