Jeans…Jeans…Jeans?

Lol. Many of the attitudes displayed here are why I sailed with this line once, and not again. While the food, staff, service and MOST guests were great, there were just a few too many with this attitude.  To me, that is not worth $1000/day. While I can dress for dinner, it does not hinder MY vacation one bit if the table next to me is in jeans. Who cares? To each their own

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Missymssy said:

Lol. Many of the attitudes displayed here are why I sailed with this line once, and not again. While the food, staff, service and MOST guests were great, there were just a few too many with this attitude.  To me, that is not worth $1000/day. While I can dress for dinner, it does not hinder MY vacation one bit if the table next to me is in jeans. Who cares? To each their own

I’m with you,  I dress very nice, but I could care less about the person next to me.  It doesn’t effect my meal, actually it could be quite entertaining.  It’s not like those folks are coming home with me.  I follow just look like you made an effort! 

• Like 1

I respectfully disagree, what others around us does make a difference to our experience. We are spending alot of money to be in an environment that is special, not like going to the pizza place on the corner at home.

Not expecting everyone to dress formally, just smart casual is fine.

Seabourn has switched to jeans being allowed in the MDR. Here is what a recent poster said:

I will never get over Seabourn’s current no dress standards in the MDR policy. It means that characters in tee shirts, old droopy jeans/trousers, open toed sandals and even backpacks turn up for dinners. It also means that you may have to wear blinders and avoid the louder characters among the crowd. If only we could work out a deal for different dining rooms for these folks.

Is that what everyone wants to see on Regent? I hope not.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, labonnevie said:

I respectfully disagree, what others around us does make a difference to our experience. We are spending alot of money to be in an environment that is special, not like going to the pizza place on the corner at home.

Not expecting everyone to dress formally, just smart casual is fine.

Totally agree.  It's absolutely about the "experience."   We have sailed on Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, NCL, HAL, Carnival as well as Regent.  Enjoyed all of them, but the experience was different.  Each attracted a different type of passenger.  Nothing wrong with any of them, but we have gravitated to Regent because at our age we like the quieter and more luxurious experience we find.  And that includes how people dress.  If I want to be on a ship where people wander into the MDR in t-shirts and shorts or jeans then I will sail on a cruise line where that is acceptable.  I don't want that.  But really what is shows is a level of respect.  Respect for the cruise line, the crew, and the fellow passengers.  If someone violates the dress code and claims "why should what I wear affect you," it shows a lack of respect for everyone.  It shows an attitude of "hey, the world's all about me and I can do what I want."  Well, the world is NOT about any ONE, it's about EVERY one, especially on a 700 foot ship at sea.  

And the idea that one isn't judged by his appearance is pure rubbish.  We judge people, ALL OF US, by first impressions. And the FIRST impression is appearance.  I was a commercial pilot.  I was required to wear a uniform, be clean shaven, and neatly groomed hair.  Now, NONE of those things affected my ability to fly an airplane.  But I guarantee that anyone here who says "what I wear shouldn't matter" is full of b.s.  If they saw me sit in the Captain's seat of their flight wearing a t-shirt that says "born do die" and a pair of cut off jeans and flip flops with long unwashed hair and a beard, I'm betting they'd run off the plane like a scared rabbit.  

As attributed to Mark Twain "Clothes make a man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

And there are cruise lines for every type of person.  If you prefer a ship where people dress up, there are lines, such as Cunard and Silversea, that are known to have more formal dress codes.  There are other lines, such as Seabourne and Sea Dream, that are known for their relaxed dress onboard.

Choose the line that suits your preference.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

Totally agree.  It's absolutely about the "experience."   We have sailed on Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, NCL, HAL, Carnival as well as Regent.  Enjoyed all of them, but the experience was different.  Each attracted a different type of passenger.  Nothing wrong with any of them, but we have gravitated to Regent because at our age we like the quieter and more luxurious experience we find.  And that includes how people dress.  If I want to be on a ship where people wander into the MDR in t-shirts and shorts or jeans then I will sail on a cruise line where that is acceptable.  I don't want that.  But really what is shows is a level of respect.  Respect for the cruise line, the crew, and the fellow passengers.  If someone violates the dress code and claims "why should what I wear affect you," it shows a lack of respect for everyone.  It shows an attitude of "hey, the world's all about me and I can do what I want."  Well, the world is NOT about any ONE, it's about EVERY one, especially on a 700 foot ship at sea.  

And the idea that one isn't judged by his appearance is pure rubbish.  We judge people, ALL OF US, by first impressions. And the FIRST impression is appearance.  I was a commercial pilot.  I was required to wear a uniform, be clean shaven, and neatly groomed hair.  Now, NONE of those things affected my ability to fly an airplane.  But I guarantee that anyone here who says "what I wear shouldn't matter" is full of b.s.  If they saw me sit in the Captain's seat of their flight wearing a t-shirt that says "born do die" and a pair of cut off jeans and flip flops with long unwashed hair and a beard, I'm betting they'd run off the plane like a scared rabbit.  

As attributed to Mark Twain "Clothes make a man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."

Most eloquently put - it's all about respect.

• Like 3

On 3/15/2023 at 1:40 PM, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

It’s either the policy or not.  That’s my issue. No sense to discuss. 

Totally agree, Sheila; and what is the definition of "acceptable" jeans? Tattered bottoms? Yes or no? Needs to be policy

• Like 1

But money spent does not guarantee anything!! Just because a person can afford the fare does not mean they will be a nice, well dressed person unfortunately.

The money we just spent for our 32 night Splendor cruise did not get us nice passengers for the first 14 days, especially the guy who went on a rant with all kinds of foul language because we had dared to sit on his chaise that he had reserved for 3 hours!! There was no respect for my wife and I!!! I think Covid has made some people very grumpy and rude if things don't go their way. Management also commented on it being the worst cruise for passenger behaviour ever experienced. Luckily the next 2 cruises improved to what you would expect of a Regent cruise. Dress code was still pushed to the limit sometimes though!!