Drink tipping

JimP1903

7 minutes ago, sailorusvi said:

🤷‍♀️ I managed to carry around cash, along with my room card and phone (for taking pictures).  It's not that hard.

We work in the hospitality industry and always tip. Curse of working in the industry is over tipping. 🙂  To an outside observer it might have looked like DH was Henry Hill walking through the Copacabana in the Goodfellas. 

That's us though. Tip if you want, don't tip if you don't want to.  Your choice.  

I do tip, as I stated... using the slip provided on other cruise lines. 

Your response doesn't answer my question, though. Does NCL not give you a slip? Is cash the only way to give extra tip? 

7 minutes ago, cmph said:

Does NCL not give you a slip? Is cash the only way to give extra tip? 

At dinner, you get a slip on which you can write-in a tip, but from what I've read here, the tip you provide may or may not make it to that individual server/team.  Cash is king and goes to them.  That's the preferred way.

At a bar, if you have the drink package, there's no slip.  Gotta have cash to tip.

I can't speak to not having the drink package and whether there's a piece of paper, but same caveat applies: if there's paper, your tip money may not go to that bartender/shift.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, cmph said:

Your response doesn't answer my question, though. Does NCL not give you a slip? Is cash the only way to give extra tip? 

The only slips I saw were when we went to the specialty dining restaurants.  Otherwise, I didn't notice getting any. I kind-of remember others getting slips though. We had the Premium Plus Package and consumed items within the package, maybe that is why we didn't get one?   We would have tipped cash regardless.   

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, cmph said:

I had the drinks package so no slip. Maybe someone who is purchasing a drink gets one?  I dont think I saw anyone purchasing a drink. Seemed like everyone was handing over their cruise card.  

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

I had the drinks package so no slip. Maybe someone who is purchasing a drink gets one?  I dont think I saw anyone purchasing a drink. Seemed like everyone was handing over their cruise card.  

Oops, I just realized even if you are "purchasing" a drink (in other words, no drinks package) you still hand over your cruise card and the charge for the drink is put on that.  So I guess no slips.  never saw any

are you serious, or just posting bad sarcasm? there is no need to carry around stacks of money. that's why there is a cabin safe. we usually carry around $10-15 in singles, and about $20 in 5's. this is less than i would normally carry around in my wallet on an average day. when the $$$ run out, i go back to the safe and replenish.  

isnt it better to slip the maitre"d or the hostess a few bucks at the beginning of the cruise?  dont know about you, but it always works for me.

$20 vegas handshake goes a long way if its for the right people, especially if youre sailing on a cruise of 10 days or more and youre in a suite or a haven. but again, to each his own!!!

Oh my gosh folks, I guess hyperbole gets lost. I just wanted to understand why people are carrying cash, b/c I am a newbie to NCL who is used to other cruise lines that give slips (with lines for added gratuities). Since I have not had to carry cash to add gratuities previously on cruises and don't carry cash in my daily life either, it's just not my norm. I appreciate that some have responded to explain that slips are not used, so I can plan accordingly. 

My husband says I should add "How dare you call me dramatic??!!" to really insert some drama.🤣 

• Like 3

On 3/16/2023 at 9:49 AM, pete_coach said:

In my experience, all drinks already have a 18 to 20% tip added to the drink charge if paying for drinks.

On a drink package the tip is also paid when you pay for the cruise.

On our Panama Canal cruise we had "Fee at Sea" package but had to pay the service charges (tips) for the beverages and specialty resturaunts up front.

So, I do not tip extra for a drink.

I agree with you.  I think we paid about $20 a day per person for the FAS drink pkg, And since we only drink 2 or 3 drinks per person per day, that’s $7-10 tip per drink!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cmph said:

I never leave a tip on the slip whether that is on the ship or at a restaurant at home.  You put a tip on the slip and it can go into a tip pool for distribution instead of the individual providing the service.  Within the US it also becomes taxable income since it is reported.  I prefer to give cash directly to the individual.  Whether they disclose it as income or put it into the tip pool is their business not mine.  I never take off the DSC.  All my 'tips' are in addition to the DSC.

11 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I never leave a tip on the slip whether that is on the ship or at a restaurant at home.  You put a tip on the slip and it can go into a tip pool for distribution instead of the individual providing the service.  Within the US it also becomes taxable income since it is reported.  I prefer to give cash directly to the individual.  Whether they disclose it as income or put it into the tip pool is their business not mine.  I never take off the DSC.  All my 'tips' are in addition to the DSC.

Oh? Are you insinuating tips not be reported as income?

Edited by pete_coach
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, pete_coach said:

Oh? Are you insinuating tips not be reported as income?

I think I was quite clear that whether the server wishes to report the tips as income is not my concern any more than the tax deductions they claim.  Simply put, I'm not a tax enforcement agent.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I never leave a tip on the slip whether that is on the ship or at a restaurant at home.  You put a tip on the slip and it can go into a tip pool for distribution instead of the individual providing the service.  

That's not true for Disney (the only line I've sailed in recent years). Only the 18% auto gratuity is pooled. The additional tip you add on the slip is only for your bar server. I do understand your point, though, as policies vary workplace-to-workplace.

• Like 1

Since I pay gratuities for my FAS drink package, I never pay any extra tip when ordering a regular drink from the menu. And I have not experienced bad service because of that...! If I asked for something special that was not on the regular menu, then I would probably give $1-$2 per order (either by cash or ask for a slip and then add extra tips there). 

Many replies in this thread makes it seem like the majority of passengers on board give extra cash tips with every drink order - and that is NOT the case/nor the norm.

Extra tipping is completely optional and at your discretion - and if you choose to not tip "twice" then that is completely fine too... 

Edited by TrumpyNor
  • Like 7

8 hours ago, TrumpyNor said:

Many replies in this thread makes it seem like the majority of passengers on board give extra cash tips with every drink order - and that is NOT the case/nor the norm.

Agreed.  Purely an estimate, but I'd say 30% tip at bars

9 hours ago, TrumpyNor said:

You may not have experienced bad service but I assure you that a good tipper will get better service.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, TrumpyNor said:

Extra tipping is completely optional and at your discretion - and if you choose to not tip "twice" then that is completely fine too... 

2 hours ago, JGmf said:

Agreed.  Purely an estimate, but I'd say 30% tip at bars

You know, after reading this thread, a few things came to mind.  First, I've never, and I mean ever, seen a passenger tip a bartender in cash.  (So I can't imagine it's anywhere close to 30% of people, but I have no evidence to support this statement.)  Servers carrying drinks?  Yes, they get tips often.  But never have I seen bartenders receiving cash.  Secondly, if bartenders were tipped as often and generously as this thread suggests, the bartenders would be amongst the wealthiest people on the ship!!!  

We used to just give some extra tips at the end of our trips to those we felt deserving.  I guess I have to up my game at the bars!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Maleficent's Dad said:

First, I've never, and I mean ever, seen a passenger tip a bartender in cash.

12 minutes ago, Maleficent's Dad said:

But never have I seen bartenders receiving cash.

I'm guessing you don't drink much and/or haven't been on many cruises.

15 minutes ago, LloydJr said:

I'm guessing you don't drink much and/or haven't been on many cruises.

I've only been on one NLC cruise (the other ones were in the 80-90's) and saw cash tips, other than ourselves.  I wouldn't say a lot, but definitely saw them.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TrumpyNor said:

That is the case and the norm. Many people will tip a bartender or waiter. 

• Like 2

maleficent'sdad. guess you just aint looking close enough. we always tip the bartenders, especially at the outdoor bars.  certainly not after every round, but a few bucks here and a few bucks there while we're sitting enjoying the sun and the sea.

if you can accept servers getting tips, why is it so strange if you give the bartender a buck or two if you order/get the drink yourself?

i feel like a broken record, but once again: if you want to tip extra. do so. if not dont. we have beaten this poor dead horse into oblivion

• Like 3

13 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

You may not have experienced bad service but I assure you that a good tipper will get better service.

Not sure if it's the tipping, if I walk up to the bar, without saying a word, one glance will have drinks for the Wife and myself pretty darn quick at the pool bar, and servers stop by often asking if I need a refill instead of having to be waved down.

• Like 2

If you're sitting right at the bar watching people order and get served, it's not uncommon to see a flash of cash (more typically at indoor bars than up at the pool). Or sometimes it's much less discreet, like when people are giving more substantial tips to their favorite staff members at the end of the cruise and you can't help overhearing a whole thank you/goodbye conversation.

But if you usually sit at your own table, and you're not the kind to spend your cruise monitoring what other guests are doing, then I'm sure it's perfectly possible never to notice any cash tipping. And (at least for now) the bar staff will never pressure you for an additional tip, or give you worse service if you don't tip extra.

• Like 2