Mafia style baggaging in Miami RCI terminal?

11 minutes ago, pdmlynek said:

Every evening, I launder my underwear, socks, and shirt that I wore that day. By morning, they are dry. I typically take with me 2 extra underwear, socks, shirt, in case I need to change more than once or twice a day.

I’m of the to each their own, just couldn’t resist pulling out the mom joke.

31 minutes ago, pdmlynek said:

Well, neither do I. Every evening, I launder my underwear, socks, and t-shirt that I wore that day. By morning, they are dry. I typically take with me 2 extra underwear, socks, shirt, in case I need to change more than once or twice a day.

Personally, I don't consider having to wash clothes as part of a "vacation".  I want underwear for every day (at least a week), probably (for a cruise) 1/2 of the length in clean socks (if I only wear them to dinner/show, I might wear them again, if I'm wearing all day, I want a clean set for every day), 2-3 clean t-shirts, 2-3 clean collared shirts, 2-3 shorts, and a pair of slacks. 

I have gotten to the point where I can pack for 7 days in a carry on.  It's tight in the winter (heavier clothes), looking forward to warmer weather when I don't needs long sleeve t's and sweatshirts.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, pdmlynek said:

No. When you are flying into Miami in middle of the winter from your home in Edmonton, Minneapolis, or wherever you call home, you simply wear enough cold-weather clothing to be comfortable going from your car into your home airport, such as long pants, hoodie, maybe a coat. Sure, I get that. I do that too.

But you WEAR your cold-weather clothes when you travel between your home and the cruise ship. You do not pack it.  There would be no point of packing your cold-weather clothes with you.

Not necessarily…

In many of the larger northern cities in the US, parking is at a distinct premium (both spaces & price) at the airport proper.  Ours is infamous for lousy shuttle service from the long term lot.  Not about to walk a mile+ lugging a suitcase to reach the terminal

It’s not unusual to find big clusters of offsite parking garages & surface lots, solely for flyers, located several miles away from large airports.  Since our home airport is a good 15 miles out of the city & in a rural area, it’s no more than 10 min or so shuttle run from them, even if a good 7 from the airport.  However, you do have to wait for said shuttle outside at all of them.   Below zero and wind from being up high = it’s c-o-l-d.  We do have packable down coats specifically for travel.  Still, they take up room in the luggage.  I do swear by compression bags to help the cause when packing.  

Our outer wear comes off as soon as we hit the airport & into a checked bag it goes.  FA friend mentioned they get a kick out of guests who look like the pillsbury dough boy when boarding flights.  Her theory, they are trying save $ on paying for a carryon roller lol.  

Lastly, we never fly into port the day of a cruise.  It’s nice to start trip out stress free and enjoy the port city.  Have had one too many flights delayed or cancelled outright in the last 3 years.  That winter gear comes along for the ride.

Sorry to veer OT here, back to topic at hand…

my thots on the longshoremen:  as OT described, that sounds quite heavy-handed.  However, most travelers realize it’s generally considered customary in the US to tip everyone who touches a suitcase.  

My DH also overtips (land and sea), we’ve both moonlighted in tip-able positions in the service industry way back in the day and enjoy paying it forward now…just how we roll

Edited by keishashadow

This is what makes CC so great. Debates about how to pack, how much to pack, how much underware is enough, how often to change your underware, whether or not to do laundry in the bathroom sink vs. wearing your dirty underwear in the pool.......

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

This is what makes CC so great. Debates about how to pack, how much to pack, how much underware is enough, how often to change your underware, whether or not to do laundry in the bathroom sink vs. wearing your dirty underwear in the pool.......

:classic_biggrin::classic_smile::classic_tongue:Next thing you know, we'll be talking about very personal hygiene stuff.  

BTW, that's not a suggestion, everyone/anyone!

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Personally, I don't consider having to wash clothes as part of a "vacation".  I want underwear for every day (at least a week), probably (for a cruise) 1/2 of the length in clean socks (if I only wear them to dinner/show, I might wear them again, if I'm wearing all day, I want a clean set for every day), 2-3 clean t-shirts, 2-3 clean collared shirts, 2-3 shorts, and a pair of slacks. 

I have gotten to the point where I can pack for 7 days in a carry on.  It's tight in the winter (heavier clothes), looking forward to warmer weather when I don't needs long sleeve t's and sweatshirts.  

I want clean ever day too. Since I am retiring from snorkeling 😀 I will carry as much as I can in a carry on. If I run out of clean clothes I will send out to the laundry service. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

😄😄

No, I don't think that anyone is proposing to wear dirty underwear, or wearing dirty clothes! 😄

46 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

<takes notes> 

now, where do we stand on deodorant and cologne?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Ret MP said:

If you turn them inside out, they're clean again.  :classic_cool:

BTW, my son-in-law, lives in the suburbs of Indianapolis, in the midst of winter (~0's) he'll leave home in shorts and a T-Shirt to go to the airport to go to FLL or MIA.  :classic_wacko:

Same clothing "philosophy" in MI.  My son, who lives in Ann Arbor, says that Michiganians get stubborn once the calendar says the weather should be warmer.  Over 35 degrees? Time for shorts, tees, and flip-flops.

5 hours ago, keishashadow said:

However, I seriously cannot imagine the thot of not putting on clean underwear every day. 🤢

Shoot some days on a Cruise I'll had had on 3 different pair. After a workout/Run and Shower in am, after a day in Port and Shower, I am not putting anything but another clean pair on

56 minutes ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

I have no idea what that is 🤷

Teamsters are a union that originaly represented horse team drivers. Thus the name. They morphed with the new horseless tech into the truck drivers union. Now they represent some other workers too but they don't represent the porters at US cruise ports. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, jean87510 said:

free diving fins, liquids, sneakers, 1 pair heels, 1 pair dress shoes, snorkeling bag, 2 pairs hiking sandals,snorkeling masks, regular fins, metal water bottles, blowup beach chairs and portable tent take up 2 suitcases.  2 carryons for clothes which are rolled to fit.  We carry backpacks for electronics, passports, cc, and cash.  If we didn't snorkel and hike, yes, a school bag might work.

?? I wish I needed a backpack for my cash 

Mine fits nicely in a pretty small space  :)

Cheers

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

We tip the porters. I want my bags.  I do feel like they might hold them hostage and I don’t want to find out the hard way.  We tip everybody else on a cruise and getting there so why not? 

The answer to why not is if they are forcing you to do so 

1 hour ago, LobsterStalker said:

?? I wish I needed a backpack for my cash 

Mine fits nicely in a pretty small space  🙂

Cheers

Not sure if you have seen this but backpacks have zippered pouches where one can keep their cash.  

I doubt it was as supervisor who did this to you. I had the same thing happen to me a few years ago in Miami... we rolled up in our car barely got out and the porter said tip him in order to get my bags on the ship...I said take me to your supervisor...which he did and then he proceeded to tell the supervisor he did not say such a thing. I took their picture with my phone and then told them both they better pray my bags make it on the ship. My bags made it on...and no, my usual tip to these guys did not happen on this occasion. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, keishashadow said:

In many of the larger northern cities in the US, parking is at a distinct premium (both spaces & price) at the airport proper.  Ours is infamous for lousy shuttle service from the long term lot.  Not about to walk a mile+ lugging a suitcase to reach the terminal

It’s not unusual to find big clusters of offsite parking garages & surface lots, solely for flyers, located several miles away from large airports.  Since our home airport is a good 15 miles out of the city & in a rural area, it’s no more than 10 min or so shuttle run from them, even if a good 7 from the airport.  However, you do have to wait for said shuttle outside at all of them.   Below zero and wind from being up high = it’s c-o-l-d.  We do have packable down coats specifically for travel.  Still, they take up room in the luggage.  I do swear by compression bags to help the cause when packing.  

Our outer wear comes off as soon as we hit the airport & into a checked bag it goes.  FA friend mentioned they get a kick out of guests who look like the pillsbury dough boy when boarding flights.  Her theory, they are trying save $ on paying for a carryon roller lol.  

Lastly, we never fly into port the day of a cruise.  It’s nice to start trip out stress free and enjoy the port city.  Have had one too many flights delayed or cancelled outright in the last 3 years.  That winter gear comes along for the ride.

I understand what you are saying, but it just seems wasteful to drag a checked luggage thousands of miles for the entire vacation just for the dash between the car and the airport terminal. 

I wonder if there is a way to store your coat someplace in the terminal. Or someone valet the car for you.

8 hours ago, pdmlynek said:

I understand what you are saying, but it just seems wasteful to drag a checked luggage thousands of miles for the entire vacation just for the dash between the car and the airport terminal. 

I wonder if there is a way to store your coat someplace in the terminal. Or someone valet the car for you.

Those ideas would be options to consider, however neither offered at either of my area airports 

‘Wasteful’ strikes me as a rather subjective term. In my universe it surely doesn’t apply to taking at least one checked bag (preferably one per person) for any vacation travel over a 3 or 4 days.  

Unless there is a washer & dryer unit in my room, I’ll go as far to classify it as a non-negotiable need, not a want.

for those that prefer to pack light, ‘carry on’! 

Edited by keishashadow

8 hours ago, pdmlynek said:

I believe that most major airports have rental storage lockers in them or nearby.  For example:

https://travelpander.com/does-miami-airport-have-luggage-storage/

So, Does miami airport have luggage storage?

Yes, Miami Airport has luggage storage facilities. These are located in the main terminal building and the concourse areas. Prices start at $5 per day for small items and $10 per day for larger items.

https://www.broward.org/Airport/passengers/Pages/CruisePassengers.aspx

Baggage Storage

Public Baggage Storage is available in all terminals. For more information, call 954-359-5505.

As a retired parking facility manager, I don't understand why there isn't a valet parking service at cruise terminals, at least the ones I've been to.  I know I managed the parking at the FLL terminal and I managed the parking at Port Everglades.  As many times as I asked the management of Port Everglades, whom we were contracted to manage their parking facilities, no cogent answer(s) were given.  I believe, if you can do it at an airport, you can do it at a cruise terminal.    It's also a very beneficial service for ADA folks.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ret MP said:

believe that most major airports have rental storage lockers in them or nearby.  For example:

Nice for those that live near airports offering the service.  At least for week or so trips at those prices versus checking another bag.  Always good to have options

Out of curiosity did just double check the ‘international’ one near us, it doesn’t offer thst service

curious tho as to security, assume they’d put the bags thru TSA level of inspection before accepting

Edited by keishashadow

17 minutes ago, keishashadow said:

curious tho as to security, assume they’d put the bags thru TSA level of inspection before accepting

I used that once, and I thought it was more thorough in a genuine not theater way.   The guy studied the x-ray image for a reasonably long length of time.   I guess the thought of a bomb going off 20 feet away might be motivating.   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ret MP said:

I believe that most major airports have rental storage lockers in them or nearby.  For example:

https://travelpander.com/does-miami-airport-have-luggage-storage/

So, Does miami airport have luggage storage?

Yes, Miami Airport has luggage storage facilities. These are located in the main terminal building and the concourse areas. Prices start at $5 per day for small items and $10 per day for larger items.

https://www.broward.org/Airport/passengers/Pages/CruisePassengers.aspx

Baggage Storage

Public Baggage Storage is available in all terminals. For more information, call 954-359-5505.

As a retired parking facility manager, I don't understand why there isn't a valet parking service at cruise terminals, at least the ones I've been to.  I know I managed the parking at the FLL terminal and I managed the parking at Port Everglades.  As many times as I asked the management of Port Everglades, whom we were contracted to manage their parking facilities, no cogent answer(s) were given.  I believe, if you can do it at an airport, you can do it at a cruise terminal.    It's also a very beneficial service for ADA folks.  

But, many people DON'T leave from major airports.  None of the three airports within 2 hours of us have lockers.  And it could actually be cheaper to check luggage than it would be to store it in a locker (depending on the size of the locker).  SW doesn't charge for checked bags.  Some other airlines allow free checked bags if you have their credit card.  

There is a benefit to being carry on only and there's also a benefit to checking luggage.  I figure it's up to each traveler to decide what's best for them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1