Jeans…Jeans…Jeans?

We are onboard Splendor. Last night I counted at least 1/2 dozen men in jeans. Several in Prime 7.  I have no problem, however I thought the policy was NO jeans. No one said anything in any restaurant. The night before we were in CR and more men than last night were in jeans. . If this is permitted, please make it the new policy. My DH has nice jeans also. He would love to wear them in the evening, also. But, he respects the rules. 
so… what’s the decision?

sheila

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pcardad said:

Against dress code - absolutely. If they have a rule, they should enforce it. If they are not going to enforce, why have it?

Absolutely agree. I have no problems with the dress code - my husband always calls me a goody two shoes as I don't break the rules 😂 but if they are not going to be self enforced or enforced by the staff it is really not worth having them.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

We are onboard Splendor. Last night I counted at least 1/2 dozen men in jeans. Several in Prime 7.  I have no problem, however I thought the policy was NO jeans. No one said anything in any restaurant. The night before we were in CR and more men than last night were in jeans. . If this is permitted, please make it the new policy. My DH has nice jeans also. He would love to wear them in the evening, also. But, he respects the rules. 
so… what’s the decision?

sheila

Keep to the dress code and hold your head up high whilst some others can look as if they have just come out of the garden.

It is difficult for staff as they do not get back up from head office as they do not want to upset guests.

• Like 6

I am NOT going to weigh in on the dress code here. But perhaps a little history will help calm some folks down about this.
Historically some tailors in Genoa, Italy devised a type of serge cloth that was particularly durable. They made sails, trousers, and other things out of them.  The name 'Genoa' is the origin of the word that became 'jeans'.
Soon some tailors in Nimes, France decided to copy this type of serge.  The name Nimes is the origin of what we now call 'denim', i.e. de Nimes.
So barring jeans and denim in the dress code is in some sense barring Italian and French design.
Or course, Levi Strauss used this type of cloth for his famous "Levis" in the mid-19th century in California.  And he was a German-Jewish immigrant.
And another name for this fabric is 'dungaree', which is Hindi.
So the dress code restrictions are even more multi-cultural than is usually known.
---
Although I am sticking to my promise of not weighing in on the dress code in the ships, I will mention that I have lectured 1st year physics at the University of Toronto to 1200 students in a huge auditorium while I was wearing Levis or Wranglers.

Edited by DavidTheWonderer
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

So sad people who can spend $1000+ a day but can't afford to wear decent clothes, I am with John about how people should dress.  A gentleman should dress like one as should a lady when in a fine dining restaurant on a high end ship. .  You are not going to Denny's.  

• Like 7

9 hours ago, DavidTheWonderer said:

I am NOT going to weigh in on the dress code here. But perhaps a little history will help calm some folks down about this.
Historically some tailors in Genoa, Italy devised a type of serge cloth that was particularly durable. They made sails, trousers, and other things out of them.  The name 'Genoa' is the origin of the word that became 'jeans'.
Soon some tailors in Nimes, France decided to copy this type of serge.  The name Nimes is the origin of what we now call 'denim', i.e. de Nimes.
So barring jeans and denim in the dress code is in some sense barring Italian and French design.
Or course, Levi Strauss used this type of cloth for his famous "Levis" in the mid-19th century in California.  And he was a German-Jewish immigrant.
So the dress code restrictions are even more multi-cultural than is usually known.
---
Although I am sticking to my promise of not weighing in on the dress code in the ships, I will mention that I have lectured 1st year physics at the University of Toronto to 1200 students in a huge auditorium while I was wearing Levis or Wranglers.

You still can't come in 😁

15 hours ago, DavidTheWonderer said:

---

So can we infer that banning jeans might be considered "Racist"????🥃

• Haha 2

I was informed by a restaurant manager on another luxury cruise line that a guest had taken legal proceedings against the company for being refused entry in jeans and therefore was not strictly enforced but requested...just for info

6 minutes ago, gazzer159 said:

I was informed by a restaurant manager on another luxury cruise line that a guest had taken legal proceedings against the company for being refused entry in jeans and therefore was not strictly enforced but requested...just for info

If corporate were concerned about being sued, they would never turn people away. But as they do it inconsistently, I am going with some GM's are less concerned than others with maintaining the high standards Regent has been known for.

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, gazzer159 said:

I was informed by a restaurant manager on another luxury cruise line that a guest had taken legal proceedings against the company for being refused entry in jeans... 

The type of person who would do this is simply deplorable.  I hope that the line banned him from all future cruises.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pcardad said:

Except he can as the rule is apparently not being enforced with the current (unknown) GM on Splendor. Who is it, by the way?

I'm not sure but I'm on for lunch in Funchal on the 6th April. 

I'll be asking a few difficult questions 😁

8 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

I'm not sure but I'm on for lunch in Funchal on the 6th April. 

I'll be asking a few difficult questions 😁

If you are on a guest pass it will be interesting to see what responses you get...

As long as they are clean and not offensive, I personally don't care what anyone wears. But I admit I'd probably do a double take with a sweat pants/hoodie in Chartreuse... especially given the typical Regent demographic!

Although to be honest I find nice shorts less casual than jeans, so if they allow jeans they should allow nice shorts... but that's starting down another path.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/15/2023 at 11:40 AM, Pcardad said:

Against dress code - absolutely. If they have a rule, they should enforce it. If they are not going to enforce, why have it?

While I agree with this sentiment, it seems that cruise line "rules" are nowadays treated more as guidelines - by both passengers and crew. Recall the recent discussion about the new chair hog rule and its enforcement.  

It seems OP's husband is in a bit of a quandary since he believes rules are to be followed yet would also like to wear jeans.  One way he could look at it is that if a rule isn't enforced - it's not really a rule and he can join the jeans gang guilt-free.  The reality is that there are "written" rules and there are the "real" rules.  For example... a 60mph speed limit is a "written" rule, but we all know that the "real" rule (the enforced one) is 5-7 mph higher.   If dress code is important to someone, they need to seek out a cruise line where the "written" and "real" rule is the same.  Perhaps Cunard or Silversea?

• Like 1

On a recent Splendor cruise we never saw anyone wearing jeans at dinner.  Since it was a Caribbean cruise and we anticipated hot weather we simply didn’t bring jeans with us.  I just think they’re uncomfortable in warm weather.  Allowing them in the evening is a slippery slope.   We were at the Ritz main dining room having dinner one night when a couple arrived wearing jeans, sneakers, muscle shirts and baseball caps.  Our waiter informed us that they  couldn’t be turned away because they were hotel guests.  Don’t want to see this kind of thing on a luxury cruise ship.

• Like 3

Oh boy, another dress code thread. Hopefully it gets locked soon. 

Am I the only person who could care less what others wear or do? It has no affect on me or my cruise, I mind my own business and enjoy the wonderful food and service.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1