Chair hogs be warned

melbur

3 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

My opinion on what Royal can/should do...

1) Put up "cubbies" somewhere around the pool deck (or in more than one location).  In the amount of space 4-5 loungers takes, you can probably have space for 50(?) people to store things.  Then those who are literally just wanting some place to keep their stuff off the ground are taken care of.

2) Determine how long being "gone" from the chair is acceptable.  I know 30 minutes has been stated on CC for years, but I can also see being in the pool for longer.  So, let's say 1 hour.  Every hour at the top of the hour, pool attendants go to every chair that's only occupied by a towel.  Fold the towel and drape it over the top of the chair.  Every chair they find at with the towel at the top of the chair gets emptied and everything in the chair gets taken to the towel station.

So, someone shows up at say 9:05am and puts their towel down.  Attendant puts the towel on the top of the chair at 10am.  At 11am, if the towel is still at the top, the towel gets taken away.  So yes, that's two hours the chair has been "hogged".  

Hey, it's a start.  No, it won't prevent someone from hogging multiple chairs, or coming back every hour or so and putting the towels back on the "seats", but it's something.

Genuine Ply School Bag Cubby Holes - Class Furniture Solutions

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, davekathy said:

I was once called a chair hog here on CC because I posted  once I plant my butt in the lounger I stay in it for as long as I want. No time limit. That person thought after 1 to 2 hours max  I should leave and let someone else use the lounger. 🤣 

A lot of closed minded people on here that only choose to see one side of the story ... Their side

Yes , clearly a problem exists , and I agree , clearly there are steps that could be taken in the right direction , but blanket policies that supersede the ability for people who act with common sense to do so  , are not the answer 

17 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I'm not quite that radical.  However, I believe that if you are gone for more than an hour (I never thought 30 minutes was reasonable), then your "A$$" is out.  Now the trick is how/who starts the timing/clock. I believe the chairs should be uniquely numbered.  Staff comes by which could be up to an hour after you left the chair/lounger, notes the unique number and time in their handheld electronic device, and then folds the towel, whatever, in a unique fashion and places it in a certain location on the lounger OR places a PLACARD or card on the lounger/chair that would have to be moved or sat on top of, wind resistant, of course.  The staff member comes by no sooner than an hour later, which actually could be 2 hours after leaving the lounger/chair, if everything is exactly the same as the earlier visit or the card is still where it was left.  Sorry about that.  

This is just a concept, much more time would have to be put into it, of course.

I concur with your reasonable assessment 

Cheers

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

1) Put up "cubbies" somewhere around the pool deck (or in more than one location).  In the amount of space 4-5 loungers takes, you can probably have space for 50(?) people to store things.  Then those who are literally just wanting some place to keep their stuff off the ground are taken care of.

2) Determine how long being "gone" from the chair is acceptable.  I know 30 minutes has been stated on CC for years, but I can also see being in the pool for longer.  So, let's say 1 hour.  Every hour at the top of the hour, pool attendants go to every chair that's only occupied by a towel.  Fold the towel and drape it over the top of the chair.  Every chair they find at with the towel at the top of the chair gets emptied and everything in the chair gets taken to the towel station.

So, someone shows up at say 9:05am and puts their towel down.  Attendant puts the towel on the top of the chair at 10am.  At 11am, if the towel is still at the top, the towel gets taken away.  So yes, that's two hours the chair has been "hogged".  

Hey, it's a start.  No, it won't prevent someone from hogging multiple chairs, or coming back every hour or so and putting the towels back on the "seats", but it's something.

All reasonable possibilities and opinions !!

Wow I'm impressed I was starting to believe my rationality was outnumbered 100-1 on this thread

It seems like it may be more like 100-5 ...

Cheers :)

15 minutes ago, carlosalonsor said:

I don't remember quoting you or something but If the shoe fits...

I suggest that people that want to eat something go and grab some breakfast and then go to the pool lounges when they are ready to be there, not before. If everyone does this there would be enough chairs available for everyone. 😉

And my suggestion is that you could take that up with the Pool Attendant I.E. the guy in charge of the situation , because he disagrees with you.

Happy Sailing

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

That makes a lot of sense. It is easy to be delayed more than 30 minutes when going to get some food or whatever.

It certainly is more of an answer than charging, as someone suggested, by the hour for chairs... ridiculous.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LobsterStalker said:

And my suggestion is that you could take that up with the Pool Attendant I.E. the guy in charge of the situation , because he disagrees with you.

Happy Sailing

And there are those times when I wanted a drink and there wasn't a roaming bar server in sight so I had to leave my lounger, go down to the pool bar and stand in line at the over crowed, under staffed pool bar, to get my beer.  

3 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

That makes a lot of sense. It is easy to be delayed more than 30 minutes when going to get some food or whatever.

It certainly is more of an answer than charging, as someone suggested, by the hour for chairs... ridiculous.

There are a lot of water resorts, theme parks, ski resorts, Gyms....etc. that loan out lockers to store stuff when you are out and about. 

On the ships...a simple numbered cube storage behind towel station....I have seen those.  But I think those were the "lost and found".   

9 minutes ago, LobsterStalker said:

Happy Sailing

RCI should promote THE "Pool attendant" LobsterStalker constantly refers to, because he knows it all and he disagrees with a lot of us. 😉

Edited by carlosalonsor

5 minutes ago, island lady said:

There are a lot of water resorts, theme parks, ski resorts, Gyms....etc. that loan out lockers to store stuff when you are out and about. 

On the ships...a simple numbered cube storage behind towel station....I have seen those.  But I think those were the "lost and found".   

I use the lockers in the fitness center/spa change room if I don't want to go back to our cabin. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LobsterStalker said:

I understand what you are saying completely , but that doesn't change the fact that "chair hog" is becoming such a stereotyped term , that people who are acting 'reasonably ' get wrongfully lumped into the category .

To fix the "problem " to the satisfaction of the ones with the most extreme views on the subject , would mean that maybe 10% of people who use the chairs could do so as they are meant to be used . Some people seem to think it's like musical chairs and as soon as your A$$ leaves the cushion they should have the right to claim it.

I think for the speciality chairs, like the day beds it should be butts in seats. Everything else should be "actively using the pool area."

The real problem though are the people that are no where to be found for hours that are blocking out 6 chairs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OSUZorba said:

Same, but we then stay in the pool for hours and move around to different pools without moving our stuff (because generally there won't actually be a closer seat). We never leave the pool area with our stuff on a chair, though. I'm always worried we'll be classed as a "chair hog" with these policies, but think it'll probably be a net positive.

I wish they'd just put some cubbies by the wall and I'd just leave my junk in a cubby.

I wouldn't classify you as a "chair hog" as long as you are actively using the pool area and/or its amenities.  However, I'd like to ask, if you are "in the pool for hours and move around to different pools", why the need for a close lounger/chair to the pool?  My only concern is that there may be a young mother or father or both that would like to be close to their kid(s), and keep a close eye on them and be in close proximity to him/her/them as possible. 

<Different situation>  I know when we used to take our gkids on cruises or any pool venue, even though we didn't utilize the pool ourselves, we like to be as close to the pool as possible to keep an eye on them and other possible safety issues. It was always frustrating when we couldn't get close, only to watch people come back perfectly dry, an hour or more after we got settled in, just to check to see if their towel(s)/stuff was still there and then move on again.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I wouldn't classify you as a "chair hog" as long as you are actively using the pool area and/or its amenities.  However, I'd like to ask, if you are "in the pool for hours and move around to different pools", why the need for a close lounger/chair to the pool?  My only concern is that there may be a young mother or father or both that would like to be close to their kid(s), and keep a close eye on them and be in close proximity to him/her/them as possible. 

<Different situation>  I know when we used to take our gkids on cruises or any pool venue, even though we didn't utilize the pool ourselves, we like to be as close to the pool as possible to keep an eye on them and other possible safety issues. It was always frustrating when we couldn't get close, only to watch people come back perfectly dry, an hour or more after we got settled in, just to check to see if their towel(s)/stuff was still there and then move on again.  

I generally just grab a chair somewhere in the area. I never get close chairs as I don't care and they are usually taken. I get them on the upper deck a lot too. I only mentioned being close in the sense that I might not notice a post it on my chair when I'm at Splashaway and my stuff is on the tiered seating by the main pool.

I actually prefer being further away from the pool because by the time I'm drying off I can usually find a clump of available ones nearby to air dry for a minute.

• Like 1

There should be a sunbed attendant. If you are going to leave your bed for more than 30 minutes you would have to check in with him to get permission. If you come put down a towel and leave the area immediately, the towel is removed immediately unless you get a special permission slip for a really good reason.  I think a lot of the hogging is in response to the lack of policing of the rules and it's the only way to get a bed because of all the other hogs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Assuming Royal doesn't take up my feeding the Chair Hogs to the sharks idea ☹️, my next recommendation would be to go back to the good old days of locking the steerage passengers below deck. It wouldn't address the Chair Hog issue directly but there would be a lot more deck space and loungers for the 'upper classes'. 😊

Of course, since Mrs. Dawg and I only cruise balcony and above, my recommendation to Royal would be to include only insides and OV's in the new steerage class. 😉 

P.S. I still like my shark idea better but for some reason Royal seams has some kind of an issue feeding possible repeat customers to the sharks. 🤔

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, OSUZorba said:

I think for the speciality chairs, like the day beds it should be butts in seats. Everything else should be "actively using the pool area."

The real problem though are the people that are no where to be found for hours that are blocking out 6 chairs.

Agreed

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, garywatson said:

There should be a sunbed attendant. If you are going to leave your bed for more than 30 minutes you would have to check in with him to get permission. If you come put down a towel and leave the area immediately, the towel is removed immediately unless you get a special permission slip for a really good reason.  

Actually, I'm a little more passive or freedom-oriented than that.  When I pay thousands of $$$$, I don't think I need permission to move about. Monitor the chair, not me!  That's why I generally don't carry my phone with me or turn it off.  With the app, I believe they have the ability to track your movement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

Vintage '87 Harley Davidson "Great American Hog" T-shirt

Big difference, you paid for the seat and are entitled to "Hog It." In fact, you are licensed to "Hog It." I pity the poor person trying to take "your seat" on "your Hog"!

You just might go "Hog Wild" on them and rightly so.

😬🤣

21 minutes ago, garywatson said:

There should be a sunbed attendant. If you are going to leave your bed for more than 30 minutes you would have to check in with him to get permission. If you come put down a towel and leave the area immediately, the towel is removed immediately unless you get a special permission slip for a really good reason.  I think a lot of the hogging is in response to the lack of policing of the rules and it's the only way to get a bed because of all the other hogs.

Ok a who gets to decide what a really good reason is?  What if we figure out what the good reasons are and all start using them?  Really?  A permission slip from the hall monitor??

Edited by poocher

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

I'm not quite that radical.  However, I believe that if you are gone for more than an hour (I never thought 30 minutes was reasonable), then your "A$$" is out.  Now the trick is how/who starts the timing/clock. I believe the chairs should be uniquely numbered.  Staff comes by which could be up to an hour after you left the chair/lounger, notes the unique number and time in their handheld electronic device, and then folds the towel, whatever, in a unique fashion and places it in a certain location on the lounger OR places a PLACARD or card on the lounger/chair that would have to be moved or sat on top of, wind resistant, of course. 

It's been a standard feature for CCTV systems for a while now that you can tell it to detect objects that have been left unattended for more than a programmed amount of time. With a little bit of software work this could detect sunbeds with towels or other stuff on them that nobody has occupied for 30 minutes or an hour or whatever. A bonus is that the attendant could play the video back for anybody who complains about their stuff being tossed overboard.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Big difference, you paid for the seat and are entitled to "Hog It." In fact, you are licensed to "Hog It." I pity the poor person trying to take "your seat" on "your Hog"!

You just might go "Hog Wild" on them and rightly so.

😬🤣

LOL.  That's really not me.  Just a picture that showed up when I typed "Harley hog T-shirt.  

I'm not a Harley guy, not that there is anything wrong with them.  I'm a Goldwing guy or was before Virtigo. 

This was mine!

100_0290.JPG

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

LOL.  That's really not me.  Just a picture that showed up when I typed "Harley hog T-shirt.  

I'm not a Harley guy, not that there is anything wrong with them.  I'm a Goldwing guy or was before Virtigo. 

This was mine!

100_0290.JPG

SWEET!

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, garywatson said:

38 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Actually, I'm a little more passive or freedom-oriented than that.  When I pay thousands of $$$$, I don't think I need permission to move about. Monitor the chair, not me!  That's why I generally don't carry my phone with me or turn it off.  With the app, I believe they have the ability to track your movement.

I don't know about anybody else but by the time a go to the Loo and then get a snack it can be way more than 30 minutes especially on seadays with all the lineups. I do hope the pool attendant would grant expedited L and L passes (Loo and Lunch) as I'd hate to have an accident waiting in line for to get his/her permission to go for a whizz.  

image.jpeg.48a2eb2642ae121032a7ad89fb016025.jpeg

😇

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Haha 1