En Route with Hank in Japan and the Westerdam

Hlitner

3 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I sail in steerage, that is the cheap seats, and though I have never had an overcharge I have had account issues which were handled promptly.  It is a pain that I have to deal with it and  I always try the app first. 

I kind of rolled 2 thoughts into one.  There has been some comments on this thread about the ops experience. I’m open to hearing everything, others seem not so much.  Many times it seems to be those that sail

in suites or the penthouse.  Just saying it’s not the same.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I now want to talk about last night’s dinner which was a very special treat for DW and myself.  Those of you that have followed my posts, over the years, know that we favor open dining at shared tables.  On this voyage, all of Our tables have been fun but last night was

extraordinary.

DW and I went into the MDR around 7:45 and were seated at my empty table

for 4.  A few moments later we were joined by a single male who turned

out to be a very successful travel

writer who founded a very well known series of travel books.  Needless to say, this independent traveler was like a

kid in a candy store.  DW asked him about his favorite place/trip which turned

out to be Africa.  We were sorry that dinner came to an end as the conversation was fascinating.  As he is traveling on here as a passenger we will respect his privacy and not post his name’during the cruise.

We have often posted that sharing tables

has given us our best memories of more than 50 years of cruising and last evening makes our top 2 list

Hank

How lovely!  Thank you for reminding us that meeting new people is one of the joys of cruising.

• Like 2

We have had a small number (3-4) of overcharges so far in 5 weeks. Quick message to Guest Services in the app had it corrected quickly. As of last night the ship is once again out of Clive Red Zinfandel. It was out of it for the second week of the Southern Japan leg, and a few days into the Northern Japan leg. They restocked in Busan South Korea. 2 weeks later they are out of stock again.

At the PG last night 3 people ordered the seared scallops (having ordered them previously). On the previous order they were quite large but topped with inedible roe of some sort. Last night all 3 ordered without the roe and the scallops that came were 1/4 trhe size of the previous time. Needless to say 3 unhappy ladies.

In fact the PG experience last night was terrible. This is the 5th time over 5 weeks and all previous experiences were great. Last night was extremely slow. We had to flag down the waiter to get water, flag down again to get bread, flag down again to place wine orders that were missed the first time. Took forever to clear plates.

I suspect this is a result of a large number of staff off sick. 1 week into masks optional and the coughing and hacking has risen dramatically. For me and my group, we still mask outside of our cabin except when eating and drinking. And we never share tables except with each other. So far over 5 weeks narry a sniffle.

Just our experience so far.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm really not impressed with the Pinnacle.  I had only done lunches on the koningsdam and thought they were so so.  I took a reasonable upsell on my last cruise to a neptune suite (not on the westerdam) so I had breakfast in the Pinnacle most mornings.  They were running around with their heads cut off most mornings.  Some mornings they took my plate away before my last bite.  Food was lukewarm at best every day.  I heard other people saying the same.  Breakfast in club orange on the koningsdam was MUCH better than that experience.  I ate a couple meals at night in the Pinnacle.  I thought the steaks didn't taste like they used to.  They used to have a nice sear on the them but that didn't happen.  I did have scallops one night and they were fine but a very small portion but I was looking for something small that night.  The other specialty restaurants are head and shoulders above the pinnacle.  It not worth the money to me (and mine were mostly free) except for one.

Edited by Florida_gal_50
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Could those overcharges be part of the corporate strategy to whittle down the massive debt that Carnival Corporation is saddled with? Not everyone is going to be as diligent as you in finding them and then taking the time to have them corrected. Since it would be silly to assume this is only happening to you, are there massive lines of passengers demanding that overcharges be taken off their accounts?

Yes, but how many people are going to recognize and complain about undercharges?  I think it stands to reason we will hear a lot more about overcharges.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, chrisbu315 said:

Yes, but how many people are going to recognize and complain about undercharges?  I think it stands to reason we will hear a lot more about overcharges.

The OP specifically said EVERY mistake was an OVERCHARGE.

7 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Rough weather, port cancellations, shortages, dark entertainment venues.

Can't say I'm sorry to have disembarked last Monday. 😉

Just out of curiosity, did you find yourself overcharged at times for drinks or per the excursion credit like Hank did?

• Like 1

Really enjoy reading about the port stops and really sorry to hear of the over charges, lack of entertainment and shortages on different wines and alcohol. We will be on the Westerdam in January,  Singapore to Yokohama. Sure hope these issues improve by then

• Like 1

HAL has some real issues with their antiquated accounting system and it can sometimes be amusing.  I finally went to Guest Relations to get an official accounting of our remaining shore excursion credits.  For this voyage we have two different booking numbers with a $300 credit in one and $200 on another (all part of the HIA package). The shore excursion desk could not figure it out and had told us to talk to Guest Relations.  

A very helpful Guest Relations person

spent nearly 15 minutes going through our account, finally came up with a number and than admitted she was not sure and would again review everything and “get back to me.”  And we are just 2 customers.  Boggles the mind.  

Hank

• Like 2

Last night, the Captain altered course towards the northeast on a direct course to Kodiak.  By 10am we have moved back into the bad weather with rain, winds, growing seas, etc.  The misery for the bad sailors (those who get seasick) continues and is likely to continue until we reach Kodiak on May 2.  

I think our Step 1 Dancers will continue to enjoy their vacation from work.  No way can they perform in these conditions, which is a shame since they are a talented group.  We just hope that

our remaining entertainers can avoid mal de mer and provide some good moments.

Last evening, DW and I enjoyed a quiet dinner in the PG.  I decided to try the pork chops (first time I have had this in the PG) which was quite good.  DW had the reliable filet mignon which was also excellent.  That being said, I agree with those who do not think the PG lives up to its cost.  We would not go to the PG, if we had to pay the normal price.  

One particular activity, Coloring for Adults, is full.  I do not have enough art talent to draw a stick figure, and on a moving ship it would be a very crooked stick.  But despite the lousy sea conditions, the various activities seem to be well attended.

Hank

• Like 4

So sorry that you are having so many problems on the Westerdam. We had a wonderful time on Oosterdam and we’re even credited back some monies at the end of our cruise, never a billing issue. I did check my daily statement to be certain our HIA was indeed being recognized.

7 hours ago, syesmar said:

I just read Copper 10-8’s live report from the Nieuw Amsterdam and they have a number of live entertainment choices, right from the very first night. Completely different feel than the Westerdam.

It’s concerning that 2 ships (and more) from the same cruise line could have such vastly different offerings.

Whose responsibility is this? HAL corporate or the onboard Cruise Director equivalent (I can’t recall the current name of this position)? I sincerely hope that HAL will listen to the feedback and do what it takes to ensure that every sailing offers the same expectation of quality entertainment options.

Appreciate the time you are taking @Hlitner to share your experiences with us.

I think the big difference between what is being reported with Nieuw Amsterdam and several other HAL ships is that the Westerdam was in Japan for an extended period of time. For entertainment, the entertainers would not work that long of a contract and HAL was unwilling to fly over NEW entertainers or at least very many. It was probably also harder to get entertainers to commit to sailing any extended time that far from home. Second since provisions would need to be shipped from the US and it appears they are not allowed to pick up much for provision they are sadly running out of many things. I think the biggest issue is most likely logistics and the not so great way HAL is handling this.

As for the accounting, I think it is probably more noticable with all the other problems and being 5 weeks on board. I can honestly say that I think I can count on one hand how many times in the last 10 years I have NOT had an overcharge. It is rare to not have to talk to the Front Desk or Concierge at least once. One of the worst was an Alaska cruise I think it was 2018 we were in a Neptune Suite I noticed that the binoculars were not in the suite. I mentioned it to the cabin stewart, of course they were never replaced but guess what was on my bill the last morning they were charging me for binoculars. Not the way to end the cruise, luckily our flight home was not till 3pm so I went to the Neptune Lounge to complain. Getting it taken off was not a simple "oh sorry for the error", they had to verify with our cabin steward. Not the first time I felt like they were telling me I was lying. I won't even get into when we were on the Inaugural Koningsdam sailing and for the last 2 days were trying to get them to give us the Inaugural Plate. Friends traveling with us had gotten theirs on the last Gala night. Had we not known this we would not have gotten. The over billing and seeing if they can get away with it has been going on for years.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Last evening, DW and I enjoyed a quiet dinner in the PG.  I decided to try the pork chops (first time I have had this in the PG) which was quite good.  DW had the reliable filet mignon which was also excellent.  That being said, I agree with those who do not think the PG lives up to its cost.  We would not go to the PG, if we had to pay the normal price.  

The Pork Chop is my go to in the PG and it has never been a disappointment.  I figure you can get a good steak almost anywhere, but a double cut Kurobuta chop is not so easily found.  I most likely will be having it again in a couple of weeks when we board.

I've also discovered that if I want beef tenderloin, the Tamarind offering is nearly identical to the PG's.  Unless you absolutely have to have potato or fries with your steak, I prefer the Tamarind.

I truly don't understand the billing issues as this has been a problem since we have been cruising with HAL.  The message is the same - check your bill on a daily basis.

Obviously HAL refuses to invest in solving this problem.  A simple POS system shouldn't be difficult to implement.  It's not as if HAL has an inventory and pricing structure of a WalMart or a JCPenny.  There's not actually a lot of items available to be purchased on a ship, especially as the on board retail shops all have their own POS systems.

• Like 1

Last night, the Captain altered course towards the northeast on a direct course to Kodiak.  By 10am we have moved back into the bad weather with rain, winds, growing seas, etc.  The misery for the bad sailors (those who get seasick) continues and is likely to continue until we reach Kodiak on May 2.  

I think our Step 1 Dancers will continue to enjoy their vacation from work.  No way can they perform in these conditions, which is a shame since they are a talented group.  We just hope that

our remaining entertainers can avoid mal de mer and provide some good moments.

One particular activity, Coloring for Adults, is full.  I do not have enough art talent to draw a stick figure, and on a moving ship it would be a very crooked stick.  But despite the lousy sea conditions, the various activities seem to be well attended.

Hank

I was surprised at how full it was on my cruise.  Frankly I have no interest in it.  I spend so much of my life indoors that’s the last place I want to be on a vacation.

44 minutes ago, cbr663 said:

I truly don't understand the billing issues as this has been a problem since we have been cruising with HAL.  The message is the same - check your bill on a daily basis.

Obviously HAL refuses to invest in solving this problem.  A simple POS system shouldn't be difficult to implement.  It's not as if HAL has an inventory and pricing structure of a WalMart or a JCPenny.  There's not actually a lot of items available to be purchased on a ship, especially as the on board retail shops all have their own POS systems.

I remember mentioning on this board all the accounting issues I had on the koningsdam.  One person told me it was my fault for not looking at my account 🙄.  I bet there is no one on this board that stalks their account like I do.  I’m in there a lot.  That doesn’t keep it from occurring.

Edited by Florida_gal_50
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I remember mentioning on this board all the accounting issues I had on the koningsdam.  One person told me it was my fault for not looking at my account 🙄.  I bet there is no one on this board that stalks their account like I do.  I’m in there a lot.  That doesn’t keep it from occurring.

In your opinion, is this most prevalent on the K?  I simply haven’t had this particular issue.

Totally agree about the PG, not my cup of tea plus they try far to hard to be “elegant service” and miss and you get aloof instead.  The only PG where we had excellent, friendly service was the NS.

2 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

In your opinion, is this most prevalent on the K?  I simply haven’t had this particular issue.

Totally agree about the PG, not my cup of tea plus they try far to hard to be “elegant service” and miss and you get aloof instead.  The only PG where we had excellent, friendly service was the NS.

Absolutely the koningsdam was the worst.  That said it had improved the last time I was on it which is saying much.  All other ships I’ve sailed on have only had issues here and there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Just out of curiosity, did you find yourself overcharged at times for drinks or per the excursion credit like Hank did?

I had a couple of them; not to the extent that Hank has experienced. I did have an issue with the shore excursion credit (HIA) that took some time (including a trip to the shorex desk and a couple of phone calls) to sort out....  Basically they charged me full price for an excursion that should have had my credit applied.

It is around 11 and we are in our cabin because all the entertainment ends at 10:45…sharp.  Tonight we had a terrific Canadian comedian named scott

Cotter.  When his show ended at 10:15

we headed to the Billboard Onboard which ended  at 10:45.  Want more nightlife on this ship?  Forget about it!  Yes, you can find an open bar….but no entertainment.

Scott Cotter was one of the best cruise ship comedians we have heard In a

long time.  But why does HAL end

the fun at 10:45?  Yes, we have another difficult day at sea tomorrow.

Dinner in the MDR was just OK with a

so-so menu. Nobody at our table

of 6 commented on the food, but the table conversations were good.  I ordered the “everyday “ salmon which has long been a staple on HAL.  As usual, we had good service and our wine service was fine.  Six at our table and 4 have had it with HAL.  The other couple were fine with HAL, but had never been on any other line.

Hank

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Just checked our onboard account and was ONLY overcharged $25.96 for a drink that is covered by our drink package.  I believe this is our 9th overcharge (now in the hundreds of dollars) since we boarded in March.

We have asked for an explanation as well as renewed our request for

a meeting with the hotel manager who might be able to suggest how we avoid overcharges.  To say that we are sick of this onboard BS would be an understatement..  

Hank

• Like 3

10 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I had a couple of them; not to the extent that Hank has experienced. I did have an issue with the shore excursion credit (HIA) that took some time (including a trip to the shorex desk and a couple of phone calls) to sort out....  Basically they charged me full price for an excursion that should have had my credit applied.

Thanks, maybe you have had less chances to be overcharged as you drank less than Hank and Hank's wife. And I assume no undercharges 😉 

And it does sound like getting the shorex overcharges fixed takes more of an effort than getting the overcharges fixed on drinks.

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Just checked our onboard account and was ONLY overcharged $25.96 for a drink that is covered by our drink package.  I believe this is our 9th overcharge (now in the hundreds of dollars) since we boarded in March.

a meeting with the hotel manager who might be able to suggest how we avoid overcharges.  To say that we are sick of this onboard BS would be an understatement..  

Hank

It sounds like from this post and the one previous to it, that if HAL wants to survive they better get a whole lot of new customers as they are turning off their present customers.

It's really a shame one has to spend so much of his or her vacation time checking their onboard account for overcharges. 😒

• Like 5

It is around 11 and we are in our cabin because all the entertainment ends at 10:45…sharp.  Tonight we had a terrific Canadian comedian named scott

Cotter.  When his show ended at 10:15

we headed to the Billboard Onboard which ended  at 10:45.  Want more nightlife on this ship?  Forget about it!  Yes, you can find an open bar….but no entertainment.

Scott Cotter was one of the best cruise ship comedians we have heard In a

long time.  But why does HAL end

the fun at 10:45?  Yes, we have another difficult day at sea tomorrow.

Dinner in the MDR was just OK with a

so-so menu. Nobody at our table

of 6 commented on the food, but the table conversations were good.  I ordered the “everyday “ salmon which has long been a staple on HAL.  As usual, we had good service and our wine service was fine.  Six at our table and 4 have had it with HAL.  The other couple were fine with HAL, but had never been on any other line.

Hank

When I landed at home from my recent cruise we had to wait for our luggage as usual.  I was talking to 3 people from my cruise that had just finished their first cruise on hal.  They usually cruise on Viking and said they wouldn’t be sailing on hal because they thought the food was not great.  Frankly I thought it was fine but not hot enough.  I only ate in the mdr 2 nights though.  If hal isn’t impressing new customers I think that’s a bit of a problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

Let us know what happens with a meeting with the hotel manager.  I’ve asked previously how that would happen on this board.  I was told they stroll the ship so it’s no problem contacting them 😂.