Formal Nights

Lacinda

While NCL has no formal nights anymore - there will be a couple of days that they call Dress up or Not nights.

If my memory serves me correctly and it is getting aged out they usually designate one of the main dining rooms for those who want to dress up to use.

I will know better after my next NCL cruise in late April.

Dennis

16 minutes ago, Urban trekker said:

While NCL has no formal nights anymore - there will be a couple of days that they call Dress up or Not nights.

None that I can recall over 23 nights on the Gem in January/February.   

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Lacinda said:

What days are the formal nights typically held on a NCL cruise?

You are free to dress up any night. There will be photographers out every night to take your cruise-memory pictures. NCL embraces Freestyle cruising. Shorts are allowed in all restaurants for all meals except Le Bistro and Ocean Blue/Bayamos/Palomar where gents are asked to wear long pants (jeans or dockers are fine). Also on the smaller, older ships (and the Epic), shorts are not allowed in the Aft Main Dining Room.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Urban trekker said:

If my memory serves me correctly and it is getting aged out they usually designate one of the main dining rooms for those who want to dress up to use.

I will know better after my next NCL cruise in late April.

Dennis

No, NCL does not designate one of the dining rooms for those who want to dress up.

The only difference in dining room dress codes is that one of the MDRs, and one or two specialty restaurants, depending on which ship you're on may prohibit shorts at dinner. 

• Like 1

The following night after embarkation (the second day of our cruise) has been "Dress Up or Not Night" on our last 3 NCL cruises. Sometimes there's another night they call "Date Night" where passengers are encouraged to dress up and have their photo taken, but there are photographers in the atrium and often throughout the ship every night. We enjoy dressing up a bit, while other folks prefer to remain in casual vacay mode so, whatever you do, it will be fine. By all means, dress up if you like.

• Like 4

12 day on the Getaway in January and I would say 85% of the ladies dressed up to a decently high standard for dinner in Taste. But only 25% of the men did so. Now that is not to say the men violated any suggested dress standard, they simply did not follow their ladies in dressing up to the level of the linen table cloth and napkin, uniformed staff and overall ambiance of Taste.

• Like 3

We always dress for dinner, in that I prefer to wear a dress or skirt for dinner after a full day of travel/sightseeing or just pool time.  On our last NCL cruise people tended to dress a bit more "formally" (long pants for men, smart casual for ladies) in the specialty restaurants  and MDR.  On our last cruise with Celebrity there were two dressier nights and we did see that some took it up a notch with glitter, sparkle and even a few men in tuxes.  All in good fun and all about what you are comfortable with!

• Like 1

The formal night question gates asked at least once a month, along with the standard answers. 

Having said that, I'll give my standard answer. If people want to waste valuable suitcase space packing tuxedos, suits, dresses and ball gowns, go for it. It's a free country...or at least it used to be.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

12 day on the Getaway in January and I would say 85% of the ladies dressed up to a decently high standard for dinner in Taste. But only 25% of the men did so. Now that is not to say the men violated any suggested dress standard, they simply did not follow their ladies in dressing up to the level of the linen table cloth and napkin, uniformed staff and overall ambiance of Taste.

How do you "violate a dress standard" in Taste that says "shorts are allowed in all restaurants [with linen table cloths and a real napkin] for all meals except dinners in Ocean Blue and Le Bistro"???

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

How do you "violate a dress standard" in Taste that says "shorts are allowed in all restaurants [with linen table cloths and a real napkin] for all meals except dinners in Ocean Blue and Le Bistro"???

Reread what I posted. No one violated the suggested attire in Taste. What I said is that the majority of males that came with well dressed females did not live up to the tone set by their ladies. Not hard to understand if you will read it again.

What ship will you be on? Ones that have both Taste/Savor (same exact restaurant, one is on the left, the other on the right) as well as the Manhattan room (one deck higher) - the Manhattan room is more 'fancy', simply because they require pants to be worn. If you don't want to see folks in casual vacation attire, stick with that one. 

But dress as fancy as you want whenever you want. Everyone will look and oooh and aahhhh over you and tell you how lovely you look as they go by in their flippety flops. To each their own.

• Like 1