Myanmar, is refund possible after final payment

We are booked to sail early April porting three days in Myanmar.  O is not giving any indication that they will cancel Myanmar.  State Dept has level 4 do not travel alert due to civil war, military coup, unexploded mines and no consular services…..  travel insurance is not valid as level 4 do not travel advisory is issued by the state department.

We will breach one government contract and one private contract by traveling to a designated war zone and having no access to diplomatic channels should something happen.  We are in business in critical energy infrastructure.  We can’t even go into the port without breaching a contract.

O refuses to make a decision and says they have people on the ground monitoring the situation.  My gut tells me that this one should be a pass but then I loose all funds paid for a very expensive 20 day Asia sailing.  Would they let me move the sailing?  On the other hand, the Bagan temples are the main reason for the trip so if they skip Myanmar, it defeats the purpose of the cruise,  Unfortunately, my TA is out until April 15 having a knee replacement so no help there.

Any suggestions keeping in mind that O absolutely will not give us an answer. Is there a way to move sailings?

Does travel insurance, Allianz, cover these situations?

thanks!

Does your agent work for an agency?

Maybe someone there can help get you some answers

My guess will be  Oceania will not be going there  but then what do I know

Unless you have CFAR insurance  unlikely they will cover you if you cancel

On board the Insignia, ATW…

Yesterday, our CD Ray Carr commented that conditions in Myanmar were improving and that it was looking more likely (for calling there).  He also mentioned that Peru, which we “skipped”, was now back to normal…🤷‍♂️

If you don't have CFAR (or CFmostAR), yes agree try asking to change to another cruise rather than cancel. Or ask to leave the ship pre-Myanmar and join back again after Myanmar. At this late moment the answer might be "no" to one or both of those ideas but it might be worth a try. Others likely will have even better ideas! 

Edited by babysteps

I have been asking the same question on the Asia Ports Board.  An Australian posted about their Foreign Ministry advising a similar Level 4 alert against traveling to Yangon.

My original question was about something different, however.

I was also thinking of going to Bagan but it is 8 hours+ by bus and up to 2 hours by air.  The situation in Mandalay Province is much worse than in Yangon.  

We are on the Riviera in January 2024.  Things have a tendency to change radically, like the situation in Peru.  I will follow your post and see what Oceania says/does.  

On 3/21/2023 at 12:39 PM, ssawjo said:

I have been asking the same question on the Asia Ports Board.  An Australian posted about their Foreign Ministry advising a similar Level 4 alert against traveling to Yangon.

My original question was about something different, however.

I was also thinking of going to Bagan but it is 8 hours+ by bus and up to 2 hours by air.  The situation in Mandalay Province is much worse than in Yangon.  

We are on the Riviera in January 2024.  Things have a tendency to change radically, like the situation in Peru.  I will follow your post and see what Oceania says/does.  

We did the overnight in Bagan on our 2018 cruise with Oceania. 

FABULOUS a 5 star experience. 

Unfortunately we docked 8 hrs to late to tour Yangon. Low tides could not dock on time 

13 hours ago, Acrusa said:

We did the overnight in Bagan on our 2018 cruise with Oceania. 

FABULOUS a 5 star experience. 

Unfortunately we docked 8 hrs to late to tour Yangon. Low tides could not dock on time 

If we do get into Myramar, how did you get to Bagan?  Did you use a specific tour company?  I would really like to go there.  Thanks.

Bill

18 hours ago, vaitape said:

Shouldn't the US Department of State determine whether it is safe to visit a country rather than a cruise line's "contacts" on the ground? 

I agree and the State Department has the same Level 4 travel advisory for Myanmar. 

1 hour ago, ssawjo said:

If we do get into Myramar, how did you get to Bagan?  Did you use a specific tour company?  I would really like to go there.  Thanks.

Bill

Oceania has an overnight. That the best and only way to go. You leave the ship around 2 am drive to airport and fly to Bagan. The hotel they use was excellent. The tour must be on Oceania web site 

31 minutes ago, Acrusa said:

Oceania has an overnight. That the best and only way to go. You leave the ship around 2 am drive to airport and fly to Bagan. The hotel they use was excellent. The tour must be on Oceania web site 

No tour listed by Oceania excursions.  My cruise in on the Riviera in January 2024.  Thank you for your response.

Bill

4 hours ago, ssawjo said:

No tour listed by Oceania excursions.  My cruise in on the Riviera in January 2024.  Thank you for your response.

Bill

Is it the description of the overland tour you want ?

Both Insignia & Nautica are scheduled to visit in May.

The descriptions are showing on their overland section on the website. 

6 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

Is it the description of the overland tour you want ?

Both Insignia & Nautica are scheduled to visit in May.

The descriptions are showing on their overland section on the website. 

I checked again, especially the overland section, and the answer is NO.  I did check the Insignia and Nautica and I see what you are talking about.  However, it is not scheduled for my particular cruise.  

I booked the overland to Bagan on the O website.  It leaves the first morning, tours Yangon then flies to Bagan, stays the night and tours the temples the next day then flies back to Yangon.

My only question is that we have sanctions against the military in charge of the country and their airlines.  I wonder how we are going to fly there without violating the sanctions.

I wouldn’t worry as you’re likely not going there.  I have been following marine traffic for a few months now, and everyone’s been avoiding it entirely and spending more time in Malaysia, Indonesia, and Sri Lanka. Not sure why Oceania always leaves port changes like this to the last minute.  It’s unconscionable.  This country has been under military rule for over two years now and no one else is planning to go there until 2024/ 2025.

• Like 1

Hide the ball. Give evasive answers. Give out as little information as possible. I like Oceania a lot and will continue to sail with them, but the corporate culture of minimized disclosure to guests seems to permeate the officer corp on every ship and is indeed frustrating. 

• Like 5

On 3/23/2023 at 4:22 PM, the more ports the better said:

I booked the overland to Bagan on the O website.  It leaves the first morning, tours Yangon then flies to Bagan, stays the night and tours the temples the next day then flies back to Yangon.

My only question is that we have sanctions against the military in charge of the country and their airlines.  I wonder how we are going to fly there without violating the sanctions.

We were booked on the O cruise with Myanmar stop in 2020. Obviously, it was canceled shortly before departure. COVID aside, travel to this country was never safe between then and now - political unrest and a lot of violence is going on. I saw this 2023 cruise on the Oceania website, but we didn’t book it. The State Department advised against traveling to Myanmar for a long time. It was clear to me that going to Myanmar and flying to Bagan still wasn’t a good idea no matter whether O stop there or not. So we didn’t want to find us in the situation when we’d need to ask for the cancellation after the final payment is done.

Oceania is in business to keep cruising. It’s our responsibility to do research to make our traveling safe and enjoyable. I hope you’ll find a solution that will be acceptable to you at this point.

Edited by osandomir

We’ve been all through Malaysia, Indonesia, UAE and Thailand.  We have also been to Singapore many times for business.

The primary reason for booking was Myanmar and Southern India.  I contacted O many times as did my travel agent prior to making final payment.  They assured us that they had people in country and the situation has improved greatly.  Completely untrue!  Fortunately, my travel agency documents all calls.

Today, they are still telling us that Myanmar safe, ridiculous.  I do strongly disagree with the above post that since cruise lines are in the business of sailing, they have no responsibility to avoid dangerous situations and they can just sail anywhere they please.  They always have a duty of care and a duty to inform.

Many millions of dollars if not billions have been paid out in settlements by cruise lines for putting passengers in precarious situations.  Unforeseeable accidents are losers for the cruise lines.  In this case, any tragedy that may occur related to the civil war is 100% foreseeable.  I practiced law for many years, I would take that passenger case 100% of the time…… on contingency!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, the more ports the better said:

We’ve been all through Malaysia, Indonesia, UAE and Thailand.  We have also been to Singapore many times for business.

The primary reason for booking was Myanmar and Southern India.  I contacted O many times as did my travel agent prior to making final payment.  They assured us that they had people in country and the situation has improved greatly.  Completely untrue!  Fortunately, my travel agency documents all calls.

Today, they are still telling us that Myanmar safe, ridiculous.  I do strongly disagree with the above post that since cruise lines are in the business of sailing, they have no responsibility to avoid dangerous situations and they can just sail anywhere they please.  They always have a duty of care and a duty to inform.

Many millions of dollars if not billions have been paid out in settlements by cruise lines for putting passengers in precarious situations.  Unforeseeable accidents are losers for the cruise lines.  In this case, any tragedy that may occur related to the civil war is 100% foreseeable.  I practiced law for many years, I would take that passenger case 100% of the time…… on contingency!!

I never said O could sail to the destination that isn’t safe. Just don’t understand why leave it to cruise line to make a decision while you ask them so many times if it was safe to travel. The political unrest in Myanmar isn’t something that just happened recently. The SD “Do not travel” advise was there for awhile. It was plenty of time to change your plans and cancel prior to the final payment.

Do you really think now is the best time to complain or wait for bad things that can happen to trigger a legal case. I posted because this destination was on our radar for a long time but we decided against booking a cruise to Myanmar at this time.

Edited by osandomir
  • Like 1

I guess I just had faith in O that they would be straight forward and let us know what is going on.  Clearly, they can not stop in Myanmar.  My TA assured me that if O dropped a three day port, we would have the option to refund or move the funds to another cruise.  My TA’s company is a huge group and they have a division for luxury sailings with numerous agents that just book O.  They have the pull to make those assurances.

O told the agent today that Myanmar is safe and they will not issue a refund because I do not want to visit a port.  

I didn’t think that O would wait until all passengers are in Singapore before announcing that they would not be visiting Myanmar so no one has the option to refund the sailing unless they want to turn around and fly back home.

That kind of business practice is indefensible.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, the more ports the better said:

I guess I just had faith in O that they would be straight forward and let us know what is going on.  Clearly, they can not stop in Myanmar.  My TA assured me that if O dropped a three day port, we would have the option to refund or move the funds to another cruise.  My TA’s company is a huge group and they have a division for luxury sailings with numerous agents that just book O.  They have the pull to make those assurances.

O told the agent today that Myanmar is safe and they will not issue a refund because I do not want to visit a port.  

I didn’t think that O would wait until all passengers are in Singapore before announcing that they would not be visiting Myanmar so no one has the option to refund the sailing unless they want to turn around and fly back home.

That kind of business practice is indefensible.

I understand that anyway you found yourself in the difficult situation now. It’s not a good thing O insisted that Myanmar is safe to travel to with a possibility it’ll be canceled later. And you’re not the only one who booked that cruise to visit this port. It’ll be many others who are not happy with any outcome. 

Also, I believe that your TA provided you with an inaccurate information to begin with. COVID aside, it’s very rare (if ever) Oceania allowed cancellations or credits after FP because of an itinerary change. That’s stated in the T&C as well.

I wish you good luck with any resolution that is acceptable for you. In case you ended up going on this cruise would you please post if you’re able to get to Myanmar and how you’re feeling about that visit.

Will be following with a great interest. Thank you.

No one is going to Myanmar as I mentioned earlier as I’ve been tracking marine traffic. Viking, Seaborn, and Silversea to name a few have been avoiding it for months if not years. Oceania has been marketing the port, and hasn’t taken the time to adjust the itineraries yet.  It is my opinion that they are waiting to see if conditions improve which we know they will not and this is going to cost them because it takes up one week of our itineraries. There are two sailings this spring, one on the Insignia (part of the ATW), one on the Nautica, then one in the winter on the Riviera. Most media outlets raised an eyebrow when Oceania marketed their grand voyages through Myanmar last year.  Contrary to what some others have said, in my experience, because this is a significant portion of the itinerary, you will likely get offered at some point an onboard credit or a refund or the ability to change you sailing when they finally get around to changing this itinerary. Shame on them!

• Like 1

Thank you for posting this topic. I am booked on Nautica April 2024 Singapore to Cape Town… a wonderful itinerary with Myanmar the primary reason for choosing this expensive trip. I will watch closely to see how O handles things this year and definitely cancel before FP if they don’t disclose what a change in itinerary would look like. Troubled time the world over!

Also following this with interest…

For those of us on the current full ATW, if “O” decides at some point to divert around Myanmar, while being a disappointment to some, many of us will just take it in stride, as part of the adventure of travel.  Worst case would be an extra three sea days, or better would be extra time in the previous or following ports, or any nearby alternative choices where a berth was available.

I understand the concern of those just booking a segment mainly to reach Myanmar…

• Like 2