Alaska Cruise May 2024

Tahina cruising

My husband and I are doing an Alaskan cruise in May of next year. What should we expect as far as weather? Will it be cold on the ship? Should I plan on jeans and sweaters/sweatshirts or is it warmer? I’ve read it’s the driest month in Alaska. I’ve read to wear layers. Any input would be very helpful. I’m so excited!! 

The ships can be cold inside so be sure to plan for a sweater or wrap for around the ship.  Plan to layer two, three, four layers so choose clothing that is interchangeable.  A lot may depend on the cruise line you have chosen and whether you want to dress up for an upscale dining experience.  Jeans are fine during the day on all ships.  Evening may be smart casual.  Look at the standards set by your cruise line.  

You may have rain so plan to bring a lightweight rain jacket (and maybe pants) for your outer layer on a rainy or cold and windy day.  Fleece works well for a jacket and is not as bulky as a sweatshirt.  You can always buy a sweatshirt in Alaska.  Long sleeves, short sleeves, being an extra pair of walking shoes with soles that can grip the surface on a walking trail or a wet surface.  Comfy shoes for around the ship and comfy shoes for evening.  You may want gloves and a warm hat for glacier viewing.

Don’t overpack, do coordinate your wardrobe.   You can wear things several times.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, oaktreerb said:

You may have rain so plan to bring a lightweight rain jacket (and maybe pants) for your outer layer on a rainy or cold and windy day.  Fleece works well for a jacket and is not as bulky as a sweatshirt.  You can always buy a sweatshirt in Alaska.  Long sleeves, short sleeves, being an extra pair of walking shoes with soles that can grip the surface on a walking trail or a wet surface.  Comfy shoes for around the ship and comfy shoes for evening.  You may want gloves and a warm hat for glacier viewing.

Don’t overpack, do coordinate your wardrobe.   You can wear things several times.  

Great advice!

• Like 1

I've been on three cruises to Alaska and have noticed that people dress much more casually, even in the evening and even on formal/gala/chic/whatever nights, than on other cruises.  I think people want to pack warmer clothes, hiking shoes, coats etc. and perhaps don't have room or weight left in their suitcase for 'dressy' clothes.  So if you don't want to pack dressier clothes, you really don't need to (unless you're on Cunard).

• Thanks 1

Driest month for an area of Alaska averaging nearly 160 inches of rain/year, means you will still see lots of rain.  Water repellent mid-thigh jacket, rain pants for whale watching, and  gloves capable of both warmth and camera operation, are highly recommended.

As a many time cruiser to Alaska and hobby photographer, I carry a poncho in my daypack/camera bag.  If your camera is not highly water resistant, you need someplace to keep it out of the rain between shots.  The daypack is needed to hold the clothing layers you remove as the day warms unless you want to carry clothing in your arms.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for the replies! We will be on Royal Caribbean so I’m not concerned about dressing up for dinner. I’ve only ever taken Caribbean cruises so I wasn’t sure how cold it would be on the ship. I plan on bringing layers and waterproof items for our excursions. 

On 3/17/2023 at 2:21 PM, Tahina cruising said:

Thank you for the replies! We will be on Royal Caribbean so I’m not concerned about dressing up for dinner. I’ve only ever taken Caribbean cruises so I wasn’t sure how cold it would be on the ship. I plan on bringing layers and waterproof items for our excursions. 

Hi there.  We are also planning a cruise on Royal Caribbean for May 2024.  There are so many itineraries and I am so confused.  What ship are you going on?  I'm thinking either Ovation or Radiance but can't decide.  

1 hour ago, tj_shopper said:

Hi there.  We are also planning a cruise on Royal Caribbean for May 2024.  There are so many itineraries and I am so confused.  What ship are you going on?  I'm thinking either Ovation or Radiance but can't decide.  

Grab a book such as Alaska by Cruiseship by Anne Vipond or read extensively on each port. They are different and offer different shore excursions. Also look carefully at time in port and make sure you can do the shore excursions you want to. So many people pick a ship with out looking at times in port and then they can't do what they want or pick ports with things they don't want. This is very different than the Caribbean. You want as many ports and glaciers if possible. Not all glaciers are the same. Some pick Glacier Bay as the #1 choice and Endicott Arm as the least desirable. Hubbard can be iced out in May and so can Tracy Arm.

Lots of things to consider before you pick a ship and a cruise line. Pick based on ports, glaciers and times and in port.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tj_shopper said:

Hi! We are going on Quantum of the seas leaving May 13 out of Seattle. On my birthday 😊. I prefer the ships that have at least the Promenade or Esplanade? For me Radiance is too small but that’s just my preference. Ovation would be bigger and have more things to do and more restaurants. I picked more on ship, departure port and date. I hope this helps!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Coral said:

Grab a book such as Alaska by Cruiseship by Anne Vipond or read extensively on each port. They are different and offer different shore excursions. Also look carefully at time in port and make sure you can do the shore excursions you want to. So many people pick a ship with out looking at times in port and then they can't do what they want or pick ports with things they don't want. This is very different than the Caribbean. You want as many ports and glaciers if possible. Not all glaciers are the same. Some pick Glacier Bay as the #1 choice and Endicott Arm as the least desirable. Hubbard can be iced out in May and so can Tracy Arm.

Lots of things to consider before you pick a ship and a cruise line. Pick based on ports, glaciers and times and in port.

Great advice! I have never been to Alaska and have researched each port by watching YouTube videos for each port. Also googling weather info and info I see on the videos. Our first option was the last cruise of the season. Everything I’ve read and watched says May should have better weather. Even if just slightly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tahina cruising said:

Great advice! I have never been to Alaska and have researched each port by watching YouTube videos for each port. Also googling weather info and info I see on the videos. Our first option was the last cruise of the season. Everything I’ve read and watched says May should have better weather. Even if just slightly.

Historically - May has the least amount of rain and every month later has more rain. September (especially mid September and forward) and October have the potential for the worst possible weather. Think strong winds and a ton of rain. Though, it is Alaska and anything can happen.

• Like 2