Flying into and out of Paris

crusinbanjo

I have been reading about the protests in France over the retirement age.  Looks like things will heat up even more.  So has anybody experienced difficulties at Charles de Gaulle airport? Specifically, with baggage moving to connecting flights, and / or schedules?  Mrs Banjo and I will be flying into and out of Paris in a few days, so we are concerned.

It is common to experience difficulties at CDG even in normal times.

(I probably exaggerate, but CDG is one of my least-loved airports).

You may want to check out flyertalk which contains information on delays in near real time. Also the news.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, pavementends said:

It is common to experience difficulties at CDG even in normal times.

(I probably exaggerate, but CDG is one of my least-loved airports).

You may want to check out flyertalk which contains information on delays in near real time. Also the news.

Try Delhi.

• Haha 1

Just now, Daveywavey70 said:

Try Delhi.

Yikes. That's a scrum.

Banjo - we like flying through CDG. I've always found it to be straightforward and I've made tight connections there (c. 1h, changing between Schengen and non-Schengen) without difficulty. Things can go wrong anywhere. We flew in and out several times within the last year w/o any problem.

If there's a strike planned then all bets are off, I guess. If I were in your shoes, traveling in a time of strikes I'd try to go carry-on only, and I'd hopefully be flying business class or have another way to access the priority lanes (at immigration, security, etc). At CDG they are called "No 1 Access" and they do generally save time.

Hope all is smooth!

• Like 1

We have only flown through CDG once and it was okay…kind of.  We were coming home from Dubai at the end of an 18-day cruise on the Silver Spirit.  Great cruise but the flights home were exhausting even in first/business class.  Landed in CDG at something like 5 AM to catch a connection to Atlanta and eventually home.  The airport was virtually deserted which was fine but the staff, particularly the security staff, were rude.  I don’t know if it was because we’d flown in from an Arab country, though we were on Air France, but it seemed like we were subjected to extra security even though we were just transiting and not going landside.   Once we got through the hassle everything was fine but I can’t say it was one of my favorite.  Guess it didn’t help that the stop in CDG was the first leg of a 26-hour trip home that had started in Dubai at 2 AM.   

About 15 years ago we traveled Air France from Frankfurt to, if I remember correctly, Atlanta. Anyway, on the return the inbound flight to CDG was delayed and there was something like 45 minutes before the Frankfurt flight took off. To our surprise we were met at the aircraft by an airport vehicle which whisked us to the other end of the airfield to board the flight which was waiting on the taxiway. 

I always wonder if those onboard thought we must be VIPs - normal people surely don't arrive so precipitately during the taxi. Whatever, I was immensely impressed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We're connecting in CDG on Air France Saturday morning on our way to Lisbon and the Silver Moon. 85 minute connection. I'm not too worried about us making the connection. But I am worried that any protest or slowdown by the baggage folks may affect our baggage. There are 3 flights to Lisbon later in the day. So even if there are problems, hopefully they get sorted out fairly quickly. Not anything I can do about it now. 

• Like 1

On 3/22/2023 at 10:30 AM, Desperate to Sail said:

We're connecting in CDG on Air France Saturday morning on our way to Lisbon and the Silver Moon. 85 minute connection. I'm not too worried about us making the connection. But I am worried that any protest or slowdown by the baggage folks may affect our baggage. There are 3 flights to Lisbon later in the day. So even if there are problems, hopefully they get sorted out fairly quickly. Not anything I can do about it now. 

“Nothing I can do about it now” a great tune from Willy Nelson.  Mrs Banjo and I are in the same state of mind, as we prepare to leave Sunday on Air France as well.

On 3/22/2023 at 8:30 AM, Desperate to Sail said:

Not anything I can do about it now. 

Have you considered purchasing and using luggage trackers. They need to be specific to your phone Apple or Android. You set them up and then put them inside your luggage. At least you’d not have to rely on the airlines to know where your bags were. 

On 3/25/2023 at 10:44 AM, zqtchas said:

For a faster connection go the wheelchair way!

Haha, pretty good idea.  Mrs Banjo will be donning her sling to protect here recently broken arm through the airports.  She is healing nicely, but still has very limited range of motion.  Maybe that will get us a bit of priority…….  Anyway, we are off in just a few hours…. Very excited!

• Like 2

On 3/25/2023 at 7:44 AM, zqtchas said:

For a faster connection go the wheelchair way!

You must be one of those folks who use the wheelchair to board early, yet get miraculously healed inflight and can just walk off at the end of the flight.

Board the ship the same way?

4 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

You must be one of those folks who use the wheelchair to board early, yet get miraculously healed inflight and can just walk off at the end of the flight.

Why would you make this post?  Your comment seems to be really out of line, especially when making an assumption, about someone’s personal condition of which you know nothing about.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Board the ship the same way?

maybe I should have placed a smiley face afterward so as not to upset you🤐

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Why would you make this post?  Your comment seems to be really out of line, especially when making an assumption, about someone’s personal condition of which you know nothing about.

Because at no point in the thread was there any mention of the Banjos having any kind of mobility issue.  Then, zqtchas posted the following:

For a faster connection go the wheelchair way!  (ed: see post #11)

Since there was no mention previously about any mobility issue, the only interpretation is that he believes that one should use a mobility assistance service - not to help with a genuine need - but as a way to move faster.  And since he suggests that practice to others, it's not a stretch to believe that it's a regular practice of that poster.

I have ZERO issue with anyone with a genuine mobility issue using a wheelchair service.  I do have an issue with taking that assuredly finite resource away from those who need it, just to get through an airport faster.

And yes....I have personally seen people have those miraculous recoveries onboard.  Using a wheelchair to board early and then not using them on arrival.  And to me, that stinks to high heaven.

4 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Since there was no mention previously about any mobility issue, the only interpretation is that he believes that one should use a mobility assistance service - not to help with a genuine need

No, that's not the only interpretation. In fact, with the exclamation point, I definitely read it as humor — which turns out was the correct interpretation. 

1 minute ago, cruiseej said:

No, that's not the only interpretation. In fact, with the exclamation point, I definitely read it as humor — which turns out was the correct interpretation. 

Never was taught that an exclamation point meant "humor".  In the world of proper grammar and punctuation, an exclamation point is for "emphasis" or "exclamation".

58 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Never was taught that an exclamation point meant "humor".  In the world of proper grammar and punctuation, an exclamation point is for "emphasis" or "exclamation".

well, with your 14k you are much more experienced than i am at  analyzing situations from 35,000 feet than i am at ground level.  so what ever.....

Update:  Flight to CDG was 1 hour late departing DFW and 20 min late arriving. Left with 1 hour to connect. AF crew told us don’t goof off and move as quickly as we could. 

Lisbon flight was already boarding when we got to gate. But it was 30 min late departing because of delays in bussing passengers out to the plane on the tarmac. We and our baggage made the flight but it was very stressful.

Lisbon is a wonderful city and the weather fantastic. The Tivoli is a very nice hotel. Easily the best SS hotel we’ve experienced. Heading to Fatima today. Board the Silver Moon tomorrow.

Wishing everyone pleasant travels.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Desperate to Sail said:

Update:  Flight to CDG was 1 hour late departing DFW and 20 min late arriving. Left with 1 hour to connect. AF crew told us don’t goof off and move as quickly as we could. 

Lisbon flight was already boarding when we got to gate. But it was 30 min late departing because of delays in bussing passengers out to the plane on the tarmac. We and our baggage made the flight but it was very stressful.

Lisbon is a wonderful city and the weather fantastic. The Tivoli is a very nice hotel. Easily the best SS hotel we’ve experienced. Heading to Fatima today. Board the Silver Moon tomorrow.

Wishing everyone pleasant travels.

Our flight from Boston, (which had been previously canceled and rebooked to an earlier flight), departed on time and arrived on time, 6:05 am Paris time.  We spent the next 6 hours in a day use hotel and are now waiting to board our next leg to Jordan.  Mrs Banjo made it through security lines without incident and actually, the lines were surprisingly short.  Only worry now is that our luggage has been at CDG for about 10 hours, we hope it didn’t get lost!😳

23 minutes ago, crusinbanjo said:

Our flight from Boston, (which had been previously canceled and rebooked to an earlier flight), departed on time and arrived on time, 6:05 am Paris time.  We spent the next 6 hours in a day use hotel and are now waiting to board our next leg to Jordan.  Mrs Banjo made it through security lines without incident and actually, the lines were surprisingly short.  Only worry now is that our luggage has been at CDG for about 10 hours, we hope it didn’t get lost!😳

Hope you both have a wonderful cruise🙂

• Like 1

18 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Because at no point in the thread was there any mention of the Banjos having any kind of mobility issue.  Then, zqtchas posted the following:

For a faster connection go the wheelchair way!  (ed: see post #11)

Since there was no mention previously about any mobility issue, the only interpretation is that he believes that one should use a mobility assistance service - not to help with a genuine need - but as a way to move faster.  And since he suggests that practice to others, it's not a stretch to believe that it's a regular practice of that poster.

I have ZERO issue with anyone with a genuine mobility issue using a wheelchair service.  I do have an issue with taking that assuredly finite resource away from those who need it, just to get through an airport faster.

And yes....I have personally seen people have those miraculous recoveries onboard.  Using a wheelchair to board early and then not using them on arrival.  And to me, that stinks to high heaven.

I think sometimes there are people with mobility issues who worry more about making their flight because they cannot walk very fast and they want to be sure to make their flight.  On arrival at their final destination it may not be as big an issue if they can walk more slowly.  I have had the same issue when recovering from surgery and booked the wheelchair on just one side of the trip.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gourmet Gal said:

I think sometimes there are people with mobility issues who worry more about making their flight because they cannot walk very fast and they want to be sure to make their flight.  On arrival at their final destination it may not be as big an issue if they can walk more slowly. 

Totally agree.  There are a myriad of reasons why someone would need, or want, to use the wheelchair services offered by an airline.  FlyerTalker showed an utter lack of disability awareness and should be ashamed of the post directed to zqtchas.