Is mid August too late to cruise Alaska?

zdad59

We just had mama’s retirement trip to England & Scotland canceled so I’m scrambling to arrange a different trip.    Alaska has always been on the list.   To do it right we’d want a week in Denali and then a week cruising South.   Is August too late in the season to do it right ?

looking for the wisdom of the CC boards.    You’ve never steered me wrong before. 

3 minutes ago, zdad59 said:

We just had mama’s retirement trip to England & Scotland canceled so I’m scrambling to arrange a different trip.    Alaska has always been on the list.   To do it right we’d want a week in Denali and then a week cruising South.   Is August too late in the season to do it right ?

looking for the wisdom of the CC boards.    You’ve never steered me wrong before. 

I hope not, I'm going to be on the Alaska cruise the last week of august!

--gregma

• Like 1

Not sure where you are from and how far you are coming.

Denali - there was a rock slide and the main road is closed at Mile 43 until Summer 2025. This would not be the year to plan to go to Denali as you won't get far into the park.

Weather is always a guess in Alaska but historically, there is the least amount of rain in May and each month after it has more rain with September and October having the worst potential. After saying that - August is very popular and weather can be good and hot. Or it can be rainy. Just be prepared.

If you are interested in land options - I would look at other places in Alaska other than Denali. I am sure several on this board can make suggestions and if you read past threads, you will see recommendations.

We went in mid-August and had near perfect weather. Only one day of rain and that was in Icy Strait Point and it didn't even last all day.  I think the key is to pack in layers and hope for the best whenever you visit Alaska. It is one of our favorite desinations!

We are booked for August 28th and are doing a land tour pre-cruise.  Everything I have read is to be prepared for rain so we will pack accordingly, if we don't need rain gear great but we will be ready just in case.

• Like 2

I treated my sister to an Alaskan cruise as a retirement present.  She had never been, but I'd been multiple times with my late husband.  Booked for Sept. for right after she retired.  It was rainy and the glaciers were much less impressive than in the spring/early summer, especially Margerie Glacier in Glacier N. P.  Mostly bare rock as the glacier had receded considerably from its May position.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cw2go said:

I've sailed in Aug and Sept, had great weather for both so IMO August is fine but as @Coral posted above, you may want to re-think the land portion to Denali. 

Patty 

There have been plenty of reports of horrible weather in August and September. And plenty of reports of great weather during that time. The important thing is that historically - there is more rain during this time than earlier in the season. This is documented.

If one sails during this time - be prepared.

Edited by Coral

Denali is only a couple of hours drive for me when I'm in Fairbanks and I go every year at least once.  I would say skip Denali until the road is open except for late August when the Front country (first 25 miles of park road) explodes with fall color.  I have spent days driving back and forth taking pictures of the foliage and the bull moose that come down from the high country to pose in fire-red dwarf willow. I was deeply disappointed when I spent my first fall in Maine, as it is blah compared to a good year in interior Alaska.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wolfie11 said:

Denali is only a couple of hours drive for me when I'm in Fairbanks and I go every year at least once.  I would say skip Denali until the road is open except for late August when the Front country (first 25 miles of park road) explodes with fall color.  I have spent days driving back and forth taking pictures of the foliage and the bull moose that come down from the high country to pose in fire-red dwarf willow. I was deeply disappointed when I spent my first fall in Maine, as it is blah compared to a good year in interior Alaska.  

I wish we could but Denali Park is on my DH's wish list and for health reasons we can't keep putting it off.  He also decided he wanted late August because he has always wanted to see the salmon run.  I would prefer mid summer (or the Mediterranean) but this is his trip and I will prepared for whatever the weather brings....

11 hours ago, Coral said:

There have been plenty of reports of horrible weather in August and September. And plenty of reports of great weather during that time. The important thing is that historically - there is more rain during this time than earlier in the season. This is documented.

If one sails during this time - be prepared.

I agree! I know I was super lucky. I should have mentioned that, was more focused on the Denali portion of the OP's question. 

Patty 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wolfie11 said:

Wow - Maine is gorgeous in the fall! I would love to do Alaska interior in the fall once to see the colors. Maybe if I can ever retire.

Approx when is peak in Alaska for fall colors? I ask this knowing I have tried multiple times with multiple dates to hit the NE coast for fall colors and even though I hit the average date - I am either too early or too late.

10 minutes ago, cw2go said:

I agree! I know I was super lucky. I should have mentioned that, was more focused on the Denali portion of the OP's question. 

Patty 

I would definitely advise them to wait to go to Denali until the road is fully open. Though I think they could easily find beautiful places elsewhere to go interior.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Coral said:

I would definitely advise them to wait to go to Denali until the road is fully open. Though I think they could easily find beautiful places elsewhere to go interior.

No doubt! So many things to do! 

I'm coming in July this year and since the road is still closed we have opted to do a flight seeing tour w/landing out of Talkeetna to hopefully see Mt McKinley. Fingers crossed for a clear viewing day! 

Patty 

• Like 1

Much more likely to see the Salmon runs after mid-August.  Earlier than that you probably won't see them.  That also mens bears are enjoying the Salmon runs so the opportunity for some wildlife is better.

There is no wrong month to cruise Alaska.  You'll see stuff that is less likely in other months.  Other wildlife may not be as prevalent.  It all depends.

I've sailed Alaska six times from mid-May to September.  Each was great, each was different.  

• Like 1