Jeans…Jeans…Jeans?

2 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

The problem is that the nicest people I have ever meet in my life were also the poorest (in terms of money). Being able to afford a Regent cruise doesn't mean anything except that you can afford a Regent cruise. I mean no disrespect to anyone but I will judge people by their actions, not their clothes or their bank account. 

I don't intend to suggest in anyway that not being wealthy means no manners.  In fact I agree that some of the wealthiest people are the most disrespectful and arrogant.  But there is simply no excuse for anyone on a Regent cruise to purposefully disregard the cruise line rules.  No one can claim they don't know the rules as they are clearly and easily found on the website.  The idea that the rules aren't enforced so why obey them is absurd.  You obey them because you are an adult and you sign a contract saying you will abide by the rules.  That's it.  Clear and simple.  Live up to the contract you agree to and the discussion will end.  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

I don't intend to suggest in anyway that not being wealthy means no manners.  In fact I agree that some of the wealthiest people are the most disrespectful and arrogant.  But there is simply no excuse for anyone on a Regent cruise to purposefully disregard the cruise line rules.  No one can claim they don't know the rules as they are clearly and easily found on the website.  The idea that the rules aren't enforced so why obey them is absurd.  You obey them because you are an adult and you sign a contract saying you will abide by the rules.  That's it.  Clear and simple.  Live up to the contract you agree to and the discussion will end.  

100% agree. Absolutely no excuse for thinking you are above the rules.

• Like 4

I keep reading about “rules” on this thread.  No where does Regent refer to the dress code rules.  Doesn’t Regent call them “suggestions” or “guidelines” in their publications?  Or the “dress code”?  Not everyone reads these as “rules”.  FYI - we follow the dress code at all times, even though others may not and we are currently on Splendor.

45 minutes ago, nfcu said:

I keep reading about “rules” on this thread.  No where does Regent refer to the dress code rules.  Doesn’t Regent call them “suggestions” or “guidelines” in their publications?  Or the “dress code”?  Not everyone reads these as “rules”.  FYI - we follow the dress code at all times, even though others may not and we are currently on Splendor.

dress code

noun

1. a set of rules specifying the required manner of dress at a particular office, club, event, etc.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, nfcu said:

From the FAQ section of Regent's website: 

"Casual wear consists of resort-style outfits; some examples are jeans, shorts, t-shirts, and tennis shoes. Casual wear is appropriate for daytime both on board or ashore. Casual wear is not appropriate after 6:00 PM....the recommended onboard dress in the evenings is Elegant Casual. Dinner dress for ladies includes a skirt, or slacks with a blouse or sweater, a pant suit or dress; slacks and a collared shirt for gentlemen. Sport jackets are optional. Casual wear is not to be worn at dinner. Ties are not required."

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 2

Neither wealth nor poverty is a determinant of a person’s character. 
Good manners would suggest that one abides by the recommended dress code. Good manners would also dictate that you try to be gracious to those who might not choose to comply for whatever reason. A Speedo at dinner, however, might be a bit much.😄

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ldisch said:

Good manners would also dictate that you try to be gracious to those who might not choose to comply for whatever reason.

Why?  Should people simply look the other way when someone chooses to intentionally disregard rules or laws?  No one is talking about yelling out in the middle of the crowded dining room, but discretely mentioning it to management.  Would that not be good manners?  

As for a speedo, I would, at least wear a bow tie with it on formal night. 😜

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

Why?  Should people simply look the other way when someone chooses to intentionally disregard rules or laws?  No one is talking about yelling out in the middle of the crowded dining room, but discretely mentioning it to management.  Would that not be good manners?  

Or just the bow tie...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, papaflamingo said:

I have a sense of what is appropriate, but other people, for reasons unknown to me, may show up in something that might be considered inappropriate (or perhaps stated to be such). The person who arrives underdressed might have made a mistake. Grace is sadly lacking in our world. 
If they are intentionally choosing to thumb their nose at norms, then they are crass, and  are immune from embarrassment.

I started reading this thread for insight. My 30 year old son is coming with us on our first Regent cruise. Unlike my adult daughter I am being to think he is going to need some new clothes just for the cruise.

Slacks or dress trousers he has in abundance. Short and long sleeve shirts, good quality polo shirts etc he could outfit most of our small town. Smart chinos … he could start a shop. He has a couple of suits and a dinner suit. 
However he doesn’t own a sport jacket. He simply has never needed one. I cannot remember the last time I saw anyone under 50( ish ) in one. Our golf club ( Sunday lunch ) , good restaurants , gastro pubs etc only seem to have shirts, slacks maybe a decent jumper. He has dress shoes but mostly wears good smart all stars/ trainers/ casual shoes. 
We cruise regularly. Very few men on Azamara, Oceania etc wear a sports jacket. My husband usually takes one and wears it once or twice if the air conditioning is a bit fierce. We cruise usually in July and August in the Mediterranean or winter in the Caribbean. 

He has some learning difficulties and I wouldn’t want him to feel to feel out of place.

Please be honest.
At how many meals will the majority of men ( after 6pm ) be in a jacket?

Are they taken off in the restaurants and put on the back of the chairs or are they actually worn through the meal? 

As for the gentleman in the Speedo’s.

Ours rules are …..you will be treated the same at my table if you were the King, in Speedo’s, PJ’s or Buck naked ( I would give you the largest napkin I could find😱

Manners makes the man ( or these days the person). 

On a lighter note anyone with the confidence to go into a good quality restaurant wearing a pair of Speedo’s might make a very interesting table companion. 

2 hours ago, welshfamily said:

Please be honest.

Are they taken off in the restaurants and put on the back of the chairs or are they actually worn through the meal? 

We are very recently off Navigator. I would estimate that 25% of the men wore sport coats on a regular basis, more in Prime 7.  It was a Caribbean sailing.  The vast majority were in long sleeve, button down shirts in the evening.

What is a jumper?  Here it is a dress with straps you wear over a shirt.  A  man would never wear one.  On Regent, no need for a jacket, sports coat, whatever.  My husband does take a sports coat and wears it in Prime 7.  Mainly because I want to dress up.

3 hours ago, welshfamily said:

I started reading this thread for insight. My 30 year old son is coming with us on our first Regent cruise. Unlike my adult daughter I am being to think he is going to need some new clothes just for the cruise.

Slacks or dress trousers he has in abundance. Short and long sleeve shirts, good quality polo shirts etc he could outfit most of our small town. Smart chinos … he could start a shop. He has a couple of suits and a dinner suit. 
However he doesn’t own a sport jacket. He simply has never needed one. I cannot remember the last time I saw anyone under 50( ish ) in one. Our golf club ( Sunday lunch ) , good restaurants , gastro pubs etc only seem to have shirts, slacks maybe a decent jumper. He has dress shoes but mostly wears good smart all stars/ trainers/ casual shoes. 
We cruise regularly. Very few men on Azamara, Oceania etc wear a sports jacket. My husband usually takes one and wears it once or twice if the air conditioning is a bit fierce. We cruise usually in July and August in the Mediterranean or winter in the Caribbean. 

He has some learning difficulties and I wouldn’t want him to feel to feel out of place.

Please be honest.

Ours rules are …..you will be treated the same at my table if you were the King, in Speedo’s, PJ’s or Buck naked ( I would give you the largest napkin I could find😱

On a lighter note anyone with the confidence to go into a good quality restaurant wearing a pair of Speedo’s might make a very interesting table companion. 

My speedo comment was sarcasm, designed to make the point that everyone has a limit that they don't want crossed, even those who claim they care not one bit about what people wear into the main dining room on a luxury cruise.  

As to "manners," no one NO ONE is advocating anything other than simply asking that the dress code be adhered to.  NO ONE is advocating calling anyone out for violation, only asking here that people be respectful of the rules and follow them and perhaps, when the dress code is not adhered to over and over, mentioning it to the staff.  And exactly how is someone intentionally breaking the rules is "good manners?"  

It's MY cruise too.  I should also have at least the equal right that those who break the rules to expect that the rules be followed and enforced.  I shouldn't have to coddle and ignore chair hogs to the point I can't sit at the pool.  I shouldn't have to see people disregarding smoking rules, dress rules, drunkeness rules, etc.  I also paid to be on the cruise, didn't get a discount by promising to follow the rules.  I pick Regent for the entire experience and that includes smoking/vape rules, the style of cruising, and yes, I like the dress code.  So if we are going to hammer people for manners, your hammer should be toward those who flagrantly disregard rules "because the can." 

As to your son, why not simply read the published dress code?  It's very clear that sport coats are optional and what is required.  Here it is, copy and pasted off the Regent website:

"Attire ranges from Casual to Formal Optional. Casual wear consists of resort-style outfits; some examples are jeans, shorts, t-shirts, and tennis shoes. Casual wear is appropriate for daytime both on board or ashore. Casual wear is not appropriate after 6:00 PM. On the night prior to disembarkation, guests may need to pack their luggage early due to morning flights the next day. With this in mind, on the last night of every voyage, we will relax the dress code for dinner to Casual.

Otherwise, the recommended onboard dress in the evenings is Elegant Casual. Dinner dress for ladies includes a skirt, or slacks with a blouse or sweater, a pant suit or dress; slacks and a collared shirt for gentlemen. Sport jackets are optional. Casual wear is not to be worn at dinner. Ties are not required."

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Also called a sweater or pullover, depending where you come from.  

Thank you!  Sounds hot for a cruise ship.  I would stick with the long sleeve shirt or a polo.  That said, we are heading to Ireland next week I will take lots of rompers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, welshfamily said:

Please be honest.

We were on Explorer for Christmas. My husband’s sports jacket got worn once on Christmas Day, other than that it was left hanging in the closet.

The Speedos, thankfully, remained in the shop 🙈

Your son won’t look out of place without either 😉.

Have a great trip.

LP

1 hour ago, HotRoot said:

Thank you!  Sounds hot for a cruise ship.  I would stick with the long sleeve shirt or a polo.  That said, we are heading to Ireland next week I will take lots of rompers.

Not necessarily - often made of fine wool or cotton, ideal for British summer weather on  a cool day.  Can of course also be thick and very warm for winter - depends on the fabric.  V neck worn over a collared shirt;  polo neck/roll neck  on its own.

US and British names, as usual, not always the same.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Not necessarily - often made of fine wool or cotton, ideal for British summer weather on  a cool day.  Can of course also be thick and very warm for winter - depends on the fabric.  V neck worn over a collared shirt;  polo neck/roll neck  on its own.

US and British names, as usual, not always the same.

Oh the joy of having to wear jumpers in the summer in the UK. 😁 I am taking my full British summertime wardrobe on our Norwegian fjord cruise 😜

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Very wise, Techno123.

I thought so - something for every type of weather 😜 Just need to wash and proof the waterproofs as I will need those in deepest, North Wales before we go 😂

image.jpeg.4f69f009d2ce0d6c8fe7c5bebcb0b563.jpeg

Some woolly jumpers for you 😁

image.thumb.jpeg.eeca891a96f33034bb397a0e3079d373.jpeg

Edited by Techno123
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Very wise, Techno123.

We had a lovely few days in Lincolnshire last summer - stayed in Horncastle and cycled over to Lincoln and down to Tattershall and then along the coast from Chapel St Leonard's to Mablethorpe after a bit of shopping in Skeggy -  I'm glad it's so flat as I forgot the battery for my electric bike 😁

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, ldisch said:

Neither wealth nor poverty is a determinant of a person’s character. 
Good manners would suggest that one abides by the recommended dress code. Good manners would also dictate that you try to be gracious to those who might not choose to comply for whatever reason. A Speedo at dinner, however, might be a bit much.😄

So you have your limits too..  Just arguing which level of social malfeasance is acceptable.