Overseas Flight Outfit

buckeye7

I have a 12+ hour trip to Japan coming up. 😨

I plan to wear a pair of JJill Wearever slim-leg pants in navy. They are the perfect weight (not too heavy or light), as comfortable as yoga pants and look nice even after a long flight. 

With it, I'll probably wear some combination of tee-shirt and cardigan. 

I always wear my most serious walking shoes (Hokas) on flights as they are usually comfortable and also the bulkiest/heaviest shoes I take, so I don't have to fit them in my suitcase. They ARE lace-up but if I lace them loosely I find I can slip them off and on.

Since a few years ago when someone in my company suffered a severe pulmonary embolism after a long haul trip to China, I also always wear knee high support stockings. Very important!

• Like 6

Non-wrinkle fabrics with pockets ... pull-on slim-legged pants, short-sleeved shirt over a tank top, scarf, heaviest slip-on shoes.  Light-weight cardigan just in case, but I'm usually too warm anywhere.  My plain gold 'lucky bracelet', watch and earrings which I put into a pouch and stow in the outside pocket of my rollaboard while on the plane.  I want to look 'upgradeable' when arriving at the hotel.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Chicos Zenergy is my go to for travel. Jacket, pants & SPF long sleeve tshirt, support hose socks, Hokas or OOFOS for shoes, open cardigan with hood (also Zenergy) & pashmina (just in case). I put a shirt sleeve tshirt in my bag (in case of spills). 

• Like 3

Definitely clothes with some give because you'll be sitting for a long time.

I don't wear yoga pants or leggings outside of the house so for overnight flights I'll normally wear ponte pants, a short sleeved top, jacket (blazer or cardigan), socks, and shoes that can slip off. Good quality ponte holds its shape so you don't look like you've slept in your clothes when you get to your destination. And that can be important over eastbound flights because you might be wandering around for hours before getting in to your hotel room.

Equally important is seat selection! 😄

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jsn55 said:

Non-wrinkle fabrics with pockets ... pull-on slim-legged pants, short-sleeved shirt over a tank top, scarf, heaviest slip-on shoes.  Light-weight cardigan just in case, but I'm usually too warm anywhere.  My plain gold 'lucky bracelet', watch and earrings which I put into a pouch and stow in the outside pocket of my rollaboard while on the plane.  I want to look 'upgradeable' when arriving at the hotel.  

This! 

• Like 1

Last summer, going over to Europe, I wore my Pact Airplane Pant (no longer available) and Airplane Poncho (really a light hoodie sweatshirt), a white organic cotton Tshirt under that.  I think I wore my Merrell trail runners.  I had one of my scarves with me.  On the way home, I wore my Faherty faded railroad stripe overalls, a white organic cotton Tshirt and my pink high tops.  Brought my Airplane Poncho with me.  Since I flew  Delta One, I could be comfy whatever I wore, but my overalls are actually very comfy.  I had already shipped home my Merrells and some other things because it was just too darn hot.  I was nonstop home go I could look as grungy as I wanted to be at the end of a 10+ hour flight - no need to look pretty for an upgrade 😉

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, mrgabriel said:

This! 

I had to laugh at this.  When I was in charge of the Front Desk at several resorts, how you looked made ZERO difference to me.  The only time someone got an upgrade was if it was required by their Frequent Guest status or book with AMEX Plat or Centurion.  Maybe if your 3rd party booker screwed up and we didn't have the room you supposedly booked you would get what we had left and that could be an upgrade.  😉

ETA:  I forgot to say I also wear compression sleeves (not socks) on my legs when I fly.  Been doing that since I had my shattered my left leg back in 2007.  I like the sleeves because I can put them on when I get on the plane and take them off at the end.  

Edited by slidergirl
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I had to laugh at this.  When I was in charge of the Front Desk at several resorts, how you looked made ZERO difference to me.  The only time someone got an upgrade was if it was required by their Frequent Guest status or book with AMEX Plat or Centurion.  Maybe if your 3rd party booker screwed up and we didn't have the room you supposedly booked you would get what we had left and that could be an upgrade.  😉

ETA:  I forgot to say I also wear compression sleeves (not socks) on my legs when I fly.  Been doing that since I had my shattered my left leg back in 2007.  I like the sleeves because I can put them on when I get on the plane and take them off at the end.  

There are lots of opinions on this. 

One of my best friends was a gate agent for an airline and she confirmed that the way someone behaves and looks made a difference in flight upgrades. It was primarily limiting to those who were rude or obnoxious and dressed badly/smelling. I figure it doesn’t hurt to look nice. And carry chocolate! 

• Like 3

Such helpful answers, so thank you all! I was considering jeans since they are heavier and I thought I might keep them out of my suitcase. But I think my black slim-legged pants will be much more comfortable. Good point about wearing my walking shoes, rather than have them take up space in the suitcase. We are doing carry-on only.  And I’m thinking compressions socks or sleeves is a great idea as well. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, mrgabriel said:

One of my best friends was a gate agent for an airline and she confirmed that the way someone behaves and looks made a difference in flight upgrades. It was primarily limiting to those who were rude or obnoxious and dressed badly/smelling. I figure it doesn’t hurt to look nice. And carry chocolate! 

I think I'm just over all the people trying to cajole freebies out of me and my Front Desk folks.  I don't fall for the "$20 tip for an upgrade" trick, either.  And, since I have to deal with it myself, I do not try to get anything from anyone.   I respect most front-facing employees nowadays.  I've been known to actually apologize to an agent for the bad behavior of the person in front of me at the desk.   

• Like 4

We usually flying from the middle of winter to somewhere warmer. So its layers so at the end of the flight so I can do I bit of strip off. 

I usually have my heaviest trousers on with an elastic waist. And a couple of layers on top. I wear my heaviest shoes if I'm taking any. If I'm  only taking sandals (common) I will pack a pair of black socks to go with the  black sandals so I'm not freezing at home and maybe on the flight. Sometimes the socks don't come home. 

I've been known to use a light water proof jacket as my "warm" layer if I don't need anything else for the trip - but  if I'm taking my packable down jacket I  wear it as it doubles as an excellent neck pillow. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I think I'm just over all the people trying to cajole freebies out of me and my Front Desk folks.  I don't fall for the "$20 tip for an upgrade" trick, either.  And, since I have to deal with it myself, I do not try to get anything from anyone.   I respect most front-facing employees nowadays.  I've been known to actually apologize to an agent for the bad behavior of the person in front of me at the desk.   

Happened in front of us in December in Ft Lauderdale. This jerk was totally berating the desk clerk enough so my quiet husband said, that’s enough. The guy turned around, looked at us & started to make a comment & thought better of it & stormed off (my cane might or might not have come into contact with a shin or two). We bopped up to the desk & said, so…how’s your day going? Desk clerk started to laugh & said, it’s my first week. Hubs said you did great with that idiot, hope it’s not your last week. 

• Like 6

I have a pair of "Lou and Grey" knit pants that are my favorite travel pants.🙂 Especially on those overnight flights to Europe. They are sold at The Loft and I am guessing I have worn them at least a dozen times.....they are so comfy. VERY soft.  I usually wear either a short sleeved or 3/4 sleeve top and I always have a lightweight warm up jacket. As for shoes, I usually wear a mule. I have a pair of Skechers in black (the pants are black too). These shoes are very light weight too and I normally fly business class so the shoes go right under the shelf in my pod😀

• Like 2

Havent flown long haul for a lot of years so the most we fly is 5hrs which imo is darn long enough!

but i usually wear elasticated cotton (pants) trousers, trainers (sneakers) my heaviest footwear, then a vest with a light cotton knit sweater and a pashmina which doubles as pillow or blanket. We usually fly from cold to warm so layers are a must. I'll only take a jacket/coat if we are leaving the UK in winter or extremely horrid weather which we do get lots of lol 😁

• Like 3

Im also one that wears black leggings or joggers...typically with a tucked white tank and then a long cardigan.  I always fly with a lightweight cashmere wrap, so I can use it as a lap blanket if necessary - I tend to freeze on flights.  I wear sneakers...had to run in December to catch our connection, so I like to be prepared.  😂

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/10/2023 at 8:17 PM, mrgabriel said:

Maybe years ago this was true.  Not anymore.  I am a gate agent for a major airline and there are upgrade protocols we have to follow that have absolutely no relationship to how you are dressed or if you bring candy.  For domestic flights, premier status fliers get free upgrades and there are usually plenty of them in line for any empty seats.  For international flights, upgrades have to be paid for with miles/money/upgrade instruments.  

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, 6rugrats said:

Maybe years ago this was true.  Not anymore.  I am a gate agent for a major airline and there are upgrade protocols we have to follow that have absolutely no relationship to how you are dressed or if you bring candy.  For domestic flights, premier status fliers get free upgrades and there are usually plenty of them in line for any empty seats.  For international flights, upgrades have to be paid for with miles/money/upgrade instruments.  

Yup, no chance for an upgrade on a flight these days, for sure.   As they say, "them days are long gone".  The whole loyalty plan game has made the life of a gate agent a teeny bit better ... it's all laid out per status level.  Until some joker who hasn't flown in ten years finally leaves the bar and shows up to insist on an upgraded seat, of course.  $20 bills still sometimes work for hotel upgrades ... but the loyalty people mostly snatch those up quickly, so you have to arrive soon after lunch to have a chance.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, 6rugrats said:

This was preCovid on a smaller airline - not Delta or one of the major carriers.

On 3/10/2023 at 5:51 AM, bluetardis said:

I like leggings or yoga pants, with a tshirt and cardigan. I think slip n shoes are great with this outfit. IMO this is a cute comfortable look.

100% agree on this approach, and it’s my go-to outfit as well. I love Vuori performance joggers for travel. Their dream knit fabric is so comfy. Also, I often will add a scarf to the mix, usually a neutral one in soft linen.

• Like 2

The last time I flew overnight, I wore a jersey dress (bracelet-length sleeves, just below knee length skirt), with wool tights (from Snag - not at all like the scratchy itchy ones you might remember from childhood), cotton bike-style shorts over the tights to avoid the dreaded chub-rub, and my slip-on Blundstones. I pulled on a pair of knee-high compression socks just before I got on board, and took them off after we deplaned. I think I had a cardigan on as well. 

(I don't wear pants, so it's dresses and skirts for me.) 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

so much depends on the bulk of the trip.  I try to wear the bulkiest thing I have to ease some of the suitcase burden.  Shoes are easily slipped off once at your seat and I slip on the booties many airlines give in the comfort pack or slip on a pair of slipper type oversocks.

layers for sure.  I usually use a fitted jogger knit pant or a maxi length skirt.  Cable knit tights if the destination is cool.  I like to wear a long length duster style sweater  light or heavy.  I can use that sweater in my room when the air conditioning is too drafty.  This is easy to take off at destination and worn backward serves as a comfy wrap blanket at the seat. 

I live in Western Washington so I consider my flying wardrobe and what I need for the 1 - 2 hr drive to/ from the airport.  I see people at the airport when it is below 40 degrees and they are dressed in clothes appropriate for 80 degrees and wonder if it is worth it being so miserable waiting for the courtesy van.  No way to end a vacation  At a warm location it is easy to dress light and then change in to the colder reality clothes once you are at the airport.  Even slipping on a pair of thick tights/leggings when wearing a long skirt with help deal with chilly, drafty planes and the harsh reality of landing back at home base

if the flight is super long ; trans-Pacific, NA to Africa, I take a pair of panties and a bra and change half way thru flight / layover so I feel fresh.  A little bottle of Gold Bond or cornstarch powder comes in handy as well.  Same with panty liners.  Compression sleeves are a yes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1