Jeans…Jeans…Jeans?

10 hours ago, WNcruiser said:

Oh boy, another dress code thread. Hopefully it gets locked soon. 

Am I the only person who could care less what others wear or do? It has no affect on me or my cruise, I mind my own business and enjoy the wonderful food and service.

So if I decide to wear a speedo an no shirt since I would be coming do dinner from the pool, that would be ok with you? 😏

1 hour ago, papaflamingo said:

So if I decide to wear a speedo an no shirt since I would be coming do dinner from the pool, that would be ok with you? 😏

Absolutely. Does it affect my food or service? No. I don’t choose to judge or criticize others on my cruise. I worry about myself 😊

• Like 3

1 hour ago, papaflamingo said:

As long as you do not sit at my table.  My mother had a pool at her house.  Her rule was you must wear a shirt when you eat - even poolside.  That is how I was raised.  You must wear a shirt at my table - even on the beach.

• Like 3

There are some cruise lines with dress codes allowing jeans in the evening. Celebrity comes to mind. So some guests don’t bother to read the Regent code, have been on one of those other likes, and assume all codes are alike. They aren’t, and applicable codes should be followed.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, pappy1022 said:

Maybe some people stop reading the rules after the first sentence. 😀

I think some like to get on board a cruise ship and behave as if they were at home.

That's ok at home but not respectful to other guests.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

I think some like to get on board a cruise ship and behave as if they were at home.

That's ok at home but not respectful to other guests.

Agreed. Anyone getting on board should do 2 things...

1. Follow the rules.
2. Not have expectations other than the rules.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Agreed. Anyone getting on board should do 2 things...

1. Follow the rules.
2. Not have expectations other than the rules.

I'd probably modify #2 to be...

2. Don't expect everyone to follow the rules or for all rules to be enforced.

To expect otherwise will just lead to disappointment.  I sometimes see people post about how someone behaving counter to the rules so upset them that it wound up ruining their cruise.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mnocket said:

I'd probably modify #2 to be...

2. Don't expect everyone to follow the rules or for all rules to be enforced.

To expect otherwise will just lead to disappointment.  I sometimes see people post about how someone behaving counter to the rules so upset them that it wound up ruining their cruise.

I hear ya...they need to live their own lives. We also have the people who think that Regent's rules don't go far enough and people should do more. When you pay for my trip, you can try to tell me what to do...until then, MYOB.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, HotRoot said:

As long as you do not sit at my table.  My mother had a pool at her house.  Her rule was you must wear a shirt when you eat - even poolside.  That is how I was raised.  You must wear a shirt at my table - even on the beach.

So you have a dress code for dining at your table: must wear shirts at the table.  I assume you let people know about the rule.  And I assume you enforce it.  If someone shows up at your table without a shirt, they don't just get to sit and eat.  Because it is your table, your rules.  The rules should be followed.  Exceptions should not be tolerated by you or the other guests at your table, because that person is breaking the rule.

So if a cruise line has a dress code, doesn't that mean that the rules should likewise be followed?

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

So if a cruise line has a dress code, doesn't that mean that the rules should likewise be followed?

Should?  Yes they should.  Are they? Not entirely.

The difference between your examples is that in the first case the "shirts at the table" rule is strictly enforced by the mother - and therefore strictly obeyed.  In the case of cruise line dress codes, the rules are not strictly enforced and therefore are not strictly obeyed.  

Should cruise lines follow the mother's example and insist that the rules are strictly adhered to?  imho, yes.  However, for whatever reason many cruise lines seem to disagree - at least in practice.  If strict adherence to the rules is important to someone, they really should look beyond the rules themselves and consider whether there is strict enforcement.  If there is not strict enforcement, they should not expect there to be strict adherence - and more importantly, they should not let it disrupt their enjoyment of the cruise.

14 minutes ago, mnocket said:

Should?  Yes they should.  Are they? Not entirely.

The difference between your examples is that in the first case the "shirts at the table" rule is strictly enforced by the mother - and therefore strictly obeyed.  In the case of cruise line dress codes, the rules are not strictly enforced and therefore are not strictly obeyed.  

Should cruise lines follow the mother's example and insist that the rules are strictly adhered to?  imho, yes.  However, for whatever reason many cruise lines seem to disagree - at least in practice.  If strict adherence to the rules is important to someone, they really should look beyond the rules themselves and consider whether there is strict enforcement.  If there is not strict enforcement, they should not expect there to be strict adherence - and more importantly, they should not let it disrupt their enjoyment of the cruise.

I agree with you.  It is not the duty of the other passengers to enforce the dress codes.  It it the cruise line.

If the cruise line, for whatever reason ("We don't want to anger our paying guests" or "We don't want to put our staff in the position of enforcing the rules") doesn't wish to enforce the rules, then don't have the rules.

There are some cruise lines, even luxury cruise lines, that have very lax dress codes on their ships.  There are others that are known to be more "formal".  Passengers, in part, should choose a cruise line with the dress code that suits them best.  But ultimately, the cruise line enforces the rule.

But there is some accountability on the part of the passengers, who, knowing the rules, choose to flaunt them.  

• Like 3

Everyone knows what the rules are when they pay for their cruise (if we assume they can all read). 
If the cruise line does not enforce the rules, I am not getting what I paid for. 
It would be no different than if, after boarding, I was asked to pay for my included drinks. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, WNcruiser said:

Absolutely. Does it affect my food or service? No. I don’t choose to judge or criticize others on my cruise. I worry about myself 😊

Sure....right... I'm guessing if you saw me in a speedo you'd lose your appetite. 🤣

But be honest, would you really like to have a person you've never met before join your table with nothing other than a speedo on in a restaurant as nice as the Compass Rose or Prime 7?  

As for not judging others, your comment "Oh boy, another dress code thread. Hopefully it gets locked soon," is pretty judgmental of those who do prefer a dress code is adhered to. Otherwise, you'd simply pass it by with no comment rather than hoping it gets shut down. 😏

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 2

Novel idea....why doesn't everyone simply respect the cruise line's rules rather than excuse their violation?  We're all grown adults and presumably in a fairly high income bracket.  All of us are both capable of knowing and capable of following the published rules without having to put the crew in a position of forcing us to.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

Novel idea....why doesn't everyone simply respect the cruise line's rules rather than excuse their violation?  We're all grown adults and presumably in a fairly high income bracket.  All of us are both capable of knowing and capable of following the published rules without having to put the crew in a position of forcing us to.  

Agree 100% except money has nothing to do with class or respecting others or following the rules.

• Like 7

I think papaflamingo's point regarding income bracket is more along the lines of if you can afford a Regent cruise, you can probably afford to have clothing which fit the dress code. Not that resources = courtesy and respect.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, slidebite said:

I think papaflamingo's point regarding income bracket is more along the lines of if you can afford a Regent cruise, you can probably afford to have clothing which fit the dress code. Not that resources = courtesy and respect.

Even more for me is that if you can afford a Regent cruise then you should be  adult enough to follow the rules,  and respectful enough to not put the crew in a position to have to chastise you. 

But as you said, resources doesn't = courtesy and respect.

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, slidebite said:

You can put together an outfit that meets the evening dress code for $50 but I get what you are saying.

24 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

Even more for me is that if you can afford a Regent cruise then you should be  adult enough to follow the rules,  and respectful enough to not put the crew in a position to have to chastise you. 

But as you said, resources doesn't = courtesy and respect.

The problem is that the nicest people I have ever meet in my life were also the poorest (in terms of money). Being able to afford a Regent cruise doesn't mean anything except that you can afford a Regent cruise. I mean no disrespect to anyone but I will judge people by their actions, not their clothes or their bank account. 

• Like 7