First time with MSC, Yacht Club Questions

Greygooser

Hey folks. Having been in the Haven "lite" on NCL (smaller ships, no dedicated Haven restaurant/bar) and hearing great things about the YC, I have finally taken the plunge and booked an inside Yacht Club stateroom on a 7 day sailing on the MSC Meravigilia this June. I did it through an MSC concierge, which went smoothly. I'm looking forward to my first MSC cruise, and have been trying to do as much research as possible. I do however have a few questions for those experienced in the YC.

-From what I've read, the dress code in the YC is casual during the day, but no shorts/flip flops allowed during the evening. That's totally fine, just curious if that's what happens in practice.

-While on the topic of the YC restaurant. Does anyone think it's worth it to get a specialty dining package if you're in YC? It seems the YC restaurant will have better food, but curious what others think.
-As far as embarkation, I see the YC guests get whisked by others. My embarkation time is 11am out of NYC, with check-in closing at 1pm (2 hours before we sail). Does it make sense to arrive earlier? I was going to take the train/bus down from Boston to get there before noon so I can walk right on the boat, not sure if that's a good plan.

-Finally, I'm told the YC get's different Dailies then the rest of the ship. I have yet to find any posted. I'm really just curious of all the operating hours of the YC exclusive facilities, but it would be nice to see a copy if it's around in case there's any other relevant info.

Thanks in advance for any insight. Very excited to be trying the YC experience and MSC in general!

• Like 1

Welcome!  At the risk of stirring the already simmering pot, it is strongly requested that shorts/flip flops are not to be worn in the evening.  The Maitre D' can, at his/her discretion, ask someone presenting in such to go back and change.  (Yes, we've seen this happen).

No need to get a specialty package if this is your first YC rodeo.  After a few times in the YC you might tire of the menu, but for your first I'd just stick with what's included.

You set sail at 3pm?  There's NO WAY, as in ZERO WAY, I'd get there on a bus/train as late as 11am.  Too much room for something to go wrong and that ship is sailing with or without you... Since you are in Yacht Club you can (and likely would want) to get there as early as 9am. You might have to wait around a bit having a glass of prosecco, but better to be early.

Yes, the Dailies are different as they show the times for the YC TopSail, dining, etc.  Otherwise it's all the same.

• Like 4

I found dining in the YC; folks were more nicely dressed than in the MDR.  No shorts or flip flops at night...think country club casual.  I don't think you need a specialty dining package.  We were very happy with the options offered in YC.  Remember that if you like your waiter on the first night, you can request to be seated in their section every night.  If you decide to do a specialty restaurant, it can be easily arranged with the concierge.  I recall the Top Sail Lounge was open until 1:00 am.  You will receive a special daily activity sheet just for YC.  Just one word of warning...be prepared to be pampered. 

• Like 3

We saw some people (men) in dressy shorts in the evening (not embarkation day) with button down, long sleeved shirts and closed casual shoes. They weren’t turned away but since it’s written up as not allowed, most people followed the guidelines. Women, including myself had no problem with sandals in the flip-flop style (not shower shoes). 

You can arrive early and wait in a holding area if boarding hasn’t begun. 

I concur with others about the fi I g package. 

• Like 1

I’ve cruised in the YC six times (Caribbean) and wear shorts, with a nice collared shirt, in the dining room for all three meals, except for elegant night when I bite the bullet and wear long pants. I’ve never been turned away.

• Like 2

Close to booking YC this May. I'm considering the 'all in' pkg which includes alcohol and wifi. However, some posts seem to indicate YC already includes these amenities in the base price. Please help! (First time MSC cruisers.)

15 minutes ago, loriab8 said:

Close to booking YC this May. I'm considering the 'all in' pkg which includes alcohol and wifi. However, some posts seem to indicate YC already includes these amenities in the base price. Please help! (First time MSC cruisers.)

Yacht Club gets a drink package (Premium Extra Drink Package) and a Wi-Fi package (Premium Internet package/Browse - 2 devices Unlimited Internet Package) included. The promos change but even without selecting the promo, you will get the packages. 

Sometimes, the price changes depending on the promo you select so try with and without the promos or try different promos and select the better deal. 

2 hours ago, iambumbo said:

Since shorts seem to be at least disfavored for YC dining, how about jeans? Acceptable or should I stick with khakis and other dressy pants? We are doing a Med cruise if that makes a difference...

In the Med a lot of Europeans will "dress up" for dinner especially on formal nights, you will see long evening dresses and men in suits . For my husband jeans are first and last night only while un[packing and packed for home.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2023 at 11:31 AM, Greygooser said:

Having been in the Haven "lite" on NCL (smaller ships, no dedicated Haven restaurant/bar) and hearing great things about the YC... I do however have a few questions for those experienced in the YC.

We also moved from the smaller NCL ship's Haven category to MSC YC. One of the biggest surprises for us that we did not see mentioned in the boards was that YC1 cabins (the "regular" YC balcony cabins) had a bed that was really 2 twin beds converted to a single, larger bed. The king-sized beds that we had in the Haven did not exist. (Might be different in a YC Royal Suite or Duplex -- I have no experience in those cabins.) They do tie the beds together at our request but the gap is still there. We always wind up with various body parts "stuck" in the cavity between the two mattresses, and that may be your experience as well, depending on how you use your bed. We always miss our bed at home when extricating ourselves from that crevice. Does it stop us from booking and loving MSC YC? No way! It just gives us one reason to not hate disembarkation day. 🙂