Pre-Cruise Covid Test, Again?

mcbury1

We are scheduled on a HA cruise in Japan April 10th, and they are currently requiring a pre-cruise covid test 1 to 2 days before embarkation, even if you have been fully vaccinated.  We are planning to be in Japan the week before touring around and are having anxieties about finding a place in Tokyo for a test.  We are also considering the eMed tests.  Any thoughts?

Probably a country requirement rather than a cruise line requirement - we had to do it in SF last year as per CDC rules at the time. 

Whether or not home tests are acceptable will come down to the actual rules - what have HAL said?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SilvertoGold said:

HAL requires testing for Australia and NZ, too.  Home test is acceptable and certainly easy to do.

We sail this week from NZ to Australia and are doing the ‘home’ tests which seems the easiest.   

I would check on the HAL site and see what is acceptable for Japan.  The home test we have to do does not have to be medically observed but we have done the emed test which fits that requirement.  If Japan requires the medically observed test, I would opt for emed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am on an upcoming HAL cruise to Japan. The testing requirements is a HAL requirement in an effort to keep the total number of infected passengers and crew below 10% (not exactly sure of the % but in this area) as Japan will deny a ship to dock if it meets or exceeds this threshold.

HAL does however allow you to take a self administered antigen test. See the health protocols for details,

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses.  We will likely try the eMed, self-administered test antigen test, but medically supervised over the internet.  For HAL, when they say 1 day in advance, does that mean you can take the test Sunday morning, and go on the ship Monday afternoon, more than 24 hours later?

12 hours ago, mcbury1 said:

Thanks for the responses.  We will likely try the eMed, self-administered test antigen test, but medically supervised over the internet.  For HAL, when they say 1 day in advance, does that mean you can take the test Sunday morning, and go on the ship Monday afternoon, more than 24 hours later?

We have used the emed test several times pre cruise.  We watched a couple of instructional videos on YouTube to help us figure it all out, I would recommend you do this as well.

You can do self administered test.   It is simpler and convenient to do self administered non-supervised  test.  The test does not need to be medically supervised.   

Embarkation day is day = 0.   One day before embarkation day at any time of day is day = 1 etc.

Peter

I am sailing Yokohama to Seattle, same self administered test required.  I am just bringing a few boxes of tests from my local CVS and will take a photo of the test to board.   I have already cleared Japan entry requirements via their website by uploading my vaccine documentation.  Should be easy.

It is in HAL's interest to get the percentage of Covid below 10 percent on its >>reporting<<.

It is also in  HAL's interest to protect passengers from not fully vaccinated passengers to keep infection low.

I have read between the lines and do not have an issue with HAL's boarding requirements.

Peter

• Like 1
  • Haha 1