How do the beverage cards work?

Hllb

I’m considering buying them for my kids. Is it an actual card you get when you come on board, or is it kind of like a deposit in your cruise account? I’m hoping for a physical card since that would be easy for my kids to keep track (especially the youngest, I’m not too worried about the 18 or 19 yr old)

It’s a physical card.  Works like a gift card with each purchase being deducted from the balance until it’s depleted.  Not sure if it’s reloadable, though.  And I thought I had read that HAL no longer sells them onboard.  I’m sure someone will come along and address those two things.

13 minutes ago, Alberta Quilter said:

It’s a physical card.  Works like a gift card with each purchase being deducted from the balance until it’s depleted.  Not sure if it’s reloadable, though.  And I thought I had read that HAL no longer sells them onboard.  I’m sure someone will come along and address those two things.

Thanks. I would preorder them on my account. I assume we’d then get them at boarding.

1 minute ago, Hllb said:

Thanks. I would preorder them on my account. I assume we’d then get them at boarding.

Yes, they will be in the cabin on embarkation day.

After being on the phone pretty much all day on hold, I decided..instead of upgrading our drink package, it was easier to purchase 2 $100.00 Beverage cards that my husband can use when he wants a Jack on the Rocks, since it is not in the signature package..

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, 2flacruisers said:

After being on the phone pretty much all day on hold, I decided..instead of upgrading our drink package, it was easier to purchase 2 $100.00 Beverage cards that my husband can use when he wants a Jack on the Rocks, since it is not in the signature package..

If a drink is more than what is covered by a beverage package one only pays the difference plus 18% of the difference. I have never tried to pay that difference with a beverage cards, but it is worth a try.

Everyone has to do the math, but usually paying the difference is less expensive than upgrading because all persons on the booking must upgrade.

Just off the Volendam. We're given a beverage card as a gift. Could not use it for  the discounted Happy Hour drinks. Did not get our 4 star discount if used at the Explorers Cafe.

6 minutes ago, Tbay said:

Just off the Volendam. We're given a beverage card as a gift. Could not use it for  the discounted Happy Hour drinks. Did not get our 4 star discount if used at the Explorers Cafe.

I could use my beverage card in the past at Happy Hour =. Doesn’t make a lot of sense you can’t - it’s basically OBC for beverages in a card.

Explorations Cafe - that has been the way it was whenever I had beverage cards.  If I used my key card, discount - beverage card - none.

3 minutes ago, highscar said:

I would question that discount.  I received it every time I used my card.  It showed on my statement. 

Interesting.  My experience was the same as Tbay’s.  Perhaps HAL is improving in this regard?  Did you show your key card at the same time to generate the discount?  There’s never been any mariner status attached to the beverage card in the past 🤔 

• Thanks 1