Chair hogs be warned

melbur

2 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

You forgot to mention the adults who are in there drinking but never leave. Wonder where they're relieving their bladders. Nothing like stewing in other people's urine. 

Urine is not dangerous.  Its the people who dont wipe their butts good that you need to worry about.   I cant even look at those tubs now.  Its sad,  i love hot tubs.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, resetjet said:

Urine is not dangerous.  Its the people who dont wipe their butts good that you need to worry about.   I cant even look at those tubs now.  Its sad,  i love hot tubs.

ack. now I can't, either. I hadn't thought about that until now. 🤢

52 minutes ago, momofmab said:

I like the idea of having to check in with the pool staff, who then walk you to the chair of your choice, and only allow you to save one other chair for someone who isn't there.  That would eliminate one person saving 16 chairs - 8 of the 16 would have to physically be at the pool also.  You could save one for your spouse/travel companion but if you're trying to save additional chairs for friends or kids, at least half of them would also have to be present.

The entitlement and ridiculousness of chair hogging doesn't come from someone who is sunbathing and goes to the buffet for lunch and is gone for 32 minutes, it comes from people who throw a book on 16 loungers at 6 am that then remain unused for 4+hours.  Many people who just want a couple of hours in the sun could use those loungers and still be out before the 16 hogs have even risen for the day.

Or you could just say, "Oh, a free book!" And sit down and start reading. 

• Like 2

I'm not too risk-averse.  I'll use the hot tubs and pools aren't a big deal for me.  However, if I was to feel squeamish about something, it would be the public lounge chairs.  I can only imagine what has been left behind, baking in the sun, on those things that probably never get washed off other than a good rain (I've personally never observed a crew member wash with soap and water a lounger or chair, just move them around).  At least a pool/hot tub has chemicals to TRY to manage the harmful bacteria.  Yes, I realize that many people put their towel(s) down on the lounger before using it.  But, there are many people and kids that don't.  Having said all that, we live in a harmful world, but, we need to live our own lives and accept the risks or not.  I'm going through a skin cancer thing right now, I know what caused it.  I'm having surgery in a couple of weeks.  I'll go right back to what I've always done, no change.  

On 3/27/2023 at 8:31 AM, TwoMisfits said:

Spectacular.  My fam and I swim on a cruise (not lay out), so we only need 1 chair for all 6 of our stuff, and we just find one when we arrive at the pools.  It would be nice to not struggle to find a chair.

just dont swim for longer than 30mins else... GONE!

3 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

or before they swim. 

I would if I saw others do it but now I just wash after since no one seems to care before so why waste my time lol.  But I think I've literally seen no one else use the showers after the pool/tub except me.

Any one who swims regular knows lol

1 hour ago, resetjet said:

Wiping is just smearing... Those in the know... Know lol.

I don't think people want to be in a urine soup either.

1 hour ago, njsmom said:

ack. now I can't, either. I hadn't thought about that until now. 🤢

That's why they chlorinate the pools and hot tubs but I doubt the level in hot tubs so never let water near your mouth (seeing kids diving in the hot tub is gross) and def rinse off in the shower literally right next to most hottubs soon as you get out.

On 3/27/2023 at 7:31 AM, TwoMisfits said:

Spectacular.  My fam and I swim on a cruise (not lay out), so we only need 1 chair for all 6 of our stuff, and we just find one when we arrive at the pools.  It would be nice to not struggle to find a chair.

Same, but we then stay in the pool for hours and move around to different pools without moving our stuff (because generally there won't actually be a closer seat). We never leave the pool area with our stuff on a chair, though. I'm always worried we'll be classed as a "chair hog" with these policies, but think it'll probably be a net positive.

I wish they'd just put some cubbies by the wall and I'd just leave my junk in a cubby.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

I find the shower beside the pool to be more refreshing than the hot tub and pool. As for the flowrider there’s no way someone can pee while riding so it’s all good. 😁

I take this as a challenge!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, carlosalonsor said:

Bananas in a bowl by the ketchup and mayo

Add in the new ones:

Once a day cabin cleaning, new menus, charge for second lobster tail, overworked cabin attendants taking on more cabins.  

On 3/27/2023 at 9:14 PM, cruisegus said:

All those problems go away when you take the time to talk to your pool attendants and those folks sitting next to you.

The real problem is those that drop a towel and book at 8 am and then are not seen or heard from again until noon

I understand what you are saying completely , but that doesn't change the fact that "chair hog" is becoming such a stereotyped term , that people who are acting 'reasonably ' get wrongfully lumped into the category .

To fix the "problem " to the satisfaction of the ones with the most extreme views on the subject , would mean that maybe 10% of people who use the chairs could do so as they are meant to be used . Some people seem to think it's like musical chairs and as soon as your A$$ leaves the cushion they should have the right to claim it.

On 3/27/2023 at 10:21 PM, Mum2Mercury said:

If we remove the chair hog problem, chairs would be available when you come back from that "quick" breakfast, which means you wouldn't feel it necessary to leave your things at the pool.  

You are kinda making my point for me ... Even though I am abiding by what the attendants are telling me is perfectly acceptable , you are insinuating that I should just take the time to pack everything up and lug towels , water bottles , sunscreen backpack to go grab a byte. There is nothing wrong with making your chair your base of operation for the day if you are using it properly and not abusing as many many do !

We spend the majority of every day by the pool ,and shouldn't get caught in the crossfire

Cheers

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LobsterStalker said:

I understand what you are saying completely , but that doesn't change the fact that "chair hog" is becoming such a stereotyped term , that people who are acting 'reasonably ' get wrongfully lumped into the category .

To fix the "problem " to the satisfaction of the ones with the most extreme views on the subject , would mean that maybe 10% of people who use the chairs could do so as they are meant to be used . Some people seem to think it's like musical chairs and as soon as your A$$ leaves the cushion they should have the right to claim it.

I was once called a chair hog here on CC because I posted  once I plant my butt in the lounger I stay in it for as long as I want. No time limit. That person thought after 1 to 2 hours max  I should leave and let someone else use the lounger. 🤣 

Edited by davekathy
  • Haha 4

On 3/28/2023 at 12:53 PM, carlosalonsor said:

It's funny how always Chair Hogs says that they go to the WJ for a "quick" breakfast... 

Their definition of quick is somehow relative.

Do you believe if the attendant says that is acceptable , that he is wrong and you are right ?

What else do you propose if DW and I sit in the theatre and grab a spot 40 minutes before showtime and 20 minutes later I go for a bathroom break that she should be accosted when she tells someone the seat is occupied ..?

2 minutes ago, LobsterStalker said:

Some people seem to think it's like musical chairs and as soon as your A$$ leaves the cushion they should have the right to claim it.

I'm not quite that radical.  However, I believe that if you are gone for more than an hour (I never thought 30 minutes was reasonable), then your "A$$" is out.  Now the trick is how/who starts the timing/clock. I believe the chairs should be uniquely numbered.  Staff comes by which could be up to an hour after you left the chair/lounger, notes the unique number and time in their handheld electronic device, and then folds the towel, whatever, in a unique fashion and places it in a certain location on the lounger OR places a PLACARD or card on the lounger/chair that would have to be moved or sat on top of, wind resistant, of course.  The staff member comes by no sooner than an hour later, which actually could be 2 hours after leaving the lounger/chair, if everything is exactly the same as the earlier visit or the card is still where it was left.  Sorry about that.  

This is just a concept, much more time would have to be put into it, of course.

6 minutes ago, davekathy said:

I was once called a chair hog here on CC because I posted  once I plant my butt in the lounger I stay in it for as long as I want. No time limit. That person thought after 1 to 2 hours max  I should leave and let someone else use the lounger. 🤣 

That person obviously doesn't understand the premise of the popular complaint.  

6 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

That person obviously doesn't understand the premise of the popular complaint.  

I did advise that person I am a card carrying HOG member. Different club though. Matter of fact I should wear my HOG T-shirt on our next cruise. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Haha 1

My opinion on what Royal can/should do...

1) Put up "cubbies" somewhere around the pool deck (or in more than one location).  In the amount of space 4-5 loungers takes, you can probably have space for 50(?) people to store things.  Then those who are literally just wanting some place to keep their stuff off the ground are taken care of.

2) Determine how long being "gone" from the chair is acceptable.  I know 30 minutes has been stated on CC for years, but I can also see being in the pool for longer.  So, let's say 1 hour.  Every hour at the top of the hour, pool attendants go to every chair that's only occupied by a towel.  Fold the towel and drape it over the top of the chair.  Every chair they find at with the towel at the top of the chair gets emptied and everything in the chair gets taken to the towel station.

So, someone shows up at say 9:05am and puts their towel down.  Attendant puts the towel on the top of the chair at 10am.  At 11am, if the towel is still at the top, the towel gets taken away.  So yes, that's two hours the chair has been "hogged".  

Hey, it's a start.  No, it won't prevent someone from hogging multiple chairs, or coming back every hour or so and putting the towels back on the "seats", but it's something.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, LobsterStalker said:

Do you believe if the attendant says that is acceptable , that he is wrong and you are right ?

What else do you propose if DW and I sit in the theatre and grab a spot 40 minutes before showtime and 20 minutes later I go for a bathroom break that she should be accosted when she tells someone the seat is occupied ..?

I don't remember quoting you or something but If the shoe fits...

I suggest that people that want to eat something go and grab some breakfast and then go to the pool lounges when they are ready to be there, not before. If everyone does this there would be enough chairs available for everyone. 😉

• Like 3

3 hours ago, OSUZorba said:

Same, but we then stay in the pool for hours and move around to different pools without moving our stuff (because generally there won't actually be a closer seat). We never leave the pool area with our stuff on a chair, though. I'm always worried we'll be classed as a "chair hog" with these policies, but think it'll probably be a net positive.

I wish they'd just put some cubbies by the wall and I'd just leave my junk in a cubby.

Based on what you just said , you are already being classed a "chair hog " by many... many in this thread !

Cheers