Flying into and out of Paris

crusinbanjo

19 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

I think sometimes there are people with mobility issues who worry more about making their flight because they cannot walk very fast and they want to be sure to make their flight.  On arrival at their final destination it may not be as big an issue if they can walk more slowly.  I have had the same issue when recovering from surgery and booked the wheelchair on just one side of the trip.

Exactly! My sister can walk fine. She just can't do the 2-3 miles it takes to transfer to the gate in Heathrow!

Thanks all.  Mrs Banjo is doing just fine and is moving a little tentative, but not in need of any special treatment.

in any case, our trip through CGD went without a hitch.  Our Air France plane landed on time, transport to and from the Hyatt hotel went as planned and the flight to Amman Jordan left on schedule and best of all, our luggage arrived with us, so all went well.

I won’t post anymore about this trip in this forum, (because it is not a SS cruise), but will post some details in the river cruise section for anyone interested.  

thanks all for the info and insights!

• Like 1

For a few years now I have needed some assistance at airports - I can walk, but fairly slowly and not long distances, but worse cannot stand for very long.  As we all know, that tends to happen at a gate, often for quite a time.  So in spite of feeling a bit of a fraud, I have used the assistance - and been told by staff that they get quite a few people who definitely do not need it, but have no option but to provide it even though it annoys them.  If I could show everyone my X-ray with all the metal in my leg it might help!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, lincslady said:

For a few years now I have needed some assistance at airports - I can walk, but fairly slowly and not long distances, but worse cannot stand for very long.  As we all know, that tends to happen at a gate, often for quite a time.  So in spite of feeling a bit of a fraud, I have used the assistance - and been told by staff that they get quite a few people who definitely do not need it, but have no option but to provide it even though it annoys them.  If I could show everyone my X-ray with all the metal in my leg it might help!

Don’t feel bad about that.  Prior to my knee replacement, 5 year ago now, I could not walk 100 yards and used the wheel chair service and my trusty crutches to get around in airports as well as on the ships and on excursions.  But, I know how you feel.  Sometimes you do need the help, even if you feel guilty asking for it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

OK, I have my limit for the ski season. It is almost April and it just will not go away 😞

Ah, c'mon... you're a mountain girl!  You know us mountain folk aren't allowed to reach our limit until June.  And then, at that time, we start worrying if we'll see an "early" season snow post 4th of July. 😉

• Haha 1

This is such a timely thread for me. I have double hip replacements and have a lot of metal implants as a result. One hip was implanted over 25 years ago, the other one is “younger” but has been done twice…Okay….that all said, I have only used the airport wheel chair service once….in Heathrow very soon after an operation. I HATED IT, and felt embarrassed, and concerned that some one who needed it more would think I was a lazy opportunist. 
And now, about 15 years older, and a lot less mobile, I am concerned about making a SS arranged flight to Osaka with a really tight connection from Atlanta in San Francisco and on to Japan. I think this thread has convinced me to get a wheel chair and to buck up because the service is not designed just for the most disabled. I know I will be very uncomfortable, but, once again, my CC “ friends” have given me a new, very reassuring perspective. I’m going to call United tomorrow and request a wheelchair. 

• Like 2

I will be overnighting at the Marriott Hotel Paris CDG Airport.  It appears that most of the hotels at the airport provide "shuttles" to and from the airport but it sounds like the shuttles they refer to are commercial shuttles that stop at each hotel on a regular schedule and pickup and drop off at designated airport locations, mainly terminal 2.  The Marriott description of their shuttle service makes it sound like they have their own shuttle that is on call and can drop us off at our departure terminal (Terminal 1).  Has anyone had experience with the Marriott shuttle?

Most of these airport hotel shuttles do an adequate job of getting you to the airport, although many stop at other hotels on the way, and can take longer than you hope.  We always tip them and say thanks, although I'm amazed how most folks don't.  My wife and I have had a few unfortunate shuttle experiences leading to almost missing flights.  I suggest, if your hotel has a Concierge, ask them about it. If they don't give you an unqualified assurance about the shuttle, slip a 5 or 10 euro note to them, and ask them to arrange for a driver to pick you up and take you directly to the airport.  It will cost money, but you won't waste any time, and given how much you spend to take a cruise, it is an insurance policy.  After many years of traveling, we have come to appreciate that a good hotel's concierge is your best way to extract reliable service from the local community.  Money spent on that is well worth it.  Crucial travel connections are not a place to economize!