special menus? what are the options ?

glittergal1

What "special " menus can you request in the MDR ?  Vegetarian/ vegan , Indian menu ,  , Gluten free Childrens etc  And if they have these special menus do you need to pre request for dietary requirements? or can you request to see these menus each day? 

I mainly eat  and prefer Vegetable based  meals and these were really limited on our last cruise with P&O (the worst choice of any cruise ive been on so far) so to have more choice of dishes to choose from would be great , I will on occasion  eat chicken dishes if there isnt a Veg dish I like as I dont like blue cheese and for some reason vegetarian dishes often have blue cheese in them 

They gave me a menu marked Vegetarian but it was really Vegan. There's a big difference  .... their faces were priceless when I asked for cheese to be added (guess I'm more of a kosher dairy person) 

I've heard of a Vegan Indian menu but haven't seen it

• Like 1

Each menu has a  vegan/vegitarian dish.    Look for the V next to the dish listed.  I've found most of them to be very good.  They have gotten better.

Ask the head waiter the first day.  They will give you the menu for the following day and you can see if there is anything you like.   They do try to make you happy.    

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I absolutely love their vegetarian menus on Princess .. they are surprisingly good!  Even though I love love love blue cheese, I haven’t seen any of their vegetarian dishes prepared with it.  

so do they have a specific separate Vegetarian menu? and do you ask to just see this each day or do you need to pre order it?

19 minutes ago, glittergal1 said:

so do they have a specific separate Vegetarian menu? and do you ask to just see this each day or do you need to pre order it?

I've had a separate vegetarian menu (its really vegan) several cruises but then I also have an assigned table / waiter. They just bring me that one. And there's no need to pre-order. Of course I haven't been on a ship since December 2022 which is before the most recent changes

34 minutes ago, glittergal1 said:

They might but I am just impressed of their vegetarian options on the regular MDR menu.  I do eat poultry and fish / seafood, but I've loved the vegetarian options, too.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, glittergal1 said:

What "special " menus can you request in the MDR ?  Vegetarian/ vegan , Indian menu ,  , Gluten free Childrens etc  And if they have these special menus do you need to pre request for dietary requirements? or can you request to see these menus each day? 

I mainly eat  and prefer Vegetable based  meals and these were really limited on our last cruise with P&O (the worst choice of any cruise ive been on so far) so to have more choice of dishes to choose from would be great , I will on occasion  eat chicken dishes if there isnt a Veg dish I like as I dont like blue cheese and for some reason vegetarian dishes often have blue cheese in them 

If you think P&O were bad, Princess will disappoint you, especially their Indian menu !

3 hours ago, glittergal1 said:

We love vegetable based Indian food, and requested it, and the chefs will happily make some for you.  The Indian food they serve on the menu is not good at all, lacking heat and flavour.  Speak to one of the restaurant managers who will contact a chef to let them know of your preferences. Our meals were flavourful and delicious.  

2 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

We love vegetable based Indian food, and requested it, and the chefs will happily make some for you.  The Indian food they serve on the menu is not good at all, lacking heat and flavour.  Speak to one of the restaurant managers who will contact a chef to let them know of your preferences. Our meals were flavourful and delicious.  

Hmmm - not quite sure how easy that would be, although you seem to have managed it.

A lamb jalfrezi ? Tandoori Chicken from a Tandoori oven ? Mutter Paneer ?

12 minutes ago, wowzz said:

So, what did you get ?

Masala and Kurma of course, Aloo Gobi (lots of heat).  There were dishes which we didn't know the names of, and were served Thali style.  Something we liked, we would request additional, and it would be made the next day.  I can say we consumed generous amounts of cauliflower, eggplant and okra.

1 minute ago, startedwithamouse said:

Masala and Kurma of course, Aloo Gobi (lots of heat).  There were dishes which we didn't know the names of, and were served Thali style.  Something we liked, we would request additional, and it would be made the next day.  I can say we consumed generous amounts of cauliflower, eggplant and okra.

Sounds excellent,  and, dare I say it, more adventurous than most Americans would eat! 

Us Brits fortunately have lots of Indian/Sri Lankan/Afghan/Bangladeshi restaurants to choose from.

To be clear, you ordered these meals in the MDR for the next night?  Sounds fantastic !

16 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Sounds excellent,  and, dare I say it, more adventurous than most Americans would eat! 

Us Brits fortunately have lots of Indian/Sri Lankan/Afghan/Bangladeshi restaurants to choose from.

To be clear, you ordered these meals in the MDR for the next night?  Sounds fantastic !

Yes, MDR nights when we didn't eat in the Crown Grill.  

Agree, it's truly mind blowing seeing the overly processed meals, breads and fried fast food type items in the MDR by adults who should know better.  Easy to see why obesity is a thing, as those food types take years off of one's life.

Edited by startedwithamouse

glittergirl1-

You May speak to someone onboard that you want to order ahead,but that limits you ,if you change your mind on venues.

Examle: dinner in the dining room.  Between appetizers and main course there is usually about five items that you can choose from . Of course you can always ask for any vegetable of your choosing or more of something to make it an entree size.  In the dining room for breakfast, lunch,  & dinner there is a V next to everything that’s vegetarian and a GF for gluten-free items . Lots of people post dining room menus ,usually on their Live from posts on cruise critic.

In the buffet  you can pretty much figure it out ,but if you have concerns you can enlist one of the chefs and they’ll point out things for you. They usually do this more for people with allergies, but “they “ will figure out vegetarian options for you.

If you booked with a travel agent or if you can sign into the app ,I do believe you can mention it in the special dietary and note it  there and they will help you out ,once you’re on board .

• Like 1

5 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

As I stated in my post we love vegetable based Indian food. Very easy, we asked them to surprise us.

On the Sapphire for 33 days and that was our eperience also.  Once the head water got to know us and  realized we liked Indian, Thai and Phillipine type food she would constantly check to see what was being prepared in the crew quarters and we always had suprises bought to our table.  Quite a number of vegetable and fish dishes.

Edited by waltd
  • Like 3