Experience with booked air through Oceania

wcGma

I’ll interested in hearing of experiences with air flights booked through Oceania. On all previous cruises I have booked my own air but am considering the packages offered through Oceania. Would appreciate previous experiences, especially in regards to Dubai and Abu Dhabi. I am booked on upcoming December cruise which includes airfare. Does Oceania ever book direct flight from SFO to Dubai?   Or should I expect a connection and 23 hour transit time?  I aware there are no direct flights from Abu Dhabi. I am also booked on a Vista cruise leaving from Southampton. I assume that flight would be direct to London. 

Never  assume anything

As I often advise  book your own air  or  book via O & pay the deviation fee to choose the flights & routes 

Do the math  then decide

JMO

• Like 5

I just put in a request for custom air.  It took a week to come back and did not address the actual request I made.  I asked for a non-stop to London on the airline I have status with.  They came back with a connecting flight thru Kennedy on a different airline.  No differential but $398 of custom fee for the 2 of us.   I cant imagine the standard air is any different.   I certainly hope not anyway.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, flyer79 said:

I just put in a request for custom air.  It took a week to come back and did not address the actual request I made.  I asked for a non-stop to London on the airline I have status with.  They came back with a connecting flight thru Kennedy on a different airline.  No differential but $398 of custom fee for the 2 of us.   I cant imagine the standard air is any different.   I certainly hope not anyway.  

Did you give them the exact flights you wanted ?

You do not pay the fee until you & O agree on the flights  keep working with them until you are happy

If not DIY

• Like 1

I did give the exact flights.  I will keep trying. 

i will say I did price out the option I want and the option they gave me and both are significantly more expensive than the standard charge.   Might just roll with that at this point.

12 minutes ago, flyer79 said:

I did give the exact flights.  I will keep trying. 

i will say I did price out the option I want and the option they gave me and both are significantly more expensive than the standard charge.   Might just roll with that at this point.

Meaning doing it on your own is more expensive than using O Life air? If that's the case, I'd stick with what Oceania is offering. As @LHT28 said earlier, do the math and then decide.

I wouldn't use Oceania Air again because of the airlines that they booked us on. it may have been our travel agents fault, but Lufthansa premium economy (no spirits served for PE passengers!) with a long transit at Frankfurt and return on ITA (cramped coach seats on the first flight) and terrible premium economy (again, no spirits served to PE passengers!) and food.

I went with it initially because we were flying to and from Miami, and the flights avoided getting caught in the NE USA winter weather and air traffic control delays, but I wouldn't do that again.

Quick note for folks.  Abu Dhabi (AUH) is a little over an hour away from Dubai (DXB), with various land options between the two.

Often you can find significantly lower air pricing in/out of AUH as opposed to DXB.  I recently found that flying into AUH was about half the cost of DXB - and in business class, that was a big savings.

Think of it like Fort Lauderdale and Miami - pick whichever works best overall, not just the closest.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/25/2023 at 10:11 AM, godfreyb said:

I wouldn't use Oceania Air again because of the airlines that they booked us on. it may have been our travel agents fault, but Lufthansa premium economy (no spirits served for PE passengers!) with a long transit at Frankfurt and return on ITA (cramped coach seats on the first flight) and terrible premium economy (again, no spirits served to PE passengers!) and food.

I went with it initially because we were flying to and from Miami, and the flights avoided getting caught in the NE USA winter weather and air traffic control delays, but I wouldn't do that again.

Just a clarification here: no spirits AT ALL in PE or just not free ones?

For the OP - “ It’s like a box of chocolates, you’ll never know what you’re getting until you open the box!”

Some will report very good results with O Air, while others can report poor too bad. In today’s market, unless you are willing to most often pay a premium for a better routing, your chances of satisfaction are diminished. 

Waiting until 45-90 days preflight to book a routing to a popular international destination is like looking for good used car in a junk yard. It may be there, but good luck.

I wouldn't assume ANY flights would be direct with O these days. In the past I had usually been "OK" with their arrangements. I'm on a Vista cruise leaving from Southampton as well and when I looked at where they had me flying into, it would require at least one plane change and perhaps two. Took the air credit and booked my own NONstop. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Just a clarification here: no spirits AT ALL in PE or just not free ones?

Nothing, none, nada, zilch......not even available to buy. The stewardess (sorry I am old fashioned) and I had a laugh about it as she giggled when I said that it was ridiculous not to have spirits for PE or even economy passengers.  I could have done with a couple of G&T's after the mess that is Miami Airport. I didn't even bother to ask on ITA as I could see that they had none on the cart.  Sparkling wine wasn't bad so I contented myself with that.  But a PE experience on Lufty and ITA? Definitely not!

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, godfreyb said:

Nothing, none, nada, zilch......not even available to buy. The stewardess (sorry I am old fashioned) and I had a laugh about it as she giggled when I said that it was ridiculous not to have spirits for PE or even economy passengers.  I could have done with a couple of G&T's after the mess that is Miami Airport. I didn't even bother to ask on ITA as I could see that they had none on the cart.  Sparkling wine wasn't bad so I contented myself with that.  But a PE experience on Lufty and ITA? Definitely not!

Is that by design, because it seems very weird. I got complimentary spirits last month on a short hop flight DCA-CVG on American and was in PE. I'm hoping this was a one-off.

Here is my story and I hope it makes sense and assists in some way.  I was driven by the idea that I could upgrade my Oceania Air from Coach to Premium Coach for $299 (amount may vary) per one way trip.  The fact that Oceania had coach fares from hubs to my Europe destinations was also attractive. Another words, the marketing was done very well. 

I then went on another social media site that has only video's, looked the all the brands Premium Coach offerings.  What they had, was was not included.  Very similar to the way I look at a new cruise brand like Oceania to me. The services and amenities were all over the board.  Since you have basically no say in the brand, itinerary and sometimes seating (I know all about the deviation fee); it was hit or miss.  

That is when I did the math.  How much would Oceania reduce my fair if I did my own air travel.  I added the $299.00 per one way trip per passenger, I added the deviation fee.  It became clear that with some advanced playing, one could control the brand, itinerary and seating at the same or very close to the amount they would have paid Oceania. 

As logic would tell you, waiting to soon to the final payment causes those airline prices if done on your own to go up.  That has to be part of your due diligence. When a normal person who has done very little international travel thinks airfare, the naturally get a little scared.  My suggestion is, fight the fear.  Do some studying the moment you book or are going to book your cruise. 

The Fully Refundable fair I purchased for my friends joining us has gone up $500.00 per person.  It is fully refundable because I wanted they to be able to cancel if they choose not to go on the cruise.  What most folks don't know is many airlines, as the flight gets close will offer a cash upgrade for higher category seats.  Does not happen all the time but has happened to me. 

Regardless of which strategy you take.  The key to airfare, cruises, excursions and drink packages is to do your homework and have realistic expectations.  Know what you are going to get or not get while you can still change your mind.  To find out to lake and be angry about it is just a lack of preparation.    

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 3

Looking at the Oceania site to see what they comp you (air credit) if you do your own travel arrangements.  I couldn't find an explanation.  Help....

Edited by cluso

20 minutes ago, cluso said:

Looking at the Oceania site to see what they comp you (air credit) if you do your own travel arrangements.  I couldn't find an explanation.  Help....

look at the cruise only fare  compared to the w/air& Olife perk

if you want the O life perk  it is usually the same as the OBC they offer

Best to just call & ask your TA or O

less hassle in the long run

JMO

Subtract the cruise only fare from the cruise with olife, airperk.  Then subtract half the amount of OBC that would be the olife OBC amount (ie. Half of $600 which is per cabin is $300 per person.). This should be the amount you would be paying O for airfare per person.

Edit, sorry I see LHT already answered.

Edited by Woofa

2 minutes ago, Woofa said:

Subtract the cruise only fare from the cruise with olife, airperk.  Then subtract half the amount of OBC that would be the olife OBC amount (ie. Half of $600 which is per cabin is $300 per person.). This should be the amount you would be paying O for airfare per person.

I forgot about the 1/2 of the OBC part

which you covered

I just let my TA  handle the mess

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Woofa said:

So, that amount would be air credit per person? I am just trying to sort out the costs for planning purposes.  We have a lot of FF miles to burn and usually stay near the departure location for several days before boarding.  We also leave home out of a small airport (joint use military) so flight itinerary is important.

Then there is O Life Ultimate and O Life Choice.  I am assuming the Ultimate Offer is when they need to sell more cabins and has an expiration date.  And, the Choice Offer is available all the time.  Is that correct?

Yes so for example I went to the Oceania website and looked at a December 19, 2023 cruise From Dubai to Abu Dhabi on Riviera.  Using a B3 veranda the cost for Olive with airfare is $4449 per person.  Cruise only is $2849 leaving a difference of $1600 per person.  I then subtract out $300 as the olife offer is $600 per cabin leaving me with airfare credit of $1300 per person.  So if you took cruise with olife but not the air it should be $3149 per person.

Of course you should double check this with your TA and/or Oceania first but I believe that is the way to determine the air credit.

Please be aware if this the cruise your looking at they are offering ultimate olife on penthouse b cabins at the moment.

Olife ultimate includes all three perks instead of just one and can be a nice deal depending upon how you cruise.

Edited by Woofa
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, cluso said:

So, that amount would be air credit per person? I am just trying to sort out the costs for planning purposes.  We have a lot of FF miles to burn and usually stay near the departure location for several days before boarding.  We also leave home out of a small airport (joint use military) so flight itinerary is important.

Then there is O Life Ultimate and O Life Choice.  I am assuming the Ultimate Offer is when they need to sell more cabins and has an expiration date.  And, the Choice Offer is available all the time.  Is that correct?

You can do a dummy booking 

just check off no air  & I believe it still includes the O Life in the total

As I say I just let my TA do the work  for me  then I know it is correct 😉

• Thanks 1

Figuring 'air credit' has been explained a lot of different ways by a lot of different posters, but it's really easy, and my answer always matches what I've been told by my TA for any given cruise. When doing a dummy booking, take the number on the first page 'O Life fare w/airfare', choose 'no air' on the second page, and then just subtract the number on the next page, 'Promotional fare' from the first number= 'air credit'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also consider that if you are not starting/ending at one of O's listed airports, you will pay extra; it has been $99 each way but prices having been changing on other things, so...

Also, if flying in out early (greater than 3 days if recent CC posts are the new norm) the deviation fee kicks in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/24/2023 at 3:03 PM, LHT28 said:

Did you give them the exact flights you wanted ?

You do not pay the fee until you & O agree on the flights  keep working with them until you are happy

If not DIY

Yep—I paid air deviation, gave them the exact flight I wanted — return from Rome to Charlotte from TA, abd got a non-stop direct on my preferred airline. Had priced a one-way myself (used miles to Miami embarkation port) and actually saved several thousand dollars booking through Oceania.

Edited by Furball83

5 minutes ago, Furball83 said:

Yep—I paid air deviation, gave them the exact flight I wanted — return from Rome to Charlotte from TA, abd got a non-stop direct on my preferred airline. Had priced a one-way myself (used mikes to Miami embarkation port) and actually saved several thousand dollars booking through Oceania.

Yes it can work for some  but your situation is different than FLYER 79