QM2 Refit? Refresh?

Mudhen

2 hours ago, Bell Boy said:

I'm surprised that you haven't any photos for us . By the way, are these 'so called new cabins' at a premium .   

I don't have any photos for these so called cabins as you put it.

The steward was kind enough to show us, and I had no intention of getting him in any trouble by putting them on here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

Yes those cabins would interesst me, too. Also- does anyone know if the changed all chairs in Britannia? I would suppose so- but one never knows. Thx.

Did they change any furniture on Deck 8 aft?

No outside furniture was changed. I checked. As I don’t remember there ever being anything wrong with the chairs in Britannia level 2 I wouldn’t have noticed if they had been changed. 

Edited by Winifred 22

9 hours ago, transatlantic fan said:

I don't have any photos for these so called cabins as you put it.

The steward was kind enough to show us, and I had no intention of getting him in any trouble by putting them on here.

Oops  sorry if you found my question irritating , you provided interesting information I'm sure I'm not the only one who would have liked to have seen/hear more.  

27 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

Not sure but I think the umbrage may have been at the use of the term "cabin" rather than stateroom.

I think it's about as important a distinction as calling a cruise on Cunard a "voyage," frankly.

Or referring to them as Rooms, as the author did in their post 168 

34 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

Not sure but I think the umbrage may have been at the use of the term "cabin" rather than stateroom.

I think it's about as important a distinction as calling a cruise on Cunard a "voyage," frankly.

So just what IS the proper name for a place where people sleep on a ship?

Cabin? Stateroom? Suite? and the distinction is........?

Seriously, not trying to make trouble here, but would like to know the proper verbage......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mudhen said:

Seriously, not trying to make trouble here, but would like to know the proper verbage......

Yes, this is something I have wondered also!

1 hour ago, Mudhen said:

We holiday in a cabin on a Cunard cruise.

2 hours ago, Mudhen said:

I'll add my two cents about this weighty topic 🙂.

In my view, "Suite" should only be used to describe the Grill accommodations. As a general term for any of the onboard accommodations, "Stateroom" is a somewhat more sophisticated sounding alternative to "Cabin" but you'll see both of those two terms used interchangeably. I know I use both in my postings although I think I've tended to use "Cabin" more lately simply because it's shorter.

Cunard uses "Stateroom" on the booking confirmations I've received for Britannia grade accommodations. Cunard pretty much sticks to using "Suite" for Grill accommodations and "Stateroom" for Britannia accommodations in their brochures and throughout most of their website. When they are not referring to any specific kind of accommodation, they use "Stateroom".  But I also note Cunard uses another more generic alternative "Room" during the online booking process on their website.

• Like 3

On 12/1/2023 at 8:51 PM, Liberal_Baggie said:

Did anyone get to the bottom of what went on with Deck 8 . Clearly cabins were removed was this a trial for a future refit or was it done for access to other equipment? I’m guessing cabins on deck 8 port side Aft were the ones taken out anybody got any information?

On 12/2/2023 at 3:14 AM, Winifred 22 said:

I walked all round deck 8 corridors and looked in the Verandah and could see no difference whatsoever except new carpet on the floors. No new exit to deck 8.

There was a Senior Officer's party today and I inquired about this from an engineering officer.  According to him there were no plumbing or other issues with the cabins removed but the replacement was just part of renewing areas of the ship.   The only noticeable difference - if one looks closely - is that the "peepholes" on 8116-8130 are smaller than on the original cabins.

Also, the outdoor Jacuzzis were replaced along with new steel decking around the pools.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, JT1101 said:

Probably Stateroom for there Non-Grills and Suites for Grills?

Last year when we were on Deck 13 I noticed a sign in the corridor leading to the five inside staterooms stating "suites 13015 - 13023". 

Regarding the new Deck 8 staterooms 8116 to 8130 (port side only as I read it)  number 8130 is a Queens Grill suite.  

Edited by david,Mississauga
clarification

20 hours ago, david,Mississauga said:

...Regarding the new Deck 8 staterooms 8116 to 8130 (port side only as I read it)  number 8130 is a Queens Grill suite.  

8124, 8126, and 8128 are wheel chair accessible cabins while 8130 is a Q7.

I took a walk down to the end and "small peepholes" are found in 8116-8126.  8128 and 8130 had the larger peepholes.  This suggests that only 5 cabins were updated.

Guest SilverHengroen
19 hours ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

A "room" is in an hotel, a cabin is at sea and and "suite" or a "stateroom" just a lot of puffery to me. Heck, it even rhymes. 

Cabin has sufficed since 1840... although I think Dickens called his in BRITANNIA, an "upholstered coffin."

[An] Utterly impractical, thoroughly hopeless, profoundly preposterous box were his exact words I seem to recall. Cunard actually referenced this in one of their little coffee table books about the ships of their fleet over the years 😆

Ships sailing on 'Liner voyages' usually had 'Cabins' and you reserved a Berth (or Berths) on your Sailing, or aka 'Passage...'

There is an early reference to 'Staterooms' on White Star Lines 'big ships' in the Edwardian times - I guess these were First Class.
The term Stateroom is also mentioned in Matson Lines Cruise Brochures of the 1930's along with the Lanai Suites (with a private Balcony) were seen on the rather lovely Matson Lines 'White Ships' that sailed from San Francisco to Hawaii, the South Pacific, New Zealand and Australia in the 1930's.

The four original "white ships" - MALOLO (later MATSONIA), MARIPOSA, MONTEREY and LURLINE - were built from 1927 and the 1930s, the heyday of steamship travel.
3 of them ended up with Greece's X Chandris Lines as the RHMS's Queen Frederica, Britanis, and the Ellinis.

Edited by rog747
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Interesting info....thanks for sharing. Of course I still don't know what I'm supposed to be calling our "abode" on the QM2! We're in a Princess Grill...ah, room.....is that a suite? stateroom? cabin?

Or does that really matter what it's called? We're on the QM2 and are happy about that so who cares!

On 12/6/2023 at 7:37 AM, Underwatr said:

• Like 1

I would say your ''Cabin''  is a totally safe bet and 100% understood by anyone on-board lol.

The Cunard Grills Suites experience - Accommodations - 
In a Queens Grill or Princess Grill Suite, you'll find attentive service and even more space in which to relax in comfort and style.

If you're lucky enough to have booked in one of the high grade and Historically 'named' Queens Grill's accomodations then your ''Suite'' is most appropriate. 

As for Princess Grill, then 'Suite or Stateroom' is a good one.

As for Britannia Cabins, then Stateroom or Cabin is as good as for me LOL

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mudhen said:

Interesting info....thanks for sharing. Of course I still don't know what I'm supposed to be calling our "abode" on the QM2! We're in a Princess Grill...ah, room.....is that a suite? stateroom? cabin?

Or does that really matter what it's called? We're on the QM2 and are happy about that so who cares!

In my previous reply I mentioned Cunard calls Grills accommodations "Suites" and Britannia accommodations "Staterooms" in their brochures and most of their online materials. Then during the booking process, they simply refer to them as "Rooms". Now, I'll add that on the receipts you sign for onboard purchases, there is a line or box to record your "Cabin" number.

• Haha 1

Ha, a VIP point of debate.😀

I'm afraid I can't in all honesty say 'come to our suite' be it hotel or ship without it sounding, to me, a bit sniffy so hotel accommodation with a couple of rooms still remains a room for us and ship accommodation with a couple of rooms remains a cabin.

Each to their own. If anyone wants to call their accommodation a suite, then go ahead. It's a free world out there thank goodness. 🙂

• Like 3

I would call a room for sleeping in or anything else one might do in your private space on a ship, a cabin. I would apply that to rooms on sleeper trains as well.

I can understand that a multi roomed cabin could be described as a suite (of rooms).

From a practical point of view [cabin & suite] have the same number of letters if one is writing the word, but a larger proportion of folk are likely to spell the former correctly.

To me cruise lines use the term stateroom in promotional material simply to try and impress.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, bluemarble said:

In my previous reply I mentioned Cunard calls Grills accommodations "Suites" and Britannia accommodations "Staterooms" in their brochures and most of their online materials. Then during the booking process, they simply refer to them as "Rooms". Now, I'll add that on the receipts you sign for onboard purchases, there is a line or box to record your "Cabin" number.

Cunard wants to maintain its consistency in terms of vagueness to us pax with both the classification of rooms/cabins/staterooms/suites coupled with their ever changing descriptions of the dress code requirements/suggestions/adherents etc. 

We can always involve a dress code comment within every topic 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, D&N said:

I would call a room for sleeping in or anything else one might do in your private space on a ship, a cabin. I would apply that to rooms on sleeper trains as well.

I can understand that a multi roomed cabin could be described as a suite (of rooms).

From a practical point of view [cabin & suite] have the same number of letters if one is writing the word, but a larger proportion of folk are likely to spell the former correctly.

To me cruise lines use the term stateroom in promotional material simply to try and impress.

Couldn't have said it better  D&N  

On a previous cruise in 2022 I met a delightful couple who invited me for drinks - the conversation went something like this  Quote;   "We'd like you to join us for drinks in our 'Cabin'- 6204 tomorrow evening"

on arrival it turned out it was the Mauretania suite. 😉

No hairs and graces from this couple 👍 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1