Pepper in the buffet on Ruby and Crown.....

spunks

I was on the Ruby last month and just got off the Crown for 2 weeks. I do not know why, but in the buffet they have removed all the black pepper and replaced it with what I thought was white pepper. Now I dont know what to think. This stuff is very finely ground. I could detect very little flavor, but what I could detect was a very strong odor. It smells somewhat like....no....it smells exactly like a cattle feedlot. That is right!....cow ...uh....droppings.

Am I the only one?The people we travel with would not use it.

Doug

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

Did you ask if you could get black pepper?

yes....and they could not find any....We never ate in the dining room so I do not know if they had the same issue.

5 minutes ago, spunks said:

as a matter of fact she is and is quite well. Good to hear from you

Doug

Super! Just booked the Ruby after a looong spell on NCL and Celebrity.

Best regards to you both. Stay well.

Cheers!

3 hours ago, spunks said:

I was on the Ruby last month and just got off the Crown for 2 weeks. I do not know why, but in the buffet they have removed all the black pepper and replaced it with what I thought was white pepper. Now I dont know what to think. This stuff is very finely ground. I could detect very little flavor, but what I could detect was a very strong odor. It smells somewhat like....no....it smells exactly like a cattle feedlot. That is right!....cow ...uh....droppings.

Am I the only one?The people we travel with would not use it.

Doug

If it were white pepper, your mouth would be on fire, and that's extremely hot. 

What you saw was finely crushed pepper, which is less expensive that table coarse ground pepper.  Crushed pepper is used in cooking also, so suspect they don't need to have separate table pepper and cooking pepper. 

5 hours ago, spunks said:

yes....and they could not find any....We never ate in the dining room so I do not know if they had the same issue.

I doubt that.  Tell them to find some/  They are just being lazy.  Good cooks use ground whole peppercorns and not that pre ground flavorless crap.  It is in the kitchen somewhere.

DON

• Like 1

Finely ground pepper does not smell like cow poop! The smell was VERY distinctive....overpowering almost. I began to think someone had pranked Princess until I had the very same stuff on the second ship.

Doug

21 hours ago, spunks said:

I do not know why, but in the buffet they have removed all the black pepper

Hope your trips were not indicative of what I'll find on the Emerald Princess.  I love my pepper and want some Sriracha too.

8 hours ago, spunks said:

Finely ground pepper does not smell like cow poop! The smell was VERY distinctive....overpowering almost. I began to think someone had pranked Princess until I had the very same stuff on the second ship.

Doug

Are you sure it is not something wrong with your sense of smell?

• 3 weeks later...

The typical smell of manure of white pepper produced with “traditional”methods is due to some of the components of its volatile oil. On a total amount of 22, only few  are directly responsible for strong odors:

The 3-Methylindole reminds of the smell of pig manure,

The 4-methilfenolol – an odor of feces and/or horse sweat, as well as the skatole (whose pungency is increased by the simultaneous presence of p-cresol).

These aromatic compounds are developed by the biochemical processes that occur during fermentation. Not to get too strong or altered aromas, it is necessary to change frenquently the water used for soaking, then quickly dry the product.

While some may say it is tacky..I always bring a salt and pepper grinder with me.  Gotta have fresh ground pepper on my salad. Too many times cruising where the pepper grinder was always empty, didn't work or just didn't exist.